• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 4 Screenshots (Grunt new design revealed)

If I'm not wrong, you only loose heat through radiation in a vacuum and it's a slow process. So if they have something to breath it woudn't be insta-death.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Did I say exposure to space would result in instant death? I simply said that a Grunt being exposed to oxygen is no more dangerous than being exposed to the vacuum of space. Yeesh.

Flipyap

I'm a fan of the established lore from a handful of games and books, and Im interested to know if there is a reason 343 is straying from it a bit (or possibly breaking it). Grunts wear masks to breathe methane when in an earth-like atmosphere. I just want to know what's up with the new looking grunts, isn't that what part of this thread is about, the new character shots?

I'm just curious, maybe you should just "leave it at that".

Also, food nipple.
It's just shitty art. They have exposed mouths because they're gross and 343 wanted the enemies to look like shitty monsters. Because Halo needs to grow up, or something.
You won't get an explanation for why they suddenly grew new toes, fingernails, toenails, lost their cute little Grunty dicks and why they suddenly don't have an exoskeleton and instead have loose, leathery skin with scales and scabs that look exactly like Elites' (also Locusts'), even though they're not related to them in any way.

Or you'll get an explanation and it will be super sad technobabble.

Myyke

Neo Member
I'm a fan of the established lore from a handful of games and books, and Im interested to know if there is a reason 343 is straying from it a bit (or possibly breaking it). Grunts wear masks to breathe methane when in an earth-like atmosphere. I just want to know what's up with the new looking grunts, isn't that what part of this thread is about, the new character shots?

I'm just curious, maybe you should just "leave it at that".

Also, food nipple.

Heretic_grunts.jpg

Heretic Grunt says hi!

There have been visual changes to grunts and pretty much every other character in every new iteration of the Halo games, this is nothing new.

This is of course just one of presumably several different grunt variants in Halo 4, judging from the design it may even signify that it is from a different faction (just like the heretic grunts). Grunts with full-face helmets have been confirmed already, perhaps "traditional" face-mask grunts will also make an appearance.

d88b95cd0ec199cec374d777e82ffb8bcb6bff4e.jpg__576x480_q85.jpg

It's just shitty art. They have exposed mouths because they're gross and 343 wanted the enemies to look like shitty monsters. Because Halo needs to grow up, or something.
You won't get an explanation for why they suddenly grew new toes, fingernails, toenails, lost their cute little Grunty dicks and why they suddenly don't have an exoskeleton and instead have loose, leathery skin with scales and scabs that look exactly like Elites' (also Locusts'), even though they're not related to them in any way.

Brazzers is going to take over Halo 4.

Mik2121

less than 90 fov again? lol

Absolutely no game on consoles have 90 fov, and they don't need it. On PC games you play closer to the monitor, which is the reason why the fov is bigger (still not 90, though I know you can modify it in many games).

If you want 90 fov, you're going to be waiting a long time until you see that on consoles...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

wait, what? lol

i never noticed

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Did I say exposure to space would result in instant death? I simply said that a Grunt being exposed to oxygen is no more dangerous than being exposed to the vacuum of space. Yeesh.

Sorry, part of my post went missing:
me said:
If I'm not wrong, you only loose heat through radiation in a vacuum and it's a slow process. So if they have something to breath it woudn't be insta-death freeze having their bodies exposed to a vacuum like it's usually depicted in media.
It was regarding to this:
So no matter how cold it gets on their homeworld, it's still far warmer than the vacuum of space.

Relax man. It was just a science bit. We are all friends here... Well, except the trolls and haters. Fuck them!

Monocle

The maskless Grunts look awful, like something out of Gear of War, or angry fungus monsters that gnawed on too many sour apples. The Elites aren't bad. I do wish they'd retained their sleek appearance from Halo CE, where the clean lines of their armor really stand out. Maybe it's the detailed knobbly hides that put me off. Don't these guys look cooler?

I don't know, the new Elite models are probably more impressive in motion.

Cortana is cool, but needs moar translucency. She looks weirdly tangible. Also, fix that weak chin. We don't need another Captain Derp.

No complaints whatsoever about the lighting and the Chief.

EvB

I could be wrong, but if they moved to an async networking solution, they would probably have to go with a much simpler A.I.

And physics. The experience wouldn't be great in halo with asynchronous co-op.

At least the version used in the main games works really well. Halo CEA's was unplayable

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
These screens look absolutely amazing. Halo 4 is now without a doubt my most anticipated game this year.

Monocle

I suspect that the 'tangible' nature is pretty deliberate and related to her battle with rampancy </speculation>
Yeah, maybe. It would be interesting if 343 tied her new appearance to the animated short Origins from Halo Legends, where she appears to physically wipe away mist from the Chief's cryopod window. I think Frankie mentioned on the commentary that Cortana was an unreliable narrator and might have been hallucinating or something, but still, it's a potential connection.

Petrichor

Get real; bungie redesigned every enemy and character in every single one of their halo games without a fiction explanation:

halo-grunt%25255B1%25255D.jpg

300px-Halo_3_Grunt-1-.jpg

I don't remember a narrative explnation for why the grunts were all suddenly albino in Halo 3. Bungie used every single game to refine the art, and we should afford 343i the same courtesy. I don't think the new grunts look bad, especially seeing as I haven't seen them in motion.

Flipyap

You know someone seriously fucked up when Gears of War's Wretches start looking like a more faithful "horror-ish" adaptation of the Grunt design.

njydal.jpg

Get real; bungie redesigned every enemy and character in every single one of their halo games without a fiction explanation:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JlZMvcblE1Q/TWgkQQ9S2TI/AAAAAAAAAAs/B3f5p6na03w/s1600/halo-grunt%25255B1%25255D.jpg[ IMG]

[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QLiV6S82B_E/TNZxBGk0b8I/AAAAAAAAABE/T9hPBYZ8Xc0/s1600/300px-Halo_3_Grunt-1-.jpg[ IMG]

I don't remember a narrative explnation for why the grunts were all suddenly albino in Halo 3. Bungie used every single game to refine the art, and we should afford 343i the same courtesy. I don't think the new grunts look bad, especially seeing as I haven't seen them in motion.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, and none of their redesigns completely disregarded older designs. This is pointless and thoughtless.
Their biggest departure was Reach's Elite design with those silly sausage toes, but that still wasn't nearly as radical (and funnily enough, for Elites, 343 went back and adapted Halo 3 Elites' basic anatomy into the new "detail fetish" art style). There are different art styles, and then there are redesigns that don't respect the material.
This isn't about adapting the design into a new, more detailed art style, it's just someone going "hmm... what makes a good monster? BIRD CLAWS AND SCALES!" which happens to also be exactly what they did with Elites. They're basically making everything look like mutated, inbred Jackals.

You know, Wookies are pretty cool, but I think they'd be cooler if Chewbacca grew horns in Empire Strikes Back. That fur? Kind of silly. Scales and scabs would look way more [I]mature[/I].

Also, I don't want a narrative explanation for this. It would be the second lamest thing they could do.

Yeah, this is what confuses me the most. Grunts are arthropods.

These things don't really look like arthropods.

NBtoaster

Why are people arguing over the grunts breathing when there's also a screen where it's fully masked? The tube thing might just be for show, or you might be able to blow it's mask off or something.

EvB

I'd never even noticed the grunts were meant to be crab like at all. Wasn't there a bit in Halo Legends where they were kinda like leather skinned baby gorillas?

I'd never even noticed the grunts were meant to be crab like at all. Wasn't there a bit in Halo Legends where they were kinda like leather skinned baby gorillas?

Me neither. And I like to think that I'm pretty up to date with all the Halo lore.

And I think the part you're talking about is when the grunts are returned to their home world after the Halos fired.

Proelite

Grunts without masks are much cuter now. I can actually see myself owning one as a pet. The Halo 2 and 3 grunts without masks are kill-it-with-fire in appearance.

GhaleonEB

The way the Grunt looks without their mask is fine; I think what's really lacking is a good armor design. Reach's Grunts were broken into distinct classes and they all looked awesome.

Reach_Grunts.jpg

In that department, the new Grunt is rather...boring. (We've seen more than one, but they're not as distinct as Reach's were.)

I just noticed how much of the angularity and chunkiness to the Grunts was smoothed over in the Halo 4 version; those angles gave them a distinctive profile that is now gone.

That Reach Grunts pic is really good, and I do love how the ranks are differentiated between colors and armor permutations. I suppose H4 has more then one generic grunt style/color, though.

I thought I liked the new Grunt design, until I started noticing difference that don't make sense. Extra toes? Scaly skin? Shark-shaped head? I know it's just one of potentially several Grunt designs, but still.

Zeal

Banned
I posted this before, but if you read the article, Cortana makes a comment how these Covenant aren't wearing standard military issue or whatever. They are like a rogue scavenging party who aren't keeping with the human-cove treaty. Anyway, it's just story related designs.

That Reach Grunts pic is really good, and I do love how the ranks are differentiated between colors and armor permutations. I suppose H4 has more then one generic grunt style/color, though.

I wouldn't expect any where near Reach levels, they could just through new variations in with the old assets, 343 look to be starting from scratch (or at least close to it).

Conor 419

Banned
*Stretches*

Jinkies chums! It's been a while, hope you've all had a good Easter. I've been dying to post my impressions for this game, I think it's looking really good.

Naturally, the first thing I will talk about is the most remarkable feature - the graphics. I still do not physically understand how they've pushed the 360 so far, I personally would argue that it's one of the systems best looking games. Not just because of technical fidelity but also the combination of the wonderful art direction they're taking with the game. The Metroid Prime vibe has been rightly commented on, it's exciting to think how atmospheric this game could be. I really hope it's open world.

Secondly, Spartan Op's! The downright atrocious name cloaks how wonderful this feature really is. In a way though, I'm surprised they constrict the main campaign to single player only and then have Spartan Op's fulfil the co-op experience people love so much. I thought maybe that would have meant we would have received a campaign which is heavily focused on delivering that sense of isolation in the world. I also thought that would have left more co-op focused creativity for the Spartan Op's missions, maybe even a player count increase! It would have been wonderful to have an eight player co-op experience in Halo.

Thirdly, Character Design. The Master Chief and Cortana look great. I see that the latter has been humanised a lot more, I hope she doesn't get completely damselised as a character in Halo 4 though. She is one of the most powerful beings in the Halo universe and has so far been a pretty decent female role in video games. So I'm hoping we get recognition of that power and at some point, I even hope that she's the one saving a vulnerable Chief at some point! The Covenant look kinda weird. The grunts do remind me of designs from Gears. At the end of the day though, what truly characterises the Grunts can only be seen in motion, I'll reserve my judgment on something else than shots which make them look huge and scary.

The Red Elite design is great, they look really menacing. It's totally reminiscent of Elite Knights from the Medievil period. For example, I think

looks like Meryn Trant in

(Mild Game of Thrones spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pj97yhCOmk#t=2m20s

at 2.23

Lastly, general multiplayer stuff

The Positives

- Drop in drop out is a fantastic addition, though I wouldn't want to see it in competitive multiplayer, I can't really say I like the idea of joining an intense CTF match half way through, it wouldn't feel right. It might also mess up ranking as well.

- The maps look pretty. Warhouse has the classic Halo skybox that I'd come to expect. Wraparound is just flat out beautiful and really has that Science Fiction vibe that Reach totally destroyed. I'm really excited to see the outdoor BTB maps in Halo 4.

Neutral

- No Elites in multiplayer...why?
- Linking multiplayer with the lore. Though, does the fact that it all takes place virtually mean that we could see maps interchange between eachother halfway through a game? That'd be crazy.
- New medals
- No respawn delay - Just please do not fuck up the spawning locations.
- Weapon placement - Just please do not fuck up the spawning locations.
- Non aesthetic unlocks and loadouts. - Risky, really risky. To be fair, if they set up a classic Halo playlist right from the get go, I think I'll be okay with this. I don't see it mixing well with competitive play though, I like everyone being on the same level.

If MW2 is Capitalism - The game, and Mario Kart Wii is Communism - The game. Then I feel Halo 3 struck a really nice intermediate between the two, Reach went more right wing. I'm worried Halo 4 is entering Palin territory.

Negative

- 'Matchmaking'. For FUCK sake 343i. Custom game browsing and Dedicated Servers are an absolute necessity to Halo, they will improve and fix an absolute plethora of issues. Please introduce them, we pay for Xbox live after all. So why should we be getting an inferior online service to that of the TF2 or CSS players?

- Armour Abilities over equipment - Hot damn, the Bubble Shield, Regenerator and Power Drainer were absolutely beautiful additions to Halo. It's regressive to remove them, I'm really hoping they return in the form of grenades or are incorporated into armour abilities, because these were really cool things to have in a Halo game.

- Is it me or does the gif of the BR make it look like it controls like a DMR? It doesn't seem to have a proper three shot burst like the one from Halo 3.

-------------------

Golly, that was a large post! Either way though, this game is looking good chums. I really can't wait for November 6th.

- Gee whiz chums, I forgot to comment on the music! I think the sample track was fantastic, I really hope we get some of the more heart meltingly beautiful themes from Halo 2 such as 'Ghosts of Reach' being revisited though. That track was neat!

How is this guy not badass?

ioS7OKEwoq0ko.png

Love that sword glow, it actually looks like its made of energy.. I hope the new sword has a more unique look rather than basically a flat glowing texture.
The way the Grunt looks without their mask is fine; I think what's really lacking is a good armor design. Reach's Grunts were broken into distinct classes and they all looked awesome.

Reach_Grunts.jpg

In that department, the new Grunt is rather...boring. (We've seen more than one, but they're not as distinct as Reach's were.)

I just noticed how much of the angularity and chunkiness to the Grunts was smoothed over in the Halo 4 version; those angles gave them a distinctive profile that is now gone.

I like the new grunts face and armor design, but yeah the restyle of the hands and feet really disappoint me. The new hands/feet look a lot more generic.. I really hope they consider redesigning those specific parts more on par with the Reach design, while retaining the majority of the changes they are showing here.

Top Bottom