• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new heavenly sword pics

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
a Master Ninja said:
Question to NeoGAF veterans: What is the point of screenshot threads? That is to say, what is acceptable discussion? Can we say what we like and don't like about the visuals presented in the screens? Games obviously look much different in motion and screens don't give us much information about gameplay, good or bad. Are these just opportunities for people to make "I can't wait for this game" statements? Would saying something along the lines of "her face looks almost real but I don't like how her hair looks next to it" be frowned upon/bannable? I understand the difference between critiquing visuals and trolling a game, and criticizing screens of a work-in-progress game is fairly pointless, but is it some sort of violation to do so?

You answered your own question. Critique the graphics just don't troll. Small example to get you started

baseless comments like "this looks like shit" is trolling.

not just GAF, all respectable forums

brokenwatch said:
Are there higher res versions of these pictures coming soon?

Gamepro would have recieved massive screens for publication reasons, unless Gamepro made a deal these screens should appear elsewhere in their native resolution shortly. Speaking of which, does this game run in 1080p or 720p?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
a Master Ninja said:
Gamepro would have recieved massive screens for publication reasons, unless Gamepro made a deal these screens should appear elsewhere in their native resolution shortly. Speaking of which, does this game run in 1080p or 720p?
720p.

a Master Ninja said:
Question to NeoGAF veterans: What is the point of screenshot threads? That is to say, what is acceptable discussion? Can we say what we like and don't like about the visuals presented in the screens? Games obviously look much different in motion and screens don't give us much information about gameplay, good or bad. Are these just opportunities for people to make "I can't wait for this game" statements? Would saying something along the lines of "her face looks almost real but I don't like how her hair looks next to it" be frowned upon/bannable? I understand the difference between critiquing visuals and trolling a game, and criticizing screens of a work-in-progress game is fairly pointless, but is it some sort of violation to do so?

Well, there is a right way and a wrong of criticizing things. I'm not saying you wouldn't have to put up with people giving you crap even if your criticism is perfectly reasonable, but I think the reason people are so touchy is in part because the critical take on just about everything these days can be quite overbearing, and because reasonable criticism tends to get swept up in the torrent of idiotic commentary that follows media from any console exclusive. The standards of trolling has really gone down quite a bit over the past few years, in pace with the standards for games themselves becoming higher.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Master Ninja said:
What is the point of screenshot threads?
Going by what I've learnd from reading this forum, I would have to say:
To troll the bejesus out of your 'enemy' platforms. It usually has nothing to do with games presented(some of the best trolling is posted without even looking at media, or confusing the platforms that the screenshots are for), and it's linearly proportional to the popularity of the game, multiplied by the constant of target company hatred.

Anyway now if you'll excuse me, I have some GC+ threads to troll.

Fafalada said:
Going by what I've learnd from reading this forum, I would have to say:
To troll the bejesus out of your 'enemy' platforms. It usually has nothing to do with games presented(some of the best trolling is posted without even looking at media, or confusing the platforms that the screenshots are for), and it's linearly proportional to the popularity of the game, multiplied by the constant of target company hatred.

Anyway now if you'll excuse me, I have some GC+ threads to troll.

Dude what game are you working on now???

FAF RACERRRR!!!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The graphics aren't that amazing, but the game itself looks really nice. I played the TGS demo about 3 times and in my opinion it was the most fun game on display at the time. I really love action games like this and when I get a PS3 later this year I plan to pick this up as well. I expect it to be one of the "must have" PS3 titles.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
EverSoTrendy said:
I really don't like the lighting or the texture work at all.

Didn't think you would say anything differently. The textures and lighting is the great thing about this game's graphics.

mckmas8808

Kolgar said:
I'm just going to say it: These screens don't look like the early shots we saw. Remember the awesome snow scenes and the one that looked like a Japanese garden? Like freakin' CGI. And probably was, because the environs on display here lack that texturing and hyper-realism.

Looks like a pretty standard next-gen game and that's it.

The snow scene was real-time. The devs said so themselves.

Pimpwerx

Meh. nAo and DeanoC get slurped enough for this game, but what's one more? Looks hot. This is actually one of the better engines out there as everything casts and receives a shadow. Yeah, seems kinda trivial except how many games so far this gen have actually been able to pull that off?

What we're not seeing? The physics model. Remember, this game's first GDC presentation was on physics, not graphics. We're only seeing the tip of the iceberg here. Lastly, if matching/beating a face modelled in Maya isn't good enough for next-gen, then nothing is. Yes, the actual facial structure has gone through a good amount of modifications, but the actual detail level has only improved IMO. Not sure why people feel the need to troll anything these days.

Graphics are so good, and the differences so mnimimal that if you troll one game, you could pretty much troll them all. There are ugly next-gen games, and everthing else. This is so not even close to ugly that it's almost embarassing seeing people trying to troll it. Reserve that sort of trash talk for titles that deserve it, like that Sega golf game for the PS3. PEACE.

Nozi

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
This is actually one of the better engines out there as everything casts and receives a shadow. Yeah, seems kinda trivial except how many games so far this gen have actually been able to pull that off?

a few off the top of my head..

Splinter Cell: DA
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
Kameo
Saint's Row
Viva Pinata
Just Cause
GRAW / GRAW 2
Rainbow Six: Vegas (daytime exteriors)

I think the lighting looks good, but it needs more post effects as others have mentioned.

AAK

Dunno if this is old or new, but there is also an artwork that I haven't seen before in the website:

108391-3-1.jpg

AAK said:
Dunno if this is old or new, but there is also an artwork that I haven't seen before in the website:

108391-3-1.jpg

her face looks perfect here! Please be the final version!!

mckmas8808 said:
Like what?

Motion blurring and depth of field. I think the engine supports both but they haven't implemented em yet

Nozi

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Like what?

Bloom, fake HDR.. some kind of full screen effect, even if its just high contrast. The early shots were full of this and its perfect for this kind of fantasy game.

KTallguy

Banned
AAK said:

108391-3-1.jpg

That needs to be the cover of the goddamn box.

Nozi said:
Bloom, fake HDR.. some kind of full screen effect, even if its just high contrast. The early shots were full of this and its perfect for this kind of fantasy game.

The game looks great without a bunch of heavy bloom and blur. HDR is great if used tastefully, but lately it's way overdone in many games. Honestly I don't see anything wrong with the game as it is right now.

mintylurb

What the hell happend in this thread? jebus christ..Anyway, what's been shown so far appear to look pretty good but it's tough to tell from those small pictures. So, I'll have to reserve my judgement until I see some bigger game play pictures and videos.

Mmmkay

I think we're just waiting for someone to use the word 'unbiased' in a sentence, and then maybe some thinly disguised allusions to Nazi Germany and we should be done.

jaypah

fortified_concept said:
I think you're comparing these screens to the concept art pics Ninja theory released long ago and everyone knew was concept art/target render because there was no freaking character on screen.

:lol I don't usually use lols as a response to posts (I think it's annoying) but -damn- I can almost taste the fear and need for damage control. And this goes for the rest of the pathetic posts from the usual suspects.

ok, not to step on your toes because i know how you rock (you're a fan of a particular brand of console...nothing wrong with that) but really.....the texturing in these latest pics don't seem a little standard next-gen (or lower at times) to you? i mean....the game still looks good but it has a few faults. no game is perfect and if this game looks like anything more than a standard next-gen game to you then maybe you're a bit too wrapped up in the 'war'. i don't understand why stating that this is standard next-gen stuff equates to 'oh teh noes, it must be fear!' in your mind but....wow. RFoM, GRAW, GoW, Motorstorm, Lost Planet, and a bunch of other next-gen games say hi. the game looks good and is 1 of 2 reasons that i'm saving for a PS3 this year (the other is Motorstorm, check my post history) but at this point it's what i expect from next-gen. i'm just saying that with so many good looking games across 360 and PS3 i don't understand why saying this is standard next-gen graphics warrants a smiley.....especially when you don't dole them out too often.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
The artwork is damn awesome. The game though looks a little underwhelming in the new pics. It should be alot of fun though... Im probably going to get RSI in my thumb from playing this.

jaypah

frAntic_Frog said:
yea somethin is definitely "off" about that rope screen.....it looked a lot better in the Heroes footage, not so flat. maybe its cuz the game looks better in motion? or is that just a dev screen with the effects and textures disabled?
or maybe the game got downgraded? lol j/k

yeah, that's probably just an older screen than the Heroes footage. Heroes footage looked pretty good and i'm sure that fog wasn't present.

Kolgar

fortified_concept said:
:lol I don't usually use lols as a response to posts (I think it's annoying) but -damn- I can almost taste the fear and need for damage control. And this goes for the rest of the pathetic posts from the usual suspects.

Fear and damage control, eh? Sorry, but there's no need. I own both 360 and PS3, thank you very much. And having played the best that those systems have to offer, yeah, I'm not blown away by the lighting and textures on display here.

My expectations for next gen have not yet been met by either system, and my only "fear" is that they may never be.

So control that damage, friend. :)

mckmas8808

Nozi said:

Guys the game has HDR and DOF. I think we ALL knew this. :lol

What a mess this thread is. This game looks amazing and trolls are crying about the details on tree branches........:lol

Whatever....I'm almost glad this game isn't coming out until September. I should have more money saved up for a PS3.

mckmas8808

Kolgar said:
Fear and damage control, eh? Sorry, but there's no need. I own both 360 and PS3, thank you very much. And having played the best that those systems have to offer, yeah, I'm not blown away by the lighting and textures on display here.

My expectations for next gen have not yet been met by either system, and my only "fear" is that they may never be.

So control that damage, friend. :)

So what were you expecting?

I'm not sure what to think. At times it looks amazing, at other times only a little better than Ninja Gaiden did on the Xbox.

However, in motion with the fantastic animations, it looked fantastic at E306 and I'm sure looks even better now.

Top Bottom