• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Kart 7 screens, trailer, and Iwata asks

Alrus

All that bitching because of Sprite based crowds? Who even cares about crowds in games? Is GT5 a lazy title because the crowds is reusing the same assets over and over resulting in 15 white dudes with the same red t-shirt? No because it's really not important and no time should be wasted by developers on such a superficial thing.

Also this game has plenty of innovation and you'd have to be crazy/trolling to pretend it's the same game as mario kart DS.

Tiktaalik said:
Go ahead reward mediocrity.

Personally I'd like to see what the Mario Kart team could really do if Nintendo demanded the substantial quality and innovation that we see from the Mario and Zelda titles.
Give us an example of such innovation.

Each Mario Kart, with the possible exception of Super Circuit, is quite different from the last.

Akai

Alrus said:
All that bitching because of Sprite based crowds? Who even cares about crowds in games? Is GT5 a lazy title because the crowds is reusing the same assets over and over resulting in 15 white dudes with the same red t-shirt? No because it's really not important and no time should be wasted by developers on such a superficial thing.

I don't know about you, but when I play Mario Kart I just sit staring at the crowd until the race is finished. Give me pointless eye candy, Nintendo!

I imagine the sprite-based crowd is to keep the framerate 60fps in 2D and 3D modes.

I'd rather have a high framerate than crowd models, but I guess to think that is to "reward mediocrity."

Tiktaalik

Jaded Alyx said:
Give us an example of such innovation.

Each Mario Kart, with the possible exception of Super Circuit, is quite different from the last.

When I play a Mario game I feel like I'm playing a new experience from scratch. With many Zelda games I get the same feeling. Even though these games are in many ways formulaic I feel like I'm experiencing so many new things and that Nintendo is really letting their creativity go wild.

I just don't get that feeling from the Mario Kart series. It's just a bit too iterative for me I suppose and I feel like they're merely checking off the checkboxes and ensuring that they're hitting all the fanservice marks. When I say "0.5 update" I'm talking about small things like shyguy being added. I love shyguy and that's great that he's in the game, but that's not a real substantial addition when you really think about it.

I think there is hope for this title, because lets be honest I'm getting a bad impression from a handful of screens. I'm hoping to be impressed in the future by the battle mode, which we don't know much about, and spot pass features and other online features.

Emitan

Tiktaalik said:
When I play a Mario game I feel like I'm playing a new experience from scratch. With many Zelda games I get the same feeling. Even though these games are in many ways formulaic I feel like I'm experiencing so many new things and that Nintendo is really letting their creativity go wild.

I just don't get that feeling from the Mario Kart series. It's just a bit too iterative for me I suppose and I feel like they're merely checking off the checkboxes and ensuring that they're hitting all the fanservice marks. When I say "0.5 update" I'm talking about small things like shyguy being added. I love shyguy and that's great that he's in the game, but that's not a real substantial addition when you really think about it.

I think there is hope for this title, because lets be honest I'm getting a bad impression from a handful of screens. I'm hoping to be impressed in the future by the battle mode, which we don't know much about, and spot pass features and other online features.
Did you miss the whole tires, hanglider, and propeller customization because you can swim and fly now? Saying things like new characters are considered major changes is being dishonest.

Tiktaalik said:

What more can you really add to Mario Kart beyond what we've already seen?

New tracks?
New characters?
New items?
Underwater driving?
Hang gliding?
Customisable Karts?

I think you must be just looking at the visuals and saying, "yep, that looks like MKDS and MKWii so nothing's changed!"

Yagharek

ShockingAlberto said:
I imagine the sprite-based crowd is to keep the framerate 60fps in 2D and 3D modes.

I'd rather have a high framerate than crowd models, but I guess to think that is to "reward mediocrity."

HOW DARE YOU!

WillyFive

I wish we had the ability to make our own tracks like in Modnation though. Modnation as a game was not up to the standards for a Mario Kart alternative, but it certainly had an idea that would be perfect for Mario Kart.

Emitan

Willy105 said:
I wish we had the ability to make our own tracks like in Modnation though. Modnation as a game was not up to the standards for a Mario Kart alternative, but it certainly had an idea that would be perfect for Mario Kart.
I want Modnation, Mario Kart, and Trackmania to merge together and make the perfect racing game.

GeekyDad

Tiktaalik said:
When I play a Mario game I feel like I'm playing a new experience from scratch. ...

I just don't get that feeling from the Mario Kart series. It's just a bit too iterative for me...

To Nintendo's credit, they don't vomit one out every year (CoD, Madden, Tiger Woods). It's a respectable update, but I can see where you're coming from all the same. Me, I'm just happy to be able to keep enjoying it. It's a fun formula, one more dependent upon the groups of folks who come together to compete either online or in the same room. Few series do as well to create that sort of laid-back yet competitive playground.

watershed

Banned
When people talk about Nintendo games not changing enough what games/series are they comparing Nintendo games to that do constantly innovate? From my perspective most of the highly regarded, critically acclaimed, million seller game franchises do the same thing Nintendo games do, add a few new mechanics, moves, items, mix up the presentation, etc but more or less the same game from the 1st to the 3rd or 5th.

For example a non-Nintendo series I love the Halo series, over time has added new weapons, duel wielding, new vehicles, and improvements to online play but a Halo game still feels like a Halo game.

Uncharted is the same, new settings, new set pieces, some new moves. The series has improved but it hasn't radically changed or innovated from 1 to the soon to be released 3.

Then we have the annual edition games like CoD, NBA 2K_, Tiger Woods, etc.

I don't think Nintendo is alone in this at all and in fact I think they do better than most.
Also this isn't a stealth reference to Tiktaalik's post just talking about a conversation that always comes up in Nintendo threads.

ShockingAlberto said:

Exactly. It's not like Nintendo doesn't have tons of toad models from every Mario game on Wii and GC laying around they could throw in there. The crowd is a texture on a plane because the want to keep the FPS at 60 even in 3D.

Tiktaalik

Basically what Mario Kart isn't doing is surprising me. Yes there are updates, but they're the obvious ones and they're underwhelming ones. That's why I'm not impressed. With most other top tier Nintendo franchises I'm surprised and amazed and I say wow but that just hasn't been happening with Mario Kart.

I think the hang glider has some potential, but from the videos I've seen the levels haven't used it all that effectively. You're in the air, and then you're back on the ground. We've seen coins in the air to grab, but I haven't gotten the feeling that flying is adding a substantial layer to the racing gameplay.

It's early and we haven't seen a great deal from the flying and underwater gameplay so hopefully there's more to it than what it appears to be.

Once again I'm worried I won't like the game but the only Mario Kart I haven't enjoyed the "gimmick" is Double Dash. And even that was better than I thought it was going to be. I sort of hope this is the last Mario Kart though and they make Nintendo Kart for the Wii-U. There's only so much new you can bring to this series.

FyreWulff

Tiktaalik said:
8nFNN.jpg

Nice sprites for the fans here.

Nintendo is going to make a fortune on this game because they're clearly just trotting out the same old and having a handful of guys port it to 3DS.

Fully modeling the crowd would be a waste of processing time for a) a racing game where realistic simulation of crowds has never been a draw, and b) something you're going to be flying by so fast it won't even matter anyway.

If they made them 3D then people would bitch about how extremely low poly they would be to keep performance up. Sprites are still used even on 360 and PS3.

Utako

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
What more can you really add to Mario Kart beyond what we've already seen?

New tracks?
New characters?
New items?
Underwater driving?
Hang gliding?
Customisable Karts?

I think you must be just looking at the visuals and saying, "yep, that looks like MKDS and MKWii so nothing's changed!"
To be fair, the game is insultingly ugly.

Emitan

Utako said:
I'll check out the latest videos, but Shy Guy in this shot is CAR VAULT levels of primitive.

Mg5Jm.jpg
And in this one he looks way better:
8nFNN.jpg

My only guess is that this is a byproduct of game being in development and we're seeing screenshots of 2 different detail levels of the same model.

After MK:Wii, I was definitely hoping for a serious evolution in the series. This doesn't look to be a revolution, but there's enough new stuff here to keep me interested.

Building your own kart, piece-by-piece, should bring interesting balance, with hopefully a variety of karts being viable.

Gliders should be really interesting as a way to explore new avenues of the courses. Submarine-karts hopefully add a new dimension if the physics change underwater, rather than simply being a cosmetic change.

Then, there's the expected stuff like new characters, karts, and courses. The last stuff I care about is if Nintendo uses sprites for the crowd or the 3D. I care about gameplay, and this entry does look to add enough for myself as a fan of the series who does want innovations within.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This game is 60fps locked. It could look like a Dreamcast game and I wouldn't really mind... I guess since DK's plastic fur in MK Wii I've sort of had low expectations. :p

But in 3D at 60fps, I can't imagine it'll be an eye sore.

Freezie KO said:
After MK:Wii, I was definitely hoping for a serious evolution in the series. This doesn't look to be a revolution, but there's enough new stuff here to keep me interested.

Building your own kart, piece-by-piece, should bring interesting balance, with hopefully a variety of karts being viable.

Gliders should be really interesting as a way to explore new avenues of the courses. Submarine-karts hopefully add a new dimension if the physics change underwater, rather than simply being a cosmetic change.

Then, there's the expected stuff like new characters, karts, and courses. The last stuff I care about is if Nintendo uses sprites for the crowd or the 3D. I care about gameplay, and this entry does look to add enough for myself as a fan of the series who does want innovations within.

Well consider levels that you would have instantly just died in before are now being GREATLY expanded (changes have been made to old levels even) I'd say that's pretty significant

Is Mario Kart a series known for being particularly beautiful?

I still remember being kind of disgusted by Mario Kart 64 and its sprite racers.

So disgusted that I played that game for probably over three hundred hours in multiplayer.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Vustadumas said:
Please play like the DS version, and not the shitty Wii version! PLEASEEEEEEE!!!
minus that snaking bullshit. I got fucking arthritis from that shit because I couldn't stop playing it.

Stupid skeleton in the tank you've ruined my hands.

Gravijah

ShockingAlberto said:

i'd say yes, but that's just my personal opinion.

also re: shy guy, isn't that red/white kart he's in straight from MKDS?

Erethian

ShockingAlberto said:

I still remember being kind of disgusted by Mario Kart 64 and its sprite racers.

So disgusted that I played that game for probably over three hundred hours in multiplayer.

Not particularly. A lot of people were expressiong disappointment in Mario Kart Wii's graphics before that came out, too.

And we all saw how that turned out for Nintendo.

I've never had any issue with how any previous Mario Kart game has looked, Double Dash feeling it necessary to add those cartoon-y black eyes to fucking everything aside. This new game is the same case.

And I wouldn't say it looks like a half-arsed effort either (annoyance over Nintendo fans getting excited over the most dull of character choices aside). They've taken out some of the stupid random item bullshit from the more recent entries, (sort of) worked in my favorite aspect of Diddy Kong Racing and brought back older stuff like the coins from SMK/MKSS which I liked.

Erethian said:
Not particularly. A lot of people were expressiong disappointment in Mario Kart Wii's graphics before that came out, too.

And we all saw how that turned out for Nintendo.

Hell, I remember people bitching up a storm about Double Dash's graphics on here back in the day.

Celine

Billychu said:
Amazing how no one remembers how Mario Kart DS looked. You guys must have had magical DSs because Mario Kart DS is no looker while MK7 looks like a Wii game.
For the platform it was on, MK DS is a marvel.
One of the best example if we consider it was released in 2005.

That said 7 looks better, just for the better texture filtering.

likeGdid

Looks neat, and hopefully the online is good. Maybe not, but hope's good.

What always concerns me with Mario Kart is the rubber banding. I wonder how that'll turn out.

Billychu said:
And in this one he looks way better:
8nFNN.jpg

My only guess is that this is a byproduct of game being in development and we're seeing screenshots of 2 different detail levels of the same model.
Maybe that's a premium car :D

but seriously, maybe that's a retro mode or something, with everything looking retro, bar your own car? I mean, the rest of the circuit in that shot looks ass too.

Kind of a mixture of MK DS and MK DD graphics.
You should play MK DS more Shiggy, and it looks like SHIT, the trailer doesn't resemble MK DS at all.

Yagharek

Since when has Mario Kart ever been about high end visuals? Its always been clean, smooth running and colourful. The last thing I expect to see is the fully modelled undercarriage of a go kart, or bump mapped nostril hairs in crowd characters.

Astrosanity said:
I've never had any issue with how any previous Mario Kart game has looked, Double Dash feeling it necessary to add those cartoon-y black eyes to fucking everything aside. This new game is the same case.

And I wouldn't say it looks like a half-arsed effort either (annoyance over Nintendo fans getting excited over the most dull of character choices aside). They've taken out some of the stupid random item bullshit from the more recent entries, (sort of) worked in my favorite aspect of Diddy Kong Racing and brought back older stuff like the coins from SMK/MKSS which I liked.

speaking of that, i'd KILL for a new Diddy Kong Racing :O

RandomVince said:
Since when has Mario Kart ever been about high end visuals? Its always been clean, smooth running and colourful. The last thing I expect to see is the fully modelled undercarriage of a go kart, or bump mapped nostril hairs in crowd characters.
This particular shot looks ass, its just bad:

http://i.imgur.com/Mg5Jm.jpg

but its the only shot that looks like shit, and as other have mentioned, it may be a work in progress, or as I suspect, a wholly retro mode or something which is very unlikely.

Synless

Andrex said:
This game is 60fps locked. It could look like a Dreamcast game and I wouldn't really mind... I guess since DK's plastic fur in MK Wii I've sort of had low expectations. :p

But in 3D at 60fps, I can't imagine it'll be an eye sore.
Plastic fur? It's been a long time since I've played Mario Kart wii.

Triton55

Utako said:
I'll check out the latest videos, but Shy Guy in this shot is CAR VAULT levels of primitive.

Mg5Jm.jpg
It's a retro level and the undersides of the karts aren't meant to be seen 98% of the time. Bad combination for a screenshot.

Jackano

Akai said:
So can anyone figure out which of the SNES Mario Circuits is shown in that one shot? The placement of the pipe is really weird, and I can't associate it with any of them except maybe Mario Circuit 1 done in Mirror Mode...

Maybe the tanooki-tailed kart is in fact in reverse when the screenshot has been take (doesn't the entiere kart turn on itself when using the tanooki item?).

Mael

ShockingAlberto said:

Seriously did no one remember the whole MKWii announcement with people deriding the low poly nature of the game?
Turned out the game was more than mighty fine...and people complaining that THIS mk is pushing nothing new? I mean for real?

Top Bottom