• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Kart 7 screens, trailer, and Iwata asks

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Synless said:
I loved Mario Kart DS until all the damn cheaters ruined the online.
That's why getting Rainbow Road was awesome. As a non-snaker, it was the only track I'd consistently win on.

artwalknoon said:
Are those new MK 7 screens? Look eh.

Edit: Damn it, joke doesn't work on a new page.
ANa7g.jpg

Emitan

I always won and only snaked if other people were. I wonder how damaged my MK skills are because I skipped MKWii.

Gravijah

Billychu said:
I always won and only snaked if other people were. I wonder how damaged my MK skills are because I skipped MKWii.

i hope this plays more like wii than ds because i absolutely SUCK at ds now.

Synless

Billychu said:
MKWii was so dumbed down, I still think double dash was a better game. I think you will be alright.

Emitan

Gravijah said:
i hope this plays more like wii than ds because i absolutely SUCK at ds now.
Remember when you were like I hope MK7 plays like MK7? You hypocrite!

Synless said:
MKWii was so dumbed down, I still think double dash was a better game. I think you will be alright.
Excellent...

Mael

Having a MK work like SMK is bad now?
Less of that crappy snaking and more drifting is way better.
(and MKWii should have had 5 race per cup that way we would have gotten a nice retro with a race from each MK)...
Still wonder why the hell they keep sprinkling race from former mk and not just give us all in one go...would greatly improve the game....
Oh and a non shitty battle mode too

@MUWANdo

Banned
MK Wii has 2D crowds too, doesn't it? I'm sure there are 2D Miis on one particular track (the Toad Factory maybe?)

Also, is it just me or are 3DS games promoted with an inordinate amount of terrible unflattering screenshots? I'm not saying this as a graphics apologist or whatever, I don't really care, but I've seen screens for a lot of 3DS games that make them look much uglier than they actually are, far in excess of those you might see for games on other platforms.

Emitan

Gravijah said:
it's a mario kart, it holds up no matter what.
I'm sure it holds out. The issue is that if I wait 2 months I can get a new game that everyone will be playing online instead of an old one.

Synless

Gravijah said:
it's a mario kart, it holds up no matter what.

they all play differently, have their own gimmicks, tracks, etc so everyone has their own favorites.
I just wish the music was better in any of the games, they all have the lowest budget sounding midi music. I think SSBB, Mario Galaxy, and soon to be Zelda have spoiled me.

Gravijah

Billychu said:
I'm sure it holds out. The issue is that if I wait 2 months I can get a new game that everyone will be playing online instead of an old one.

buy wii later. at somepoint.

Synless said:
I just wish the music was better in any of the games, they all have the lowest budget sounding midi music. I think SSBB, Mario Galaxy, and soon to be Zelda have spoiled me.

mario kart wii has some of the best music of the recent games (ds, wii, dd, super circuit)

Coconut Mall
Delfino Pier
Bowser's Castle
Koopa Cape

Billychu said:
Get MKW, play it for 2 months, then get MK7.

Mael

Synless said:
Oh come on SMK is just way better than you give it credit for

Kerrby said:
Mg5Jm.jpg

That is one flat and ugly kart.

I guess I just don't really care for Mario Kart anymore, I've had every Mario Kart thats come out but I think I'm just Mario Karted out.

That's the same kart as Mario's default one from MKDS. It's probably the same model reused (look how the other kart looks much better by comparison) so that's probably done on purpose, seeing as how it is a "retro" kart.

Tiktaalik said:
Objectively, putting aside the positive emotions associated with the fact that we're getting a new Mario Kart, this is a very poor looking effort. This genuinely looks like a rushed 0.5 update to Mario Kart DS. So much of what we're seeing reeks of cash in. The sprite based crowd I mentioned before is an absolute embarrassment. Surely they can't be proud of this..

BTW no GCN, PS2, XBOX or Wii game has pologonal crowds AFAIK. Don't know why you would expect that (and it's a pointless addition anyway. With how fast that you move, you'd never see them anyway)

Either way, it's a fantastic looking iteration of Mario Kart and it's not lazy in the slightest. The Hang glider and underwater mechanics alone are massive innovations that completely change how tracks are layed out and played.

Oh, speaking of which. Mario Strikers Charged has the best looking crowd of any game ever made (and yes, it's sprite based!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rj34RSTqBE&feature=BFa&list=PL74E52EEBCA51F9B9&lf=results_video

Mario Kart Wii is really good, but it gets crazy on 150 cc with 12 karts and that AI. I think it's the best controlling MK and it's still the best looking MK. Bikes are cool too. I play with a Wavebird and ignore tricks for the most part though. :p

Emitan

Gravijah said:
3ds, man. where the hell you been?
dude its not like this game gets a new thread a week or anything
or that the 3ds had its own press conference
or that this game was shown at e3
or that every system gets its own mario kart

Synless said:

Double dash had one great battle mode map, oh and the mushroom balloon steal ability was great...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I played Mario Kart 7 and I thought it looked clean and smooth while also being a lot of fun to play. I will enjoy playing it later this year.

That's my 2c.

Gravijah

EatChildren said:
I played Mario Kart 7 and I thought it looked clean and smooth while also being a lot of fun to play. I will enjoy playing it later this year.

That's my 2c.

how did it play compared to mkds/mkwii?

Jackano

Nuclear Muffin said:
The Hang glider and underwater mechanics alone are massive innovations that completely change how tracks are layed out and played.

An another inovation is the 1 "lap" tracks. I will love if there is numerous very long tracks where you only do 1 lap. It's not a major innovation but it will be cool.

I don't even like racing games, but goddamn there's something about Nintendo that makes me enjoy genres I wouldn't normally even give a glance towards.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gravijah said:
how did it play compared to mkds/mkwii?

It has the boost system of Wii, so no snaking. The underwater/gliding stuff is really cool, and integrated seamlessly into the tracks. The build I played was lacking on the items, so I cant comment on balance of super items (which was MKWii's biggest flaw, in my opinion). The return of coins is neat.

In other words I dunno lol.

DON'T FUCK UP BATTLE MODE.

Please????

Otherwise, the speed and control of the game look perfect.

Throw in a remake of Block Fort or the spirally Battle Arena from Mario Kart 64 and the game is automatically a 10/10.

Top Bottom