• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Kart 7 screens, trailer, and Iwata asks

I was fairly impressed with the graphics when I got to play it at NYCC. The player kart specifically had really nice lighting on it. Also are also some pretty cool particle effects making good use of the 3D. Probably the best looking 3DS game from what I've played.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Heavy said:
60 fps or not, this game's graphics are incredibly underwhelming.
Mario Kart has never really been graphically impressive for me.
Artistically, sure. But not graphically!

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
This looks awesome as hell! What do you guys expect from Mario Kart? I haven't played one since the N64 version so I'm incredibly excited for this.

Gravijah

funkmasterb said:
From my perspective the wii and 3ds mario karts are frozen in time around 7 years ago.

if you're talking from a technological standpoint, it's because both the 3ds and wii are similar to a gamecube.

...and with mario kart wii being my favorite in the series, being "stuck in time" is in no way a bad thing.

funkmasterb said:
This looks terrible. It still looks like the GCN version graphics wise. Why haven't they made any headway there? Why haven't hey even tried to shake up the art style of 'low budget 3d and blurry textures.' try a wind waker thing?

God I love Nintendo but this same old lackluster shit is getting old.

I see they've shoehorned their shitty mii's into this as well. Perfect.
So MK has become the lackluster shit? what a bunch of jokers comment on these stuff...

And no, MK7 looks better than the Wii version, and unless GC version looked better than the Wii, it looks better than the GCN version too. Just because it has less geometry going on, it doesn't mean it is looking the same graphicall.

From my perspective the wii and 3ds mario karts are frozen in time around 7 years ago.
You definitely don't know what you are talking about, and I really doubt you having any point to prove support your statement.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
walking fiend said:
And no, MK7 looks better than the Wii version, and unless GC version looked better than the Wii, it looks better than the GCN version too. Just because it has less geometry going on, it doesn't mean it is looking the same graphicall.

Yet less geometry and lower texture detail do contribute to the overall image quality. If it looks better to you, that's nice, but it won't for everybody else.

walking fiend said:
So MK has become the lackluster shit? what a bunch of jokers comment on these stuff...

You definitely don't know what you are talking about.

Nothing revolutionary has happened with the franchise for a huge length of time and I am tired of buying the same game repeatedly. I'm glad people who aren't at saturation are getting their fix though.

funkmasterb said:
Nothing revolutionary has happened with the franchise for a huge length of time and I am tired of buying the same game repeatedly. I'm glad people who aren't at saturation are getting their fix though.
Which was the last one you bought?

EatChildren said:
Yet less geometry and lower texture detail do contribute to the overall image quality. If it looks better to you, that's nice, but it won't for everybody else.
Image quality is very good in MK7, but anyway, image quality is not equal to graphics, it is only part of it.

Nothing revolutionary happening to a series doesn't mean it is the same at all, it means what it means.

Gravijah

funkmasterb said:
SNES
GCN
Wii
Ds

Done now until the stop phoning it in.

but they aren't phoning it in? i mean, wii and ds are two of the very best in the franchise.

what exactly is it you want from them?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
walking fiend said:
Image quality is very good in MK7, but anyway, image quality is not equal to graphics, it is only part of it.

Yes, and these are widely subjective terms that cannot be applied objectivity. You might feel Mario Kart 7 is a better looking game than any other entry, but someone else might not, and there's a fair case for both perspectives.

but they aren't phoning it in? i mean, wii and ds are two of the very best in the franchise.

what exactly is it you want from them?
They are very different games as well.

I for one don't like the DS version at all, while I love the Wii version.

It is OK for him to say that the series needs to undergo a revolution to satisfy him, that it is boring for him, but it doesn't give him the right to say that it hasn't changed objectively and is the same thing.

Or he may say that graphically it hasn't improved as much as he wants, but it not the same as GCN version at all.

I don't get people trying to equal objective qualities of games to their subjective desires and expectations.

Yes, and these are widely subjective terms that cannot be applied objectivity. You might feel Mario Kart 7 is a better looking game than any other entry, but someone else might not, and there's a fair case for both perspectives.
graphics though, have much clearer definitions. There's no way for the effects in the MK7 to had been in the GCN version, it isn't subjective. And so is not the geometry or texture resolution. Or view distance

Boerseun

Banned
I can't believe people actually take the time to troll Mario Kart. The games are incredibly polished, guarantee hundreds of hours of fun, and are never simple updates or remakes. Mario Kart on 3DS will be a must own title like every series entry that went before it. And knowing the history of the series, we should really not be expecting anything less.

Truth101

Banned
funkmasterb said:
What? I'm allowed to complain about a feature sticking around no?

Complaining about a feature that does not affect game-play or quality is one of the most annoying and useless things to do.

FyreWulff

Mario Kart is a battle racer centered around not really placement at the end, but surviving long enough to make it to the finish line.

Turning it into a sim racer, Twisted Metal clone or F-zero/wipeout style game wouldn't be Mario Kart anymore. The game is all about getting rained on while being in first by everyone else throwing crap at you. I guess you could say it's inspired by roller derby.

It'd be like trying to turn Smash into a Street Fighter-style technical game when Smash is a streamlined arcade fighter centered around the sumo wrestling concept.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that if Kart was truly homogenous, you wouldn't see so much split over which one people think is the best one. I remember when people were ready to completely write off Double Dash just over it being too "gimmicky" with the dual driver setup.

Mik2121

Anasui Kishibe said:
more offscreen footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yV1rvmUtsU&feature=player_embedded

I swear, those guys cannot play shit
Damn, I actually like how it looks. Not the best graphics out there, sure, but the tracks are very easy to read, everything looks nice and overall aesthetically it's very pleasing.

However, the only one thing that really worries me is how bullshit-based will this game be. The Wii version was really high in the BS scale whereas the GC one felt much more skill-based and fair. I remember playing online on the Wii and feeling like throwing the controller through the window because of the massive amount of bullshit that would happen if you were even slightly skillful (blue shells flying everywhere, etc..).

m.i.s.

Banned
FyreWulff said:
Mario Kart is a battle racer centered around not really placement at the end, but surviving long enough to make it to the finish line.

What?

FyreWulff said:
In fact, I'd go as far to say that if Kart was truly homogenous, you wouldn't see so much split over which one people think is the best one.

In previous Mario Karts, it was the weight of the character that determined variables like acceleration, traction or grip on the road and top speed. The karts were the same but, for example, Donkey Kong Jr, had slow acceleration because of his weight but excellent grip and top speed. Whilst lighter characters like Koopa and Toad had excellent acceleration but lower top speed and poor traction. Variable karts is something Nintendo introduced with Double Dash and doesn't really add much to the game imo. Traditionally, the diversity in the game came from the different weight of the characters rather than the vehicle.

Boerseun

Banned
FyreWulff said:
In fact, I'd go as far to say that if Kart was truly homogenous, you wouldn't see so much split over which one people think is the best one. I remember when people were ready to completely write off Double Dash just over it being too "gimmicky" with the dual driver setup.

Case in point:

Kerrby said:
To be fair though, Mario Kart Wii sucked.

SNES Mario Kart and N64 Mario Kart were my favourites.

WillyFive

Why would you do that? said:
Yeah, check out the end of that second race.
"I'm gonna win, I'm in first, I'm in....! *drives straight into a wall instead of turning into the finish line* Ooooooh, I finished in 2nd. :(" Made me kinda mad. lol

No new music for the start, lap, and end of the race? Seems cheap. :/

They always have new package music for each Mario Kart game, but this has the same music and sound effects from Mario Kart Wii.

Berordn

Yeah, I was hoping they'd change that in the latest builds but they're building its identity from MKWii apparently. Bleh. They could've picked inspiration from a game with more soul, but the game itself will be fine anyway.

glad they're getting inspiration from MKWII. Never had so much fun in a MK game, racing against 11 strangers online and the Wheel was a drug

tracks were so good as well

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Hoping this game has Staff Ghosts. I put a good amount of time into beating those time trials on MKDS.

GhaleonQ

The Awesomest said:
I wonder if they're seriously going to reuse all the MKWii music.

Nintendo usually skirts being that lame, but they've done similar things with their handheld work.

hatchx

Banned
Not quite understanding why people think this is a lackluster rehash or what-not.

Is Child of Eden and LA Noire the only games you played this year? Our game industry is riddled with sequels and updates and so fourth.

I havn't seen much on the title, but I know three things for sure are upgrades enough to dignify a 40 dollar purchase:

1. 3D, 60fps gameplay.
2. Better online infrastructure.
3. Paragliding and Underwater. Will add more depth than meets the eye (shells in the air bitch!)

hatchx said:
Not quite understanding why people think this is a lackluster rehash or what-not.

Is Child of Eden and LA Noire the only games you played this year? Our game industry is riddled with sequels and updates and so fourth.

I havn't seen much on the title, but I know three things for sure are upgrades enough to dignify a 40 dollar purchase:

1. 3D, 60fps gameplay.
3. Paragliding and Underwater. Will add more depth than meets the eye (shells in the air bitch!)

Plus 16 new tracks and a few new characters, items, coins, kart customization.

sfried

hatchx said:
1. 3D, 60fps gameplay.
4. Return of the flightless blue shell.

watershed

Banned
The shooting shells while flying looks to be the funnest addition in this game. I hope we get at least one level that is dominantly air born with lots of item pick ups.

Brettison said:
Haven't really follows the footage of this one, but IMO graphics look waaaayyy better in that off screen footage rather than in the official trailer Nintendo has on their website.

Doesn't every game look better graphically in off screen footage?

Top Bottom