• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Kart 7 screens, trailer, and Iwata asks

Berordn

Yeah, worked the same but with more coins than there were shines. They might reduce the number since it's not team-based or 12 players anymore.

Sianos

Online battle mode (with no teams)?

No POW Block, Mega Mushroom, or Thunder Cloud confirmed?

No babies?

This us shaping up to be the best Mario Kart. I'm more excited for this than the next mainline game, haha.

The seven item doesn't look that bad, only thing in there that's terribly threatening is the star and red shell. Blooper and green shell never do much, bomb isn't useful that often, banana is mostly good for timed drops/blocks. As long as the seventh item isn't a lightning or something it shouldn't be that

Gravijah

NSQuote said:

No babies?

This us shaping up to be the best Mario Kart. I'm more excited for this than the next mainline game, haha.

The seven item doesn't look that bad, only thing in there that's terribly threatening is the star and red shell. Blooper and green shell never do much, bomb isn't useful that often, banana is mostly good for timed drops/blocks. As long as the seventh item isn't a lightning or something it shouldn't be that

mario kart 3ds IS a mainline game

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
NSQuote said:

No babies?

But...this IS the next mainline game! :D

Sianos

Gravijah said:
mario kart 3ds IS a mainline game
You know what I mean. :p

As huge and amazing a spin-off Mario Kart is, I still consider the big platformers to be the "main" series. Force of habit.

Being a spin-off doesn't mean its a worse game, just that its in a different genre from the original series. At least in my opinion it is.

Berordn

The handheld games have always been superior to the console versions though, ever since Super Circuit came out.

edit: ohhhhhhhhh

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
NSQuote said:
You know what I mean. :p

As huge and amazing a spin-off Mario Kart is, I still consider the big platformers to be the "main" series. Force of habit.

...Aaaaaah, I thought you were talking about Mario Kart series specifically, not Mario series as a whole. Sorry :p

Sianos

Mpl90 said:
...Aaaaaah, I thought you were talking about Mario Kart series specifically, not Mario series as a whole. Sorry :p
No problem, my fault for being ambiguous.

The last item in the seven is probably a mushroom. Can you choose which item to use when, or is it random?

I used to want an item switch to turn off certain items, but I'm content with this list. Nothing extremely annoying like the constant POW block barrage or getting stuck with a lightning cloud. Hope the N64 shell becomes the new standard: I never liked (read: hated) the winged variant.

PSGames

The whole point of Metal Mario was to show off N64's environment mapping. He looks bland in this one without it :-/

Anth0ny

Yeah, I'm really not understanding the point of Metal Mario as a selectable character. One of these

Trophy110.PNG

as an item would make more sense imo.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I wonder how Metal Mario controls. Is he really, really heavy? Like, heavy enough not to be able to do some jumps? That's the issue I'd see with an item for Metal.. how does it really affect the gameplay? Does it protect you against items for a while, does it make you incredibly heavy (giving you both advantages and disadvantages), could you throw the metal block out and have someone else run into it.. weighing them down enough to not be able to make a shortcut jump?

watershed

Banned
Coins are confirmed to be for unlocking new parts but parts can also be unlocked by beating streetpass ghost data.

I'm a bit miffed by the 14 number community code. Its better than individual friend codes but its still a code you need to enter in order to join a community. Why can't we just have an invite, accept, or reject system?

Being able to join 8 communities is great though as is the potential for comparing individual data and community rankings.

IceDoesntHelp said:
I wonder, what are the other two new characters...
Winged Cap Mario, Invisible Mario
got to complete that Mario 64 lineup, hell even Lakitu fits in with those guys since he spent the game filming.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Shiggy said:
I still think that it looks like they are using the MK DS engine. It's just the low polygon objects/design.

The DS engine pulled it off though. Had great sensation of speed. But what I really like about Konno and his team, is that they have been making Mario Karts meat full of content and features.

Gravijah

Shikamaru Ninja said:
The DS engine pulled it off though. Had great sensation of speed. But what I really like about Konno and his team, is that they have been making Mario Karts meat full of content and features.

speaking of... is mission mode gone?

rpmurphy

artwalknoon said:
Coins are confirmed to be for unlocking new parts but parts can also be unlocked by beating streetpass ghost data.

I'm a bit miffed by the 14 number community code. Its better than individual friend codes but its still a code you need to enter in order to join a community. Why can't we just have an invite, accept, or reject system?

Being able to join 8 communities is great though as is the potential for comparing individual data and community rankings.
The 14 digit string is a bit yucky, but I suppose the code thing is made for easy invites on message boards and such, so that you don't have to be 3DS friends with anyone in the community to receive an invite.

Sadly, some of the oft railed against features are back as well, the blue shell in particular. This time, it travels along the ground like in the N64 version, blowing away everything in its path in pursuit of the lead driver. In its final approach, it flies up as in the more recent Kart games, dropping down in an explosion. This incarnation is especially evil. In one of my races, I was hit from behind while in third place. The first two drivers then crossed the finish line while the shell was in its airborne stage. The shell then reversed course in mid-air and came back to hit me again.

f831c.jpg

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Sadly, some of the oft railed against features are back as well, the blue shell in particular. This time, it travels along the ground like in the N64 version, blowing away everything in its path in pursuit of the lead driver. In its final approach, it flies up as in the more recent Kart games, dropping down in an explosion. This incarnation is especially evil. In one of my races, I was hit from behind while in third place. The first two drivers then crossed the finish line while the shell was in its airborne stage. The shell then reversed course in mid-air and came back to hit me again.
Yes! So awesome!

LeonSKennedy90 said:

I'm glad to see the older blue shell returning. Blue shell that only hit the first place person (and maybe second and third if they were close) was lame. It didn't help me all the way in 12th.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
LeonSKennedy90 said:

Hyped increased 1000%.

T4f9r.jpg

Javier

rpmurphy said:
The 14 digit string is a bit yucky, but I suppose the code thing is made for easy invites on message boards and such, so that you don't have to be 3DS friends with anyone in the community to receive an invite.
I like the idea of communities because it goes completely past the FC thing from the regular Friend list. Someone can create the MK7 GAF community, start a thread, post the code, and everyone that wants to join just inputs the code in his 3DS.

I just hope they don't do something stupid like limiting the amount of people that can join a single community.

Sianos

Gravijah said:
speaking of... is mission mode gone?
Yeah, doesn't seem like mission mode is in.

Only dissapointment so far, although I was really expecting it anyways and its a minor one. It's much more important that classic battle mode with online is in!

I'll be sure to join the GAF Community. Will there be a community OT to go along with the gaming one?

Platy

QAsqE.png

Best mario kart ever confirmed

....if they have free for all battle mode

Only team battle mode KILLED battle mode on mkwii

Sinthetic

Getting so hyped up for this. I'm going to have a real tough time alternating between Skyward, 3D Land and this. Damn Christmas rush.

hatchx

Banned
Platy said:
QAsqE.png

Free-for-all battle mode
+
community
+
8 players online
+
60fps

=

What I have wanted since Double Dash.

This game just sort of became my most wanted game. I played the hell out of Mario Kart DS.

Disappointed in lack of mission mode, but the ghost grand prix sounds fun. You almost never have to play against the computer!

I will chime in and say I hope I can race with 3-4 friends and the four of us can still participate in Grand Prix. 4P grand prix, along with online battle mode, is what I've wanted for years.

EDIT: The blue/red balloons doesn't bode well. Hope that doesn't imply there won't be a free for all battle mode.

Platy said:
QAsqE.png

this, the snes battle mode arenas were the best, only the gamecube version came close with the cake arena...do we know you can still steal balloons with the mushrooms?

Michan

This will be the first Mario Kart sequel that features the exact original cast of 8 from the get-go. Excite!

According to interviews, DKC Donkey Kong is DK Jr., grown up a little... so yes, it's the original cast!

Bluemercury said:
this, the snes battle mode arenas were the best, only the gamecube version came close with the cake arena...do we know you can still steal balloons with the mushrooms?

Blockfort alone on the N64 was better than all the other versions' arenas put together.

Double Dash's Battle Mode was a joke, it was dumbed dumbed down.

All I want on the 3DS mode is free-for-all and ONE arena as cool as Blockfort.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
My hype couldn't be any greater for this.

Everything seems in place for best MK yet. So good to see the SNES stuff as well.

Top Bottom