• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Kart 7 screens, trailer, and Iwata asks

SmokyDave

The more I see this, the more excited I get. I've avoided MK saturation by not really playing them since the SNES (bar a brief period on MK64 & MKDS). I'm ready to really sink my teeth into this next one.

CaVaYeRo

NoE sent some more MP/ghosts screens.

BTW, aside from the cool SNES/GBA vibe I'm getting, wtf is happening here?

mariokart7_260513.jpg

What if you play with him! WHAT!

And this is almost like the angry Kirby US thing :p

mariokart7_260524.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
le.phat said:
Really ? This looks pretty much the same like in the GC era. You know, 10 years ago.

I didn't know portables could do Gamecube level rendering 10 years ago. Where have I been?!

Berordn

Looks like all the courses are online, so the logical conclusion is yes, but Nintendo. Classic Balloon battle is back anyway, everyone has different balloons in the screens.

Also we finally see what the "7" emblem is, on the items page. It's a roulette, that you get from a roulette.

web01

enishi said:
Japanese official site Grand Prix: Total 32 courses in 8 Cups (16 new)
Support max 8P download play

Expected this number of tracks but I am also a little disappointed. Mario kart games need to last an entire generation more tracks would have been better.

I really wish one day they would go all out and Make a Mario Kart game with all the greatest tracks that have ever appeared in the series. Nintendo have always seemed happy to simply maintain the status quo because they know it will sell regardless.

enishi

UncleSporky said:
Can you tell us what this says just to confirm?

QqXOx.png

I presume they rotate around you and you time the button press to choose one of the items to use?

Almost, it just doesn't say if you can choose which item to use (and you press button once to use 1 item)

Mik2121

UncleSporky said:
Can you tell us what this says just to confirm?

QqXOx.png

I presume they rotate around you and you time the button press to choose one of the items to use?
Lucky 7

Seven items rotate around your kart and you get to use one item at a time (until you use all 7).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Given Mario Kart's balance has been complete shit as of late, the 7 probably gives you all the goddamn items and fires them all at once in all directions, and then automatically makes you winner.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I hope the site's character page isn't the full roster, since there's only two unrevealed characters left. :(

Where's Waluigi? :0

likeGdid

EatChildren said:
Given Mario Kart's balance has been complete shit as of late, the 7 probably gives you all the goddamn items and fires them all at once in all directions, and then automatically makes you winner.
It also gives you a free lap in the next course

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
likeGdid said:
It also gives you a free lap in the next course

I saw this before the edit, and I liked your original idea more.

Berordn

Mik2121 said:
Lucky 7

Seven items rotate around your kart and you get to use one item at a time (until you use all 7).
Wow, and here I thought they were learning by removing the Pow Block and Winged Shell. Two steps forward...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I know Nintendo is just trying to think of fun, and not balance.. but giving a player seven items doesn't even seem like fun to me.

Would have been better if the 7 just gave the player 7 coins.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Berordn said:
Wow, and here I thought they were learning by removing the Pow Block and Winged Shell. Two steps forward...
Well there is a downside since you can't just use the items willy nilly. Tactically placing that banana skin is going to be very hard when you don't have complete control of when you can place it.

The real Mario Kart twist should have been that the 7 is an item only obtainable when in the top 3 and it instantly drops you to 7th place.

CaVaYeRo

Well, that lucky 7 item should be like the rocket bill (with no tail), so it should only appear like once in a championship when you're 7-8, right?

Gravijah

Chet Rippo said:
What was wrong with the POW block?

seriously, you can avoid being spun out 99% of the time which means you just lost your item. the only times it really fucked you were when you were like right near a turn.

Berordn

Too common, impossible to avoid if you were just hit by something as you don't have the momentum to jump or do a trick when you start accelerating, and you lose any items you were holding or about to get. In the really battle-centric tracks it could completely ruin you, especially if you were just hit by a flurry of attacks.

But my real issue was just that it showed up way too much.

Gravijah

Berordn said:
Too common, impossible to avoid if you were just hit by something as you don't have the momentum to jump or do a trick when you start accelerating, and you lose any items you were holding or about to get. In the really battle-centric tracks it could completely ruin you, especially if you were just hit by a flurry of attacks.

But my real issue was just that it showed up way too much.

i prefer it popping up since it was so easy to avoid. better than a red shell when i have no defense.

Berordn

Well yeah, compared to everything else the game had to throw at you it was almost balanced. If they had limited it and the blue shells to even lower ranks I wouldn't have had any issue with it.

People complaining about old courses have to remember they're being retooled to support gliding and underwater racing...so just consider all the courses where normally you'd die if you feel in water and consider that in some of those sections there will actually be new course areas

Gravijah

Zoramon089 said:
People complaining about old courses have to remember they're being retooled to support gliding and underwater racing...so just consider all the courses where normally you'd die if you feel in water and consider that in some of those sections there will actually be new course areas

are they really? i like playing the old courses as is. the retro courses in mkw were a very nice change of pace compared to all of the stunts and stuff in the normal courses.

Berordn

On the site you can see a few of the changes in Shell Cup; one of the bouncing paths in Mushroom Gorge sends you gliding now for example.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Funk yes! Best news all day is the fact that we are getting class online balloon battle without any random bs thrown in like teams or something stupid like coins. N64 was the king of battle mode, and I just want that online with a decent amount of courses.

I salute you Nintendo!

Top Bottom