• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Kart 7 screens, trailer, and Iwata asks

Looks good. I'm liking the new power-ups and additions so far. Much better than the Wii's powerups so far.

Oni Link 666 said:
Either that or Toad crashed and he's flying towards the screen.
Well there are string attached to the toad so I'm going to go with Balloon on top of it being a different color from standard toad.

L00P

Shy Guy!

It pissed me off to no end when Shy guy was only playable to guest players in MKDS. Seriously, that was bullshit.

Kerrby

Banned
Mg5Jm.jpg

That is one flat and ugly kart.

I guess I just don't really care for Mario Kart anymore, I've had every Mario Kart thats come out but I think I'm just Mario Karted out.

Truth101

Banned
Kerrby said:
Mg5Jm.jpg

I guess I just don't really care for Mario Kart anymore, I've had every Mario Kart thats come out but I think I'm just Mario Karted out.

The actual game isn't going to be zoomed in for action shots...

.la1n

Okay we get it Nintendo your pulling on the Super Mario Bros. 3 heart strings...really though you have done plenty - it's starting to look like a one trick pony. That is no way to treat the legacy of one of your best platformers and I have to admit it's kind of making you look silly.

just sayin'

.la1n said:
Okay we get it Nintendo your pulling on the Super Mario Bros. 3 heart strings...really though you have done plenty - it's starting to look like a one trick pony. That is no way to treat the legacy of one of your best platformers and I have to admit it's kind of making you look silly.

just sayin'
No this is better.

I find the leaf to be needed in almost every game.

Gears would never be the same.

.la1n said:
Can you imagine? Dom with a tanooki tail - the possibilities are endless ;)
Hah!

Joyous occasion indeed.

I probably won't buy this. Because I have no 3DS. My bro will probably buy it. So I will probably play it.

WillyFive

Jack Scofield said:
Does Nintendo even try anymore? This is embarrassing.

Well, it has Mario on it, and he's riding a kart. And it seems he's racing in colorful worlds. It's obviously a rehash.

Emitan

Kerrby said:
Mg5Jm.jpg

And look how shitty the track looks. Looks like a SNES game.

trinest

friskykillface said:
I assume he saw the snes retro course pic and thinks thats how each course looks like? I don't know.
It is the same boring retro snes course they always port- an't there you know other levels?

Berordn

trinest said:
It is the same boring retro snes course they always port- an't there you know other levels?

The SNES Mario Circuits have been "ported" at most twice, in Mario Kart Super Circuit (which included all the SNES tracks as unlockables), Mario Circuit 1 was remade for Mario Kart DS and Mario Circuit 3 was remade for Mario Kart Wii. We don't even know which one this is and they haven't repeated any retro tracks yet.

trinest said:
MKDS had Mario Circuit 1, MKWii had Mario Circuit 3.

Try harder next time.

Danthrax said:
So subtle, no one else noticed your post!
Oh I noticed it.

It just doesn't make any sense.

Kerrby said:

My sentiments exactly. I played quite a bit of Mario Kart Wii on the office console at my last job, but have never felt compelled to pick it up. It's the same game each time with new tracks, and the ongoing weapon balance issues and lack of proper driving mechanics (drifting being faster than maintaining traction) makes it a real turn off whether you're playing single or multi.

The series is dead to me.

trinest said:
SNES has:
2 Choco Islands (In MK DS)
4 Mario Circuits (In MK DS and MK Wii)
3 Donut Plains (In MK DS)
2 Koopa Beaches (In MK DS)
3 Ghost Valleys (In MK Wii)
2 Vanilla Lakes
3 Bowser's Castles
1 Rainbow Road

Since most people probably associate Super Mario Kart with the Mario Circuit look (it is the first track type in the game), it is not crazy to imagine Nintendo will include a Mario Circuit track in every Mario Kart game.

Besides the one Mario Circuit track, I can easily imagine Nintendo will put in a Vanilla Lake or Bowser's Castle in MK7. I personally hope for Bowser's Castle, because of its awesome music.

Mostly I want to see how many tracks they include. I like the recent trend of making half the tracks old ones and half of them brand new.

Super Mario Kart - 20
Mario Kart 64 - 16
Super Circuit - 40 (20 new, 20 old)
Double Dash - 16
Mario Kart DS - 32 (16 new, 16 old)
Mario Kart Wii - 32 (16 new, 16 old)

Akai

Gravijah said:
anyone have any idea what snes mario circuit that is?

I asked this earlier, but no one seems to know/care. It LOOKS like Mario Circuit 1 in Mirror Mode based on the pipe placement...

maeda

God, I have fallen so behind in this series. I haven't played Kart since GC days. Had no idea they ruined battle mode in DS and Wii versions. It sucks :(. I hope they bring back normal battle mode, with decent online. Would like to say that I have never been that excited for a Mario Kart game. Hope they deliver! And bring Tanooki tail into the next Smash Bros!

RandomVince said:
DK Mountain from Double Dash is my favourite. Love the descent down the volcano
I love that track, too, but I really like that dinosaur track a little more. I also like that Double Dash had some non-3 lap tracks. I really like the 2 lap track and Baby Park, which had 7 laps (5 in the DS version).

I'm looking forward to Wuhu Island in MK7, which will only be one long lap with many obstacles. It'd be nice to have a Baby Park-esque track, too.

Berordn

DonMigs85 said:
Looks like an AA-less Mario Kart Wii with some bump mapping and shader effects added.
These could be 3D shots, and there might be AA in 2D mode. The models still look somewhat better than the Wii ones at least.

Akai said:
I asked this earlier, but no one seems to know/care. It LOOKS like Mario Circuit 1 in Mirror Mode based on the pipe placement...
MarioWiki says it's Mario Circuit 2, but I don't know what they're basing that on.

Gravijah

Akai said:

gonna pretend you're wrong and hope that it's mario circuit 2

Akai

Gravijah said:
gonna pretend you're wrong and hope that it's mario circuit 2

Probably a better idea to pretend I'm right and be pleasantly surprised if it does turn out to be Mario Circuit 2... =3

watershed

Banned
I like the slow dribble of new information way of handling PR Nintendo is doing these days, its a good way to build hype and interest. Tanooki Tail looks like a good addition along with fire balls and whatever other new items there are. I hope we hear about online stuff soon, hopefully in a week or two.

Doorman

Why would you do that? said:
I'm looking forward to Wuhu Island in MK7, which will only be one long lap with many obstacles. It'd be nice to have a Baby Park-esque track, too.
Oh, so this game has something like a road rally level? That's actually pretty neat, I kind of hope that Wuhu Island isn't the only course that handles things that way.

Personally, I'm still not sure if I should actually feel hyped for this or not. I'm kind of torn between not being impressed by the constant revisiting of old courses, but then again the online racing in Mario Kart Wii got a lot of playtime out of me. It may come down in some part to how strong of an online package this one presents. That, and hopefully there's no snaking.

Tiktaalik

Jack Scofield said:
Does Nintendo even try anymore? This is embarrassing.

Objectively, putting aside the positive emotions associated with the fact that we're getting a new Mario Kart, this is a very poor looking effort. This genuinely looks like a rushed 0.5 update to Mario Kart DS. So much of what we're seeing reeks of cash in. The sprite based crowd I mentioned before is an absolute embarrassment. Surely they can't be proud of this.

It's not like Mario Kart is a little spinoff game. Mario Kart DS was an utterly massive sellers on the system. You'd think they'd invest a little more effort into this title. It's also not as if they didn't have a lot of time. The last Mario Kart game was years ago.

Perhaps they're spending most of their development capital on online features that haven't been shown. We'll see.

One can see the substantial effort that Nintendo puts into their updates of the Zelda and Mario series. As a fan of the Mario Kart series I would love to see them dedicate the same amount of thought, money and time when they update this franchise.

Emitan

Tiktaalik said:
Objectively, putting aside the positive emotions associated with the fact that we're getting a new Mario Kart, this is a very poor looking effort. This genuinely looks like a rushed 0.5 update to Mario Kart DS. So much of what we're seeing reeks of cash in. The sprite based crowd I mentioned before is an absolute embarrassment. Surely they can't be proud of this.

It's not like Mario Kart is a little spinoff game. Mario Kart DS was an utterly massive sellers on the system. You'd think they'd invest a little more effort into this title. It's also not as if they didn't have a lot of time. The last Mario Kart game was years ago.

Perhaps they're spending most of their development capital on online features that haven't been shown. We'll see.

One can see the substantial effort that Nintendo puts into their updates of the Zelda and Mario series. As a fan of the Mario Kart series I would love to see them dedicate the same amount of thought, money and time when they update this franchise.
Oh no an update to the best arcade racer of all time. How awful. It's been so long since it came out I really don't care if this game is just an update. MKDS is my favorite racing game of all time and more of it can only be a good thing.

People said the same crap about MKWii (hey, that game also had 'sprite based crowds') and that turned out better than expected.

"0.5 update to Mario Kart DS"?

That's the only embarrassment going on here.

watershed

Banned
Tiktaalik said:

So besides the sprites what about this game looks like a "very poor looking effort"?
Here's what I see:

New characters, at least 3 so far that I can remember probably will be more.
New items including fire balls and tanooki tail, apparently some "7" item that I missed.
New levels including Wuhu Island that is not a traditional lap level, a DKCR level.
New ways to race by air and water which also means new shortcuts/alternative routes.
Online multiplayer that looks to add new networking features to the 3ds itself.
Arguably the best Mario Kart graphics/models in any game yet according to some people.
Also first person view racing with gyro controls.

Mario Kart always looks like Mario Kart and it always plays like Mario Kart but I don't see anything lazy about this iteration.

Tiktaalik

Billychu said:
Oh no an update to the best arcade racer of all time. How awful. It's been so long since it came out I really don't care if this game is just an update. MKDS is my favorite racing game of all time and more of it can only be a good thing.

Go ahead reward mediocrity.

Personally I'd like to see what the Mario Kart team could really do if Nintendo demanded the substantial quality and innovation that we see from the Mario and Zelda titles.

Emitan

Amazing how no one remembers how Mario Kart DS looked. You guys must have had magical DSs because Mario Kart DS is no looker while MK7 looks like a Wii game.

Top Bottom