• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Marvel Universe group shot/logo

SpaceWolf

Banned
It's not concrete at all... US comic book fans are simply not an indication of anything beyond what is the nichest of niche markets. If you're talking about mainstream popularity you're better off going by hearsay or random gut feelings.

But we are talking about fairly niche comic book characters and their reception among comic book fans who don't have much of an audience within the mainstream, average joe crowd?

Anya da bess. So happy to see her on there, even if it's only because of the Spidey cartoon.

Still needs:

Monica Rambeau
Dick Rider
Phyla-Vell
Songbird
Kate Bishop
America Chavez
Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur

Faiza Hussein
Moon Knight
Robbie Reyes
Hazmat
X-23
Dust
Runaways
How are these books?

If you'd like to present any differing sales figures contrasting a Captain Marvel series and Black Window series that were equatable in terms of their runs to back up your own argument, I'd genuinely be interested in checking them out. Otherwise, I still feel fairly confident in my assertion Captain Marvel is the more popular character.

Although I don't doubt for a second that Black Widow could kick my ass in a barfight, I don't think I really consider plot armour a valid superpower.

But what plot armor exists for Captain America? Sure, he's a super soldier, but it's pretty evident I think that a lot of the superheroes could tear through him like tissue paper. Captain America's skill seems to be just "really, really good."

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Carol sucking or not selling won't matter once her movie hits. Once Marvel sees what plays well in the theater they'll sap all those traits over to her books. See Star Lord.

...that may be a good thing for carol, but not star lord

But what plot armor exists for Captain America? Sure, he's a super soldier, but it's pretty evident I think that a lot of the superheroes could tear through him like tissue paper. Captain America's skill seems to be just "really, really good."

hes a tactical genius. like what scott was before the whole avsx thing went down

AMUSIX

Wait, someone is doing the "superheroes need to have superpowers" bullshit thing again? How many times does this have to be corrected?

OK...simple test, if you believe the above, you also understand that the following characters are NOT superheroes:

-Batman (every one)
---the entire Bat family (all Robins, Batgirls, Batwoman, etc)
-Hawkeye
-Bronze Tiger
-Nick Fury
-Black Widow
-The Question
-Wildcat
-Ozymandias
-Green Arrow
-Catwoman
-Katana
-Huntress
-The Punisher
-Star-Lord
-Mockingbird

Of course, if you believe that none of these characters as Superheroes, then it's easy to simply disregard your position on the matter.

No FF is like DC without Superman, makes zero sense. They were ground zero for the Marvel Universe. Granted they aren't as popular mainstream as Superman is.

Also Marvel WAS mostly X-men for a few decades.

Superman and Batman went through some extremely rough patches, but at least DC stuck with them. They did seriously consider canceling Detective Comics in the 80s because the sales were so low, but then the Burton movie hit. I'm glad they didn't because it would have been viewed as a monumentally bad mistake just like cancelling FF will be in 25 years.

Parallax

Wait, someone is doing the "superheroes need to have superpowers" bullshit thing again? How many times does this have to be corrected?

OK...simple test, if you believe the above, you also understand that the following characters are NOT superheroes:

-Batman (every one)
-Hawkeye
-Bronze Tiger
-Nick Fury
-Black Widow
-The Question
-Wildcat
-Ozymandias
-Green Arrow
-Catwoman
-Katana
-Huntress
-The Punisher
-Star-Lord
-Mockingbird

Of course, if you believe that none of these characters as Superheroes, then it's easy to simply disregard your position on the matter.

the punisher isnt a superhero

error4041

I've never been to attached to the X-Men, So I'm fine with them not being the face of the company for a while, give it 5 or 10 years and these posters will have Wolvering, Cyclops, Mr. Fantastic and all those other characters that aren't being pushed right now.

It's not like there are 10 X-Men books going one right now, far more than there are GotG, Avengers, and Inhumans

90s = X-Men
00s = Mix of both
10s = Everyone in the MCU sans Mutants

Huh.

80s had the best mix

golden+-+marvel+universe+-+1982.jpg

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Anya da bess. So happy to see her on there, even if it's only because of the Spidey cartoon.

Still needs:

Monica Rambeau
Dick Rider
Phyla-Vell
Songbird
Kate Bishop
America Chavez
Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur
Faiza Hussein
Moon Knight
Robbie Reyes
Hazmat
X-23
Dust
Runaways

Props to the Hazmat love.

error4041

Superman and Batman went through some extremely rough patches, but at least DC stuck with them. They did seriously consider canceling Detective Comics in the 80s because the sales were so low, but then the Burton movie hit. I'm glad they didn't because it would have been viewed as a monumentally bad mistake just like cancelling FF will be in 25 years.
I think this is a bit of a false equivalence, the Batman movie was a cultural phenomenon that defined Batman for decades, The FF have had 3/4 mediocre to terrible films over the last 20 years that made people see them has incredibly corny or way to tryhard, it poisons the brand and makes people not care. Putting the franchise on hold for a few years until people forget the terrible Josh Trank film makes some business sense.

Though it seems some Marvel higher-ups do have an extreme pettyiness towards the Fantastic Four which is completely baffling.

Parallax

But being a tactical genius isn't a superpower, anyone can be a tactical genius in theory.

but hes one in practice. theres a reason cap was a cosmic hero before time runs out

I think this is a bit of a false equivalence, the Batman movie was a cultural phenomenon that defined Batman for decades, The FF have had 3/4 mediocre to terrible films over the last 20 years that made people see them has incredibly corny or way to tryhard, it poisons the brand and makes people not care. Putting the franchise on hold for a few years until people forget the terrible Josh Trank film makes some business sense.

Though it seems some Marvel higher-ups do have an extreme pettyiness towards the Fantastic Four which is completely baffling.

its something about the team. despite being one of the major marvel assets, theyve never been in a capcom vs game, when they were letting in characters like marrow.

People thought Batman was corny for years after the Adam West movie. There was a time when everyone except the most hardcore comic readers only associated him with "some days you just can't get rid of a bomb". If you look at the sales of Batman comics it was a straight line down from the late 60s until the Burton movie.

Forgetting F4ntastic is pretty difficult when no one saw it to begin with.

You liked the biggest hero villain since hydra cap when you were younger? Or was it force works that did it for you?

Ha, I never saw Tony as a hero villain back then he was a pure Marvel hero with the alcoholism and the suit keeping him alive.

It was everything, the badass suits like every year, being a OG Avenger, the red & gold, his personality and personal problems, Rhodes becoming Iron Man and later War Machine, the cartoon with the badass theme song. Playable video game appearances from "Captain America & the Avengers" to "Marvel Super Heroes"

4037434-4036103-im300.jpg

I loved that comic. That was my all time favorite Iron Man suit.

Iron Man/Tony Stark deserves all the face time he's enjoying for Marvel.

Ha, I never saw Tony as a hero villain back then he was a pure Marvel hero with the alcoholism and the suit keeping him alive.

It was everything, the badass suits like every year, being a OG Avenger, the red & gold, his personality and personal problems, Rhodes becoming Iron Man and later War Machine, the cartoon with the badass theme song. Playable video game appearances from "Captain America & the Avengers" to "Marvel Super Heroes"

That's my favorite era of Iron Man.

Unfortunately followed by the worst era of Iron Man.

I see Marvel still desperately want Inhumans to become a thing. If they actually wanted to make them mainstream they shouldn't have hired Scott Buck to do their show....

I like that Ms.Marvel(Kamala) and Miles Morales are in here but the lack of X-Men makes me sad :(

Parallax

you missed armor wars and the crossing. which happened right before and after that event.

Parallax

But we're also talking in the movies, where Cap isn't that much more super than BW. What makes him a superhero is status, not his powers. Ain't the powers that make the hero

what has widow done in the movies that makes her at the same level as cap?

and he has powers in the movie. unless you think keeping a helicopter from getting away is something any peak athlete can do

what has widow done in the movies that makes her at the same level as cap?

and he has powers in the movie. unless you think keeping a helicopter from getting away is something any peak athlete can do
Not to mention falling hundreds of feet like it's nothing, punching and kicking guys across rooms, swinging men in full body armor around like ragdolls, and being so good at hand to hand against a man in future tech power armor that Iron Man's AI said "you can't beat him hand-to-hand"

SpaceWolf

Banned

-Batman (every one)
-Hawkeye
-Bronze Tiger
-Nick Fury
-Black Widow
-The Question
-Wildcat
-Ozymandias
-Green Arrow
-Catwoman
-Katana
-Huntress
-The Punisher
-Star-Lord
-Mockingbird

You believe Catwoman is a superhero?

You believe The Punisher is a superhero?

You believe Nick Fury is a superhero?

I don't mean to sound disrespectful mate, but I don't think that puts you in a position to disregard people's opinions on anything.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful mate, but I don't think that puts you in a position to disregard people's opinions on anything.

Flip it round and think about a supervillain.

Would Joker be one? Penguin? Kingpin?

I think there are two levels of superheroes. The first one being every protagonist from Marvel and DC, no matter their powers. That's how most people define them, even if it is completely wrong for certain characters like the Punisher and Nick Fury.

My super narrow definition (which you're free to disagree with and probably will): character must put on a costume and go out and patrol a city / country / planet with the intention to prevent crime and help people and it's not their actual job. So characters like Hulk, Black Widow, Nick Fury, the X-Men (sometimes) and a big chunk of Marvel characters don't really count as superheroes to me. They just live in a world with superheroes. And the Green Lanterns are space cops. Just doing their job.

Anyway, it doesn't matter much, it's just weird to me that somehow Guardians of the Galaxy is supposed to be a superhero movie. If it is then so are Star Wars and Star Trek. It's just considered part of the genre because of the Marvel logo.

It's not a big deal of course, I just find the distinction funny.

El Topo

I don't think most people really consider every protagonist in MCU as a superhero. Black Widow and Hawkeye are clearly different from someone like Captain America.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

They all are, or have been at one time, yes. You're wrong as you could possibly be on this.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I think there are two levels of superheroes. The first one being every protagonist from Marvel and DC, no matter their powers. That's how most people define them, even if it is completely wrong for certain characters like the Punisher and Nick Fury.

My super narrow definition (which you're free to disagree with and probably will): character must put on a costume and go out and patrol a city / country / planet with the intention to prevent crime and help people and it's not their actual job. So characters like Hulk, Black Widow, Nick Fury, the X-Men (sometimes) and a big chunk of Marvel characters don't really count as superheroes to me. They just live in a world with superheroes. And the Green Lanterns are space cops. Just doing their job.

Anyway, it doesn't matter much, it's just weird to me that somehow Guardians of the Galaxy is supposed to be a superhero movie. If it is then so are Star Wars and Star Trek. It's just considered part of the genre because of the Marvel logo.

It's not a big deal of course, I just find the distinction funny.

I actually totally agree with that way of looking at it! I think that's totally how I classify what a superhero really is in my head too, which I think is why I'm butting heads with a lot of people in this thread.

Also, I think for me, being able to qualify as a superhero comes down to a character's ability to do extraordinary things that differentiate them from other, much more normal human beings. Despite not possessing any conventional super-powers, Batman still very much exists in that mold for me because his will, his expertise, and his gadgets allow him to do extraordinary things...such as flying around rooftops dressed like a bat whilst going out to protect the innocent. In addition, I feel even Hawkeye qualifies as a superhero because he can do incredible things with a bow. But I feel characters like the Punisher and Black Widow, are completely different in that regard. I don't feel that you automatically qualify as a superhero just because you might happen to be really good at shooting people, or if you're great at stealing jewels, or if you just happen to rub shoulders a lot of the time with other superheroes. In that sense, I think there can be a huge difference between conventional superheroes and comic book characters who just so happen to operate within the same sphere of influence, even if they both might happen to co-exist in inherently superhero driven universes.

They all are

or have been at one time, yes. .

Well, which is it? I feel there's probably a pretty important distinction between characters who inherently aren't superheroes, but who briefly tried the superhero thing out for a time in certain story-arcs (Jessica Jones style) and those who are straight up super-heroes in their own right.

Top Bottom