• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New national monument to America's 4300 lynching victims opens Spring, 2018

It will be some bullshit about "dwelling on the past" being unhealthy for this country.

I'll be shocked if even half of them are claimed by 2025.

I dont think counties claiming them will be an issue. What I believe will happen is that some will consider the claiming of these memorial stones a quid pro quo deal to keep Confederate monuments up forever. They will say "see, you have your monument now, so be quiet about ours"
I will nervously wait to see how it all plays out.

royalan

I hardly rarely gasp at YouTube videos.

I gasped when it showed the floor sloping downward.

Incredibly powerful.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Fuck I had tears in my eyes and the hurt felt

The preview of going around and the blocks getting higher and higher perspectives wise, fuck!

This fucking country

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
4300? They just pulled a random number?

C'mon Slayven

Two years ago, EJI completed an ambitious tally of the black Americans hanged, burned alive, shot, drowned, beaten, or otherwise murdered by white mobs from 1877 to 1950. EJI’s original report identified 4,075 victims, a sizable increase from previous estimates. Since then, the list of killings has continued to grow; it now stands at 4,384.

It's not easy to read history past and get a full conclusive number
They can only research as the info allows

There must be more, but if there is not any documentation then how do you add it?

Altazor

Powerful, moving and necessary tribute, I think. Let's hope it doesn't get vandalized by sore losers (even though I know it pretty much will be).

Slayven

C'mon Slayven

It's not easy to read history past and get a full conclusive number
They can only research as the info allows

There must be more, but if there is not any documentation then how do you add it?
Sorry but " pics or didn't happen" doesn't work in real life
"Dedicated to the 4300 known and the many more unknown victims of lynching"

Not like they stopped lynching black folks after 1950.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Byrd_Jr.

This is way overdue but good. These kinds of memorials are necessary and it should include a note for the unknown number of others brutally murdered like this.

Top Bottom