• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alabama bans the removal of Confederate monuments

davis_statue_nbc.png

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/335283-alabama-moves-to-protect-confederate-monuments

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey (R) this week signed legislation that will preempt cities and counties from removing monuments to the Confederacy from public property, over the objections of black lawmakers and civil rights groups.

The legislation comes after the city of New Orleans removed several statues honoring Confederate figures in recent weeks. The measure’s lead sponsor, state Sen. Gerald Allen (R), said he hoped to end the “wave of political correctness” sweeping the nation.

“Where does it end? Are all parts of American history subject to purging, until every Ivy League professor is satisfied and the American story has been re-written as nothing but a complete fraud and a betrayal of our founding values of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?” Allen said.

The bill will block local governments from removing monuments that have been on public property for more than 40 years. It also prevents renaming public schools that have stood for 40 years.

There are at least nine confederate monuments around Alabama that would be protected under the law, including a monument at the state capitol in Montgomery, the cornerstone of which was laid by Confederate President Jefferson Davis. A Birmingham park board decided to remove one of those monuments in 2015.

Remove me and place near garbage if old.

G/A/F is supposed to be Germany, Australia, or Florida.

Regardless, this doesn't surprise me coming from Alabama. It's like the South is intent on being backwards in all aspects of life.

Fuchsdh

Wow, this got me good. Certain it was Florida.

Gotta' love how much these guys are for small government, but turn around and preempt localities from making their own decisions about anything from monuments to municipal broadband.

The actual stipulations as provided by the article:

he bill will block local governments from removing monuments that have been on public property for more than 40 years. It also prevents renaming public schools that have stood for 40 years.
There are at least nine confederate monuments around Alabama that would be protected under the law, including a monument at the state capitol in Montgomery, the cornerstone of which was laid by Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

Nine is a lot lower than I expected.

Doomsayer

I still don't get why people want the monuments to stay there. Do you really want to remember the racist losers who lost the war?

Put them in a museum or something of the sort. Don't leave them in your city/state like you are proud of them. It's absolutely maddening.

Why don't they just move them into museums where they can be better contextualized?

Exactly.

Sami+

I'd say that makes it easier to tell which lawmakers are scum but the (R) next to their name already does that for us.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Political correctness is when you tell someone they can't do or say something because it makes you angry or hurts your feelings.

“Where does it end? Are all parts of American history subject to purging, until every Ivy League professor is satisfied and the American story has been re-written as nothing but a complete fraud and a betrayal of our founding values of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?” Allen said.

Like I said in the other thread, the portrayal of these traitors, racists, and slave-drivers as innocent, care-free, symbols of Southern cheer was the re-write.

You had 100+ years to live the lie, now back to reality.

Why don't they just move them into museums where they can be better contextualized?

Someone in the other threat said it quite well. These are propaganda pieces.

They want to celebrate dehumanizing an entire race of people and profiting off of free, forced labor.

Lmo911

I knew we'd step in it, I just didn't know when and how far.

I stand by my comment in the Louisiana thread. These things should go.

"End the wave of political correctness"........

Fucking racists man. Move this shit to museums where they belong. Your heritage is seeped in fucking racism you fucking idiots.

“Where does it end? Are all parts of American history subject to purging, until every Ivy League professor is satisfied and the American story has been re-written as nothing but a complete fraud and a betrayal of our founding values of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?”

This couldn't be any more hilariously ironic if you tried.

Lol, I don't know why you would expect this to be anywhere else but Alabama since that's where all this drama is going down at. But it's too late in a lot of ways anyway, the major ones in question are gone. It'll be a few years down the line, but eventually they'll all be gone. Just delaying the inevitable.

EDIT: Oh shit, put my foot in my mouth. Those statues were in New Orleans.

Apharmd

Remember guys, heritage not hate. Black lives matter is a terrorist organization tho.

I swear it'd be easier if these racists just come out and declare themselves to be racists instead of pussyfooting around the issue.

i find it hilarious the party that complains of the "pussification of america" gets so fucking upset at the removal of their participation trophies in a war they lost

joe2187

Banned
"You're trying to erase and re-write history"

- The statue of the man you want to keep was a notorious killer or black people and wanted to see them hanged, killed or subjugated

"That's not what happened at all!"

i find it hilarious the party that complains of the "pussification of america" gets so fucking upset at the removal of their participation trophies in a war they lost

It's pretty incredible how much the right-wing part of the country projects anymore. It's borderline unreal. I mean, in this case it's no surprise, but I swear.

DocSeuss

It was interesting talking to a professor from South Carolina. Here in Lawrence, KS, some Confederate dude burned down the town, so lots of folks think of him as some sort of boogeyman character. She was dumbfounded to learn this, because back home, he was supposedly some kinda hero figure? She had no idea he'd committed the crime or how other people from elsewhere felt about him. She tried to explain this to her parents one time, and they literally did not beliee her.

Meanwhile, we're big into John Brown (y'know, the militant abolitionist), and they feel... considerably less charitable towards him.

I think a lot of folks, especially who aren't from those areas, are like "wow, easy, those people were bad." A lot of the people hailing from those areas are completely normal folks; there's a strong sense of local identity and heritage that they're proud of, in part because it's been whitewashed. They just don't really understand how the rest of the world sees people they think of as heroes.

I think a lot of folks are gonna be all "yeah, they're horrible garbage humans with no grasp of history" without really understanding how local heritage/legend/etc works. People need to be educated. They're not bad people, just unaware. And most people will struggle to accept that their heroes are bad. It's human nature.

I think the only time this has been accurately depicted in fiction is the Simpsons stuff with Jebediah Springfield.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Now if this had been Alabama or Mississippi then it would have been a real contest.

Maybe Tennessee for good measure.

Top Bottom