• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alabama bans the removal of Confederate monuments

daveo42

Banned
What most of these people don't realize is that while the Confederacy should be remembered as a part of history, it shouldn't be "honored" or "glorified" through monuments praising those who took part.

“Where does it end? Are all parts of American history subject to purging, until every Ivy League professor is satisfied and the American story has been re-written as nothing but a complete fraud and a betrayal of our founding values of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?” Allen said.

For real?! Uhh like the erasure of American history pre white people? Or the fraud that we teach in schools about what our "founding fathers" did to native and back people? C'mon. This country pisses off

Monuments are remembrances to History that still have some relevance to Today. As long as the general public regularly remembers that specific era and/or makes references to it in their daily lives then they should remain in public. However, once it becomes irrelevant to the previous conditions then place them in a museum. History, even horrible ones, should never be forgotten as forgetting them would doom us to repeat them.

Somnid

Someone in the other threat said it quite well. These are propaganda pieces.

They want to celebrate dehumanizing an entire race of people and profiting off of free, forced labor.

Eh, it's not a celebration, it's being on the losing side of a culture/identity war.

RaidenZR

Monuments are remembrances to History that still have some relevance to Today. As long as the general public regularly remembers that specific era and/or makes references to it in their daily lives then they should remain in public. However, once it becomes irrelevant to the previous conditions then place them in a museum. History, even horrible ones, should never be forgotten as forgetting them would doom us to repeat them.

The problem is that a lot of people celebrate the values of that era and person, as opposed to just looking towards it with an objective of educating and remembering.

Sunster

these monuments are designed to make confederates look like gods. not for thoughtful reflection. rip em' down and put up a plaque

Exactly right. This illuminates why Alabama is defending the continued public display of confederate monuments.

These statues are propaganda pieces that are used to venerate these people not remembering the reason behind the Civil War. The Mayor of New Orleans gave a speech about this subject.

pastrami

“Where does it end? Are all parts of American history subject to purging, until every Ivy League professor is satisfied and the American story has been re-written as nothing but a complete fraud and a betrayal of our founding values of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?”

Uh, what? I want him to explain this.

“Where does it end? Are all parts of American history subject to purging, until every Ivy League professor is satisfied and the American story has been re-written as nothing but a complete fraud and a betrayal of our founding values of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?”

Uh, what? I want him to explain this.

I believe it's called the Confederate excuse.

commedieu

Banned
lol, i remember a time when Alabamittes would run to the defenses, claiming "buh buh its not what you think!!!"

I'm going to bookmark this thread for those occasions. Easiest G/A/F Ever.

woodchuck

These people don't understand the difference between commemorating a traitor and simply reading about it in a textbook.

Doesn't really seem like these people have thoughtful reflection in mind.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/alt-rights-richard-spencer-leads-torch-bearing-protesters-defending-lee-statue/2017/05/14/766aaa56-38ac-11e7-9e48-c4f199710b69_story.html?utm_term=.b98e2d808b72

State government protecting white bigots and their legacy? I didn't see this coming.

"Political correctness" is just kindness and respect towards others.

I don't get the pushback.

It is being used by bigots and stupid moderates to say "It's uncool that you don't let us do our bigoted things like call you a nigger or defund public services that assist brown people."

Shiggy

Do these monuments have some kind of museums/information boards around to give some historical context, or are these monuments "just there"? Probably the latter.

It also prevents renaming public schools that have stood for 40 years.

Ok, must be the latter.

I feel like there is probably a difference between wanting to erasure history and no longer wanting to honor horrible people from history with monuments.

This is dumb, I hope if these states ever go blue the first thing they do is repeal this dumb law and get rid of all of them.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
People should treat this like the NC bathroom bill, and businesses should start pulling out of the state.

Perhaps we can get the government there to put up monuments right next these monuments showing the repercussions of these Confederate icons? Actually, on second thought, while the idea would be to give more context I think the folks in Alabama would get off more on the monuments of slaves and auction blocks, etc.

Cocaloch

Why don't they just move them into museums where they can be better contextualized?

That's pretty much exactly what they don't want.

This doesn't make any sense at all? I'm not even seeing your argument unless it's if we still remember a period we should never touch anything from that period. Which doesn't seem to be any sort of reasonable argument. Meanwhile, your last sentence is meaningless drivel. History is a useful tool, not a prophetic device. Besides, getting rid of a statue isn't forgetting history.

The people there today literally have no real connection to any of these monuments, amazes me people would hold on to them so tight. Just put them into a musuem or whatever.

SeanC

Ok then. Deface them nightly, Alabama peeps. That's what they deserve. Spraypaint, TP, knock down even. Or maybe put up a little placard at each one telling what that shit monument is really celebrating.

Top Bottom