• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Confederate monument set to be unveiled in Alabama

deadbeef

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/08/new_confederate_monument_to_be.html

As cities from New Orleans to Baltimore tear down statues of Confederate generals, a new Confederate monument is slated to be unveiled later this month in Alabama.

The memorial to "unknown Confederate soldiers" is being erected next to an RV Park about 50 miles south of Montgomery in an unincorporated area of Crenshaw County, according to Jimmy Hill, commander of the Alabama division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

"The public's invited. Anyone who wants to can come to celebrate the unveiling of another monument to Confederate soldiers," Hill told AL.com.

Good grief.

Jonnax

'Sons of Confederate Veterans"?
Sounds like a pro slavery group with a super thin veneer of respectability.

The memorial to "unknown Confederate soldiers" is being erected next to an RV Park ...in an unincorporated area...

So it's a monument out in the middle of no where? Eh, let's knock it down, but it is far less important to me than the ones that get put up on government property or public property.

c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800.jpg

rjinaz

So I guess people won't have a problem with calls for this being taken down since it's not historical which seemed to be a big argument about the other statues. Lol who am I kidding.

Lunar15

Further proof that confederate paraphernalia always correlates with calls for improvements in civil rights.

Since they marched together in Charlottesville, I've got no issue calling neo-confederates Nazis.

This is obviously to pander to White Supremacists, and so I'm against it like any red blooded American should be.

But for what it's worth, I don't have a lot of problems with memorials for confederate soldiers as I do memorials for confederate leaders, and this says it's a "memorial for the unknown confederate soldiers." If it's on private property in some middle of nowhere, whatever, I'll judge that person, but I don't think it's as egregious as a street being renamed "Jefferson Davis Parkway" or an elementary school being named "Robert E. Lee Public School."

Many civil war battlefields have monuments for soldiers who died during the Civil War, and those don't rankle me because the fact is most soldiers who died on the confederate side were poor, uneducated people who were conscripted into the army and had no choice. Even if they were filled with vim and vigor to fight for the cause of black slavery, it was because they were ignorant and destitute, and the people who were in power convinced them that keeping 'the negro as a slave' was the only way to maintain white dignity. The rich plantation owner's son didn't go to fight for Old Dominion and Dixie (and if they did they weren't at the front lines), the poor farmers son who had no choice did, and in that way, I don't reserve as much ire for the soldiers that died, versus the confederate leaders who sent them to die.

This sounded like such a Bama or Mississippi thing to do.

As a non-white person, the thought of ever setting foot in Alabama terrifies me.

As a non-white person who had to live in Alabama for a year, it should terrify you unless you stick to the major cities like Birmingham and Montgomery or one of the big colleges.

This is a pretty big non-story imo... This is a private statue on private land in a garbage neighborhood. This is someone using these situations to drum up attention.

The bigger issue is official statues in schools, government buildings, government parks, etc. Not whether Bumpkin McGee places a gross statue in his backyard.

Lowmelody

This is obviously to pander to White Supremacists, and so I'm against it like any red blooded American should be.

But for what it's worth, I don't have a lot of problems with memorials for confederate soldiers as I do memorials for confederate leaders, and this says it's a "memorial for the unknown confederate soldiers."

Many civil war battlefields have monuments for soldiers who died during the Civil War, and those don't rankle me because the fact is most soldiers who died on the confederate side were poor, uneducated people who were conscripted into the army and had no choice. Even if they were filled with vim and vigor to fight for the cause of black slavery, it was because they were ignorant and destitute, and the people who were in power convinced them that keeping 'the negro as a slave' was the only way to maintain white dignity. The rich plantation owner's son didn't go to fight for Old Dominion and Dixie (and if they did they weren't at the front lines), the poor farmers son who had no choice did, and in that way, I don't reserve as much ire for the soldiers that died, versus the confederate leaders who sent them to die.

Most people that endorse slavery are ignorant and stupid. That doesn't mean they shouldn't die in disgrace.

Top Bottom