• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Deadly rally accelerates removal of Confederate statues

FyreWulff

Guys, I just spraypainted all over your house. You shouldn't be able to remove the graffiti, because now you're removing history.

MIMIC

Banned
Per CNN: "Duke has removed Robert E. Lee statute from campus chapel"

Jesus, all these confederate remnants scattered all around the country. Get rid of this shit!

I love how the rally was literally the cause of this. Like these statues would still be up had these "free speech" people hadn't rallied. The irony is more delicious than anything I could've imagined

First UF tells Spencer, "Nah" and now a confederate statue in G-Ville gets taken down, by members of Daughters of the Confederacy no less! Never thought I'd be so proud of that little town!

Eusis

That group probably wants to save the monuments mainly, but as long as it stays off public property I don't care.

Great seeing these monuments come down. They literally serve no historical purpose whatsoever as at least 95% of these memorials, monuments, and markers were erected after 1900 during Jim Crow to intimidate Black people.

Great seeing these monuments come down. They literally serve no historical purpose whatsoever as at least 95% of these memorials, monuments, and markers were erected after 1900 during Jim Crow to intimidate Black people.

Exactly. And to hear the president say they can't be comparably replaced is appalling. Statues of nameless people doing everyday things would be light years better in comparison.

Lol so the white trash manbaby temper tantrum is accelerating the process of removing these. That's the best possible outcome for such a horrible last weekend event.

Keep a few of the oldest ones in a few museums and melt down the rest.

Man, America is such a backward country

Start burning the books next?

We generally do not create books in order to worship them.

Certainly wont be the USA's hot intellect that voted in Trump and are now trying to delete history

Reminds me of ISIS eradicating sites in the Middle East

What history? These statues were erected decades after the Civil War, many in the mid-1990s. What history is there?

As far as the ISIS comparison, I guess I'd ask you what their motives are.

Certainly wont be the USA's hot intellect that voted in Trump and are now trying to delete history

How about you actually learn the history of many of these statues first before making dumb ass comparisons to book burnings and ISIS activity.

MUnited83

For you.

What history? Most of those garbage statues are recent and have been done purely to intimidate people and literally nothing else.

If you think this is "history", then i'm going to take a dump at your doorstep, and you won't be able to remove it. It's "history" now. Don't delete it.

Maybe we should erect statues of Hitler and celebrate his great history while we are at it.

Seriously though educate yourself better about what these confederate statues

1. Represent
2. The people they are memorializing
3. Why and when they were built.

So, you're comparing the Daughters of the Confederacy taking their participation trophies and storing/protecting them to ISIS..ok.

lol

Whose alt is this?

The alt is coming from inside your account

giphy.gif

Sai-kun

Banned

you'll be happy to know that everyone's internet connections are still intact, and we also have books that contain lots of history!

MIMIC

Banned
Shall you tear down the White House as it represents slave labour?

Although the WH was built by slaves, doesn't represent slave labor. To me, the major difference between these confederate monuments and all of these "other" things being likened to them is that these confederate monuments are rallying points for the Klan/Nazis. Statutes of Washington, the WH, etc. are not.

I'm not even going to pretend to be shocked but their is a confederate monument erected in a cemetery in Santa Ana, CA that is also being considered removed. It's in a private cemetery so it's taking time. Motherfucking OC doesn't fail to disappoint again.

Top Bottom