• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky mayor: 2 Confederate statues to come down after Charlottesville

geomon

Tear them down tonight. Don't wait. If you want these statues to be in a good, I'm sure one of these klansman would love to have them sitting in his yard.

No, don't do this. I really don't want it purged like this, denazification wasn't the best solution. This should be used as an educational tool to show where we went wrong.

Denazification wasn't the best solution lol? If we deconfederized in America like they did in Germany we wouldn't be having this conversation.

plus that gif i a pretty big symbolic fuck you and it's great

Ambient80

I feel he is gonna face a huge amount of resistance to this. Not just from protests, but government officials will try to block him.

I wish him luck though, hopefully he is successful.

Dishwalla

Banned
I don't see why the physical statues need to exist when you can have pictures of them. Have photos of Confederate statues in museums, and inscribes detailing why they are wrong. No need for the statue.

Charlottesville should absolutely result in a domino effect. The traitorous past of the confederacy needs to be acknowledged and shamed for as long as the US exists.
Canadian here just a question, WHY THE FUCK ARE THESE STILL UP IN THE FIRST PLACE!!???
Johnson gave them cushy government jobs and a clean slate instead of the noose.

*shrugs shoulders*

Denazification wasn't the best solution lol? If we deconfederized in America like they did in Germany we wouldn't be having this conversation.

plus that gif i a pretty big symbolic fuck you and it's great

This. What on earth is he going on about? More important than what is said, is what ISNT said. Statues of traitors and a flag that is the symbol of white supremacy in the US being allowed to stay up does nothing but minimize the sacrifice of the thousands that had to kill and die in order to make sure that slavery was not the law of the land and the south could not be the sole owners of power in the US.

Enzom21

No, don't do this. I really don't want it purged like this, denazification wasn't the best solution. This should be used as an educational tool to show where we went wrong.

Bullshit! Take a picture of it if you want it preserved but then destroy all symbols of white supremacy.

I like this, but it makes me wonder how many are left to remove (nationwide). I assume a lot?

You have White Republicans in Alabama and Mississippi who have gone on record saying they support violent measures to stop Confederate monuments being removed in their state.

Armaros

Good, let them wallow in the knowledge that their actions are just accelerating the removal of their precious confederate monuments.

Canadian here just a question, WHY THE FUCK ARE THESE STILL UP IN THE FIRST PLACE!!???
America gave high ranking confederates jobs in government and sabotaged the Reconstruction era.

You right.....we need to use higher power explosives and put the remains in the sewers

Isnt that what books and museums are for? After what these people did to Tulsa, Rosewood, and dozens of other Black neighborhoods, I couldnt care less about their sentimental feelings about Confederate monuments. I hope these monuments being ripped down eats them alive inside.

What can you teach with them that you can't without them? The fact that they exist in the first place is what got us here. Germany got on their shit quick. Executed the collaborators and blew up and got rid of any remnants of that horror. America on the other hand celebrated the confederates by erecting statues of those fuckers along with putting them into office.

Nepenthe

Mayor: We're taking down a confederate statue.

*Pro-confederate asshole kills someone*

Mayor: Alright, well, now it's two statues. See what happens when you have a temper tantrum?

Kenai

You have White Republicans in Alabama and Mississippi who have gone on record saying they support violent measures to stop Confederate monuments being removed in their state.

Hmm. I feel conflicted because I'm not so sure I'd be against violent measures to have them removed.

slit

They're not going to be purged like that. You'll always be able to find them in museums.

Brannon

Wish they'd do it to the face of Stone Mountain, but it brings in too much money for the state.

Still would be awesome to scour it though. Granite prices would drop hard for a bit.

Wish they'd do it to the face of Stone Mountain, but it brings in too much money for the state.

Still would be awesome to scour it though. Granite prices would drop hard for a bit.
That would be a huge undertaking. Unless they make the lasers in the laser show actually cut away the rock.

CHC

Good, these monuments to the Confederacy's atrocious (and I use that word in the literal sense) history should be nowhere near any context that could be construed as reverential or celebratory. Museums - fine, but the Confederacy was absolute one of the most abhorrent stains on our nation's history and should be remembered as nothing less than inhumanly cruel and reprehensible.

Top Bottom