• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sheriff pursuing felonies after Confederate statue torn down

Slayven

Okay fine so you vote Democrats because they won't defund your schools, why are your schools still bad then? In your inner cities you vote Democrat, overwhelmingly, why are they bad then?

I'm not saying start voting Republican, I'm saying that your political system has great feedback, use that to your advantage. You all here probably believe that all blacks that don't subscribe to the Democratic party and general leftist ideas are all Uncle Tom's or whatever but your loss.

I'll give an example, overwhelmingly black parents support vouchers as a solution to your education problems, that's not on the Democratic party platform is it? The Democratic party will not offend your teachers unions even though a large part of its voters want it, when these clashes happen, your interests are simply not paramount, because your vote is locked down. You'll vote for them either way.
I see how this is going.

Countdown to Hotepism

That isn't how that worked at all.

Do you think all those people who ran over the trenches in WW1 agreed with the decision? No, but if they didn't go they'd get shot dead by their own commander. Same thing probably happened in the Civil War.

Could have joined the North

Barzul

Okay fine so you vote Democrats because they won't defund your schools, why are your schools still bad then? In your inner cities you vote Democrat, overwhelmingly, why are they bad then?

I'm not saying start voting Republican, I'm saying that your political system has great feedback, use that to your advantage. You all here probably believe that all blacks that don't subscribe to the Democratic party and general leftist ideas are all Uncle Tom's or whatever but your loss.

I'll give an example, overwhelmingly black parents support vouchers as a solution to your education problems, that's not on the Democratic party platform is it? The Democratic party will not offend your teachers unions even though a large part of its voters want it, when these clashes happen, your interests are simply not paramount, because your vote is locked down. You'll vote for them either way.

The Republican party has shown zero good faith. Why don't you get this? It has nothing to do with Democrats being bad and everything to do with Republicans being much more worse. Find me a Republican candidate that is for stronger civil rights enforcement, has offered tangible solutions for inner city violence that does not equate to more police, is for expanded voting access for everyone, one that wants to target the school to prison pipeline. Find me one on the national level. I'll be waiting.

Kentuchi

Neo Member
No the geopolitics are not the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

The republican party effectively swapped places with the democratic party on issues related to civil rights following the 60s (in reaction to the Civil Rights Act).

Educate yourself.

I knew this would be brought up but I didn't want to go there because it would turn into a long winded argument about what's not really my point. 100% of Union Democrats did support the bill and it had bi partisan support. In today's climate, it probably wouldn't pass.

America is a two party system, it means that there are many shades of Republicans and Democrats as almost everyone is forced to be in one of the two. You can't just put all your eggs in one basket as an interest bloc, you won't get your agenda.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
You can't just go around destroying property. No matter what it is.

Please don't allow/promote the anti-racists to be the ones doing the most harm / damage...

Well, we're nowhere near that being a reality in this universe so I'm not sure what you're so concerned about.

Well, you can't just go around destroying public property because you don't like it. Not sure what the vandals expected to happen. However, I can sympathize with them wanting that statue torn down but can't really feel sorry for them and their method.

Kentuchi

Neo Member
The Republican party has shown zero good faith. Why don't you get this? It has nothing to do with Democrats being bad and everything to do with Republicans being much more worse. Find me a Republican candidate that is for stronger civil rights enforcement, has offered tangible solutions for inner city violence that does not equate to more police, is for expanded voting access for everyone, one that wants to target the school to prison pipeline. Find me one on the national level. I'll be waiting.

I get you but you still don't see it, in politics you make alliances on your own terms not the terms of others. Most western nations and world leaders might abhor Trump but guess what, they still need to do business with the U.S. and they would do their business.

The school choice issue I raised, google it. Overwhelmingly African American parents want this, because school choice programs uplift minorities more. It just so happens to be an injection of libertarian ideas into the education sector and naturally as the Democratic party is not libertarian it's not on the platform but African Americans want it. A single mother is not thinking of ideology when she looks at her children she just wants better schooling, she can't have it because in where she lives the leaders of the community are all firmly in one camp.

Gattsu25

Banned
Well, you can't just go around destroying public property because you don't like it. Not sure what the vandals expected to happen. However, I can sympathize with them wanting that statue torn down but can't really feel sorry for them and their method.
tg3KVVr.jpg

Sometimes public property is in serious need of some destruction.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

You really don't sympathize. It's very clear what's important to you, and using terms like 'vandals' makes it easy to know what it is.

psyfi

Banned
You've got to be pretty sick to identify more with property and "order" than the lives and wellbeing of people.

ShyMel

"Had I ordered my deputies to engage a hostile crowd, there would have been serious injuries," he said. "Statues can be replaced. Lives cannot."
I wish I could be surprised that law enforcement would endanger peoples' lives over racist statues but unfortunately they already kill minorities for existing.

Not

Banned
I couldn't give less of a shit bout this until the Nazis photographed and filmed beating Deandre Harris are arrested.

US priorities:

DADq_EOXoAAVG2v.jpg:large

You sound like the type of person

who is more devoted to order than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace
which is the presence of justice; who constantly says, "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods
of direct action"; who paternalistically feels that he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of
time; and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of
good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more
bewildering than outright rejection.

Something also stuck out to me in MLK's Letter from birmingham jail he said this
We can never forget that everything Hitler
did in Germany was "legal" and everything the Hungarian freedom fighters did in
Hungary was "illegal." It was "illegal" to aid and comfort a Jew in Hitler's Germany. But I am sure that if I had lived in Germany
during that time, I would have aided and comforted my Jewish brothers even though it was illegal

Three more charged in Durham Confederate statue vandalism

Three more people were arrested Wednesday in the vandalism of a Confederate statue on Monday night in Durham.

Dante Emmanuel Strobino, 35, and Ngoc Loan Tran, 24, both of Durham, were arrested at the Durham County Courthouse, where a woman who climbed the statue was making her first appearance after she was arrested Tuesday. Peter Hull Gilbert, 39, also of Durham, was arrested Wednesday afternoon.

All three are charged with disorderly conduct by injury to a statue and damage to real property, which are both misdemeanors, and participation in a riot with property damage in excess of $1,500 and inciting others to riot where property damage exceeds $1,500, which are both felonies. 128

Takiyah Fatima Thompson, 22, of Garner, was arrested Tuesday and charged with the same crimes, and authorities said more arrests are expected.

http://www.wral.com/three-more-charged-in-durham-confederate-statue-vandalism/16884283/

I don't think he's scum for enforcing the laws that the legislature pass. You want him to only enforce the laws you agree with?

He has discretion like every other cop.

We literally JUST SAW his buddies NOT pursuing crimes in Charlottesville. Including ramming a police line.

Even as we have Nazi's running around causing havoc, these fucking bigots STILL need to "teach blacks a lesson" and "keep them in line".

F34R

He has discretion like every other cop.

We literally JUST SAW his buddies NOT pursuing crimes in Charlottesville. Including ramming a police line.

Even as we have Nazi's running around causing havoc, these fucking bigots STILL need to "teach blacks a lesson" and "keep them in line".

How did we see his buddies not pursuing crimes in Charlottesville. I have an idea, but I wanna make sure we're on the same page before responding to it.

Is there some press release or something saying they aren't looking for the suspect who did it?

I understand your point though.

We've heard from multiple sources that they didn't give a fuck about the Deandre Harris beating.

As far as looking for suspects who were getting physical with the cops? LOL, they were committing a crime against the cops, in front of them. I've not heard any absolute statements that they aren't going to pursue those people, but one isn't necessary. We saw their response already.

And this doesn't speak to the point that : Prosecutors and cops have discretion.

F34R

We've heard from multiple sources that they didn't give a fuck about the Deandre Harris beating.

As far as looking for suspects who were getting physical with the cops? LOL, they were committing a crime against the cops, in front of them. I've not heard any absolute statements that they aren't going to pursue those people, but one isn't necessary. We saw their response already.

And this doesn't speak to the point that : Prosecutors and cops have discretion.

Oh, I know they have discretion, but it isn't as simple as that sometimes. I'd have to look at the info as to why they weren't arresting anyone from the event you're talking about. Could be not wanting to engage in an outnumbered unruly crowd, but that's just a guess at this point.

Regardless, this Sheriff enforcing laws, while another jurisdiction didn't, not kinda the same thing to be honest. Different crimes, different locations, different circumstances.

DarkKyo

This shit is getting scary... I'm glad I'm on the outside looking in. Your country is about to go to hell...

Don't answer racism with violence and vigilantism... that's like answering a punch with a gunshot. You are only making things worst.

Without "violence and vigilantism," America would not exist as its how we removed ourselves from an empire. The good people of this country have taken the oppression long enough to continue waiting for things to just get better via the system(they won't), so fuck the idea that we need to respect these petty, racist monuments simply because they are someone's property.

newjeruse

One of the hurdles we will have to overcome at some point is the large amount of white nationalists who have infiltrated law enforcement.

Neith

Banned
The Civil War was so fucking bloody and ridiculous. And loud. I don't think some people have any clue how terrible and destructive that war was. It's borderline insanity at its worst.

The Confederates were crazy people just knowing what kind of forces they were going against, and they still did it. And they still lost. And all that blood and guts for what? Why do people even give a shit about these monuments. And besides that there is basically no connection anymore to anything they stood for really. Most people that show off the flag don't even know much about the Civil War.

They chose to cause a war with almost 2m casualties? And we celebrate this for some odd reason. I get that people want to represent rebellion, but these people have no idea how crazy this war actually was, and how useless it ultimately was for the South.

Ri'Orius

Guys, no matter what it symbolized, you can't just go around destroying property. Breaking the law to prove a point isn't protest, it's a crime.

That tea belonged to the East India Company, and throwing it in the harbor out of pure spite won't help your cause.

I don't think he's scum for enforcing the laws that the legislature pass. You want him to only enforce the laws you agree with?

I find it hard to call that assembly a riot. And even then the police have agency to decide what and when to pursue charges. Shit is just trumped up bullshit to make an example if these people because the police have a hard on for these statues as well. Pursuing felony charges here is horse shit.

DarkKyo

They chose to cause a war with almost 2m casualties? And we celebrate this for some odd reason. I get that people want to represent rebellion, but these people have no idea how crazy this war actually was, and how useless it ultimately was for the South.
Those who cling to history without truly understanding its context are utterly hopeless. These people don't have glorious or even stable lives so they turn to their unsightly and grotesque heritage to find meaning. I'd almost feel bad for them if they weren't such hateful monsters. It's like if a large portion of Germans turned to Nazism simply because their own lives were unbearable.. thankfully the standard of living and education in Germany is better than the southern states here so that's not likely to happen.

Neith

Banned
I agree you can't go around breaking property. I honestly don't know what to do here. A felony is crazy. The statue stands for nothing really anymore. So ehhhhhhh. I would not do this, but I can't really blame some people.

But taken to the extreme, if you don't prosecute this, it turns into anarchy. I don't know how to solve this problem, which seems to be a growing problem. I think the South has a right to do as they please with their own culture, but I still heavily disagree with that culture and all the pain and torment it caused in the 1800s on to today. That war was fucking absurd and grotesque, and I am not sure I would ever forgive the people that caused it.

Not

Banned
Bree Newsome‏Verified account @BreeNewsome

�� Durham Co. Sheriff's office is currently arresting and conducting raids on the homes of people who removed Confederate monument yesterday
Lamont Lilly‏ @LamontLilly 17m17 minutes ago

My crib was one of the places they raided yesterday @BreeNewsome. Every closet, every drawer, ripped my mattress. Totally trashed the place!

https://twitter.com/LamontLilly/status/897793262290915329

hey look, state sanctioned vandalism and retaliation. I mean law and order. Mikey the token moderate to tell those most affected how to behave.

My mind is just blown.

Neith

Banned
Now if the fucking police ripped my mattress I would file a complaint, and that person should definitely do that. Shit is destruction of property. They do not have a right to do that.

DarkKyo

But taken to the extreme, if you don't prosecute this, it turns into anarchy. I don't know how to solve this problem, which seems to be a growing problem. I think the South has a right to do as they please with their own culture, but I still heavily disagree with that culture and all the pain and torment it caused in the 1800s on to today. That war was fucking absurd and grotesque, and I am not sure I would ever forgive the people that caused it.

The point of ripping statues like this down, en masse, is to send a message that we're no longer willing to tolerate the rotten system that propagates racism and cultivates these cancerous hate groups. If you were to give the disenfranchised the options of systematic oppression or anarchy what do you think they're more likely to root for? I'm not for anarchy at all, but the alternative, what we have now, is much worse off for some people.

I agree you can't go around breaking property. I honestly don't know what to do here. A felony is crazy. The statue stands for nothing really anymore. So ehhhhhhh. I would not do this, but I can't really blame some people.

The government made it illegal to remove these statues specifically to curb opposition and stick it to minoritirs. Miss me with this anarchy crap. It didn't come to this because people refused to use other means. It came to this because white supremacists literally said "no we make the rules and you will obey".

The police chasing felony charges on the basis that this was a riot are horse shit. They are being purposely spiteful. They don't have to, they just want to.

the210

I'm guessing they are throwing in the Felonies to force people to take a plea. Whats the jury pool look like in that area. It seems like Jury Nullification is in order.

Kusagari

The "participation in a riot" charge just shows they're trying to fuck these people over for life.

This sheriff is scum.

A felony for that is complete bullshit and I'm ashamed that even cops on a mostly progressive forum would agree with him.

Top Bottom