• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky mayor: 2 Confederate statues to come down after Charlottesville

The white supremacist movement rn

tenor.gif

watershed

Banned
Good. Never stop. Destroy the physical history of the Confederacy. This and people of color succeeding are probably the only 2 things that hurt racists.

Xe4

Banned
Good. Never stop. Destroy the physical history of the Confederacy. This and people of color succeeding are probably the only 2 things that hurt racists.

History doesn't need to be destroyed. In fact, I'd prefer if history wasn't destroyed ever, no matter what the movement was. But there's a difference between preserving history and revering it.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Don't destroy them, that's a step too far. History needs to be remembered. But they shouldn't be put in a place that suggests that they represents what the modern world stands for.

Amalthea

Banned
Don't destroy them, that's a step too far. History needs to be remembered. But they shouldn't be put in a place that suggests that they represents what the modern world stands for.
If heaps of shit are allowed to stand they should at least be put where they belong to:

4370513283_f053f717demul89.jpg

watershed

Banned
History doesn't need to be destroyed. In fact, I'd prefer if history wasn't destroyed ever, no matter what the movement was. But there's a difference between preserving history and revering it.

I'm talking about the physical history of the confederacy. There shouldn't be a single public monument to the confederacy in this country.

nekkid

We're any of these statues erected after the war? Because that shit can be destroyed.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
We're any of these statues erected after the war? Because that shit can be destroyed.

Pretty sure most of them were. They didn't have that much time or resources to build these things during the war. They needed that metal for bullets

This statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest is visible from the main interstate that runs through Nashville

Not only is it horrible that we have a monument to this fucker, the thing is hideous

vMpVsW4.png

Yeahhh, no museum for this hideous piece of trash. Blow it up and use the remnants for a better, less racist project.

But this stuff isn't history. These aren't items from the time of the Confederacy that we can put in a museum and educate around about the civil war and the events of that time. These are statues that were raised afterwards. There is nothing about it to remember.

Mr. X

People still want to keep momuments of traitors and racists. Your outrage about Charlottesville is so insincere.

Grug

But this stuff isn't history. These aren't items from the time of the Confederacy that we can put in a museum and educate around about the civil war and the events of that time. These are statues that were raised afterwards. There is nothing about it to remember.

There might be a place for a statue of General Lee somewhere in the narrow context of a museum of great military tacticians.

The rest should be turned into port-a-loos.

Yep these are cultural items of a remembrance cult. Their only historic value is in documenting how communities wanted to remember the event and the people involved.

It's an important aspect to social history studies. yet also their removal and the fierce and violent reaction to that decision is much more interesting as a historian.

nekkid

Hence my later post that said if it was post-war creations then they should be destroyed.

SilentRob

No, don't do this. I really don't want it purged like this, denazification wasn't the best solution. This should be used as an educational tool to show where we went wrong.

Yeah, really helped us in Germany to learn what went wrong seeing Swastikas everyday...oh wait, no, showing Swastikas is illegal which only strengthened the imprssion that anything con edged to this ideology is plain unacceptable In our society.

Destroy it. Keep or build a handful of historical buildings and sites as museums and make it mandatory for schools to go there like Auschwitz today. But 99% of this stuff has to go or nothing changes.

Agreed, my concern is that these statues will just be destroyed or hidden. They should be put in museums, we should not be ignoring or covering up the past.
Nah. Fuck that.

At the very best they should be added to the warehouse where the Ark is stored. There's nothing to be learned from these specific statues, they're monuments to men who never deserved them and are posed to reflect grandeur.

Over time knowledge of them will become forgotten, or people will twist the meaning to something new but these guys don't deserve to have another chance at being remembered in positive ways.

Let their memories only be known as shit scraped on the bottom of your heel.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I didn't know if any were pre-war.

There weren't really any idolized ideological types before the war, really. It is mostly generals who made their name on the battlefield.

I mean, they're civil war monuments. Civil war had to happen before you made a monument for it

nekkid

There weren't really any idolized ideological types before the war, really. It is mostly generals who made their name on the battlefield.

I mean, they're civil war monuments. Civil war had to happen before you made a monument for it

Thanks for the clarification. Post-war idolisation of specific leaders is pointless to keep, so yeah, destroy them.

Sorry, my assumption was that these were actual relics of pre-war or during the war, which should be preserved imo.

Mathieran

Banned
Y'know the fact that all the Neo nazi groups carry around confederate flags and worship all the old confederate leaders should be all the information that we need to know the south was not about states rights. Anyone using that argument today is either being insincere or ignorant.

Tear it all down.

Thanks for the clarification. Post-war idolisation of specific leaders is pointless to keep, so yeah, destroy them.

Sorry, my assumption was that these were actual relics of pre-war or during the war, which should be preserved imo.
Why should they be kept if they were pre-war? What value is gained by having them? Should Germany have let statues of Hitler and Nazi monuments stand because they were pre-war? If you're going to say historical preservation we have this new invention called the camera.

nekkid

Why should they be kept if they were pre-war? What value is gained by having them? Should Germany have let statues of Hitler and Nazi monuments stand because they were pre-war? If you're going to say historical preservation we have this new invention called the camera.

Are you saying that photos have the same impact as seeing relics in real life? And I did not say that should just be left to stand - they should be moved to a museum and given the appropriate context.

It's like why there's segments of the oppressive Berlin Wall preserved - which should also be in a museum if geographic location and logistics didn't matter.

But anyway, you're arguing against something which has no matter, as I was corrected that these are post-war artefacts.

Ithil

I'm glad they're not getting destroyed. History should never be destroyed, regardless of how fucked up it is. I hope they're relocated to a museum so everyone can see how we can all change from what once was
Still is,
sadly.

They're not burning history books, they're removing statues dedicated to racist traitors.

Good on the mayor. There needs to be some fucking blowback after the insanity that's going on right now. The statues should've never been put up in the first place but this country's history was literally built on supporting racism. Tear them all the fuck down. Make some attempt to show these Nazi shit heads that their racist ideology and history is wrong.

Must be real tough for the quieter racists that like to pretend they support these monuments and that fucking flag because of heritage. Tough to push that pretense with the vocal unashamed racists marching and now killing people for these.

Fuchsdh

It seems likely this will be a continuing trend. Like GamerGate, the protests around the statues are only going to increase awareness and suggest that they are untenable in the current climate, so the white supremacists will be counterproductive in their stated aims. A lot easier to justify leaving them where they are if there are not injuries and deaths resulting from protests around them.

Top Bottom