• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sheriff pursuing felonies after Confederate statue torn down

Z3M0G

You can't just go around destroying property. No matter what it is.

Please don't allow/promote the anti-racists to be the ones doing the most harm / damage...

Pilgrimzero

I hope more of the statues get pulled down. And if they are put back up, pull them down again.

Though perhaps in the dark of night and with some stealth.

What a silly generalization.
Relax. There's no slippery slope that goes from symbols of oppression to burning down your house or whatever.

Please don't allow/promote the anti-racists to be the ones doing the most harm / damage...
AFAIK, only one side has run over people.

It's cute watching the 'usual suspects' talk about the importance of law and order when black men are murdered by police or why we need SWAT teams called in on protesters, but never seem to have much commentary when monuments celebrating civil rights are defiled.

The idea that property is more valuable than people is one of the cornerstones of white America's racism. I strongly encourage you to modify your thought process that removing a statue is "the most harm" compared to running over people with cars.

Only thing shameful is people willing to give evil the benefit of the doubt

It makes you wonder about all of those people who publicly said that we just have to wait for Trump to make the pivot towards decency since Jeb Bush was still in the running for the republican nominee

Jakten

Where society has taken wrong turn when being nation of laws and order and being for it is same as being racist?

When the society allowed racists to create it's laws and social norms. Laws are are created by people they aren't some magical thing that's always existed, they can be wrong. Not just in how they are created but in how they are enforced. Many laws in the US were created with race in mind even if they have been changed or modernized in some way. The formation of the police itself is deeply ingrained with racism.

Z3M0G

Lock up this traitor sheriff and have his Confederate ass rot in prison.

This shit is getting scary... I'm glad I'm on the outside looking in. Your country is about to go to hell...

Don't answer racism with violence and vigilantism... that's like answering a punch with a gunshot. You are only making things worst.

Where society has taken wrong turn when being nation of laws and order and being for it is same as being racist?

When the laws and order in question were created by racists.

You'd be one of the people pouring milkshakes on protesters at a sit-in.

This shit is getting scary... I'm glad I'm on the outside looking in. Your country is about to go to hell...

Don't answer racism with violence and vigilantism... that's like answering a punch with a gunshot. You are only making things worst.

You can afford to take this non-committal stance because you're on the outside looking in.

Sai-kun

Banned

I didn't know statues had feelings :(

Additionally, what the fuck are you talking about.

Just talk to the terrorists, maybe they'll decide not to run us over if we speak with soft enough voices.

Kentuchi

Neo Member
Racism doesn't go away if you close your eyes to it.

Edit: Please read this entire post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1279671

I didn't talk about closing eyes and sticking ones head in the sand, I'm talking about anger.

Most of those white supremacists are angry people, defeated people who have been given a means to vent the anger inside them by their ideology. It's a cycle and that's the aim of the enemy.

I'm not American BTW, I'm Nigerian and maybe it's because of how also messed up my continent is that I can tell you that anger won't build your schools and your communities, voting wisely would. It might sound crazy but this anger has led you to vote as a block for the Democratic party, what have you gotten out of that deal?

Your anger has been manipulated because it will be manipulated, that's the way the world works. MLK had a clear vision and it was one of persistence, Nelson Mandela also had a clear vision, Robert Mugabe was the angry one and well we see how that turned out.

Sai-kun

Banned
I'm not American BTW, I'm Nigerian and maybe it's because of how also messed up my continent is that I can tell you that anger won't build your schools and your communities, voting wisely would. It might sound crazy but this anger has led you to vote as a block for the Democratic party, what have you gotten out of that deal?

I would love to hear your non-American opinion of who/what exactly you think minorities should be voting for if not the Democratic party, lmao.

Garlador

See, the lawful part of me is agrees, to a point...

But when the law habitually fails, when symbols of hatred and intolerance and bigotry cast a looming, mocking shadow on the populace, when icons of suppression and dehumanization linger in the spotlight and are championed by the vilest of our numbers and affirmed by our politicians, it is the duty of us as decent members of the human race to unequivocally condemn and cast off these festering reminders of the shame so many continue to propagate in our midst.

If it was a monument of a Swastika there'd be no question, no debate, no matter what the state government permitted. It should be torn down and those that did so applauded for their action. If it was a statue honoring the KKK with a burning cross in the park, the disgust it would engender among the morally conscience would be such that to remove it with or without government permission would be lauded for their civic duty to stamp out such razor-sharp hatred.

"The South Will Rise Again" proponents have waged a century-long propaganda war to lionize their side, equate their generals and soldiers as morally equal to those of the North, and to downplay the core issue of the war and muddy the history of their actions. They've largely succeeded and the counter-information has arrived far too late. To address Confederacy actions with the truth is, well, "fake news" to those with predilections to justify their privilege and mono-culture.

Civil disobedience is built into the very fabric of American's establishment, so to rationalize it against current social acceptance is difficult. Our nation was founded as an act of traitorous rejection of the English crown, destruction of English property, and refusal to submit to English law.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

And there were countless individuals who begged Revolutionaries to just be silent, to stop causing trouble, to follow the law... to exist in the "negative peace with the absence of tension" instead of the "positive peace with the presence of justice".

I am not a person of color, not visibly... I got my skin color from my mother, while my father's darker skin clearly stands out where I grew up. I never received the prejudices he received, the insults hurled his way. I didn't have to live under the shadow of monuments erected by spiteful and hateful masses to serve as eternal reminders that countless individuals disapprove of the equality and freedom our Constitution guarantees him and anyone else living in this nation. But he did, every single day. He endured it with a strength I could never hope to match.

Monuments of shameful racism and inequality are categorically un-American, and it is an American's duty to rend them from their pedestals.

It may not be lawful... but I can scarcely argue it is not RIGHT.

Mr. X

Don't answer violence with violence? They're outnumbered, they benefit from people rolling over and getting out the way.

Barzul

Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, Fair Housing Act. I'm Nigerian as well and you have a very myopic view of American politics. The geopolitics in Nigeria and Africa in general are not really comparable to the United States.

The Kree

Banned
I'm really grateful for all the level headed Juniors who occasionally pop in to remind everyone that order must always come before justice. I hope they hold on to that idea if they ever find themselves on the ground with a boot to their neck making them fade away quietly.

kess

It's going to hell because people like Trump support the rights of statues and convictions of nazis and use that to justify the death of a protester because "both sides." Did you miss the thread where someone got run over?

StuKen

Tell that to hundreds of kids summarily executed by police without repercussion. The hundreds of thousands of black males locked up for minor offences. Tell that to the millions who are disenfranchised while trying to engage with the system on its own terms.

If you don't have any skin in the game is easy to sit back and say if only you do it this way if will be fine. Things look different when you live with the entire apparatus of the state breathing down your neck and at any moment could come crashing down on you simply because you are a different skin colour.

Gattsu25

Banned
I didn't talk about closing eyes and sticking ones head in the sand, I'm talking about anger.

Most of those white supremacists are angry people, defeated people who have been given a means to vent the anger inside them by their ideology. It's a cycle and that's the aim of the enemy.

Your anger has been manipulated because it will be manipulated, that's the way the world works. MLK had a clear vision and it was one of persistence, Nelson Mandela also had a clear vision, Robert Mugabe was the angry one and well we see how that turned out.
You should educate yourself about American issues before you talk about them, I'm sorry.

What have voting Democratic gotten us? It's prevented us from electing candidates whose political platform is to defund our education system in black communities, make it easier for us to be killed and produce weak or no punishments for those that kill us, enact laws that keep us in captivity, and prevent us from even being able to have a vote us from being able to vote again using. numerous. methods).

You speak of voting for our best interest? That's WHY we vote for the democrats. Not because they are the best. Not because they are perfect. But because the other option only ever sees us with contempt and have crafted their entire political ideology as a means to belittle us.

But you don't know that so maybe you should look it up.

But hey, I'm not going to pop off at the mouth about the current political and social situation in Nigeria because I'm not well versed and would be speaking out of my whole ass.

B18jyzmIcAATmIW.jpg

Glad to see you have no idea what you are talking about.

Slayven

A lot of juniors popping up telling minorities to suck it up, funny how that is

Anti racists didn't kill a woman last weekend

Jakten

I'm really grateful for all the level headed Juniors who occasionally pop in to remind everyone that order must always come before justice. I hope they hold on to that idea if they ever find themselves on the ground with a boot to their neck making them fade away quietly.

I just got banned, guys I just got fucking banned. I need milk. I NEED MILK. ʷʰᵃᵗ ᶦˢ ᵐʸ ᵖᵉᵒᵖˡᵉ ˢᵃʸ?

Exis

So I always figured the point of protesting and civil disobedience is to get arrested? You can't pull down a statue and assume you will get a pass for it.

Kentuchi

Neo Member
Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, Fair Housing Act. I'm Nigerian as well and you have a very myopic view of American politics. The geopolitics in Nigeria and Africa in general are not really comparable to the United States.

Erm but these were supported by more Republicans then but this is not the issue.

The geopolitics are the same but I know how politicians behave, we see the true nature of politics here, and I can tell you that when a party knows they've locked down your vote they tend to not court you so much hence you see fewer results.

So I always figured the point of protesting and civil disobedience is to get arrested? You can't pull down a statue and assume you will get a pass for it.

That is often the result, that's why it takes a lot of courage to do what Takiya Thompson did.

Mister Wolf

Erm but these were supported by more Republicans then but this is not the issue.

The geopolitics are the same but I know how politicians behave, we see the true nature of politics here, and I can tell you that when a party knows they've locked down your vote they tend to not court you so much hence you see fewer results.

Voting republican isn't a option for any minority with sense. Two party system.

It's scary what the state of the US is going to be like come election time in a few years. I expect it to be totally chaotic... Really fearful for the state of the country now.

kewlmyc

Technically what they did was illegal, so I get why the police are going after them.

However, I don't blame the people who did it at all. Fuck the confederates.

Slayven

Google southern strategy

Gattsu25

Banned

No the geopolitics are not the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

The republican party effectively swapped places with the democratic party on issues related to civil rights following the 60s (in reaction to the Civil Rights Act).

Educate yourself.

legacyzero

Banned
Laws are laws. That said, I'm sure many of these folks knew that going into this. And I appreciate their balls. Pictures of that may go into the history books. To me that's worth it.

Bring those fucking statues down or we'll take em down.

Also- I was born and raised in Virginia. My Facebook feed is... frustrating lol

moggio

Banned
With a Ku-Klux muu-muu
In the back of the truck,
If you ain't Born Again,
They wanna mess you up, screamin',
"No abortion, no-siree!"
"Life's too precious, can't you see!"
What's that hangin' from the neighbor's tree?
Why, it looks like 'colored folks' to me!

(Would they do that seriously?)
(They've been doin' it for years!)

What if [Trump] gets in the White House,
And suddenly
The rights of 'certain people' disappear
Mysteriously?

Now, wouldn't that sort of qualify
As an American Tragedy?
(Especially if he covers it up, sayin'
"Jesus told it to me!")

I hope we never see that day,
In The Land of The Free
Or someday will we?
Will we?

Yes we will, Frank.

Yes we will.

#zappaforpresident

psyfi

Banned
Two more were arrested this morning. Loan Tran and Dante Strobino.

Fight this folks, we need solidarity actions and fund raising across the country.

Kentuchi

Neo Member
You should educate yourself about American issues before you talk about them, I'm sorry.

What have voting Democratic gotten us? It's prevented us from electing candidates whose political platform is to defund our education system in black communities, make it easier for us to be killed and produce weak or no punishments for those that kill us, enact laws that keep us in captivity, and prevent us from even being able to have a vote us from being able to vote again using. numerous. methods).

You speak of voting for our best interest? That's WHY we vote for the democrats. Not because they are the best. Not because they are perfect. But because the other option only ever sees us with contempt and have crafted their entire political ideology as a means to belittle us.

But you don't know that so maybe you should look it up.

But hey, I'm not going to pop off at the mouth about the current political and social situation in Nigeria because I'm not well versed and would be speaking out of my whole ass.

B18jyzmIcAATmIW.jpg

Okay fine so you vote Democrats because they won't defund your schools, why are your schools still bad then? In your inner cities you vote Democrat, overwhelmingly, why are they bad then?

I'm not saying start voting Republican, I'm saying that your political system has great feedback, use that to your advantage. You all here probably believe that all blacks that don't subscribe to the Democratic party and general leftist ideas are all Uncle Tom's or whatever but your loss.

I'll give an example, overwhelmingly black parents support vouchers as a solution to your education problems, that's not on the Democratic party platform is it? The Democratic party will not offend your teachers unions even though a large part of its voters want it, when these clashes happen, your interests are simply not paramount, because your vote is locked down. You'll vote for them either way.

Barzul

And the alternative is to vote Republican or not vote? If you think that you're naive when it comes to American politics educate yourself. LBJ + Kennedy were Democratic presidents that led the charge for civil war. The Republican response was the Southern strategy. The Dixiecrats all switched over to the GOP in response to it. The Democratic party gave up the white vote (majority) for generations to pass civil rights, black people in this country are just not going to forget that.

This is the mainstream Republican's exposure to race:

https://twitter.com/jackdwagner/status/897598398492278785

You can't even write this shit.

Okay fine so you vote Democrats because they won't defund your schools, why are your schools still bad then? In your inner cities you vote Democrat, overwhelmingly, why are they bad then?

Ah the Chicago response. Please name all these terrible inner cities. Can you? It's a regurgitated talking point.

Top Bottom