• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sheriff pursuing felonies after Confederate statue torn down

LinLeigh

I seem why you don't grasp the situation

Born and raised in Georgia the heart of the confederacy, I seen how this people are worshiped saw the systems they built after being pardoned in the war continue to subjugate black people . IF they were forced to fight and weren't bad people, why did they start lynching black people right after the war?

Why did did they burn down any thing freed slaves built?

Just because you want to give evil a pass doesn't mean others should

So you ignore the part where I agree with the statues being taken down and the clamping down on the groups?

I would be completely fine with making the flag and the groups illegal.

"In 1861 the Confederate Provisional Congress passed a number of laws to create a national army. By the end of the year upwards of 200,000 men were under arms and the volunteer and militia systems provided the bare minimum of men needed to defend a large country. But by the beginning of 1862 it became obvious to members of the Confederacy’s political and military elites that once the terms of enlistment for the volunteers started to expire, and many men decided not to reenlist, the country would face a manpower shortage. Earlier legislation attempted to address this problem by offering liberal incentives to reenlist, but these incentives proved to be ineffective. In recognition of this problem, Jefferson Davis sent a message to the Confederate Congress on March 28, 1862 recommending the enactment of a system of conscription."

They couldn't even get enough men while offering incentives so they started to use conscription.

That doesn't mean that there weren't plenty of evil soldiers. Or plenty of evil Southerners after the war.

The nazi's had soldiers that would gleefully torture and murder people.

The Russians were the good guys in that war and yet some people feared being liberated by them. Because they would pillage their way through to Berlin caring little for the people they were liberating.

LinLeigh

Slavery was evil and I wish that everyone involved was evil. The world would be much easier to live in.

The nazis were evil and I wish everyone involved in it was evil because the world would be much better.

The genocide in Rwanda was evil and I wish everyone involved in it was evil.

It would be very nice if all the evil things done by humans now and in the past were done by evil people. Because if that was the case it would be so much easier to win. It would be like a disney movie. Good vs evil and good will prevail.

The sad reality is that people are capable of a lot of evil shit without them being "evil"

It is important to understand that especially now. Because your nice lady next door might be calling the secret police on you if the US ever becomes a dictatorship. Or the nice boy at the grocery store might be the one killing the gay guy he happily served for years.

EDIT: I would like to make clear that I don't think the scum at the alt right rallies was anything but evil sons of bitches. This is the beginning stage not the part where people get swept along. Afraid or filled with propaganda.

F34R

Sorry, I must have missed it. :( Can you clarify why jury nullification can't apply here?

My understanding is that if a jury believes the existing law or charges are unjust, it may vote to acquit despite evidence, direct instruction from the judge, and existing law.

But maybe I'm totally misreading this. (And of course I assume it's really unlikely that this could happen anyway.)

I wouldn't be able to explain it any better than what is in the link. I wouldn't know if it could be applied here or not.

jbug617

Banned
The suspects are turning themselves in
Want to make sure you all saw this photo. It's the line of people in Durham waiting to turn themselves in for toppling the Confed statue.
DHb6YIdVoAA7Dme

https://mobile.twitter.com/celesteheadlee/status/898180488321544192

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Slavery was evil and I wish that everyone involved was evil. The world would be much easier to live in.

The nazis were evil and I wish everyone involved in it was evil because the world would be much better.

The genocide in Rwanda was evil and I wish everyone involved in it was evil.

It would be very nice if all the evil things done by humans now and in the past were done by evil people. Because if that was the case it would be so much easier to win. It would be like a disney movie. Good vs evil and good will prevail.

The sad reality is that people are capable of a lot of evil shit without them being "evil"

It is important to understand that especially now. Because your nice lady next door might be calling the secret police on you if the US ever becomes a dictatorship. Or the nice boy at the grocery store might be the one killing the gay guy he happily served for years.

EDIT: I would like to make clear that I don't think the scum at the alt right rallies was anything but evil sons of bitches. This is the beginning stage not the part where people get swept along. Afraid or filled with propaganda.

Those people you claim to (rightfully) hate?

They support the statues you're fighting so hard to defend because they embrace the racism behind their placement.

You're arguing for Nazis. Stop and think about that.

rjinaz

Would be even better if they all get arrested

They are banning entry from anybody not on official business. They are only accepting people that have warrants open on them.

Lol they are trying to shut it down. So no there won't be any arrests.

The real fight in NC is to ensure that the black community is able to vote. The NC Democratic party should send out representatives to amazing gatherings like this to get people to volunteer for get out the vote efforts. This energy needs to be directed.

Top Bottom