• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Deadly rally accelerates removal of Confederate statues

I hope some are put into museums where proper context can be prominently displayed that the confederate were pieces of shit. But only a few statues are needed for that. Destroy the rest.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Yknow who they should replace those statues with?

170px-General_sherman.jpg

Damerman

I hope some are put into museums where proper context can be prominently displayed that the confederate were pieces of shit. But only a few statues are needed for that. Destroy the rest.
Yah. Put them shits in museums and teach the real history behind it.

These aren't confederate statues. They are of confederates, but they are not from the Civil War, and do not honor the Civil War. They were erected during the Jim Crow era as a form of intimidation and to show African Americans who was still in charge of them.

They are more appropriate in a civil rights museum or a Jim Crow museum, but even so, these monuments are not made for historical significance or anything like that, and don't really matter if they're preserved or not since they don't provide context or historical information about the Civil War.

Koomaster

Should just auction each of them off to the public; with the stipulation the new owner has to pay for removal and not display the statue outside at its new location. Would be funny seeing a bunch of makeshift barn museums pop up. Basically if these racist care about 'preserving history' so much, let them pool their money and buy it back before it gets destroyed.

Or hell progressives could start a bidding war, buy up the statues and then destroy them on the spot right after the auction is over.

In the end, statues are gone and cities get money to be used for erecting statues/plaques/landmarks of worthy people and things.

FyreWulff

The hilarious thing about Confederate sympathizers wanting the symbols of the failed uprising everywhere is that their idol Robert Lee wanted zero Confederate symbolism at his funeral or estates and even the goddamn battlefields he fought in.

Dre3001

Jacksonville is an interesting case. The city itself is very conservative. But from most articles I have seen regarding the statue removal there it seems like people prefer they would be placed in a museum then still kept standing where they are.

I want an exhibited dedicated specifically to smashed and toppled confederate monuments. The plaques and audiotour specifically detail when and how they were removed.

Kthulhu

The hilarious thing about Confederate sympathizers wanting the symbols of the failed uprising everywhere is that their idol Robert Lee wanted zero Confederate symbolism at his funeral or estates and even the goddamn battlefields he fought in.

So much for their heritage.

Instead of trying to keep statues in museums or putting plaques next to them, we could actually teach the Civil War the right way

bengraven

Thankfully Gainesville is pretty liberal town so there has been a ton of support for it. But of course you have your racist complaining that it's all millennial self hating whites and lesbians, and the "black thugs" that have caused this to happen to a true patriotic American.

Averon

What a massive backfire. Anyone who truly believe the "heritage not hate" mantra of keeping confederate history in the public sphere should be livid at Spencer and his Nazi-ilk.

Darksol

I mean, going from not removing anything at all to removing multiple statues is technically "accelerating", it feels a bit disingenuous - let's not pretend like these mayors and random politicians were actually doing anything beforehand (despite what they may claim)

I'm not sure statues meant to honor after the fact even have musuem value.

As a non American. I'd assume the real historical value is in examining and remembering the period in time that these were constructed, why these statues were being commissioned as late as the 20th century. This seems like a dark stain that shouldn't be buried.

Obviously you don't need 700, nor should they be outside of a meusem. Tear em down.

TBiddy

The more I read about these monuments, the more astonished I am at how okay the US is with celebrating their dark past. You don't see Germany leaving giant Nazi celebrating monuments up for display.

Well, except for the Olympia Stadium, the Reichsparteitagsgelände, Kehlsteinhaus and others, you're absolutely right.

LiK

I bet the racists didn't expect their rally to be such a success. It reminded people why the Confederates were traitors.

RPGCrazied

Good. How about going for that Robert E. Lee statue that was front in center in that horrific rally this past weekend?

DrArchon

Wish we'd see some of this on Monument Avenue in Richmond. Still got Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and Davis blighting up an otherwise beautiful street. And I'm pretty sure the Sons of the Confederacy are planning and rallying around there to show support for the statues.

Jackpot

Banned
Wish we'd see some of this on Monument Avenue in Richmond. Still got Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and Davis blighting up an otherwise beautiful street. And I'm pretty sure the Sons of the Confederacy are planning and rallying around there to show support for the statues.

If you want to see it then why not do it yourself? What's stopping you?

Yoritomo

I'd really like to be there when they topple the one in Denton square, but I guess waking up one day and not having it be there would be nice too.

I'm thinking about this one as well. I'm somewhat local.

There used to be segregated water fountains on that one. I don't think the true intent of these memorials could be any clearer.

UNT starts classes in a couple weeks. May be a good year for getting rid of that monument to traitors and bigotry.

RPGCrazied

James Woods‏Verified account @RealJamesWoods 18h18 hours ago

Before the #liberals find a reason to deface, destroy or degrade this one, I thought some of you might like to see it one more time...

The more I hear from this guy, the more angry I get. No idea this guy was this bad.

DrArchon

Because I have borderline crippling anxiety that basically makes me piss my pants at the thought of breaking the law in any way. And even if I had the balls I don't have the people skills to get a bunch of guys together to get the job done.

Basically I'm a weak coward, and I accept that.

Fuchsdh

Because some people are big on talk, small on action.

(Also, I'd like to see a single person try and take down any of the statues on Monument Ave. They aren't small.)

"We should not glorify a part of our history in front of our buildings that really is a testament to America's original sin," Gainesville Mayor Lauren Poe said Monday

Wouldn't our original sin be what we did to the natives here? Just saying. Either way, taking down all the confederate stuff is LONG overdue. Not only for what it represents but they FUCKING LOST. I thought Trump hated losers so he should love this, right?

Top Bottom