• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Deadly rally accelerates removal of Confederate statues

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.wfmz.com/news/ap-nationa...ates-removal-of-confederate-statues/605035856

In Gainesville, Florida, workers hired by the Daughters of the Confederacy chipped away at a Confederate soldier's statue, loaded it quietly on a truck and drove away with little fanfare.

In Baltimore, Mayor Catherine Pugh said she's ready to tear down all of her city's Confederate statues, and the city council voted to have them destroyed. San Antonio lawmakers are looking ahead to removing a statue that many people wrongly assumed represented a famed Texas leader who died at the Alamo.

The deadly white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, is fueling another re-evaluation of Confederate statues in cities across the nation, accelerating their removal in much the same way that a 2015 mass shooting by a white supremacist renewed pressure to take down the Confederate flag from public property.

"We should not glorify a part of our history in front of our buildings that really is a testament to America's original sin," Gainesville Mayor Lauren Poe said Monday after the statue known as "Old Joe" was returned to the United Daughters of the Confederacy, which erected it in 1904.

A county spokesman said he did not know if the statue was removed because of the events that killed one person and injured dozens more Saturday in Charlottesville. But many officials who were horrified by the confrontation soon began publicizing plans to take down statues.

The Southern Poverty Law Center last year counted more than 1,500 things around the country named after Confederate figures or dedicated to the Confederacy, including holidays, statues, flags and the names of cities, counties, schools and parks. Nearly half are monuments, which are in 24 states. Most of the dedications are in the South, but 24 are in the North and 21 in states that did not exist at the time of the Civil War.

In Jacksonville, Florida, City Council President Anna Brosche ordered an immediate inventory of all of the Confederate statues in her city in preparation for their removal.

"These monuments, memorials and markers represent a time in our history that caused pain to so many," she said Monday.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
They can put one up of Heather Heyer while they're there.

giphy.gif

dickroach

Gainesville's a college town. not surprised
Jacksonville is a lot of pick-up trucks and guns and camo hats. interested to see if anything happens there

m3k

nice... it must be really weird to have had racism normalised in public names and places and to be of colour in those areas

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gainesville's a college town. not surprised
Jacksonville is a lot of pick-up trucks and guns and camo hats. interested to see if anything happens there

Jacksonville is a very odd city but as noted in the article they already removed a statue. They can take thier Andrew Jackson statues with them while they are at it.

It shouldn't take senseless death to finally remove these statues, hopefully no more lives will be lost while we slowly accelerate towards removal.

Hazmat

Might as well burn down Monticello too then, right? How about that White House?

There's a difference between destroying anything built by slaves regardless of historical significance and destroying things that exist solely to glorify a rebellion centered on the preservation of slavery.

Ryuuroden

Might as well burn down Monticello too then, right? How about that White House?

Most of this shit was put up in the 20's as a fuck you. I myself am against removing stuff from the actual era or even battlefield or cemetery memorials but this shit is indefensible to keep up. There is a false narrative about the history of these statues that has fooled many due to the lost cause narrative.

Edit: even stuff from the civil war era is debatable because unlike other monuments from other eras of different figures who may have had racist beliefs, those people were the norm of their time and had some redeemable qualities that could be argued to make up for some of their bad qualities. The civil war figures and what they represent did not contribute anything good to the world. (By this I mean there is more of a argument right or wrong to recognize individuals like Thomas Jefferson than their is to recognize civil war confederate leaders in memorials and such)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
smelt them all down and reforge into a giant swastika and then

UX4lal2.gif

Karamsoul

I wonder what they're going to do with Stone Mountain. The confederate soldiers are etched onto the side of the mountain.

thebeeks

Banned
I'd really like to be there when they topple the one in Denton square, but I guess waking up one day and not having it be there would be nice too.

Slime

Banned
Put the ruined statues in museums.

Put the photos of their removal in the text books.

Memorialize the healing, not the travesty.

This is history.

JettDash

If I was a billionaire, I think I would pay to get rid of as many of those things as possible and tell the pissed off Nazis to eat shit.

I wonder what they're going to do with Stone Mountain. The confederate soldiers are etched onto the side of the mountain.

Blow it up, hopefully. It's nothing but a modern monument to slavery and racism. There's no real historical value to it as it was only carved out about 100 years ago.

The more I read about these monuments, the more astonished I am at how okay the US is with celebrating their dark past. You don't see Germany leaving giant Nazi celebrating monuments up for display.

rudger

They can put one up of Heather Heyer while they're there.

I feel like they should rename the street after her.

Also, I'm all for this. I do think there is value having some memorials up that represent those times. Not in an honorary manner, but as a reminder of where we have come and how things used to be. for instance, I have seen plaques explaining how an area was once used for slave trade. It doesn't celebrate it, but it does remind those who may not realize how close to their homes such things were.

Kthulhu

Blow it up, hopefully. It's nothing but a modern monument to slavery and racism. There's no real historical value to it as it was only carved out about 100 years ago.

The more I read about these monuments, the more astonished I am at how okay the US is with celebrating their dark past. You don't see Germany leaving giant Nazi celebrating monuments up for display.

We gave up halfway through reconstruction, Germany didn't.

Top Bottom