• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black leaders in Ariz. push for removal of state’s confederate monuments

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

In Arizona, black leaders and officials on Monday intend to make their formal request that the state’s six Confederate monuments be removed. The most public memorial is actually located across from the state Capitol. There is also the matter of a small highway southeast of Apache Junction that is named after Jefferson Davis, who was the first and only president of the Confederacy, a monument that state Rep. Reginald Bolding unsuccessfully attempted to rename.

According to the report, Patrick Ptak, a spokesperson for Ducey, said that the governor’s office started looking into the process of a memorial removal or a name change “a week or two ago” as rumblings began to stir.

Ptak added that the news conference is directed at the wrong official, saying that the matter of the memorials “really fall under the jurisdiction of other entities,” according to the report.

Curt Tipton, an adjutant with Arizona’s Sons of Confederate Veterans, blasted the call for the removals, saying that to do so “because somebody is offended is ridiculous.”

“We will fight any removal attempts,” Tipton told The Republic (because of course, they will).

As The Republic notes, the Confederacy claimed the lower half of what is now Arizona before it became a U.S. state. More than 300 Confederate soldiers are estimated to be buried there.

Mark L

The fuck? That area played such a minor part in the civil war, and they built a monument there anyway? To the CONFEDERACY?

ST2K

As an Arizonan, I was wondering why I never heard of Jefferson Davis Highway.

5d166d89-3ec5-48bc-83b5-103aa42b1a24.jpg

This seems like it'd be easily remedied.

Anyway, I continue to be OK with the removal of such monuments, as long as they're preserved in a museum or something.

antonz

Fully support their removal as an Arizona resident. They are your typical Fuck Black people response memorials. The One at capital building was put up in 1961. A more recent one in 1996 etc.

Anyway, I continue to be OK with the removal of such monuments, as long as they're preserved in a museum or something.

That monument isn't even worth preserving.

What the heck? Arizona barely existed back then.

Makes sense though. Loads of white people in my community in California who couldn't stand to live with the minorities anymore moved to Arizona.

The fact that this is like the next culture battle is completely disgusting. So many fucking white supremacists and enablers in this country.

sans_pants

avec_pénis

why?

Ovid

The fuck? That area played such a minor part in the civil war, and they built a monument there anyway? To the CONFEDERACY?
Probably related to the Gadsden Purchase and the southern route of the Transcontinental Railroad:

With the encouragement of Davis, Pierce also appointed James Gadsden to negotiate with Mexico over the acquisition of additional territory.

From AZ and I didn't even realize these were a thing. To the best of my knowledge I've literally never seen or heard of any Confederate monuments here, though I guess I'm not particularly surprised. Well, yanking these out is a no-brainer and I'm pretty most folks here haven't heard of these either, so naturally there shouldn't be any sort of difficulty removi- lol, couldn't even finish that. I'm sure Ducey will TOTALLY be accommodating.

Kentucky was neutral through most of the civil war, but had 100,000 citizens join the Union to fight and about 25,000 join the confederacy. I cant remember if it ended with Kentucky fully joining the Union or asking for their help but the state was fully on the Unions side for most of the war.

Today there are hundreds of monuments to the Confederacy in Kentucky but only a few dozen for the Union.

Not the person you quoted but:

Destroying history is... problematic. It is valuable to have them preserved, in the proper context, so people can see the past. In 50 years people will be shocked to learn that a monument to a confederate president was out in public, it should be preserved for them to see.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Fully support their removal as an Arizona resident. They are your typical Fuck Black people response memorials. The One at capital building was put up in 1961. A more recent one in 1996 etc.

Destroying history is... problematic. It is valuable to have them preserved, in the proper context, so people can see the past. In 50 years people will be shocked to learn that a monument to a confederate president was out in public, it should be preserved for them to see.

does this shit really count as history? "hey we put up some racist shit because black people were getting uppity, dont tarnish our heritage bro"

We're you concerned about the Germans destroying history by removing statues celebrating the Nazi's? These are shitty monuments that were erected in the racist 1950s and 1960s not some meaningful artifact from the civil war. You don't preserve history by erecting new statues to celebrate shitty people from a dark part of your national history.

Ovid

Put it a museum.

No need to have a monument of a traitor displayed in or around government property.

Alright. Then replace the monuments with images of the cat o nine tails wealts on the back of a slave or a white slavemaster raping one of his slaves along with an excerpt from the cornerstone speech instead of pathetic monuments like this that do little but praise villainy because this monument should be shocking to see today not in another half century. Yet we still have bullshiters calling this cultural heritage as though there's still some doubt

This is ridiculous!

Arizonans should be able to celebrate the CULTURAL HERITAGE OF THEIR STATE that wasn't even a state until 50 years after the Civil War was over

ST2K

Since some of you seem confused about the history of AZ and the Civil War:

- It was a territory that was fused with New Mexico at the time legally, although at this point local powers had recognized they were different entities and just couldn't get the paperwork through due to tensions related to creating new territories.
- When the Civil War started, the southern half of the territory seceded. Not because of a reliance on slaves in the territory, but because they had economic ties to the South and they felt abandoned by the US. The government was reassigning army divisions to fight in the Civil War that had previously been assigned to the area to defend against Apache raids, causing feelings of resentment.

- The CSA ran a few guerilla-style skirmishes on Union supply lines to CA through this region. There were a few casualties, but nowhere near as many as took place in the major theaters of the war.
- The Union marched in some regulars from California and quashed resistance for good in 1862, roughly halfway through the Civil War.

So yeah, Arizona was a part of the Civil War, and the majority of the monuments in question are related to the battles/losses that took place in AZ:

Arizona has six Confederate memorials.

- Memorial to Arizona Confederate troops, Wesley Bolin Memorial Plaza, Phoenix.
- Arizona Confederate veterans memorial, Greenwood Cemetery, Phoenix.
- Jefferson Davis Highway, U.S. Highway 60 at Peralta Road, Apache Junction.
- Arizona Confederate veterans memorial, Southern Arizona Veterans Memorial Cemetery, Sierra Vista.
- Battle of Picacho Pass monument, Picacho Peak State Park.
- Monument at the four graves of the only Confederate soldiers killed in action in Arizona, Dragoon Springs stagecoach station east of Tucson.​​​​​​

Since some of you seem confused about the history of AZ and the Civil War:

- It was a territory that was fused with New Mexico at the time legally, although at this point local powers had recognized they were different entities and just couldn't get the paperwork through due to tensions related to creating new territories.
- When the Civil War started, the southern half of the territory seceded. Not because of a reliance on slaves in the territory, but because they had economic ties to the South and they felt abandoned by the US. The government was reassigning army divisions to fight in the Civil War that had previously been assigned to the area to defend against Apache raids, causing feelings of resentment.

- The CSA ran a few guerilla-style skirmishes on Union supply lines to CA through this region. There were a few casualties, but nowhere near as many as took place in the major theaters of the war.
- The Union marched in some regulars from California and quashed resistance for good in 1862, roughly halfway through the Civil War.

So yeah, Arizona was a part of the Civil War, and the majority of the monuments in question are related to the battles/losses that took place in AZ:

Learn something new etc.

Top Bottom