• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Confederate monument set to be unveiled in Alabama

Kin5290

There is a also group with daughters in the name but they've been quitely removing the statues.
The Daughters of Confederate Veterans were behind the installation of many such statues and were an integral part of the "Lost Cause" movement. I suppose they could have become woke in the decades since, although more cynically they could just see where the tide is turningZ

It's not like the Alabama government is doing this. This one will be on private land. People can put any statue they want on their own land, I guess.

Oriel

Since they're celebrating terrorists they should also put a monument to the Taliban, AQ and 9/11 plotters. Only fair right.

televator

Sons of human slaver traitors. Interesting to have so much pride in such a group. They really don't see or care how transparent this is. I don't see an epidemic of modern Germans falling over themselves to defend "muh heritage" of Nazi ancestry and errect monuments in peculiar places.

shandy706

Just saw where 4 women were arrested for "vandalizing the Vance Monument" in Asheville this morning.

Article said it's a memorial to a dude that was the Mayor during the civil war. Not sure about his details otherwise...as it left them out.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This is obviously to pander to White Supremacists, and so I'm against it like any red blooded American should be.

But for what it's worth, I don't have a lot of problems with memorials for confederate soldiers as I do memorials for confederate leaders, and this says it's a "memorial for the unknown confederate soldiers." If it's on private property in some middle of nowhere, whatever, I'll judge that person, but I don't think it's as egregious as a street being renamed "Jefferson Davis Parkway" or an elementary school being named "Robert E. Lee Public School."

Many civil war battlefields have monuments for soldiers who died during the Civil War, and those don't rankle me because the fact is most soldiers who died on the confederate side were poor, uneducated people who were conscripted into the army and had no choice. Even if they were filled with vim and vigor to fight for the cause of black slavery, it was because they were ignorant and destitute, and the people who were in power convinced them that keeping 'the negro as a slave' was the only way to maintain white dignity. The rich plantation owner's son didn't go to fight for Old Dominion and Dixie (and if they did they weren't at the front lines), the poor farmers son who had no choice did, and in that way, I don't reserve as much ire for the soldiers that died, versus the confederate leaders who sent them to die.

There's a difference between a war memorial and something glorifying the disgusting cause confederate soldiers fought for.

Example. In Europe, some towns have war memorials. Memorials to people the town lost in wars. All wars. Germany even has WWII soldiers names on some of theirs. They aren't glorifying what they fought for, but remembering what the town lost.

I know some American cities have similar "all soldiers" memorials.

Future

This is what you call good old fashion trolling from grown adults in the political climate. They know racial tensions are high. They know confederate memorabilia is seen as controversial. They know there was violence last week involving people marching with confederate flags.

GREAT TIME TO UNVEIL THE LATEST IN CONFEDERATE LOVE. All are invited! Complimentary torches available!

Fuck these states.

deadbeef

My thoughts on this are that we have historical sites all over the southern US where battles were fought and lives were lost. Leave the statues and such for those areas.

Putting up random statues in 2017 to honor Confederate soldiers is just crazy.

being erected next to an RV Park

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllll

And Alabama continues to be our inbred neighbor (Georgian here)

Well at least its another thing I can make fun of them for!

DarkKyo

UB8JZOg.gif

Time to call in an orbital strike on that shit.

The RV part is pretty funny. Government's all like: "ok you guys as long as you're cool with continuing not having livable wages you can have this dumb statue that keeps you animals sated"

Damaniel

Banned
Yet another participation trophy being erected by the shittiest state in America. And near a trailer park - big surprise.

Morlas

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllll

And Alabama continues to be our inbred neighbor (Georgian here)

Well at least its another thing I can make fun of them for!

*is embarrassed*

well it is backwoods alabama i suppose i am so glad i grew up in Birmingham and not somewhere else in the state

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You know I came in here hoping for a twist, like it being a monument to the slaves and people who helped win the war... but I'm not at all surprised it's exactly what I expected.

People gonna have fun defacing the shit out of it until they give up and take it back down while being protested by all the people living in that RV park.

There's a difference between a war memorial and something glorifying the disgusting cause confederate soldiers fought for.

Example. In Europe, some towns have war memorials. Memorials to people the town lost in wars. All wars. Germany even has WWII soldiers names on some of theirs. They aren't glorifying what they fought for, but remembering what the town lost.

I know some American cities have similar "all soldiers" memorials.

Yeah agreed, that's why when OP refers to this as "memorial for the unknown confederate soldiers," it's not as much on my radar... Apparently in the article it says it's "a memorial for the soldiers from Crenshaw county who never came home."

No idea what it actually looks like though, I don't think I'll ever be stepping foot in Alabama anytime soon.

It's really weird how if a black person says they are descended from slaves people tell them to get over it, but white people are cool to be in groups celebrating their ancestors that fought for slavery.

Well 1 bonus would be it not being over 40years old and protected by state law.
on the other hand it isn't in a big area and is private land so I don't know what the options will be.

This is obviously to pander to White Supremacists, and so I'm against it like any red blooded American should be.

But for what it's worth, I don't have a lot of problems with memorials for confederate soldiers as I do memorials for confederate leaders, and this says it's a "memorial for the unknown confederate soldiers." If it's on private property in some middle of nowhere, whatever, I'll judge that person, but I don't think it's as egregious as a street being renamed "Jefferson Davis Parkway" or an elementary school being named "Robert E. Lee Public School."

Many civil war battlefields have monuments for soldiers who died during the Civil War, and those don't rankle me because the fact is most soldiers who died on the confederate side were poor, uneducated people who were conscripted into the army and had no choice. Even if they were filled with vim and vigor to fight for the cause of black slavery, it was because they were ignorant and destitute, and the people who were in power convinced them that keeping 'the negro as a slave' was the only way to maintain white dignity. The rich plantation owner's son didn't go to fight for Old Dominion and Dixie (and if they did they weren't at the front lines), the poor farmers son who had no choice did, and in that way, I don't reserve as much ire for the soldiers that died, versus the confederate leaders who sent them to die.
Yeah and monuments to the Einsatzgruppen and Concentration Camp Guards don't bother me either, they were just poor uneducated Germans. They didn't know the Jews were people!

We should also honor the Serb Soliders who fought for their people vs Bosniaks too right? They didn't know they should massacre Muslims!
/s

But in all seriousness, to the bolded. The abolitionist cause wasn't unknown to these people. They chose their cause.

Fucking Alabama. Pretty embarrassed to have been born there, but it's not like I had a choice. The South is so awful sometimes
Edit: And by sometimes, I mean 99% of the time if you are black.

Binabik15

UB8JZOg.gif

Time to call in an orbital strike on that shit.

The RV part is pretty funny. Government's all like: "ok you guys as long as you're cool with continuing not having livable wages you can have this dumb statue that keeps you animals sated"

Where's the gif from?

And lol at trailer trash being convinced of their superiority as whites. But muh heritage!

I saw a fuckface with lots of suspect tatts, a big dog and skinhead tee in Germany today. He looked like he had what we call "supranasal deficit", too. Urgh. Made me too angry type properly right now.

Top Bottom