• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Netflix on Xbox is Fucking Awful

Fantomex

Has two of the best TV shows of the past decade (Breaking Bad, Friday Night Lights)

You are wrong. So very wrong.

I see your point, but you could watch that in 2 months. It's not worth paying for after that. But this is subject for a different thread.

For 7.99 its still a shit-ton better than anything else out there at the moment.
HBOGO will be much better

Has two of the best TV shows of the past decade (Breaking Bad, Friday Night Lights)

You have to wade through entirely too much shitty content to get to the good.

It would be better if you could customize whats shown on your page and limit it to nothing rated below 4 stars or recent theatrical releases.

I only watch Netflix to watch old tv, and alot of it, The autostart is really annoying. And the cover art icons are alot smaller..

It's just alot of really bad design decisions...I could understand this interface on a next gen Tablet, but not on a TV.

charsace

Some things I like and some I don't. I would like to see a mixture of things from this version of netflix and the previous one.

Apath

I like how it plays the video right away and has an option to watch the next episode immediately. Watching TV shows is a lot better, to me. Fast forwarding/rewinding isn't as nice and the menu looks like a cluttered mess.

To be fair, he did say movie selection.

vixlar

Well, I'm from Mexico, so Netflix on xbox is a novelty for me. I can't compare with the old interface, but I don't see what is so bad.

I don't know what are you referring for chapters... if it is for series, I can chose any chapter I want. If it is for chapter in the movie, well, I didn't know you could that.

My complain is not with the interface, is with the service. Netflix Mexico is not close to Netflix USA. But that's another subject.

Ah, what I didn't like is that Bing doesn't look into Netflix catalog in mexican version. I have another xbox with an USA account, and that version does look into Netflix. Weird.

WillyFive

You have to wade through entirely too much shitty content to get to the good.

It would be better if you could customize whats shown on your page and limit it to nothing rated below 4 stars or recent theatrical releases.

Netflix customizes itself based on what you watch. After a while, you will start getting the movies that you would really like instead of the "most common denominator" selection available at start up.

Some things I like and some I don't. I would like to see a mixture of things from this version of netflix and the previous one.

Yeah, same for me. I love the including of subtitles though, that makes it worth for me (not a native English speaker, often have trouble with dialogue).

Are there any movies/series that support those multi language audio? Just wondering.

TheContact

Fuck, I'm right there with you. SMH.

My biggest complaint is how it looks when you're browsing through titles. I don't need to see every row of every catagory at the same time. Such a horrible UI, who thought that was a good idea?!

That's actually the only change I really like other than option to play the next episode at the credits. It was annoying to see the whole page scroll just because you moved one slot to check out the next video. This way you can scroll and the screen stays still until you move to the next row of movies.

Bgamer90

Banned
Step back in terms of UI but it's sooo much better with kinect voice control than the previous one.

So I like it I guess.

TheCrow

One thing I do love in the new Netflix is that they added subtitles. I always turn on subtitles whenever possible. I also like that I can start the next episode in a series as the credits roll.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't know what the fuck they did to it on Wii. The interface is exactly the same after a recent update except everything is five times as sluggish. It takes longer to switch between rows, to load episode information, to bring up and enter the search...its ridiculous.

Mastperf

The HD playback is fine. Its just the streaming method has changed it doesn't do the long pre-buffering like before. Its actually in line with how it streams on the PS3 and web now. The quality is lower at the beginning and after a few seconds you should be seeing HD.

If you still aren't seeing HD maybe its a connection issue on your end or Netflix is experiencing load problems. You should double check the former and then contact Netflix support.
Netflix has been a buggy mess lately. I've been using my PS3 and the fast forward and rewind buttons stop working completely. It's not the PS3 since local videos work fine.

On another note, Sony must have paid quite a bit for console excusive 1080p since it's still PS3 only after so long.

Hmm...I really like it. At least when watching television shows. If want to rewatch some Parks & Rec it is easier to pick a season and then episode instead of scrolling through one list of the show. Also, I like that selecting the show will start playing the episode you are on. And the option to immediately go to the next episode once the credits start. I agree that the whole "shelf" look of the UI sucks though, but that isn't enough to get upset with. People are just resistant to change.

Except for the price. Cable TV subscription + premium channel subscription.

Given the success of streaming services like Netflix and the decline of cable subscriptions because of it, my guess is it won't be long until HBO allows for direct billing.

MrPliskin

Banned
Except for some of us who rarely have our PS3s on. We are lazy and rather access it through XBL rather than starting up another console. :D

So the shitty experience is less of an inconvenience than reaching out for another remote to enjoy a superior browsing experience? I can't imagine ANYONE is that lazy. You'd literally have to be either batshit insane, or not own a PS3.

Ever since PS3 got Netflix, I haven't used it on my 360 once. There's no reason to! The PS3 app is leagues better.

i like it. finally i can see other shows. netflix before this was "search, party, whats on your queue". im not gonna go behind my pc everytime i want to queue shit up.

how the hell was i supposed to find new shit? and now i can see the shows with captions? YESSSS!! fuck the guys complaining about the UI. its better than it was before. when will you guys be happy?

Apath

So the shitty experience is less of an inconvenience than reaching out for another remote to enjoy a superior browsing experience? I can't imagine ANYONE is that lazy. You'd literally have to be either batshit insane, or not own a PS3.

Ever since PS3 got Netflix, I haven't used it on my 360 once. There's no reason to! The PS3 app is leagues better.
Looking at YouTube videos, it's definitely a nicer interface. Still, it isn't superior enough to turn off your 360 and start up the PS3 if you're already on the 360. The 360 app is still functional.

XNarte

i like it. finally i can see other shows. netflix before this was "search, party, whats on your queue". im not gonna go behind my pc everytime i want to queue shit up.

how the hell was i supposed to find new shit? and now i can see the shows with captions? YESSSS!! fuck the guys complaining about the UI. its better than it was before. when will you guys be happy?

Wait did you seriously only have those 3 categories before? I had that happen to me once or twice before, but it was a glitch or something because normally all the genre categories showed up.

This new UI absolutely hinders usability. These are the most egregious problems:

1. Scrolling is now unquestionably slower. It takes about 50% longer to scroll through queues.

2. Movies and TV shows begin playing automatically, without request. Movie and TV show descriptions can't be read and episode lists can't be browsed without this happening. Users are forced to pause something they didn't start.

Additional issues:

- Cover artwork is now about 50% smaller, creating more wasted screen real estate.

- Less information is immediately available regarding movies or TV shows, including year of release and expiration date.

Is this the fault of Netflix, Microsoft, or both?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Wait... they made it even worse after removing party watch?

fucking hell

Edit: Gonna update the xbox and see for myself.

I disagree, they improved it a lot. I like the subtitles and the ability to see more options at once when I am browsing.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

One device is already on, so I use that one. Switching to an entirely different system just to start up the same app? Even with the steps backwards made in the new 360 Netflix app, no UI is worth that level of inconvenience. If the 360 is on, I use that one. If the PS3 is on, I use that one.

Except for some of us who rarely have our PS3s on. We are lazy and rather access it through XBL rather than starting up another console. :D

Too lazy to, say, press the PS button on your dualshock, or any button on the bluetooth remote?

Agreed.

edit:
One device is already on, so I use that one. Switching to an entirely different system just to start up the same app? Even with the steps backwards made in the new 360 Netflix app, no UI is worth that level of inconvenience. If the 360 is on, I use that one. If the PS3 is on, I use that one.

I guess it comes down to if you think using the better app is worth it, and in most cases, hells yeah it is.

I tried running this and it locked up my Xbox.
Same here. Managed to get a couple of episodes of The Office season 7 in last night but that damn 'trying to start before you even select anything' shit has got to go. I do like how seasons are broken up now though.

DR3AM

i agree, update sucks

1. they removed party watch.
2. movies look crappy now, no more HD symbol
3. episodes play as soon as you click on the show
4. menu seems laagy and locks up for a second

i do like the subtiles option

RedAssedApe

Banned
Given the success of streaming services like Netflix and the decline of cable subscriptions because of it, my guess is it won't be long until HBO allows for direct billing.

I'd be all up for it if it was like around $10. Until then...I'm not doubling my Time Warner Cable bill just to watch HBO. :)

You'd be surprised how lazy some of us are. But in all seriousness...I don't think the Netflix app on 360 is shitty enough for me to have to power up my PS3 just to watch a movie when my 360 is already on. The UI needs definite improvements and is a step down in some aspects but its not unusable as so many people are trying to claim.

XNarte

I'd be all up for it if it was like around $10. Until then...I'm not doubling my Time Warner Cable bill just to watch HBO. :)

So true. I just cancelled my digital cable and HBO but was contemplating keeping it to try HBO go, but my bill would have been 130.00 a month compared to the 60.00 I'm now paying for internet and basic cable.

Would love it standalone like a Netflix subscription though!

JaggedSac

Looks so much nicer now. Being able to select episodes while streaming is also way cool.

I haven't played any tv episodes yet, but if you can select episodes while you are playing the current one, that is pretty cool. Kind of annoying that it autostarts, but it doesn't slow down the interface so being able to select a new episode wouldn't be hindered by the video in the background.

Foxix Von

there's 5.1? get the fuck outta here which movies have that? I'm tired of this fake pro logic surround stuff I'm dealing with.

Wait... xbox users didn't have this before? Sorry, I stopped paying for XBL a while ago so I don't know, I kind of assumed that they updated it around the same time the PS3 got it. Very glad I stopped paying a premium for... whatever the hell this is.

I still miss that awesome PS3 test UI.

The fact that the new 360 Netflix starts to play the instant you select a TV show makes it the worst UI out of every device I've tried.

i thought that was the best thing ever! i mean, why would i not want to start from the start of a show?

Before new netflix app, I was watching Deep Space Nine with glorious full screen. After the update and the new app, I now get black bars. Fuck you new netflix app!

JdFoX187

Banned

Moconews.net said:
HBO Co-President Eric Kessler told a gathering of industry boffins this morning in New York that there is no chance his company will make shows like True Blood or The Wire available to digital non-subscribers. HBO currently has around 30 million customers, all of whom must buy its content as an upgrade from their cable or satellite package.

Kessler said that, despite the success of HBO GO (“It’s HBO Anywhere”), the company has no plans to offer the new mobile offering to a broad audience. HBO first unveiled GO as a browser-only service last year and then launched it as an app for phones and the iPad this spring. Kessler said 55 percent of GO downloads have occurred on the iPad (GO is not yet available on other tabloids) while phone downloads were about evenly split the iPhone and Android devices.

Source: Moconews

Find and dandy if every cable provider offered it. I'd subscribe to HBO if the cable provider here was in the 21st Century and had this But nope, only the largest of the large cable providers will offer this stuff.

Cth

I don't mind the new changes, except for one thing.

I can't play from the beginning anymore. My daughter will start watching something and change her mind or something and later wants to watch the movie she started earlier.

I have to rewind to the beginning or fast forward to the end. And I can't fast forward unattended, because it'll stop a minute or two before it ends.

Top Bottom