• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Netflix on Xbox is Fucking Awful

There are some weird UI choices. Yes some of the responses are extreme (i.e. idiots on the Netflix blog saying they are going to cancel their subscription over this) but some of the criticism is warranted.

Off the top of my head some of the things brought up:

- Not being able to restart the video from beginning
- Loss of Party Viewing (although this is a claimed API issue so I would give Netflix the pass)
- Cluttered Home Page
- Slower shifting between cover art
- Loss of Recently Watched category
- Doesn't show when a title is expiring
- Can't browse episode list without first buffering and starting an episode
- Display menu is gone

LOL. This makes me want to murder. How can Netflix(and MS?) be so fucking stupid?

If they wanted to tweak the overall interface, whatever, but don't go fucking taking out every feature and adding in stupid ass shit features(the poster art icon turning into a shitty low-res screenshot).

Jesus H netflix, get your shit straight.

RedAssedApe

Banned
What was the reasoning for taking out Party Watch again?

MS said its not supported in the new app API. I'm guessing it may return down the line. If it does it would be cool if it worked with all video based content if all parties are eligible for access (i.e. ESPN, UFC, Hulu Plus, Netflix, etc.)

El Sloth

Banned
MS said its not supported in the new app API. I'm guessing it may return down the line. If it does it would be cool if it worked with all video based content if all parties are eligible for access (i.e. ESPN, UFC, Hulu Plus, Netflix, etc.)
I hope it does. Mediocre movies suddenly become amazing with some friends.

low-G

New 360 dashboard blows
New Netflix on 360 sucks
New Twitter on iPhone is shit

This is the beginning of the end folks. Next is martial law.

So glad to see this thread. New Netflix sucks so, so much. It was pretty good before. All they needed to do was fix a few problems it had and just leave it be, not fucking redesign it into a pile of shit. I'm not going to add any complaints because I'm sure they've all been covered, but damn it sucks.

Kuroyume

Banned
The search seems to be slower for me too. I guess the one good thing is that they got the DVD only rentals out of there.

NavNucST3

Hmm...and now Recently Watched Category is back. Maybe my mind is playing tricks...

This is a frequent occurrence for me previous UI and current when it happens I just go through my queue though it sucks for items I might have forgotten to add to instant.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Tag Quote. I can't believe the responses in this thread! It's terrible and it replaced a something perfectly fine!

Eh. It was never especially great IMO. When I tried it, it was constantly rerezzing the stream every few minutes and it'd randomly crap out etc. Didn't like the browsing interface either. (Made me motion sick flipping between boxes.)

The PS3 version OTOH, that was functional so that's the one I used. Got even better when it was moved off the disc.

Nose Master

I like it. The video starts playing immediately in ass quality, but it's easy enough to get to where you want to go, episode list wise. It also brings up the menu for the next episode during the credits! And, has universal subtitle options for everything.

Lebron

Do I really have to rewind all the way back in order to restart a movie/show? They use to have a "restart" option you could select.

WaltJay

I said "Xbox play next episode" and it worked, so there's that. I'm not sure if I could have been doing that the whole time.

It seems like the theme of the new XBL UI is to add back more layers to everything. I wish MS will let us pick themes and customize, or at least give us one blade/channel to add stuff that's most used, i.e. play game in disc, Netflix, Game Marketplace, etc.

Elginer

Is the brightness fucked up on Netflix movies for anyone else? I haven't read through this whole thread so just asking if it's just me. Was watching a movie last night and had to keep messing with my picture settings. My blacks are now grays. What the hell happened to this app?!!!

whitehawk

Banned
After seeing this thread I thought "Oh GAF is probably just over-reacting again". But I just checked it out myself, and GAF is justified this time. It's too cluttered, lots of input lag and less user friendly. I hate it.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I agree with it being awful. All I want is to a list of episodes to pop up first, not automatically playing. Too much to ask?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
i fucking laughed so hard when I realized I had to fucking REWIND my movies to rewatch them. HOLY SHIT.....HOLY. SHIT.
After spending some time with the new app, I really think that this is the most mind-numbingly stupid exclusion of them all. I honestly don't get it. The people who worked on this shit should all be face-punched, repeatedly.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Seems like you can't download the old Netflix app via your download history anymore. At least not through xbox.com. Or maybe that just pertains to apps in general.

Hotsuma

From Netflix Blog:

Lulz...some people are so silly.

I actually liked the party feature for Netflix and IMO it's the only thing that justified people needing the XBL Gold pass to use Netflix. If the party feature is gone, I don't see the point of requiring a Gold pass to have access to Netflix. I wouldn't buy a Xbox just for the Netflix party feature (like the person you're speaking of on the Netflix board), but I can understand some people liking the feature enough to pick it up.

The 'Recently Watched' movies are still there. The interface is just too busy now, too much scrolling through stuff. How about using the categories from the old Netflix and keeping some of the visuals from the newer version? I don't understand what the dash preview program was for. If it was to get feedback from XBL users about the new dash and features, will they actually take any of the criticism to make improvements?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I actually liked the party feature for Netflix and IMO it's the only thing that justified people needing the XBL Gold pass to use Netflix. If the party feature is gone, I don't see the point of requiring a Gold pass to have access to Netflix. I wouldn't buy a Xbox just for the Netflix party feature (like the person you're speaking of on the Netflix board), but I can understand some people liking the feature enough to pick it up.

The 'Recently Watched' movies are still there. The interface is just too busy now, too much scrolling through stuff. How about using the categories from the old Netflix and keeping some of the visuals from the newer version? I don't understand what the dash preview program was for. If it was to get feedback from XBL users about the new dash and features, will they actually take any of the criticism to make improvements?

Its not that I don't agree that its lame of Netflix/MS to be cutting features. I just thought the comment about buying a Xbox as a dedicated Netflix player sounded far fetched (obviously its not an impossibility). Hence my use of the word silly versus calling them dumb.

"Recently Watched" isn't always there. It seems like the queues that show up aren't consistent sometimes. I've never actually recalled any differences between the dash previews and the final products. It seems like the beta dashes are more like release candidates than betas. More or less to catch any show stopping bugs than to actually get user feedback.

Jadedx

Banned
They removed restart, episode lists, and display mode.

I really hate it, I need all of those things, especially display mode. I HATE 4:3 on a 16:9 TV.

def sim

There really is no restart option? What the hell, are they still beta testing this new UI? I gave up on the 360 app on the inaccurate black level bug alone but it looks like everything about this update is jacked up.

unomas

Banned
Got prompted with a Netflix app update this morning. Anyone pick out anything different?

Just downloaded it myself, not sure what it did, but this app has definitely gone backwards in it's functionality. I hate how it automatically started the first episode in the series, we regularly watch a show and want to watch the next one without having to remember exactly what episode we're on. It would be nice if it just didn't start anything like it did before, and it would also be nice if you could see your progress percentage wise on movies and shows again. The new layout is something I can deal with otherwise, but it would be nice if boxarts were bigger like they were in the past.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just downloaded it myself, not sure what it did, but this app has definitely gone backwards in it's functionality. I hate how it automatically started the first episode in the series, we regularly watch a show and want to watch the next one without having to remember exactly what episode we're on. It would be nice if it just didn't start anything like it did before, and it would also be nice if you could see your progress percentage wise on movies and shows again. The new layout is something I can deal with otherwise, but it would be nice if boxarts were bigger like they were in the past.

Hmm...for me it always just continues at the last episode I left off at. Or did you mean today's update broke this?

sangreal

Hmm...for me it always just continues at the last episode I left off at. Or did you mean today's update broke this?

No, it still starts where you left off after the update.

Also, it does show your progress on movies and shows, just not in numerical form (same as the website).

Dunlop

Because I am testing out the dash, I was starting to be ok with the Netflix app, until I loaded up my PS3 version last night

I hate it more than ever now
KuGsj.gif

unomas

Banned

It didn't do that for us, the gf was pretty pissed about it, but if it's working for everyone else I'll have to just go back in and see what it does today.

Netflix can't seem to get anything right anymore. They went with the worst of the 4 beta formats on PS3, and now this on 360.

It's like trying to watch videos using the Skyrim UI.

Because I usually exercise while watching Netflix, I pause and switch back and forth between inputs to watch live TV when I can't fully concentrate on what I'm watching (currently Breaking Bad). This used to be fine. Now every time I switch back to Netflix the screen is black and I get kicked out to the main app upon pressing a button.

I'll have to experiment to see whether this is due to how long I'm paused or simply switching inputs, but... WHY?!

This whole situation reminds me of the Time Warner Cable onscreen guide. 10 years ago it worked fast and perfectly. Now every time they iterate it gets slower and slower to the point where the lag can make it infuriating to simply enter a channel number.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Because I usually exercise while watching Netflix, I pause and switch back and forth between inputs to watch live TV when I can't fully concentrate on what I'm watching (currently Breaking Bad). This used to be fine. Now every time I switch back to Netflix the screen is black and I get kicked out to the main app upon pressing a button.

I'll have to experiment to see whether this is due to how long I'm paused or simply switching inputs, but... WHY?!

This whole situation reminds me of the Time Warner Cable onscreen guide. 10 years ago it worked fast and perfectly. Now every time they iterate it gets slower and slower to the point where the lag can make it infuriating to simply enter a channel number.
If you use HDMI, I'm guessing it probably has to do with the increased copy protection added with the dashboard update.

GloveSlap

Yeah, it is terrible. I could get over anything looks wise, but the usability of it just sucks so bad now. Whoever came up with the format must have never used Netflix before in their life.

blackflag

Lol fuck. Just tried to use this and rewatch iron man 2, which my 4 year old watches every few days. Had to rewind to the beginning...quality used to always be HD but it was a really shitty non HD 2 bars.

Going to try it on the PS3 since I've never used Netflix on it. If that sucks, I'll just cancel. I barely ever use it. Only have it because of the kids shows.

Was kind of looking forward to watching supernatural though

HeySeuss

I don't understand how they could actively try to make it a better experience and fuck up literally everything about it by making it worse in nearly every regard.

Automatically plays the next episode without letting me pick which one I want to watch? No restart from the beginning? Make the interface worse? Remove party viewing? And why can I not search for movies by actor?

It's like they went out of their way to drive customers away by frustration.

I didnt like most of the changes at first but I have gotton use to them now and dont mind them. Biggest thing tho is No restart from the beginning option. That's just fucking stupid. and I will not get use to not having that.

Also, it's stupid to have subtitle option but then have anime on here that doesn't even offer it, just the dub. wtf?

sangreal

I don't understand how they could actively try to make it a better experience and fuck up literally everything about it by making it worse in nearly every regard.

Automatically plays the next episode without letting me pick which one I want to watch?

I don't get why everyone is so upset about this, but to each their own. It's not like you can't pick the episode you want to watch, it just plays a video in the background instead of the old static background.

No restart from the beginning?

This is incredibly stupid

And why can I not search for movies by actor?

I don't know, but you couldn't with the previous interface either.

Also, it's stupid to have subtitle option but then have anime on here that doesn't even offer it, just the dub. wtf?

Don't be so myopic, they didn't add the option for you to watch anime in Japanese. In fact, that would be pointless since Netflix has hardcoded subtitles on all non-English titles. The option is for the hearing impaired and others who need subtitles on english language titles.

Top Bottom