• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Netflix on Xbox is Fucking Awful

Is it worse than the new dashboard?

Yes it's worse than the new dashboard. I think the new dashboard is annoying but ultimately I can get to where I ned without much hassle (the guide button brings up the blades which has most of what I need.) Netflix on the other hand, looks terrible, while you leave a movie selected for more than a second it pops out with a random frame from the movie (potentially a spoiler), and when you select a movie or TV show it just starts it instead of bringing up the episode list, not only that, while the movie/TV show loads it again shows a random frame and a synopsis (which can contain spoilers especially if it's a show.) Also sometimes it forgets where I am in a TV series so the episode that it starts up isn't even the right one, its one I've already seen.

It's horrendous and there's no reason for any of it.

I used to slightly prefer the old 360 Netflix to PS3 Netflix but now it's not even a contest.

Dragon

Banned
I don't see how anyone with an HDTV would watch a 480p stream over a 720p because of some interface problem they can't even articulate.

Seems pretty myopic.

Struct09

Between the bad interface and washed-out colors I'll be using Netflix on my PS3 for the time being. I'll miss the Kinect voice controls, and really hope they resolve the problems on the 360 version.

I don't see how anyone with an HDTV would watch a 480p stream over a 720p because of some interface problem they can't even articulate.

Even putting that aside, I can't imagine what interface "problem" with PS3 could possibly be worse than the like three minute startup process of the Wii app.

Josh7289

Even putting that aside, I can't imagine what interface "problem" with PS3 could possibly be worse than the like three minute startup process of the Wii app.

On Netflix on my PS3, if I try to search for a title and get no results, then press right on the d-pad to try to enter the search results list (even though it is of course empty because there were no results), I can't get back out to the keypad to change my search term. I have to restart the app.

That's the only problem I have.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think the new iPad netflix interface is pretty awful too. As far as I know, this new terrible interface is, in some capacity, going to be the de facto netflix streaming interface across the board.

Gorki247

Netflix does but needs to follow MS standards. Kinda like how many regular iOS apps have the same buttons and stuff, they need to follow Apples design guides and practices.

Is that's why their app looks completely different from the other Metro styled apps released recently?

I dunno. I think it's fine. I just wish there was a queue list you could put movies in, rather than having to watch movies I'm not particularly looking for.

On Netflix on my PS3, if I try to search for a title and get no results, then press right on the d-pad to try to enter the search results list (even though it is of course empty because there were no results), I can't get back out to the keypad to change my search term. I have to restart the app.

That's the only problem I have.
That's weird. I've never had that issue. Maybe re-install netflix on your PS3?

Raoh

I've seen three different netflix interfaces at the same time on three different ps3's. One 60g, one 80gb non bc model, one 120gb model. My 120gb had the best of the three, got rid of my 60gb and my brother sold his 80gb and then netflix updated and ruined the good interface on my 120gb.

I hate you netflix.

Netflix does but needs to follow MS standards. Kinda like how many regular iOS apps have the same buttons and stuff, they need to follow Apples design guides and practices.

That's not true at all. A lot of iOS apps look the same because they're using the libraries that Apple provides as part of the SDK. There is a lot of interface functionality (animations, memory management, behavior, etc...) that Apple gives you for free in the SDK. If those libraries don't meet the needs of your app, you can do whatever you want with the interface. Apple has a human interface guidelines document, but it is suggestions - not rules. Apple themselves don't even follow their own HIG anymore.

gcubed

Why does the video look like shit? Its so washed out compared to my ps3 and tivo

Edit.. nm i see other people even on this page complaining. Sorry... embarassing MS.

Why does the video look like shit? Its so washed out compared to my ps3 and tivo

Edit.. nm i see other people even on this page complaining. Sorry... embarassing MS.

i just started rewatching firefly, first thing ive watched since the horrible update, and yeah its very washed out, also despite having a 50 meg connection (and always maxing out the available quality before) im only getting 2 bars

i may actually have to install netflix on my ps3 after all

Foxix Von

i just started rewatching firefly, first thing ive watched since the horrible update, and yeah its very washed out, also despite having a 50 meg connection (and always maxing out the available quality before) im only getting 2 bars

i may actually have to install netflix on my ps3 after all

You more than likely won't regret it. The PS3 app is fantastic.

Just want to pop in and say that since the live update I have not used Netflix or Zune movies since shit looks so washed out.

glad I have a PS3 also but damn.. what gives?

senador

Banned
Grr, seriously fuck this autoplay shit. Its so infuriating!

You start navigating, it starts playing, menu disappears. You struggle with it and end up back in the menus, then you have to start all over again. This shit only works if you play a series straight through, and even then its far less than ideal. I hope to hell they fix it soon. Why do they keep changing it so much anyway?

Edit: It also doesn't help when Season 4 Episode 12 of Battlestar is in the wrong order and you are trying to figure it out and it auto plays and reveals parts of the story you weren't to yet. FUHHHHH

Opiate

Why is no one using the PC Netflix interface? It has the best UI with the best connection. It isn't even being discussed in here. I assume I'm missing something.

Futureman

Autoplay isn't a terrible idea, it's just that the whole app is pretty laggy/slow so it makes the autoplay complete hell at times.

I think Netflix wants you to think of their content as channels... as in, "Hey, turn on the Office channel!" and it starts playing from the last episode you watched, or you can "tune" that channel to whatever episdoe you want after you go to it.

It's cool for movies as they basically start instantly, and you don't notice the terrible image quality at first as it's just the studio bumpers at the beginning of the film.

Why is no one using the PC Netflix interface? It has the best UI with the best connection. It isn't even being discussed in here. I assume I'm missing something.

I think most people would prefer to watch on their TV.

Opiate

I think most people would prefer to watch on their TV.

Ah, I see. Not eveyrone has their PC hooked up to their TV. It just hadn't occured to me, I've had it connected for so long. Sorry for the confusion.

In any case, that is the superior option.

I haven't had too many problems with the new Netflix and I can see the episode list, so I'm not sure why other people were having that problem. I know that my sister was saying hers is really buggy frequently disconnecting and generally slow. I am finding that the after the system update everything is slower and take a lot longer to load, I have an Xbox fat so I'm not sure if maybe that's what it is? I'll stick with the PS3 Netflix works a lot better and much faster and I can find things easier.

Ever since the new Netflix app was released, I can no longer see what other people on my friend's list are watching. It just says "watching a movie". Also, even though I have my settings set to allow others to see what I'm watching, my friends say it no longer says what I am watching either.
So is this a problem with the new Netflix app or just happening to me?

KageMaru

Who makes the new interface, xbox team or Netflix?

Netflix made this new app.

Has anyone at either Netflix or Microsoft even acknowledged there's a problem that needs to be fixed?

If you're talking about the shit app, someone who works at MS said this over at B3D:

Netflix has gotten this feedback, but they are very passionate about the "immediately play before episode choice" feature. Apparently it replicates the behaviour of the website.

If you're talking about the horrible gamma issue, MS finally acknowledged recently IIRC.

kaskade

Is it just me or is the brightness/contrast off? I tried netflix on my PS3 and the picture looks way better. Both using HDMI and same settings.

Edit: I didn't see the above post before, so it is a gamma issue. I kind of like the PS3 app more now anyway.

soo I downloaded and used the PS3 app, it's ok, but still heavily prefer the old 360 UI, but it's at least usable, unlike the new 360 one

soo I downloaded and used the PS3 app, it's ok, but still heavily prefer the old 360 UI, but it's at least usable, unlike the new 360 one
Yeah I agree. For me it goes:

OG Xbox app > PS3 app >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> New Xbox app

It's kind of a pain switching between my 360 and my PS3 (even with my Logitech Harmony remote, just waiting for things to shut down and start up). But it's still totally worth it.

Everytime I see this thread popup, my heart skips a beat and I think that they actually patched the Netflix app to what it was.

WTF!!! FUCKING FIX YOUR SHIT NETFLIX!

Seriously, it's so garbage. At the very least get rid of the low res still image bullshit.

Menelaus

Banned
Called them to complain, and at first the rep acted like he hadn't heard of my issues before. By the end of the call, he was all "yeah, man, i know, we get these calls all day long".

ElNino

Everytime I see this thread popup, my heart skips a beat and I think that they actually patched the Netflix app to what it was.

WTF!!! FUCKING FIX YOUR SHIT NETFLIX!
Seriously, it's so garbage. At the very least get rid of the low res still image bullshit.
It appears they already have "fixed" the app to work the way they want it to. I imagine the PS3 version is going to end up the same way sooner rather than later.

cevansdust

Neo Member
lol, while I agree that the new app is pretty awful compared to the old version, some people are being rather dramatic. Calling it "unusable." It's completely useable to watch and browse. It's just not very convient. .

minx

Not sure if I have my receiver (Onkyo 608) or 360 set up wrong but I thought 5.1 was supported now? The only options I can switch to are PLII or Neo6. Maybe it's just the programs I'm choosing to watch.

Not sure if I have my receiver (Onkyo 608) or 360 set up wrong but I thought 5.1 was supported now? The only options I can switch to are PLII or Neo6. Maybe it's just the programs I'm choosing to watch.
Yeah it's dependent on what you're watching. Some programs are 5.1 and some aren't.

anyone know what to do when the option to add captions disappears? it used to be there a week agao now show that i 100% know have captions suddenly dont. WTF?

Called them to complain, and at first the rep acted like he hadn't heard of my issues before. By the end of the call, he was all "yeah, man, i know, we get these calls all day long".
Yeah I recommend if it bothers you to call their customer support number and bitch:

1-888-811-1933

Eventually they'll have to make a change, I imagine.

Dartastic

New app also isn't correctly keeping track of what episodes I have or have not watched. Fucking infuriating for shows like No Reservations.

Top Bottom