• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Netflix on Xbox is Fucking Awful

Dunlop

Is it normal that voice commands do not work?

Mine have not worked in Netflix for weeks now, but they do in every other app.

I don't care enough to reinstall netflix...just wondering ; )

watership

Is it normal that voice commands do not work?

Mine have not worked in Netflix for weeks now, but they do in every other app.

I don't care enough to reinstall netflix...just wondering ; )

The netflix app craps out on voice now. You need to re install it. Be warned though, it will just stop working sometime in the future. Since this is Netflix's own app, I wonder if MS can pressure them to fix it.

I don't have a problem outside of that really. The app is fast to start videos, things go to HD now without pausing the stream, and it streams up to HD really fast.

Those improvements far outweigh the UI changes. Frankly i got used to them in a few days.

Bulk_Rate

How can the black level problem still not be fixed on the 360 Netflix app? What the hell is going on? All of our other complaints about the app notwithstanding, this should have been a quick fix!

epmode

How can the black level problem still not be fixed on the 360 Netflix app? What the hell is going on? All of our other complaints about the app notwithstanding, this should have been a quick fix!
It's a problem in the new HBO Go app too. Insane.

For some reasons the movie "Shinjuku Incident" was even more washed out, even when I set the black level at the correct levels.
I had to turn down the brightness to single digits to get the movie looking partially viewable.

I hate going back to gaming & resetting all of my TV adjustments. Been using my PS3 a lot more lately because of this.

Bulk_Rate

Well, I don't have that problem since Time Warner Cable wont allow me to watch HBO go on my 360. Between that and the Netflix debacle our 360 went from being my family's primary media portal device to gathering dust. Guess we are not among the folks who reportedly now use their 360 for media more than gaming.

In all seriousness, it is the lack of communication on the part of MS or Netflix that irks me most. I just called Netflix and while the Customer Care representative was nice, and listened, in the end she had nothing to offer.

I will shut up now until something changes for the better.

The Netflix app on the 360 is absolutely the worst. The only, and I mean ONLY plus to using this instead of my PS3 (which I sold a few days ago - just wasn't using it except for Netflix and Hulu) is that I can just say "Xbox Pause" when I get up to go do something.

It's so terrible. I don't like how they changed the web app either though.

Reallink

Same applies to Media Center Extender as well--Standard is washed out, Extended is crushed. The 360 have been a cluster fuck of video standards since day one (see also its ridiculously high gamma).

BigDug13

I personally think the quality should be selectable by the user. I have 80mb up and 80mb down. But since my latency is slow, Netflix keeps defaulting to 2 bars even though I have more than enough throughout for full quality.

Dan Yo

Banned
This needs a complete overhaul. Bring back party watch while you're at it. Such a stupid, needless change of things.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Loss of party watch meant I had no reason to use Netflix on the 360. It's more convenient to use the Netflix built into my TV. I'll have the hassle of trying to sync up my video with my girlfriend's regardless of platform, so why go to the extra effort of turning on the 360 and waiting for it to download updates and shit?

On a side note, I love my 42" wifi 1080p 3D Vizio with built-in apps ^_^

Mzo

The new Ui is terrible 100% because they wanted to make it Kinect friendly. That's why it skips as many options as possible and gets right to playing the first thing you look at, so you don't have to slowly drag the hand icon over shit and hover for five minutes to make a selection. It's really, really bad.

Until you can make it like Minority Report gtfo. Let me pinch or push or something to make a selection, hovering is garbage. MS clinging to Kinect is really undoing all the good will they'd built up this gen, everything to do with it is just clunky and slow. Decent idea but the tech can't back it up yet.

Now all they have to do is fix how it autoplays TV shows at a lower quality to start (and sometimes the wrong episode!).. and how it fucking shows me a spoiler of what I'm about to watch.
I'm not holding my breath on them fixing this crap though since they see these terrible flaws as awesome "features".

http://majornelson.com/2012/04/09/netflix-update-now-available-on-xbox-live/

Netflix Update now available on Xbox LIVE

Good news for Xbox LIVE Gold members and Netflix subscribers. Next time you access the app through Xbox LIVE, you’ll enjoy the following new features:

* Skip Forward/Skip Back allows you to move through movies quickly and between TV episodes easily. And with Kinect, just use your voice or the wave of your hand to activate this function.
* Zoom function lets you enlarge letterboxed video content to full screen.
* Better color contrast makes content more vivid and black levels darker.
* Single sign on with cloud profile makes it easier to access your Netflix account on another Xbox, wherever you are.

Also, for all members in Canada, Latin America, the UK and Ireland, you can now share TV shows and movies and discover what your friends are watching and rating too. Just connect your Netflix account to Facebook and you’re set.

Don’t have Netflix? You can easily download the application from Xbox LIVE Marketplace on your console today to begin enjoying movies and TV shows instantly.

Elginer

Good news for Xbox LIVE Gold members and Netflix subscribers. Next time you access the app through Xbox LIVE, you’ll enjoy the following new features:

* Skip Forward/Skip Back allows you to move through movies quickly and between TV episodes easily. And with Kinect, just use your voice or the wave of your hand to activate this function.
* Single sign on with cloud profile makes it easier to access your Netflix account on another Xbox, wherever you are.

Also, for all members in Canada, Latin America, the UK and Ireland, you can now share TV shows and movies and discover what your friends are watching and rating too. Just connect your Netflix account to Facebook and you’re set.

Don’t have Netflix? You can easily download the application from Xbox LIVE Marketplace on your console today to begin enjoying movies and TV shows instantly.

Bout fucking time.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

Fuck this shit. Bring back the old way of letting me choose the episode I want before I hit play. Motion controls is like using Siri on iPhone. It was a nice gimick, but who really uses it? At least Siri is good to have when driving.

Fuck this shit. Bring back the old way of letting me choose the episode I want before I hit play. Motion controls is like using Siri on iPhone. It was a nice gimick, but who really uses it? At least Siri is good to have when driving.
Sticking to the PS3 version then.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I would gladly pay more for Netflix if I was guarnateed a real HD picture 100% of the time. I almost never get HD despite a great connection.

Kyon

Banned

this is what makes my infuriated with this app

I don't mind an autoplay feature, but it shouldn't be the ONLY WAY TO GET TO THE EPISODE LIST! how is this not fixed yet?

anyway, gotta get in 10 hours for that 300 points...

jagowar

will see how it works in person but don't think this will fix the fundamental problem the new netflix interface has in selecting movies/tv shows.

I've been actually trying to clear out my netflix queue so I can drop it and move over to hbogo since it has a more balanced selection (newer movies especially) and their ui is far better than netflix.

LiK

so they fixed everything except for the interface. i'll stick with PS3 and Roku.

so they fixed everything except for the interface. i'll stick with PS3 and Roku.

Yep. New interface is so fucking terrible. Just go back to how it was, and everything will be better. Pretend like it's a brand new thing, I'll play along and gladly thank you for it Microsoft.

Yeah, I feel the interface really was the biggest problem. Disappointing that it's probably not going to be fixed.

I feel like Microsoft has a thing for making bad designs. So many dashbord revisions, so many bad designs. My favorite was the one before last.

This last one... just I don't like it. The "Game Tray" square is tiny and completely dwarfed by all the ads around it.

I feel like Microsoft has a thing for making bad designs. So many dashbord revisions, so many bad designs. My favorite was the one before last.

This last one... just I don't like it. The "Game Tray" square is tiny and completely dwarfed by all the ads around it.

The older, and much more functional, dashboards simply didn't have enough real estate to turn your TV into an interactive billboard.

unomas

Banned
this is what makes my infuriated with this app

Agreed, are you deaf Microsoft? Seriously, it's so annoying that everything just plays right away, my girlfriend and I could be watching the same show but one of us is 5 episodes ahead of the other and it will play whatever is next instead of letting us choose. It was soooooo nice to be able to see which episodes were fully played when you went to select what you were watching.

How can you screw up an app, get tons of complaints, patch it, and not fix that one simple thing that makes the experience so much better? Way to piss of the customers Microsoft. We're paying for Live on top of this and that is what pisses me off, especially when the app was better before you updated it! Why should I pay for Live and get an inferior app because of Kinect?

The older, and much more functional, dashboards simply didn't have enough real estate to turn your TV into an interactive billboard.

At this point, I don't give a shit if they have ads. It' a form of revenue, but I still expect one's console to be functional, as you point out. My friend hates pulling up netflix on his Xbox now because of the shitty UI. Sure it LOOKS nice, but it doesn't work worth ass.

blackflag

I just totally gave up on Netflix through Xbox. It used to be great. Switched to using it on my PS3 and it is so much better.

At this point, I don't give a shit if they have ads. It' a form of revenue, but I still expect one's console to be functional, as you point out. My friend hates pulling up netflix on his Xbox now because of the shitty UI. Sure it LOOKS nice, but it doesn't work worth ass.

Agreed. It's amazing how absolutely awful the Netflix app is, while The HBO Go app is fantastic!

Agreed. It's amazing how absolutely awful the Netflix app is, while The HBO Go app is fantastic!

The thing I love about MS over Sony is that they make great software, but sometimes I feel like they try to shoe horn their own ideas into 3rd party designs, which causes some nasty things to happen... Kinect integration is an obvious thing here. If they stopped trying so hard to force new things, I think they'd have designs and UIs that people like.

The thing I love about MS over Sony is that they make great software, but sometimes I feel like they try to shoe horn their own ideas into 3rd party designs, which causes some nasty things to happen... Kinect integration is an obvious thing here. If they stopped trying so hard to force new things, I think they'd have designs and UIs that people like.
According to the Netflix customer service rep I talked to over the weekend on another matter, MS actually designed the 360 Netflix app. Netflix had very little to do with it. If that's true MS deserves all the blame.

She said Netflix actually designed the PS3 app, not Sony.

According to the Netflix customer service rep I talked to over the weekend on another matter, MS actually designed the 360 Netflix app. Netflix had very little to do with it. If that's true MS deserves all the blame.

My understanding is that it was the other way around, with Netflix wanting to apply this UI decision across all devices.

She said Netflix actually designed the PS3 app, not Sony.

*shakes fist at MS*

My understanding is that it was the other way around, with Netflix wanting to apply this UI decision across all devices.

The PS3, Vita, and PC Netflix apps look practically the same...

But the PS3 app doesn't have autoplay, I don't think the iOS or web versions do either. I could be wrong though.

You are correct, but I seem to remember reading that they were planning on rolling out the 360 UI to all devices, as that was their "vision" for Netflix going forward. I'll try and dig up that article once I get out of the office.

You are correct, but I seem to remember reading that they were planning on rolling out the 360 UI to all devices, as that was their "vision" for Netflix going forward. I'll try and dig up that article once I get out of the office.

I sure as F hope not, it's a disaster. I used to use Netflix on 360 because it was convenient, but I've switched to the PS3 app.

Also, it wont even tell you if a movie is only available via mail anymore. If the movie isnt available for streaming on xbl, it dont even exist according to Netflix.

I freakin hate how Zune has all the good shit while Netflix has the left overs.

Top Bottom