• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Netflix on Xbox is Fucking Awful

Don't be so myopic, they didn't add the option for you to watch anime in Japanese. In fact, that would be pointless since Netflix has hardcoded subtitles on all non-English titles. The option is for the hearing impaired and others who need subtitles on english language titles.

They have a shitload of anime and a whole category dedicated to it, why not have a subtitled/Japanese dub option for most of them? The ability is there obviously...just make it happen.

Amagon

Just wanted to say I always use Netflix on the 360 but ever since the update, I've been using the PS3 version. Fix your shit Netflix!

watership

I've gotten used to the new interface now. I only want a restart button and the return of the skip button. In every other way the client is better than the previous.

ElNino

This entire new update is calling in question my continued devotion to the 360. It really annoys me every time I turn it on.
I don't think the Netflix app has any real connection to the dashboard update. I noticed yesterday when my son was using Netflix on his laptop that the web interface has adopted the same approach of automatically starting the video rather than giving an episode list first. I imagine this is a Netflix thing that will soon be part of all of their apps.

Meier

It really is fucking awful. One other thing I noticed that annoyed the shit out of me is that if you hit start, A no longer resumes the movie even though it shows the little "click" animation on screen. You have to hit start again.

KageMaru

I don't think the Netflix app has any real connection to the dashboard update. I noticed yesterday when my son was using Netflix on his laptop that the web interface has adopted the same approach of automatically starting the video rather than giving an episode list first. I imagine this is a Netflix thing that will soon be part of all of their apps.

Yup, this new app is all Netflix and has nothing to do with MS. This horrible app pushed me to fix the PS3 app, which bugged out months ago. I'm sure Netflix doesn't care which app I use as long as I pay for their service, but I have to hope they never botch up the PS3 app this badly.

Just wanted to say I always use Netflix on the 360 but ever since the update, I've been using the PS3 version. Fix your shit Netflix!

Same here. I thought GAF might be exaggerating about this update, but the usability is a step back in every way. I've also noticed the video quality is absolutely horrid. I have yet to see the color black on 360 Netflix, only varying shades of gray. I'm not having the same problems in the PS3.

I was watching Louie CK last night and it was going from SD to HD randomly, really jarring. I actually liked it better in the old version when it would tell you and go to a black screen momentarily while it buffered.

Didn't start playing the first episode for me last night and I had no problem finding the episode list.

I think you kids need to stop mashing the A button so much and calm down.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The restart option is also gone from the web player. I guess its just less noticeable because you can easily drag using your mouse when choosing where you want to start the video.

Same here. I thought GAF might be exaggerating about this update, but the usability is a step back in every way. I've also noticed the video quality is absolutely horrid. I have yet to see the color black on 360 Netflix, only varying shades of gray. I'm not having the same problems in the PS3.

This isn't on Netflix. Its an issue with the the new dash and how its setting black levels for video playback. See thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455102

I'm in the preview program and I got a 7mb update last night and I use Netflix daily. Any word if there were any noticeable changes?

I agree, the new Netflix is clunky as shit on the 360, with a slow load on pictures and a noticeable lag on inputs. I also hate how it jumps to playing when I select a title.

This isn't a "it changed and I dont like it" thing. It is just flat out not as responsive.

MercuryLS

Banned
Man, what was the reason to change the app? The old one was perfect :(

I guess I will use the PS3 one which is serviceable (but also needs a redesign).

MrPliskin

Banned
Man, what was the reason to change the app? The old one was perfect :(

I guess I will use the PS3 one which is serviceable (but also needs a redesign).

The old one really wasn't that great either. The PS3 version has always been vastly superior in both speed and functionality, IMO.

MercuryLS

Banned
The old one really wasn't that great either. The PS3 version has always been vastly superior in both speed and functionality, IMO.

I preferred the big cover art to the tiny ones on PS3. Also I like quickly browsing titles with the bumpers, not sure why you can't do that on PS3, you have to manually scroll through.

Futureman

I agree, the new Netflix is clunky as shit on the 360, with a slow load on pictures and a noticeable lag on inputs.

pretty much my only issues. It feels clunky and slow at times. I can deal with the sub-SD quality when the stream starts (it has always corrected itself by 30 seconds in for me) and the TV episodes thing is only annoying because of the aforementioned clunky/slow issue.

MrPliskin

Banned
I preferred the big cover art to the tiny ones on PS3. Also I like quickly browsing titles with the bumpers, not sure why you can't do that on PS3, you have to manually scroll through.

I think the trade off of big cover art to a 'useful' search engine just puts the PS3 far above for me. I hate trying to search anything on the 360 interface, or browsing TV shows. The PS3 version has always felt like it's just "speedier". The day I got Netflix on my PS3 and saw the difference in functionality was the day I stopped using it on my 360. Just feels archaic in comparison.

I am trying to watch some 4:3 Television programs and I cannot seem to stretch to full-screen anymore. What gives? This new metro look is crap. Why does everything have to cater to the masses??? Gah... :|

They removed that too. LOL
You have got to be kidding me? Did a 3 year old oversee the development of this overhaul? Jesus, this update is like they want us to play with a fischer price toy. I mean the last Netflix UI was not amazing, but it was fully functional from what I needed.

My god microsoft, please fire the three year olds and apes and bring in some actual humans... :|

I HATE THE NEW NETFLIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAARRGHGHGHGHGH!!!

Seriously, if I want to watch a random episode of a series it takes more time. The video quality is absolute shit for the first 30-60 seconds. Fast forwarding and rewinding is a bitch.Its slow.

I know I'm being a little bitch, but still. Its such a downgrade.

Really hate the way when you select a TV show it auto starts it but not before showing you a random frame from the show and flashing the synopsis up on screen. Thanks for the spoilers, assholes.

So are we going to get any kind of fix? Or does netflix just plan to ignore everyone until we eventually just accept it? Really tempted to just up prime and use the amazon video streaming.

my netflix app doesn't even /have/ instant queue

(I am lolbritish)

No, I am as well but I've switched it to US on both my PC and Xbox and then used the chrome extension to build an instant queue and it showed up on my Xbox just fine. Then it vanished? Wondering if this is normal behaviour or a quirk of the setup I have.

I've gotten used to the new interface now. I only want a restart button and the return of the skip button. In every other way the client is better than the previous.
Yeah, I love how it just starts shows when you click on a television series instead of waiting until you select that episode that you want... :/

VillageBC

Wow, I've hated the Netflix UI on PS3 but it sounds like 360 it's even worse. If it wasn't for the fact there is really no alternative to what it offers. I would have cancelled the subscription a while ago.

I vote for a campaign of shipping bags of peanuts to Netflix headquarters in protest of terrible UI designs.

Mastperf

No, I am as well but I've switched it to US on both my PC and Xbox and then used the chrome extension to build an instant queue and it showed up on my Xbox just fine. Then it vanished? Wondering if this is normal behaviour or a quirk of the setup I have.
That's a normal Netflix bug that happens on my PS3, 360 and Roku. I also have titles stuck in their numbered position in the queue and won't allow anything to be added behind them. I'm forced to scoll from the back foward to find newly added titles.

I called Netflix to complain. The guy I talked to agreed 100% and even shared a few of his own complaints. Hopefully enough people will call in (or email) and complain and the next update will be better. In the meantime I'm using my PS3.

It's pretty sad that I had to resort to Netflix on my goddamn WII because of how awful Netflix is for 360 now, and how awful its ALWAYS been on PS3.

Dunlop

Went back to my ps3 version a while ago, but I noticed that when my kids used the 360 version the voice commands no longer work. It does not activate voice mode at all. I tried other apps just to rule out it being an issue with my kinect

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It's pretty sad that I had to resort to Netflix on my goddamn WII because of how awful Netflix is for 360 now, and how awful its ALWAYS been on PS3.

Netflix on the PS3 is pretty much the best version, what are you crying about?

Dartastic

I called Netflix to complain. The guy I talked to agreed 100% and even shared a few of his own complaints. Hopefully enough people will call in (or email) and complain and the next update will be better. In the meantime I'm using my PS3.

My ex works in that call center, and she told me they definitely know that people hate the new interface. So uh, yeah. That's definitely something.

Top Bottom