• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Netflix on Xbox is Fucking Awful

watership

Agreed, are you deaf Microsoft? Seriously, it's so annoying that everything just plays right away, my girlfriend and I could be watching the same show but one of us is 5 episodes ahead of the other and it will play whatever is next instead of letting us choose. It was soooooo nice to be able to see which episodes were fully played when you went to select what you were watching.

How can you screw up an app, get tons of complaints, patch it, and not fix that one simple thing that makes the experience so much better? Way to piss of the customers Microsoft. We're paying for Live on top of this and that is what pisses me off, especially when the app was better before you updated it! Why should I pay for Live and get an inferior app because of Kinect?

It needs to be said that Netflix makes this app, not Microsoft. I know there is info to the contrary, but MS reps have said before it was Netflix. The App's functionality is actually better. Do you not remember how every resolution change needed a restart of the stream? The more features that are available now? The auto start when you click is an annoyance, but I just quickly change the stream to the ep I want. It's not a big deal in practice.

epmode

while The HBO Go app is fantastic!
Only if you like manually queuing individual episodes in a series instead of being able to switch between them like Netflix. And the stream quality is kind of shit compared to Netflix (even though it's a lot better than the garbage PC stream).

LQX

I'm trying NetFlix this month on 360 for the first time and I don't really see the problem. Maybe its because I did not use the previous incarnation. Its pretty simple to use and I just queue my favorites and watch list on the PC beforehand.

So no fix to autoplay? Worthless update is worthless.
Yep that was the worst part by far. I can handle ugly UI but I can't handle being shown spoilers in image and text while a TV show loads, its even worse when Netflix forgets you've watched an episode and loads up the last one again and there's nothing you can do about it.

I'm just happy I also have a PS3, I feel bad for people with no other options.

Mengetsu

I'm trying NetFlix this month on 360 for the first time and I don't really see the problem. Maybe its because I did not use the previous incarnation. Its pretty simple to use and I just queue my favorites and watch list on the PC beforehand.

About 13min In.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA6Ca2MdFMU

Later on it got another update where the movie list was all flat for Kinect but, this was ten times better then the piece of crap we have now.
LLShC.gif

It needs to be said that Netflix makes this app, not Microsoft. I know there is info to the contrary, but MS reps have said before it was Netflix. The App's functionality is actually better. Do you not remember how every resolution change needed a restart of the stream? The more features that are available now? The auto start when you click is an annoyance, but I just quickly change the stream to the ep I want. It's not a big deal in practice.
yeah, except the PS3 version has all that, had most of it before the 360 update and also lets you choose an episode or just play the newest unseen one. i don't see how the points you're making are even relevant. none of the stuff you mentioned precludes an additional option to simply be able to select an episode in addition to instantly playing.

ElNino

Yep that was the worst part by far. I can handle ugly UI but I can't handle being shown spoilers in image and text while a TV show loads, its even worse when Netflix forgets you've watched an episode and loads up the last one again and there's nothing you can do about it.
I'm just happy I also have a PS3, I feel bad for people with no other options.
It's not like you're forced to watch the entire episode. Even if the stream starts, it still allows you to select the episode you want.

Wait, wat?

Netflix is a solution to piracy. Why would they get involved in this bullshit? If this is as bad as it seems after a quick glance, I'll unsubscribe.

This might deserve its own thread.
Less torrents/file sharing, more people driven to use Netflix?

If this is true and starts to be corroborated by other sources (i.e. sites I've actually heard of), I'm canceling and moving on to the next one I guess.

KageMaru

According to the Netflix customer service rep I talked to over the weekend on another matter, MS actually designed the 360 Netflix app. Netflix had very little to do with it. If that's true MS deserves all the blame.

She said Netflix actually designed the PS3 app, not Sony.

That service rep is a bit behind, MS designed the original app for the xbox, but the newest app that launched along with the new dashboard was developed by Netflix, just like the ps3 app.

This is the reason why some apps are crap while others are great (like HBOgo), they are designed or created by the individual companies.

So no fix to autoplay? Worthless update is worthless.

It's unlikely autoplay will be fixed since Netflix wants it that way:

Netflix has gotten this feedback, but they are very passionate about the "immediately play before episode choice" feature. Apparently it replicates the behaviour of the website.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1604682&postcount=75

That service rep is a bit behind, MS designed the original app for the xbox, but the newest app that launched along with the new dashboard was developed by Netflix, just like the ps3 app.

This is the reason why some apps are crap while others are great (like HBOgo), they are designed or created by the individual companies.
Oh OK thanks for the clarification.

And that sucks about Autoplay. I guess its only a matter of time before its on every device.

CyReN

I've dropped by Netflix Instant usage by at least 90% since the change, HBO Go has basically stopped me using them.

It's unlikely autoplay won't be fixed since Netflix wants it that way:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1604682&postcount=75

I'm guessing that they want it to seem more like television for the stupid people who are so accustomed to watching corporately chosen playlists (intercut with advertisements) that they don't like having to decide what to watch. I'm expecting that they'll eventually offer a "TV" mode that just plays things from your queue/recommendations in a random order non-stop. Also, sadly I'm expecting that they'll eventually implement ads.

Even if they think autoplay is necessary they could still offer customers the option to turn it off.

Anyway, Netflix says:

Netflix said:
PACs are commonplace for companies that lead a big, growing market and Netflix is no exception. Our PAC is a way for our employees to support candidates that understand our business and technology. It was not set up for the purpose of supporting SOPA or PIPA. Instead, Netflix has engaged on other issues including network neutrality, bandwidth caps, usage based billing and reforming the Video Privacy Protection Act.

RBH

Ouch. Netflix does what they shouldn't: http://rt.com/usa/news/netflix-sopa-pac-lobby-618/

I guess I'm cancelling my account :(

Update: Netflix has confirmed through its official Twitter account that the PAC was not set up to support SOPA/PIPA.

Okay, can we kill this story quickly? There's a ton of buzz going around claiming that Netflix has built up a Super PAC to promote a pro-SOPA agenda. As far as I can tell, this is simply not true. It started from a report in Politico, which mentioned (accurately) that Netflix had formed a PAC called FLIXPAC, and is getting much more aggressive in the lobbying/legislative front. This follows Netflix's trend of spending more and more on lobbying in the last few years: $20,000 in 2009, $130,000 in 2010 and $500,000 in 2011. Where it gets odd is that Politico tries to tie this to SOPA/PIPA by listing out those amounts and noting that the $500k in 2011 was spent "as legislative debates over the Stop Online Piracy Act, Protect IP Act and Video Privacy Protection Act raged."

In turn, the folks at RT played a game of bad reporter telephone and spun it into Netflix funding a pro-SOPA super PAC, "whose main goal is to promote SOPA-like legislation." I don't know what's up with the folks at RT. While their TV reporting can be quite good, their online reporting is abysmal at times. They clearly exaggerate stories or write from a position of ignorance.

The truth is that Netflix was basically neutral on SOPA, knowing that it had to balance its technology side and the fact that it is constantly negotiating with the big Hollywood studios on deals. Politically, it basically had to take a neutral position. But the company knows better than to out-and-out support really bad internet legislation. The company has been active on things like net neutrality and the Video Privacy Protection Act -- things that do have a direct impact on it. Sure, it would have been great if Netflix had been a strong anti-SOPA faction, the fact that it stayed neutral and is now ramping up its lobbying does not, in any way, mean that it's suddenly pushing for pro-SOPA legislation. The company appears to have a lot of other things on its legislative agenda.
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...etflix-has-not-formed-pro-sopa-superpac.shtml

Daigoro

and this app is still way better than Hulu on xbox. they broke the fuck out of that app with the update. i loved it before hand, had to cancel since they are dragging their feet with an update.

also, i dont get the outrage over auto play. i like it personally. its not like you cant choose another ep while it auto plays in the backround.

anyone having some audio issues after the latest update? seems like all the audio sits back further in the spectrum and is softer...maybe its just me

Fucking Netflix autoplay.

Netflix has two mid-Season 4 episodes of Battlestar Galactica out of order, and of course with autoplay I had already watched the entire recap before I realized what was going on. I was saying to myself, I don't remember any of this. That's because I hadn't seen it yet. Ruined the whole episode.

S4:E12 is listed twice, and the wrong one plays first.

Fuck off autoplay. What a worthless piece of shit.

I haven't used the 360 Netflix app since they updated it. Been using the PS3 one ever since. It's just more efficient and consistent for some reason.

Fucking Netflix autoplay.

Netflix has two mid-Season 4 episodes of Battlestar Galactica out of order, and of course with autoplay I had already watched the entire recap before I realized what was going on. I was saying to myself, I don't remember any of this. That's because I hadn't seen it yet. Ruined the whole episode.

S4:E12 is listed twice, and the wrong one plays first.

Fuck off autoplay. What a worthless piece of shit.
Yep. When the hell is Netflix going to get a clue people don't like auto play? At least give us the option of turning it off.

G17

Not only did they keep auto-play, but every movie/tv poster expands to a random screenshot when you stay on it long enough . I find myself moving my d-pad just so that doesn't happen.

unomas

Banned

I wish I could agree, but I just simply don't. I do remember the quality of the stream changing during programming which was very annoying, so yes that's an improvement, but autoplay is not an improvement. I want to select the episodes like I did before and so do most other people. If this app is in the hands of Netflix solely then they need to step up their game and listen to the customers, sometimes holding your ground for the sake of holding your ground is an awful move. Looks like most of the thread agrees with this point of view.

ElNino

Yep. When the hell is Netflix going to get a clue people don't like auto play? At least give us the option of turning it off.
It would be nice to have the option for sure. Even the website has it and my son (who is 5) doesn't like it. Everytime he goes to watch an episode of Sesame Street on his laptop he has to wait for autoplay to start before getting the episode selection option. It's funny to hear him complaining, "Daddy... why does Netflix keep playing the episode that I don't want to watch?".

DMeisterJ

Banned
It's crazy how the 360 app used to outclass the PS3 one by a huge margin, and now it's totally different. I really can not stand using this app, but I hate using it on my PS3 since it's so loud.

I love the new fastforward. Being unable to see what the hell i'm fast-forwarding to and guessing when I need to stop makes every show and movie feel like a price is right showcase game. How fun!

I used to use my Netflix app a lot on my 360 now with the shit new UI and with Hbogo kicking so much ass I hardly use it. I'm seriously thinking about killing my Netflix sub and going with Hulu plus.

Cth

They seem to have "fixed" the rewind issue as well.

CLIFF NOTES:
My daughter likes to watch different movies and will stop one and switch to a different one. Previously we'd have to wait for it to rewind the entire movie to watch it again.

I'm not sure if it's a change but when I hit the chapter rewind button twice it goes to the beginning.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
As soon as I found out the 360 app only spits out 720p content I switched over to the PS3 app forever. Plus it has a load more features and the UI is much smoother too.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
My 360 Netflix will not load i keep getting errors
I have cleared cache and uninstalled and re-installed the software.

any ideas?

Mzo

The 360 Netflix app is designed around Kinect. They know how clunky and stupid it is, but it allows Kinect users to get past the menus and into an episode as quickly as possible. Don't expect it to change unless they drop Kinect support.

I watch Netflix pretty much exclusively on my PS3 or iPad these days. Oh well.

ksdixon

... Fucking FaceBook Timeline losing my series of posts. Now I have to type all this out again...

Finally decided to join the netflix crowd yesterday, as more and more of my 360 friends seemed to be using it when they were online rather than gaming.

Can't seem to find a way to list the media in A-Z, either in each category or overall. There doesn't seem to be a vast collection of media in each category, though that may just be false negative due to there being so many categories to scroll through. Doing a search for 'Game Of Thrones', which the fiance likes, returned nothing. This was surprising given how popular that is supposed to be.

It was annoying having to play the first episode of a TV Show to click on 'more episodes' etc. And it autoplaying the first episode when I was trying to use the U.I, which slowed-down the overall usage of the U.I. and made it feel clunky.

ksdixon

Just tried the PS3 version of Netflix based on the feedback of this article....

I said WOW.

Now 'that' is what I expected Netflix to look like on 360. A much better layout.

Top Bottom