• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NFS Most Wanted on PSVita footage eases all my concerns

kerrak

Of course there are better looking, deeper content wise, with good controls and only 1$ games on iOS but i wont tell you which ones.

The problem is, you're corresponding aliasing to resolution. A game can be native resolution and still not have AA, thus have aliasing. You have no clue whether the game is native resolution. Now, it could end up being sub-native when all is said and done, but don't act like you know something when you don't.
I addressed that. I realise that a native game can have aliasing too. But if it was native, the aliasing would be much harder to see in a blurry video (much smaller steps, much closer together).

If you are familiar with the Vita's resolution, and familiar with the way in which aliasing becomes more obvious at lower resolution, you'd be able to take one glance at that footage and safely assume that it is below native. In the same way you don't need fraps running to give a rough estimate of framerate. I'm doing it by eye and I'm very confident about it.

elektrixx

Banned
I played the demo on Sunday. It looks good and the frame rate keeps up. Lighting from cars look a little blocky though.

gogogow

It's not a DD only game so, how can it be in cross-buy?

slycooper.jpg

39329915019020110144248865878641.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It's not a DD only game so, how can it be in cross-buy?

Uh there are retail games coming up with cross-buy (PSABR and Sly among others). You buy the PS3 version and the Vita code comes inside.

Seriously doubt EA is willing to jump on board though. Best case scenario is buy the PS3 version get the Vita version along with it for $20.

Massa

I didn't know.

Anyway, I really doubt EA would give away a game so easily.

The thing is, cross buy is not just "giving away" a game. It's making your product offer significant more value to the consumer for little to no cost.

- they lose any extra revenue from people who were going to buy both versions. This is not a significant number of people.
+ they gain extra revenue from PS3+Vita owners who were going to get the Vita game for $40 but instead are now buying the game for $60;
+ they gain sales from people who were swayed to buy NFS at launch in favor of other games in a crowded holiday season.

To cite one example we have Valve with their Cross Play on PC+Mac (and PS3 in the case of Portal 2). They're a successful company in large part because their decisions are made by gamers who understand this shit. EA has business people looking at spreadsheets and making wrong decisions all the time, so no Cross Buy for them.

The thing is, cross buy is not just "giving away" a game. It's making your product offer significant more value to the consumer for little to no cost.

- they lose any extra revenue from people who were going to buy both versions. This is not a significant number of people.
+ they gain extra revenue from PS3+Vita owners who were going to get the Vita game for $40 but instead are now buying the game for $60;
+ they gain sales from people who were swayed to buy NFS at launch in favor of other games in a crowded holiday season.

To cite one example we have Valve with their Cross Play on PC+Mac (and PS3 in the case of Portal 2). They're a successful company in large part because their decisions are made by gamers who understand this shit. EA has business people looking at spreadsheets and making wrong decisions all the time, so no Cross Buy for them.

BOOM! The people that were only going to spend $40 or likely not spend any money at all could be swayed by a pay $60 and get both promotion. And those people would far outweigh the people that are buying both at full price ($100). So Cross Buy can be a savvy marketing strategy.

SGRU

Well, I'd definitely prefer to buy a PS3 + PSV 60 euros bundle, even when I'm much more interested in the Vita version.

Skyzard

Banned
So spill it!

. :p Come online already America.

Edit, from his website (checked profile to see if actually from US):

Before I wrap this up it's also worth mentioning I spent about ten minutes with the Vita version of Most Wanted. After playing the console version for a couple hours the visual downgrade was clear, although not by much. Most Wanted on Vita seemed to be hitting at 25 or 30 fps with reduced textures and, considering its peers on the handheld, looked fantastic. I was told that it's also feature complete and, aside from a drop (down from eight) to four in multiplayer, an identical game. Additionally, through an Origin account, SP can be shared between the PS3 version of the game. Game progress cannot be shared, meaning you won't be able to carry completed races or cars found over, but SP will apparently be universal. Lastly EA was still not commenting on whether or not they're going to follow SCEA's lead with "buy it on PS3, get it on Vita" promotion but, hey, we can hope.

- http://digitalchumps.com/gamingnews/86-unofficial/9737-preview-need-for-speed-most-wanted.html - Posted today

Any more word describing the slowdown?

. :p Come online already America.

Edit, from his website (checked profile to see if actually from US):

- http://digitalchumps.com/gamingnews/86-unofficial/9737-preview-need-for-speed-most-wanted.html - Posted today

Any more word describing the slowdown?

Thanks for find that. What slowdown are you talking about?

Also, why does his site show a Move logo on the PS3 box art? That's the first I've seen or heard of that. Hope it's not true. I hate how that stupid logo ruins a good box art. :/

I'd be curious to find out what versions of the game were being shown off at that event.

Was curious how cross-buy was working.

I heard rumors about Most Wanted but nothing concrete I guess. :/

Read the post right above yours.

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks for find that. What slowdown are you talking about?

Also, why does his site show a Move logo on the PS3 box art? That's the first I've seen or heard of that. Hope it's not true. I hate how that stupid logo ruins a good box art. :/

I'd be curious to find out what versions of the game were being shown off at that event.

Not sure about move but it could be like the kinect thing where you use voice commands? Not sure why you'd need the controller though...let's see.

About the slowdown he mentioned the framerate being "25 or 30 fps"... was wondering if it was mostly smooth..If the slowdown only happened on rare occasions or if it was whenever he was driving fast etc.. Hoping they got it running optimally..

Sid

Not sure about move but it could be like the kinect thing where you use voice commands? Not sure why you'd need the controller though...let's see.

About the slowdown he mentioned the framerate being "25 or 30 fps"... was wondering if it was mostly smooth..If the slowdown only happened on rare occasions or if it was whenever he was driving fast etc.. Hoping they got it running optimally..
Do you have an account there?Could you ask him about the 'empty roads' on the vita version?

Skyzard

Banned
Do you have an account there?Could you ask him about the 'empty roads' on the vita version?

No account..nope..he's on these forums though.

what empty roads btw? do you mean in that 23 second clip in some pretty remote area where you find the audi? I doubt there was supposed to be many cars there..not to mention there was a car that he crashed into right at the end too..although i'm sure it will be reduced from the console version - wouldn't be too worried about that tbh, I'm sure they won't release it like a ghost town!

no shared save game is a shame. SP is one thing but not sharing unlocked cars/tracks/progress is disappointing

Yeah. His description of that was very confusing. You share you single player between PS3 and Vita, but you don't really share cars or progress.

OK, so what are we actually sharing then?

yurinka

Well, I'd definitely prefer to buy a PS3 + PSV 60 euros bundle, even when I'm much more interested in the Vita version.
Same here. After Wipeout, Ridge Racer and Motorstorm RC I want another great racing game for my Vita, and it seems perfect because it's another kind of racing game.

I'm a bit saturated of games in my PS3, I still have to play several that I bought or got them with PS+. So I would skip the PS3 version.

But if paying a bit more I get both versions, I'm interested specially if it would share the SP game progress in both versions as Sound Shapes and Motorstorm RC do, which I think is right now my favorite new feature of this year.

Yeah. His description of that was very confusing. You share you single player between PS3 and Vita, but you don't really share cars or progress.

OK, so what are we actually sharing then?

He's probably referring to Cloud Compete, which is essentially an overall leaderboard which adds together the Speed Points gained from playing on each of the various formats that you've registered your Origin account to. So, say I register a 360 copy and a Vita copy to the same Origin account: my Cloud Compete score will be the sum of the 360 and Vita Speed Points, but I can't use this score anywhere else.

(I say "register" in the cash-in-the-Online-Pass sense, it shouldn't prevent you from reselling outside of the usual can't-go-online-without-paying-ten-dollars problems).

On a different topic: according to the Need For Speed website, the UK RRP is £50 for consoles, £40 for PC. Yeah, as if that's going to happen.

No account..nope..he's on these forums though.

what empty roads btw? do you mean in that 23 second clip in some pretty remote area where you find the audi? I doubt there was supposed to be many cars there..not to mention there was a car that he crashed into right at the end too..although i'm sure it will be reduced from the console version - wouldn't be too worried about that tbh, I'm sure they won't release it like a ghost town!

Finally some decent footage, looks great!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK8cpQbQCrQ&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLYgkFyTjm7sO0t36ZYJNHew

dont forget to watch in 720p!

Definitely some traffic outside the event in the new footage.

He's probably referring to Cloud Compete, which is essentially an overall leaderboard which adds together the Speed Points gained from playing on each of the various formats that you've registered your Origin account to. So, say I register a 360 copy and a Vita copy to the same Origin account: my Cloud Compete score will be the sum of the 360 and Vita Speed Points, but I can't use this score anywhere else.

(I say "register" in the cash-in-the-Online-Pass sense, it shouldn't prevent you from reselling outside of the usual can't-go-online-without-paying-ten-dollars problems).

On a different topic: according to the Need For Speed website, the UK RRP is £50 for consoles, £40 for PC. Yeah, as if that's going to happen.

Cloud Compete sounds pretty stupid. If actual progress were carried across versions, it'd be a good incentive to get multiple versions. What you've described sounds like a half assed attempt that doesn't really incentivise it at all. What's the point?

^

Just buy it on PSN.

Two reasons I won't.

1) I like having physical copies on PS3. Partly because I don't trust Sony when it comes to certain things down the road.

2) I bought Burnout Paradise on the PSN way back when, and I immediately noticed the game didn't run as smoothly as it did off the disc. Criterion uses every trick in the book with the PS3 hardware, and that includes caching data on the hard drive every time you start up the game. You'll notice a lot of disc drive activity whenever you start up Paradise or Hot Pursuit. So once it caches that data, it's able to pull data from the disc, as well as its temporary cache on the hard drive. I don't believe the download version caches that data, not to mention many people's PS3 hard drives are fragmented, which will even compound the differences.

I can't say with certainty that was the cause, but that's my theory, because I eventually just went back to my disc version of Paradise whenever I play it. To be clear, I'm not saying the PSN version was bad, but I just noticed more moments of slowdown when things got really intense. Like a huge pile up would cause the game engine to wheeze for just a moment or two.

Top Bottom