• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NFS Most Wanted on PSVita footage eases all my concerns

Linkup

No need to release a trailer detailing the muddy textures, wealthy of jaggies, and empty city with pop up.

No really, why are the shadows so blocky and a complete lack of debris when you crash?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
No need to release a trailer detailing the muddy textures, wealthy of jaggies, and empty city with pop up.

No really, why are the shadows so blocky and a complete lack of debris when you crash?

This may surprise or even shock you but.............Vita isn't as powerful as home consoles!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I also think this demonstrates the reality of mobile hardware at this time. People have been suggesting that mobile devices are closing in on matching console hardware but I'm not convinced we're there yet. A lot of the same graphical techniques are completely possible, no doubt, but mobile hardware just doesn't seem to have the power necessary to deliver a full no compromise experience. The best looking iOS games, for instance, are actually very simplistic on the back end in comparison.

LiquidMetal14

Posted on the blog asking for some reason. I just want to know if it will be discounted more than anything else. The PS3 version has a PS+ discount so I would expect the same for Vita.

I also think this demonstrates the reality of mobile hardware at this time. People have been suggesting that mobile devices are closing in on matching console hardware but I'm not convinced we're there yet. A lot of the same graphical techniques are completely possible, no doubt, but mobile hardware just doesn't seem to have the power necessary to deliver a full no compromise experience. The best looking iOS games, for instance, are actually very simplistic on the back end in comparison.

Yeah. I've noticed this too. There is a lot of talk about "the new iPad is nearly as powerful as an Xbox 360", etc.

While these mobile devices are getting more powerful year by year, there seems to be a little wishful thinking in those claims. They can get the general look across on mobile now, but it's the smaller details and effects that still aren't possible. For example, the lighting on the console versions of Most Wanted looks extremely impressive to me, and seeing the videos of the Vita version it's clear that is completely missing. Also missing are the reflective "wet" street effects. These missing details are a big part of the visual makeup of this game on consoles.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I think we'll just about hit current consoles by the end of next year, assuming the ipad gets another CPU/GPU bump. Whether any games actually leverage that I don't know - maybe one or two.

And then the next consoles will come out and create that gap all over again. I don't think tablets will ever catch up, they can just never afford the wattage that a console can, and they're going to hit a wall sometime soon, they've just ramped up really fast.

Linkup

This may surprise or even shock you but.............Vita isn't as powerful as home consoles!

All I can say is that Sony's PR about how powerful the system is has been great. It's not like I've never seen a Vita game before, but I guess I've let the PR and internet comments get the best of me. Plus I've been following this game since it was announced for the Vita and I can't say I'm wasn't surprised after seeing all the positives comments in this thread, thought the first video looked pretty bad and it's not like anyone spoke up.

They aren't seriously going to release this game with damn near zero media released, are they? I was sure it'd get delayed, but we're starting to get awful close to the 30th.

Wonko_C

EA could've done what Capcom did with SFxT and put PS3 footage over a Vita screen and call it a day. It's not like misleading videos and screenshots on the back of the box are uncommon practices.

Yeah. I've noticed this too. There is a lot of talk about "the new iPad is nearly as powerful as an Xbox 360", etc.

While these mobile devices are getting more powerful year by year, there seems to be a little wishful thinking in those claims. They can get the general look across on mobile now, but it's the smaller details and effects that still aren't possible. For example, the lighting on the console versions of Most Wanted looks extremely impressive to me, and seeing the videos of the Vita version it's clear that is completely missing. Also missing are the reflective "wet" street effects. These missing details are a big part of the visual makeup of this game on consoles.

I just posted that a short while ago, and decided to go back and watch the first video of the Vita version, from the first post in this thread, again.

Now that I'm looking closely, I think I do see some of those cool lens flare effects in place. Particularly at the 4 second mark in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4a4w9tNxYc

I'm very happy to see that, as I think that effect looks very cool in the HD versions of the game. This is the problem with not having direct feed video. It's hard to pick up on the small details from a shitty off-screen YouTube video.

LiquidMetal14

All I can say is that Sony's PR about how powerful the system is has been great. It's not like I've never seen a Vita game before, but I guess I've let the PR and internet comments get the best of me. Plus I've been following this game since it was announced for the Vita and I can't say I'm wasn't surprised after seeing all the positives comments in this thread, thought the first video looked pretty bad and it's not like anyone spoke up.

It's definitely garnered some attention and has looked good but the lack of media is frankly frustrating.

I want this game and it's sad that I'm positioning it as a purchase over what seem to be some solid games like AC3:L and even skipped on VLR for it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I just posted that a short while ago, and decided to go back and watch the first video of the Vita version, from the first post in this thread, again.

Now that I'm looking closely, I think I do see some of those cool lens flare effects in place. Particularly at the 4 second mark in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4a4w9tNxYc

I'm very happy to see that, as I think that effect looks very cool in the HD versions of the game. This is the problem with not having direct feed video. It's hard to pick up on the small details from a shitty off-screen YouTube video.
You can also see that the shadows are in place and working (as you drive between building shadows they cast properly on the car).

TheD

The Detective
Vita (and the new iPad) are nowhere near close to as powerful as current gen consoles.
Take Wipeout 2048 vs Wipeout HD/Fury.
1/4 the number of pixels, half the frame rate and a lot of graphical cut downs (base on the HD/Fury tracks for 2048 vs the originals).

1/9 the power of the consoles is what I would say they are and it will take more than a year from them to match.

RoylAsult

crap, why does this have to come out the same day as AC3 and Liberation. i want those two badly and this game looks awesome both on the vita and console. decisions...

VanWinkle

Cross-posting from the Vita thread:

Alright, here's the NFS MW video I said I would upload. Very good quality with direct feed sound. Gives you a good idea what it looks and sounds like. I drive around a little, show off custom soundtracks, enter a race, oh, and crash. A LOT. It was hard to drive while looking at a weird angle from the tripod, so excuse that. I have to go back to that race that I failed at. Got so mad when a crashed into the van right before I hit the finish line, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M89vp-zOXww&feature=g-crec-u

RyL

Banned

Actually, Sony stated the opposite...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-02-ngp-chips-wont-rival-ps3-performance

"Some people in the press have said 'Wow, this thing could be as powerful as a PS3,'" explained SCEA research manager David Coombes. "Well, it's not going to run at 2GHz because the battery would last five minutes and it would probably set fire to your pants."

I would even go as far as saying that games on my Galaxy Nexus phone look much better than any Vita game I have played so far because of the overall better image quality. (much better AA)

Actually, Sony stated the opposite...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-02-ngp-chips-wont-rival-ps3-performance

I would even go as far as saying that games on my Galaxy Nexus phone look much better than any Vita game I have played so far because of the overall better image quality. (much better AA)

Look much better? As in...?

Not taking into account graphical quality... Yes, IQ will be much better on the GN in games with the same AA effects on both versions (for example, 0xAA will always look better on GN compared to 0xAA on Vita). Smaller screen and higher res, thus producing a 'higher downsampling effect' (or as you said, AA) than on Vita.

However... IQ isn't everything. This game, overall, looks better than anything on Android. So does Uncharted. But yeah, I get what you mean.

Beach Buggy Blitz looks incredible but it's very, very closed with its tracks. MW is an open world game. Some Android games are starting to have very good quality, but still don't provide an experience like MW for example (MW on Android is closed. Very, very closed courses too).

RyL

Banned
Look much better? As in...?

Not taking into account graphical quality... Yes, IQ will be much better on the GN in games with the same AA effects on both versions (for example, 0xAA will always look better on GN compared to 0xAA on Vita). Smaller screen and higher res, thus producing a 'higher downsampling effect' (or as you said, AA) than on Vita.

However... IQ isn't everything. This game, overall, looks better than anything on Android. So does Uncharted. But yeah, I get what you mean.

Beach Buggy Blitz looks incredible but it's very, very closed with its tracks. MW is an open world game. Some Android games are starting to have very good quality, but still don't provide an experience like MW for example (MW on Android is closed. Very, very closed courses too).

The screens are almost identical in size and display technology. They both use AMOLED screens so I think it's fair to compare them. I already mentioned it in the vita screenshot thread and it's one of the major gripes I have with the Vita. Aliasing bothers me so much and all the fancy shaders/effects in the world mean nothing when the overall IQ is utter rubbish.

There is slow down, but it sounds like the console aren't perfect either. It is a really nifty experience on the vita, and I'm happy that is the route I took. I'll end up with a $5 copy on the PC someday anyways. The experience has me hooked like any other version would.

inner-G

Banned
After hearing all the graphics moaning on GAF I was pleasantly surprised when I started playing tonight.

It looks hot.

It's awesome to be able to play something like this on a handheld and this game is just really well-done overall, presentation, music, etc.

Robertto

Neo Member
just bought this game, it is graphically vey disappointing. extremely blurry and Jaggy as a result of it not being native res, which is not a cardinal sin in my book, just here is seems so sub native res it reminds of running diablo 2 on a current monitor when they would only allow 680 x 400. still its is more or less the whole console game on the go, and the cars do really handle great, and there is just something about being in an open would on a portable that i love, which is why i pine for a 3D GTA vita game.

Overall if you love racing games, and have a vita, get this $40 off PSN, i think it will be a great game t have on your vita for a long time.

PS: anyone on vita that will play this, shoot me a PSN invite, I'd love to take some of you down through autolog.
PSN: Delrobertto

The screens are almost identical in size and display technology. They both use AMOLED screens so I think it's fair to compare them. I already mentioned it the vita screenshot thread and it's one of the major gripes I have with the Vita. Aliasing bothers me so much and all the fancy shaders/effects in the world mean nothing when the overall IQ is utter rubbish.

Vita's screen is a "simple" OLED as far as I know. There's a difference between that and a Super AMOLED I guess, but I haven't been able to discover which yet (didn't find any articles that compared both). Edit: saw one of your links in the other post. They say it appears to be a SA+ display. I don't really know the differences between that and a simple OLED display. I'll take their (and yours) word for it. I'm not saying it's a dishonest comparison, I'm agreeing with you in that the GN will always have superior IQ if you compare one game on each platform with the same AA applied in each.

Also, again, bear in mind some games may have lower IQ, but they're games like MW. Dead Trigger is a corridor shooter. I mean that literally. It's corridors. And you know it because you've played it like me. It does look incredible and I will tell that to people that bash mobile gaming and how it's evolving, but if there's a game between DT and MW that should have pristine IQ, it's Dead Trigger surely.

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks for the impressions Robertto, I'm leaning towards picking this up (at the more extortionate £40 price on PSN). Played it on PC and I can see the difference but I'd still rather have it. I know the console versions aren't perfect but how bad was the slowdown? Common in races? Severe.. (sub 20fps)?

Also, again, bear in mind some games may have lower IQ, but they're games like MW. Dead Trigger is a corridor shooter. I mean that literally. It's corridors. And you know it because you've played it like me. It does look incredible and I will tell that to people that bash mobile gaming and how it's evolving, but if there's a game between DT and MW that should have pristine IQ, it's Dead Trigger surely.

That's the difference...people expect deeper games with the vita and the IQ takes a hit in a lot of cases so far. There is the odd exceptional iOS game like that FPS I saw though. Hopefully it will get better with time but I do get the feeling like they aren't investing as much time due to userbase size..which is a bit dumb considering a month or so to optimise/improve it will pay off down the line with the vita's small library and growing userbase..instead of being forgotten (modnation). I'm sure wipeout 2048 will still sell a decent number of copies as time goes on.

Shai-Tan

Banned

Games like NFS MW are impressive and do look pretty good on the Vita. It's good for production that it is trying to look like the console version but I think it could look better in some ways if it wasn't. The ideal would be to look like a console version compared to the PC version with all options. The worst case is when a game starts to look like the PC version with all the options turned low which only happens because a game wasn't designed with that hardware in mind. I'm not criticizing how NFS MW or ACL look as I think they did a pretty good job, just that thinking about Vita as an extension of multiplatform is limiting when the GPU is something like 5x slower than an Xbox 360 GPU.

Skyzard

Banned
^ good point, would have been nicer if it was designed from the ground up for Vita..I understand why they ported it of course and do appreciate it as it's not bad..but cut us a £5-10 discount will ya EA :p

Vita's screen is a "simple" OLED as far as I know. There's a difference between that and a Super AMOLED I guess, but I haven't been able to discover which yet (didn't find any articles that compared both). Edit: saw one of your links in the other post. They say it appears to be a SA+ display. I don't really know the differences between that and a simple OLED display. I'll take their (and yours) word for it. I'm not saying it's a dishonest comparison, I'm agreeing with you in that the GN will always have superior IQ if you compare one game on each platform with the same AA applied in each.

Pretty sure it uses Super AMOLED IIRC, though I may be completely wrong.

EDIT: There is like, no traffic for this version..

Shai-Tan

Banned
That's the difference...people expect deeper games with the vita and the IQ takes a hit in a lot of cases so far. There is the odd exceptional iOS game like that FPS I saw though.

Some of the games on the Vita are having much more complex visual features (more higher poly objects, dynamic lighting/shadows, complex shaders) which leads to the sub native resolution and an image that can look soft/jagged. I think developers maybe try to make too much visual parity with the console versions when they could make some compromises that wouldn't effect image quality too much and perhaps get back to native resolution. Some of those compromises might involve a lot of extra work if visual design doesn't carry over directly so there are reasons why not but I think eventually there will be games designed with the system in mind that will look better not unlike how exclusive PS3 games look better than most of the multiplatform games.

RyL

Banned

Nope, there is no such thing as a "simple" or "pure" OLED. (well ok, there is, but not for the average consumer) That's Sony marketing for you.

It's either AMOLED or PMOLED.

The Vita has a qHD SuperAMOLEDplus made by Samsung.
The GN has an HD SuperAMOLED(not plus) also made by Samsung but with the inferior PenTile Matrix technology which renders the ppi of 315 a big fat lie. The reason most companies choose PenTile is that it reaches the life expectancy of a LCD panel. Major disadvantage are the black subpixels you see on white/bright backgrounds. If you have good eyes you can see the checkerboard pattern which is kinda annoying, but then again isn't really noticeable in motion/moving frames.

The Vitas AMOLED+ might lose contrast and sharpness over the years. (a friend of mine experienced that phenomenon on his Galaxy SII)

Oh and I agree with you on mobile gaming. I think handhelds nowadays are too expensive. After all, they're single purpose devices. I think it's the main reason why they lose against smartphones and tablets big time. The Vita costs the same (with all the extras) as my unlocked GN which is a multipurpose device and does almost (ALMOST, gaming is debatable) everything better than my Vita. You don't even need an expensive plan. The phone works with a pre-paid sim card (you have to turn off mobile internet and only use WiFi for internet) Hell, you don't even need a sim card to operate smartphones. There are people out there who buy smartphones to use them as PDAs/mini-tablets...

Sorry for the offtopic gibberish mods!
Let's hope for a MW demo!

i want that magical nexus you have,because my galaxy 3 doesnt have any game who looks better than uncharted or ac3 liberation

RyL

Banned
i want that magical nexus you have,because my galaxy 3 doesnt have any game who looks better than uncharted or ac3 liberation

Perhaps you're playing the wrong games?
Try any game from Madfinger, Vector Unit or the newer Gameloft games.

Dead Trigger, SHADOWGUN, May Payne Mobile, GTA III (looks superb when maxed out), Modern Combat3 etc.

VanWinkle

Dead Trigger, SHADOWGUN, May Payne Mobile, GTA III (looks superb when maxed out), Modern Combat3 etc.

I've played all of those extensively. They don't look nearly as good as Vita games. You must be the entire graphical quality into the sharpness.

Are you serious....? Mind you, I remember somebody saying they thought Ipad games looked better than ps3/360 games.....

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

I have only played dead trigger, but it wasn't all that impressive to me. Certainly much less so than uncharted.

Top Bottom