• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NFS Most Wanted on PSVita footage eases all my concerns

DemonNite

makes sense to put this here too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKukAD2noZY

iySJDNJ1lVF6f.gif

I found this quote from Colin Moriarty interesting, regarding his hands on time with the Vita version.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/12/nycc-upcoming-playstation-vita-games-galore

What I can tell you is that while I wasn’t at all blown away by the game’s aesthetics, I was certainly interested in its precise controls and sprawling environments. You won’t at all mistake Vita’s iteration of Most Wanted as a PS3 game – not even close – but it seems like it will give players an interesting, if not complementary racing experience on the go when they simply can’t be in front of their PS3s.

Interesting that he makes a point of saying "wasn't at all blown away", and "you won't mistake the Vita version for the PS3 game, not even close".

I guess this is going to bring expectations down to earth, and it is a little disappointing to find out the Vita is not as powerful as people may have been hoping. Criterion was even quoted as saying "The Vita wasn't as powerful as we were led to believe" when they first showed the Vita version a couple months ago.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I found this quote from Colin Moriarty interesting, regarding his hands on time with the Vita version.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/12/nycc-upcoming-playstation-vita-games-galore

Interesting that he makes a point of saying "wasn't at all blown away", and "you won't mistake the Vita version for the PS3 game, not even close".

I guess this is going to bring expectations down to earth, and it is a little disappointing to find out the Vita is not as powerful as people may have been hoping. Criterion was even quoted as saying "The Vita wasn't as powerful as we were led to believe" when they first showed the Vita version a couple months ago.
Well that's disappointing to hear.

Returners

I have to say nothing blows Moriarty away. He is one of the harshest critics I ever read (to games/genres that he doesn't like)

I don't think anyone expected a PS3 game, but as long as I have the PS3 game's content down to pocket size I'll be on board day 1.

Carl

I'd rather go by all of the video footage than what he says. And the video footage looks great to me

But but Vita is a Portable Ps3.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

I would just like to point out that we do know exactly how powerful the vita was right from the beginning, and it is nowhere near the capabilities if a ps3. Expecting anything else is just wishful expectation.

SmokyDave

We know the Vita isn't as powerful as the PS3! It's been out for ages. I think we could safely say it wasn't a portable PS3 long before it was even released. These sound like the sort of comments you'd expect before the hardware hit the shelves.

I just want it to run smoothly. I'm not that worried about environments in a portable racer as long as the car models look nice and the framerate is nice & smooth.

(Oh man, I wish it was a portable PS3 though).

I don't think anyone expected a PS3 game, but as long as I have the PS3 game's content down to pocket size I'll be on board day 1.

I agree. It's still the complete game on the Vita, and it looks nice and runs nice. That's still an exciting thing to me.

I'd rather go by all of the video footage than what he says. And the video footage looks great to me

Well, if I'm being honest I really haven't been blown away with the footage I've seen. Of course all we've seen so far has been shoddy off-screen footage, but still, what's there hasn't blown me away at all. This article was just confirmation of what I was already feeling.

colin probably thinks the game shouldn't be on vita

Ha. His recent rants on that topic are so strange to listen to.

I would just like to point out that we do know exactly how powerful the vita was right from the beginning, and it is nowhere near the capabilities if a ps3. Expecting anything else is just wishful expectation.

There was a lot of talk early on about how the Vita was going to be pushing near PS3 visuals. I had hopes that if that was true, Criterion would be the ones to prove it, and that's why I'm disappointed to see how Most Wanted on Vita turned out.

Not because it's bad, but just because I know Criterion will squeeze every ounce of power out of a piece of hardware, and if this is the best they can do, I think this is the best anyone can do. I found their quote from a few months ago very telling when they said "The Vita wasn't as powerful as we were led to believe", because I don't think they would have made a point of saying that if they weren't feeling a little disappointed themselves.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Of course Vita isn't as powerful as the PS3 but 'we', (and I'm including dev's here) expected more, even Criterion said as much, CPU is blatantly underclocked in the Vita.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There was a lot of talk early on about how the Vita was going to be pushing near PS3 visuals. I had hopes that if that was true, Criterion would be the ones to prove it, and that's why I'm disappointed to see how Most Wanted on Vita turned out.
These are fair expectations based on some of the early games.

I mean, Virtua Tennis 4, Marvel vs Capcom 3, and a number of other games look and run just as well as the PS3 versions and are very impressive to behold. Then you have games like Uncharted producing visuals not too far off from what you'd expect out of PS3. Taking those examples together with the fact that they were early launch games it's not unrealistic to expect improvements. We didn't know how far the system could be pushed just yet.

These are fair expectations based on some of the early games.

I mean, Virtua Tennis 4, Marvel vs Capcom 3, and a number of other games look and run just as well as the PS3 versions and are very impressive to behold. Then you have games like Uncharted producing visuals not too far off from what you'd expect out of PS3. Taking those examples together with the fact that they were early launch games it's not unrealistic to expect improvements. We didn't know how far the system could be pushed just yet.

Yup. I was very impressed with Virtua Tennis 4, as well as Uncharted, to an extent.

But I guess thinking about both of those games, they present impressive visuals within a limited scope. VT4 is just presenting a view of the court, and it's really not that demanding an engine when you think about it. Uncharted looks nice, but it never really presents the kinds of massive set pieces or environments we see in the PS3 versions.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the Vita can produce near PS3 visuals within certain limitations, but an open world like Most Wanted is asking a lot of the hardware, and that's where it's true limitations were revealed.

lantus

I don't think it's right to say a game releasing this year will immediately use all of the power the system has to offer, and it's only their first game on the platform. And considering the scale of the game, I would say that's pretty impressive for a handheld.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
BruiserBear said:
There was a lot of talk early on about how the Vita was going to be pushing near PS3 visuals. I had hopes that if that was true, Criterion would be the ones to prove it
There there were several 1:1 ports PS3->Vita already, those alone serve a reasonable definition of "near". There's also original games that do a decent job at mimicking 1st gen PS3 titles (like Uncharted), so everything beyond that is just selective reasoning and moving the goal posts (in either direction).

Not unlike how PSP had done an easy job of outpacing 1st gen PS2 titles early on while the hw was 3-4x weaker in real-terms, and people will forever argue whether that was the case or not (on both counts).

Given how 3rd-4th tier platforms are typically handled in multi-platform releases, Vita version of NFS is already defying expectations on feature-set and release date. PSP got several hand-me-down burnouts that were a far-cry from show-casing the platform, and it was doing better in the marketplace.

jgmo870

Banned
I have to say nothing blows Moriarty away. He is one of the harshest critics I ever read (to games/genres that he doesn't like)

Harsh isn't how I'd describe someone who panned a minimalist action game for being a hack-n-slash that tried to do "too much".

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So I guess what I'm saying is that the Vita can produce near PS3 visuals within certain limitations, but an open world like Most Wanted is asking a lot of the hardware, and that's where it's true limitations were revealed.

I don't think you can say anything educated about the Vita's limitations. Comparing mature 6+ year old power hungry consoles and tools against a new portable console that runs on phone hardware and has a five hour battery life is beyond silly. So many variables beyond hardware come into play, dev team strengths, size, experience, budget, etc. System tool maturity. In the six years the same game might look or run 50% better.

Twinduct

Hmm have not seen any footage of the game (other than the reveal) of the game running on other hardware. Is the damage model also gimped in them? (Coming from burnout more than NFS)

I don't think you can say anything educated about the Vita's limitations. Comparing mature 6+ year old power hungry consoles and tools against a new portable console that runs on phone hardware and has a five hour battery life is beyond silly. So many variables beyond hardware come into play, dev team strengths, size, experience, budget, etc. System tool maturity. In the six years the same game might look or run 50% better.

I'm not knocking the hardware buddy. I'm just pointing out what we have seen from the Vita so far, and how it compares what the PS3 is capable of.

Regarding developers, Criterion are among the elite in the industry right now. If this is the best they can do on the Vita right now, it tells us something about the Vita.

Especially when they go on the record as saying the device is not as powerful as they were led to believe. They never said that about the PS3, but they did say that about the Vita. One has to wonder why they would say that.

Hmm have not seen any footage of the game (other than the reveal) of the game running on other hardware. Is the damage model also gimped in them? (Coming from burnout more than NFS)

You can't wreck licensed cars that badly. Manufacturers won't let you.

kerrak

Vita undoubtly approaches ps3. Ps3 benefits from more processor power, more years of devs optimizing and vita benefits from more memory, so results will obviously never be the same. Every game is different. Rayman on vita is gorgeous and plays the same as ps3. LBPVita is very near LBP2. Virtua Tennis, Hot Shots, and many others are perfectly comparable to ps3 versions. When you boot most games on vita, i doubt people is thinking "wew it looks poor". I consider pretty unfair to nitpick small lightning, resolution or jaggies issues. This type of criticisms has always been present with sony handhelds and usually unheard on other handhelds. They are many times analyzed with the same ruler as consoles games. Many people dont really understand (or pretend not to) what the "console experience" on the go means. No matter what sony does, it's always wrong in their minds and opinions. I am sure there will be disappointing games on Vita, and i'm not judging NFSMW, but the talk around "not as powerful" is ridiculous.
/rant

Marz

My guess is Criterion said that because when they first announced the game they were going to go in and give it their all....then when the sales situation and negative hype started developing around the Vita they decided they weren't going to put as much effort in and this is the result. So the "not as powerful as we thought" comment is just a coverup for "didn't try...please still buy". Game's still gonna be good though.

Vita's also underclocked who knows what it will be capable of when Sony unleashes it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd love to buy this on vita, but the lack of multiple accounts means I might be better to get it on Ps3 so my kids can play too. And the parity in content actually works against double dipping as they don't work with each other.

If I could have signed in with my PSN account and shared a save that'd be enough I think. But I think it only shares the points you earn?

Sid

It looks great but the only way i'm buying this is if we can launch the events on-the-fly via an in game menu instead of actually driving to the event everytime,so will the vita version have such a feature?

Skyzard

Banned
It looks great but the only way i'm buying this is if we can launch the events on-the-fly via an in game menu instead of actually driving to the event everytime,so will the vita version have such a feature?

Yep! I specifically remember hearing it in one of the many videos I've seen - it was PC though..but going on what we've heard and seen I expect it's in the Vita version too. Great feature, don't remember it being in BP...really will help to get some good races going - less time wasting and messing around as I could hardly remember the race circuits in BP with the revving at a traffic light to start a race way.

Sid

Yep! I specifically remember hearing it in one of the many videos I've seen - it was PC though..but going on what we've heard and seen I expect it's in the Vita version too. Great feature, don't remember it being in BP...really will help to get some good races going - less time wasting and messing around as I could hardly remember the race circuits in BP with the revving at a traffic light to start a race way.
Right,thx.

Takao

Banned
still no real media... poor show EA (still getting the game but why are they refusing to show any real media e.g direct feed video or trailer)

Because they probably don't think it's going to sell and therefore it's not worth the time of releasing media for it. That's the unfortunate truth.

Because they probably don't think it's going to sell and therefore it's not worth the time of releasing media for it. That's the unfortunate truth.

It doesn't really take time to put a Vita video on Youtube. They also did take the time to do an interview about the Vita version.

I still think it's because they're worried about the reception the Vita version is going to get, in direct comparison to the amazing visuals we've all been seeing of the game running on PC and HD consoles.

KalBalboa

Banned
It doesn't really take time to put a Vita video on Youtube. They also did take the time to do an interview about the Vita version.

I still think it's because they're worried about the reception the Vita version is going to get, in direct comparison to the amazing visuals we've all been seeing of the game running on PC and HD consoles.

All very true. My assumption is that they want the PS3/360 versions to be all that people think of when it comes to Need For Speed this holiday and that the Vita version would somehow cloud that mind share.

I'm hearing more and more rumors of cross-buy hitting for this title this week... here's hoping we get some news on that front soon.

Takao

Banned

I imagine SCE's PlayStation Blog crew pushed for the interview, not EA. Also, the only thing an interview costs during a press event is time. Marketing costs money, and EA was not afraid to release plenty of media for the Mobile version of the game.

Top Bottom