• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Selects Announced for US for release on March 11 (3DS/Wii/Wii U)

Vanille

Ugh, that boxart. Why couldn't they just stick with the minimalistic Player's Choice label they used back in the GC/GBA era.

maxcriden

Details? Is it just a membership number I put in when making a online purchase? If I buy 8 games, it's like get one free.

It's not a membership number, no. There are GAFers who will buy it for you and you pay them for it before they check out. I've done it with multiple trusted GAFers from the B/S/T thread. If you want to PM me I can point you in the right direction. Unless I'm misunderstanding and you want to help others but games using your GCU account, in which case I can provide some info about that also.

Ocarina of Time was one of the N64 games I had back in the day. I never really replayed it, but I'm planning on getting it now. I'll probably get the digital version, I guess.

Ridley327

What are we expecting for Wave 2?

Hopefully Splatoon.

I'm assuming they'll just stick to 3DS and Wii U for that wave, so I would grab four from these picks:

Wii U: Wind Waker HD, Nintendo Land, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Wii Sports Club, Mario Party 10
3DS: A Link Between Worlds, Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Luigi's Mansion 2, Kid Icarus Uprising (minus the stuff), Tomodachi Life, Star Fox 64 3D

I feel like they're not going to reprint any games that they don't own outright, so that would take out the LCU duo, Bravely Default and any Level 5 game, and they're obviously never going to touch anything Pokemon. I don't see them reprinting anything that already is choking shelves at retail, either, so that would take the likes of Ninja Gaiden 3, Steel Diver, Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse out of contention.

TheMoon

Well I hope that Europe will have something similar soon. Will def get Super Mario and Donkey Kong then.

We just got a wave of Selects last October for 3DS. That was, in essence, something "similar." We just didn't get any Wii U games in there and most of the Wii games NA just got were already released in the Selects line in EU.

Awesome timing for those Wii U games since I got mine this past Black Friday and most of those games were more than I was willing to spend.

Looking forward to picking up all the Wii U titles as well as DKCR for my n3DS, since I also missed out on that as well.

hwy_61

Banned
Is AC: city folk a good animal crossing game? I played new leaf, and I liked it, I would just like to try a console one out.

Rival

Gold Member
It's about time they let me buy a physical copy of pikmin 3 again. I sadly missed the first run and won't buy wiiu games digitally.

ChrisD

got ocarina of time for $16 when i traded a cart only copy for $60 to gamestop last year lol

Traded Tropical Freeze for $50 through 50% shenanigans. So I basically played the masterpiece for free.

Can't wait to get it and play through in it's entirety once more. <3

how many copies does mario kart 8 sell each month? is it still selling a lot? I wish it were included in this, for $20 I'd buy it again

Probably still a decent amount. It's up to past 7 million on the Wii U install base and seems like one of the games everyone gets if they have a Wii U. No reason to drop it to $20. There are also copies readily available on store shelves unlike the four Wii U games offered.

Also the three former full retail Wii U games offered are from August 2013 to February 2014.

I'm sure this is an unanswerable thing, but will stores have stock of the reprints on March 11th? In my mind, I can see a scenario in which the stores lower the price on the stock they have, but don't receive the reprints until days or weeks later. Just curious. Maybe this scenario is the product of paranoia. I just really want OOT3D, and I'm leaving for a weeklong trip on the 12th.

It's hilarious that pre-ordering City Folk is a thing. Pre-orders for a reprint of a 5-year-old reissue of a 7-year-old game for a console that was supplanted more than 3 years ago.

my guess:
Lego City (Wii U and 3DS)

Please. I passed on it at launch because I play Lego games with my girlfriend and they dropped co-op in that one (WHY? It's half the draw of the series!), but I'd still love to pick it up on the cheap and run through it on my own.

Brofield

my guess:
Lego City (Wii U and 3DS), Wind Waker HD, Wii Party U
Paper Mario Sticker Star, Kid Icarus, Super Mario 3D Land

Man, I totally missed on Lego City Undercover on Wii U, I'd love to pick it up and play through it properly.

Josh5890

It's hilarious that pre-ordering City Folk is a thing. Pre-orders for a reprint of a 5-year-old reissue of a 7-year-old game for a console that was supplanted more than 3 years ago.

Please. I passed on it at launch because I play Lego games with my girlfriend and they dropped co-op in that one (WHY? It's half the draw of the series!), but I'd still love to pick it up on the cheap and run through it on my own.

Man, I totally missed on Lego City Undercover on Wii U, I'd love to pick it up and play through it properly.

Outside of the load times that make you want to murder someone, I loved the game. There were so many film references that I enjoyed but a seven year old wouldn't get. The comedy was fun. I still don't know how I was lucky to get a used copy for $22.

I don't have a Wii U yet, but have slowly been picking up games here n there on the cheap. I'm pretty much waiting for confirmation whether or not the NX has backwards compatibility. So far I've only picked up 4 titles: SM 3D World, DKTF, Lego City, and Zombie U (all for $25 or less). So these new Selects are perfect timing. Pikmin 3 for $16 GCU is a steal considering the ridiculous prices used copies have been fetching the past few months. NES Remix might be worth a look too. And I'll likely pick up Super Mario Galaxy 2 and All-Stars (Wii) as well.

This kind of smart move almost makes me believe Nintendo may have a better/revamped strategy from here forward.

Didn't NOE already release some selects? I definitely remember being super jealous of Link Between Worlds being made a select there.

I'd much rather have Wii U games as part of selects.

My girlfriend wants 3D World but it seems to be out of print in the UK so sells for like £50, that's like $70..

Top Bottom