• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PES 2017 hands-on impressions, gameplay

PES continues to improve it seems. But as a PC gamer, I will stick with FIFA this year, which actually is looking real good with the new engine.

Robso

Nope. However, you'll be able to copy edit data on PS4 this year, which will mean full leagues will be available on option files.

Yes

Oh, that's good that edit data can be copied. Thanks.

What! That's bloody irritating.

Last year it was no Dortumund and now no Bayern.

Are Arsenal licensed? As they are in the Barcelona trailer.

Like Lam said, Arsenal are licensed. Liverpool also. So two Premier League sides this time around.

PaulLFC

Nah, that's wishful thinking.
Is it? Why?

I can only assume from the "same old deficiencies" line you haven't watched any videos - keepers and refs are improved from last year for starters, so that doesn't hold up.

Which football game is "the best" will always be personal opinion. For me PES started to close the gap on FIFA with 2014 and continued down that path, to the point 2016 was a better game which I played far more than FIFA, despite FIFA eventually being 'free' on EA Access.

spwolf

Is it? Why?

I can only assume from the "same old deficiencies" line you haven't watched any videos - keepers and refs are improved from last year for starters, so that doesn't hold up.

Which football game is "the best" will always be personal opinion. For me PES started to close the gap on FIFA with 2014 and continued down that path, to the point 2016 was a better game which I played far more than FIFA, despite FIFA eventually being 'free' on EA Access.

it is pretty clear that PES is better game :)

ty_hot

Few weeks from release date and no list of licensed clubs.

At least there will be a demo, so I will have time to cancel the pre order if it disappoints me. Havent played a PES since the 2012 (?), and never really enjoyed fifa as mich as the older PESs.

ty_hot

Ouch, found the list.

https://www.konami.com/wepes/2017/eu/en/license/

What os in: Italy, France, Netherlands, Barcelona, Atletico Madri, Liverpool, Arsenal, Benfica, Sporting, Dortmumd, Schalke, Leverkusen

Also: Asia Champions League, and cant guess which national teams are licensed from their shit list. Only six stadiums...

NO LIBERTADORES? NO BRAZILIAN LEAGUE? ARETHEYKIDDINGME? I thought it was confirmed before. Wtf

I guess when playing online we need to use those shit names and uniforms they provide, right? Even the option files are not so helpful anymore... There are four useless second divisions that ofc are there because they expect players to do the work of bringing the teams that they couldn't.

If there really isnt a Libertadores I'll probably cancel the pre order (buy it cheaper later or go fifa)

These "official partner" are just a shit last minute move to try to hide their major incompetence in the License area.

Big disappointment.

Edit. They have national teams for Oman, Thailand, Uzbekistan etc but couldnt bring even a fake Boca Juniors, River, Brazilian Team or any team from south america... Amd how is it that they get the license for the championsip but not for the teams? Its like playing ghe Fifa World Cup but hey, we cant have germany, but you can still have fun with New Zealand, right? And based on the page i linked, there are only two national teams association emblems:
Netherlands and Spain. Furfhef down the page they say its a Corinthians official game, but the team is nowhere in the list. Pffff.

Theas guyz at konami have some serious issues.

Robso

Ouch, found the list.

What os in: Italy, France, Netherlands, Barcelona, Atletico Madri, Liverpool, Arsenal, Benfica, Sporting, Dortmumd, Schalke, Leverkusen

Also: Asia Champions League, and cant guess which national teams are licensed from their shit list. Only six stadiums...

NO LIBERTADORES? NO BRAZILIAN LEAGUE? ARETHEYKIDDINGME? I thought it was confirmed before. Wtf

I guess when playing online we need to use those shit names and uniforms they provide, right? Even the option files are not so helpful anymore... There are four useless second divisions that ofc are there because they expect players to do the work of bringing the teams that they couldn't.

If there really isnt a Libertadores I'll probably cancel the pre order (buy it cheaper later or go fifa)

These "official partner" are just a shit last minute move to try to hide their major incompetence in the License area.

Big disappointment.

They've still to announce some partnerships so perhaps the Copa Libertadores will be in the game still. Online wise I think that the team names and kits from option files will display for you yourself, but not your opponent. If I recall correctly, this was the case in PES 2016.

There's going to be 28 stadiums on release and two more added in the first data pack. The list isn't complete on the website. So says Adam Bhatti (brand manager) anyway.

LAM09

Ouch, found the list.

Big disappointment.

6d68JmXl.jpg

That was the orignal list, but they removed it from the site a few hours late. South American partners are going to be announced next week according to the Brand manager, so we'll have a clearer picture then.

So this has full edit files available. Not like last version with individual kit and team editing taking forever?

This year you'll be able to copy kits straight away without having to edit the kit colours, name & number positioning, etc.

TLZ

Banned
Looks as bad as 2016. Hardly any fouls, skating still in and such a turn off, arcadey, bad stiff animations etc, players passing accurately from the most awkward positions totally disregarding body angle/position etc. I don't understand what's with the ugly animations, especially the knees. They always look like they move farther than thy should.

Never listen to Adam nor Asim. It's their job to hype it and they lied a good number of times before.

This is depressing. Last gen has been bad and this isn't any different :(

LAM09

Looks as bad as 2016. Hardly any fouls, skating still in and such a turn off, arcadey, bad stiff animations etc, players passing accurately from the most awkward positions totally disregarding body angle/position etc. I don't understand what's with the ugly animations, especially the knees. They always look like they move farther than thy should.

Never listen to Adam nor Asim. It's their job to hype it and they lied a good number of times before.

This is depressing. Last gen has been bad and this isn't any different :(

The video below shows the game in a better light.

https://youtu.be/kMJPyfFaJl8

spwolf

Few weeks from release date and no list of licensed clubs.

At least there will be a demo, so I will have time to cancel the pre order if it disappoints me. Havent played a PES since the 2012 (?), and never really enjoyed fifa as mich as the older PESs.

if you have not played PES since 2012, sit down, relax and wait for the demo...

LAM09

Will this be multiple clubs in a single file, or each club individually?

I'm not entirely sure how it will work on 2017. I think it will be similar to 2016 in the fact that each kit will have to be applied individually, but it should only take a click of a few buttons instead of a few minutes per kit. A lot will hinge on the edit data implementation.

ty_hot

Oh, ok, so they are still announcing the other leagues.

I cant not have my BR teams in a football game :D over reacted a little bit (maybe it's because this was the first game I've preordered)

How is the online mode in the last few PES? I don't care about leagues, coop or stuff like that, I only care if the connection is good and that I won't be frustrated playing online (even though I prefer to play offline multiplayer, online must be decent at least in 2016).

if you have not played PES since 2012, sit down, relax and wait for the demo...

I tried on the PC some newer versions but the performance was worst than Fifa...

Sweep14

I'm not entirely sure how it will work on 2017. I think it will be similar to 2016 in the fact that each kit will have to be applied individually, but it should only take a click of a few buttons instead of a few minutes per kit. A lot will hinge on the edit data implementation.

Here below, the full edit options for PES 2017 :

EDIT STRIP

Changing Resolution for Imported Images(Only PS4®)
With the improvement now allowing to change the resolution of the images you can read more images than the limited amount in the past.
(e.g. Change the 2048 x 2048 resolution to 1024 x 1024, and you can add up to 1000 patterns for kits)

Markings
Adjust where you want to show the player's name and squad number (front, back, and shorts).

Collars
Collar types increased from 4 to 13.

Base Colour
You can change the base colours of your marked kits for those you have imported. This will change your colours of inners and your radar.

EDIT TEAM

Commentary City Name
Many new commentary city names have been added.
You can also edit your commentary team name in myClub (You can also choose "None") .

Setting Team Colour
Separately choose your team colour and the base colour of your kits.
Your team colour will determine the colour of the goal nets, the hoardings, and how your fans dress.

Batch Import for Team Data (Only for PS4®)
Import all your edited kits and player data in a batch on your USB flash memory. Select your team and apply the data you choose.
*Access to PSN is required to import images.

HOME STADIUM SETTINGS

Stadium Images(Only PS4®)
Change and set your imported home stadium image to your own.
Your image will be displayed on the MATCH MENU.

Goal and Net
Choose from 2 to 5 poles for the goal shape,
and square and hexagon types for the net shape.

EDIT PLAYER

Edit Youth Team Player
Edit Youth Team players from the European, South American, and Asian club teams that appear when you start MASTER LEAGUE (You can only edit players).

EDIT MANAGER

Manager Transfer
You can now freely edit managers that can be now transferred to other teams.

How to Import Data(Only PS4®)
Data from a folder on your USB flash memory that includes WEPES in its name will be imported.
Files which meet the following conditions can be loaded:
Resolution: 64x64 - 2048x2048 pixels.
Format: JPEG; PNG

Import Image(Only PS4®)
Strip (L) 2048×2048
Strip (S) 1024×1024
Team Emblems 256×256
Competition Emblems 256×256
Manager Photo 256×256
Stadium 1024×512

longdi

Banned
Something about the players' motions looks off, the way they starts, stops and zips about. The timings and the flow the match is very unnatural.

it is pretty clear that PES is better game :)
No it really isn't. Pes 2016 was hot arcade garbage with 0 gameplay depth but it was perfect for casual soccer fans who didn't really know much about the sport. There is not even one category in which pes is better than fifa and it's been that way since pes 2014. Fifa has better animations, better graphics(subjective), better ball physics, better goalkeepers, better ain, more gameplay depth, better mode depth, better online, more teams, better presentation, better commentary, etc.

Pes 2016 was not even better than fifa 13 so to expect pes 2017 to be better than fifa 17 is just a joke. Minor improvements have been made to Pes 2017 and the biggest improvement is the goalkeepers. The ball physics are still linear, the players still look like they are ice skating on the field, the shot trajectories are still lacking, etc. There's a long way for pes to go before it becomes a viable alternative to fifa.

RaginRoss

No it really isn't. Pes 2016 was hot arcade garbage with 0 gameplay depth but it was perfect for casual soccer fans who didn't really know much about the sport. There is not even one category in which pes is better than fifa and it's been that way since pes 2014. Fifa has better animations, better graphics(subjective), better ball physics, better goalkeepers, better ain, more gameplay depth, better mode depth, better online, more teams, better presentation, better commentary, etc.

Pes 2016 was not even better than fifa 13 so to expect pes 2017 to be better than fifa 17 is just a joke. Minor improvements have been made to Pes 2017 and the biggest improvement is the goalkeepers. The ball physics are still linear, the players still look like they are ice skating on the field, the shot trajectories are still lacking, etc. There's a long way for pes to go before it becomes a viable alternative to fifa.

image.php

Played 3 matches of the demo before work this morning on the Xbox One version. Really liked the feel of it. Will put more time in tonight.

Is it? Why?

I have watched it, and I've bought it every year too, and still think FIFA is the better game. The keepers still don't look great to me, and still look too 'floaty'. They are my single biggest issue with the last game.

I'm not touching PES17 until its been out a few weeks, which is when the reliable impressions start to come in,. A couple of gameplay vids don't really tell me too much, and certainly don't convince me that all of the issues are fixed.

PES has closed the gap, but the gap still remains for me. Like you say, which is best is personal preference, but every year we seem to get really positive initial impressions of PES. I haven't played PES 2017 yet, but I have played FIFA 17 and it plays much better than last years game, so PES 2017 needs to be a considerable improvement to convince me.

Your opinion just flew out the window.
Based on what, the compelling argument you put forward? What a joke post. From a technical perspective, pes 2016 is still lagging behind fifa 13. The ball physics in fifa 13 are far more varied, fifa 13 has more modes, it has more mode depth, the keepers are better and they animate better, there are far more teams, the online play was better and more consistent, the right analog stick dribbling was responsive in a 1 to 1 manner compared to pes and the gameplay had more depth.

image.php

Played 3 matches of the demo before work this morning on the Xbox One version. Really liked the feel of it. Will put more time in tonight.
Yet another joke post. Rubbish non argument post with 0 compelling points. Arguing for a game where all players dribbled at the same speed despite a difference in ratings. There are lots of videos on YouTube to support my claims. Even the black balls in myclub aren't programmed correctly and you can get a black ball every time because they can't program random correctly. The refs couldn't even call fouls correctly because their collision detection implementation was so poor. Truly a joke post.

RaginRoss

do referee's exist? do keepers still find it impossible to save at the near post?

Will do some more in-depth testing of the keepers later, wouldn't have expected them to save any of the goals I saw in the games I played, but 3 games isn't exactly a great sample.

Same with the refs really. No obvious fouls missed, had a few for pretty minor things.

Will do some more in-depth testing of the keepers later, wouldn't have expected them to save any of the goals I saw in the games I played, but 3 games isn't exactly a great sample.

Same with the refs really. No obvious fouls missed, had a few for pretty minor things.

cheers, hopefully they're better than last year. I swore off getting PES again, but I'm feeling the pull.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Gonna check it out now. Been playing the FIFA 17 beta loads and really enjoying it more than 16.

I just wish XB1 could get custom kits like PS4.

blacklotus

No problem people prefering and liking Pes more.

But from a technical stand point? PES has been really bad (with some versions being downright a joke) for years now and FIFA has surpassed it since 09.

Licenses mean shit to me. All it counts is gameplay. And the amount of freedom you have on FIFA is "ten times more" to what you have with PES.

I wish 2K would buy the Pes license and redo the game, so we could have a real competitor for FIFA.
I'd switch in a heart beat if quality wise PES was better.

In work for the next while, but then again I loved the PES16 demo and that game was letdown after letdown.

You loved the PES 16 DEMO because for the first time in a few years you had a product of a license you love that was actually a game.

The years before you were left with an unfinished product that was totally mediocre.

Btw: there was an article on EDGE a few years back from a visit to to Konami and the PES team that they did. The article and interviews were quite detailed and explain why PES won't ever be great again if it stays at Konami.

In work for the next while, but then again I loved the PES16 demo and that game was letdown after letdown.
Oh, well what was your primary issue with pes 2016? When I tried the demo last year, it took me 3 games to recognize that it was shallow. By the 3rd game, I'd figured out that the goalkeepers were broken and it was already getting repetitive. I later went to a friend's house and we played versus and we didn't get a throw in till like the 4th game we played. It was just bad.

Oh, well what was your primary issue with pes 2016? When I tried the demo last year, it took me 3 games to recognize that it was shallow. By the 3rd game, I'd figured out that the goalkeepers were broken and it was already getting repetitive. I later went to a friend's house and we played versus and we didn't get a throw in till like the 4th game we played. It was just bad.

referee's and keepers. referee's didn't exist and keeper's were horribly broken.

But from a technical stand point? PES has been really bad (with some versions being downright a joke) for years now and FIFA has surpassed it since 09.

Licenses mean shit to me. All it counts is gameplay. And the amount of freedom you have on FIFA is "ten times more" to what you have with PES.

I wish 2K would buy the Pes license and redo the game, so we could have a real competitor for FIFA.
Yep this. If you prefer one to the other, that is fine. To say that pes is better than fifa at this point in time is factually incorrect. We can compare both games from a technical perspective and it's really not even close.

referee's and keepers. referee's didn't exist and keeper's were horribly broken.
If those were your biggest issues then they've been "fixed". Keepers look to be more solid from the videos I've watched and refs do give more fouls. There is some single player video out there and the ai is still somewhat passive. The defensive ai looks good but the attacking ai is poor.

cLOUDo

last year PES was way better than FIFA, even the reviews says so
just go to metacritic and see the overal scores

still PES suck in many aspects

Justified

You loved the PES 16 DEMO because for the first time in a few years you had a product of a license you love that was actually a game.

The years before you were left with an unfinished product that was totally mediocre.

Btw: there was an article on EDGE a few years back from a visit to to Konami and the PES team that they did. The article and interviews were quite detailed and explain why PES won't ever be great again if it stays at Konami.

Big 2K sports player here, and if one of your complaints is the amount of freedom, you dont want Visual Concepts as the dev. Their system is heavily animation based.

JMZ555

I have not bought Fifa the last two years. My mate buys Fifa each year and I play it with him. I stopped buying it as felt gameplay wise I just wasn't finding it that fun anymore.

I got the new PES demo on download and looking forward to trying it, from videos it seems really good. I switched from PES to FIFA many many years ago....could this be return of the king...

I have not bought Fifa the last two years. My mate buys Fifa each year and I play it with him. I stopped buying it as felt gameplay wise I just wasn't finding it that fun anymore.

I got the new PES demo on download and looking forward to trying it, from videos it seems really good. I switched from PES to FIFA many many years ago....could this be return of the king...
Nope, pes 4-6 was technically superior to it's competition and this is not the case with pes 2017 so nope.

Er, the games aren't even out yet...
The gameplay videos are out and the ball physics are still rather linear, foot planting is non existent, collision physics are still rather basic, the animation branching and complexity is still lacking compared to fifa. Something as basic as snow is still not present. Technical competence is something that comes across very clearly in gameplay videos.

Fifa has pitch deformation that is procedural. I was recently watching fifa 17 beta gameplay and close to the end of the first half, there was a slide tackle close to the center circle that left a slide mark on the field. At the end of the game that mark was still visible along with newer stud patterns layered over it.

When it comes to technical proficiency, pes isn't even close. Most of the time, they use linear "hack job" solutions instead of building systems that interact with each other. It's why you can have something as basic as a ratings system failing to work for all ratings.

Top Bottom