• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Platinum Games Title - Vanquish (Mikami TPS, PS3/360, Winter 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robor

Bel Marduk said:
Mikami x Matsuno RPG Believe.

BANNINATE this son of a bitch! ; P

But seriously, what could Platinum Games be possibly counting down for? Shinji Mikami's project of course. It has to be.

raviolico

...so, detectiveGAF, besides the timer:
is the countdown page just a fancy, flashy interactive rotation thing
or gives it clues/hints or whatever?

imail

raviolico said:
...so, detectiveGAF, besides the timer:
is the countdown page just a fancy, flashy interactive rotation thing
or gives it clues/hints or whatever?

I'm trying to decode it but looks like it's gonna take forever. I guess it's much easier to wait.

raviolico

imail said:
I'm trying to decode it but looks like it's gonna take forever. I guess it's much easier to wait.

ok. my beloved game-countdown-letdown-waiting game begins again.
happy new year!

imail

After trying for less than 30 minutes to decode it, I can say if there are any hidden clues they won't be easy to find.

BTW haven't they already announced Mad World for PS360 ? or was that my imagination ?

raviolico

imail said:
After trying for less than 30 minutes to decode it, I can say if there are any hidden clues they won't be easy to find.

BTW haven't they already announced Mad World for PS360 ? or was that my imagination ?

sorry, this. it´s something Mikami-related i bet.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the idea of 'hating' a countdown has always been stupid to me.

'hey guys, in a week's time we will be unveiling a new project!' is okay, but 'hey guys, in a week's time, we will be unveiling a new project, and we're putting a ticking timer on our site so you know exactly when to check!' isn't?

I must be missing something.

Gaf should have its own countdown. A reverse countdown that challenges game publishers to announce something good when it hits zero.

I'm serious.

raviolico

Dascu said:
THE RITUALIST

About bloody time. I wouldn't be opposed to a sequel to MadWorld though.

yeah, those "Ritualist" rumors are floating around for a while.
from the titel it sound very...uhm..."Survival Horror"....

[Nintex]

MIKAMIII

After Kamiya showed Kobayashi how to make a real action game it is time for Shinji Mikami to show that Jun Takeuchi hacker how to build a survival horror game.

Korey

Wolves Evolve said:
Gaf should have its own countdown. A reverse countdown that challenges game publishers to announce something good when it hits zero.

I'm serious.
This would actually be awesome. Even if it weren't GAF and it were some other site, it would give some developer out there some good publicity if it were a good enough announcement.

jRPG

Considering their output as a studio so far, I'm expecting whatever is announced to be at the very least, stylish and outrageously fun. I can't wait. I have to agree with the general consensus I'm expecting a Survival Horror game.

Dascu

Well it's either Mikami's new game (The Ritualist) or something by the MadWorld team (new game? MW sequel? MW HD?). Unless of course the MadWorld team is now working for Mikami.

JoeFenix

I'm hoping they light a fire under capcom's ass so we can get a badass dev rivalry going on.

Capcom and Platinum trying to outdo each other could end up being glorious!

I'm gonna say something that may be an unpopular sentiment but needs to be said:

I really hope they find a way to blend their obvious knack for interesting gameplay mechanics and design idea with a more mainstream friendly aesthetic as this is part of the reason their games have underperformed imho (I fear for Bayoneta tbh).
If they can do a mainstream friendly game every other try it will be better for both them and SEGA in the long run.

raviolico

LazerRanger said:
I'm gonna say something that may be an unpopular sentiment but needs to be said:

I really hope they find a way to blend their obvious knack for interesting gameplay mechanics and design idea with a more mainstream friendly aesthetic as this is part of the reason their games have underperformed imho (I fear for Bayoneta tbh).
If they can do a mainstream friendly game every other try it will be better for both them and SEGA in the long run.

i have to agree. sad but true.
but i`m sure they are aware of that.
at least SEGA will tell them...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
LazerRanger said:

Depending on Bayonetta's sales, which I predict will underperform in the West, Platinum could be Clover all over again literally. MadWorld bombed (but I enjoyed it and would bigger love a sequel), and Bayonetta is obviously a far more expensive venture. I think Infinite Space did well in Japan, dont know for sure, but I predict it will bomb in the West.

If Beyonetta fails that will be three titles, all of which pretty well recieved by critics, that underperformed.

So yeah, unless they've got some mystery awesome funding or Bayonetta goes above expectations, they probably need a more 'standard' title.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Raxus said:
The way you guys make it sounds Mikami is going to ascend to the heavens by the time the countdown hits 0.

Is this a next-gen Ghost Sweeper Mikami game? That would be awesome.

EatChildren said:
Depending on Bayonetta's sales, which I predict will underperform in the West, Platinum could be Clover all over again literally. MadWorld bombed (but I enjoyed it and would bigger love a sequel), and Bayonetta is obviously a far more expensive venture. I think Infinite Space did well in Japan, dont know for sure, but I predict it will bomb in the West.

If Beyonetta fails that will be three titles, all of which pretty well recieved by critics, that underperformed.

So yeah, unless they've got some mystery awesome funding or Bayonetta goes above expectations, they probably need a more 'standard' title.

Hmm, Sega said MW sales weren't that good at first but then latest we've heard they said it sold well. I agree though Bayonetta and Infinite Space (don't care for MW/Bayonneta much, but I want Infinite Space since it seems like a quality RPG) will underperform :( Infinite Space releases in March - it's gonna get drowned so badly and there isn't much hype to begin with. If they released it on the Wii instead or something I bet it'd get more attention...but it's too late for that now. It sold 58k in Japan according to garaph.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bel Marduk said:
Hmm, Sega said MW sales weren't that good at first but then latest we've heard they said it sold well.

I thought the stance was always that it underperformed, and that the recent SEGA ramblings said they didn't know why but were still commited to bringing 'mature' titles to the Wii and seeing where they could improve.

Overkill had sales they were happy with.

I'd really love a MadWorld sequel that has had more time and money thrown into it so it feels less rushed, has more variety, and lasts longer. It's a fun game with a pretty solid concept, and is certainly one of the nicer looking Wii games. I'm chalking it up there though as a game that will never see a sequel on the Wii.

Rad-

TheOddOne said:
Where the hell is he by the way. He seems to have disappeared

His new game has been in development for about 1½ years now. So I think 2011 would be a good guess for its release.

EatChildren said:
I thought the stance was always that it underperformed, and that the recent SEGA ramblings said they didn't know why but were still commited to bringing 'mature' titles to the Wii and seeing where they could improve.

Overkill had sales they were happy with.

I'd really love a MadWorld sequel that has had more time and money thrown into it so it feels less rushed, has more variety, and lasts longer. It's a fun game with a pretty solid concept, and is certainly one of the nicer looking Wii games. I'm chalking it up there though as a game that will never see a sequel on the Wii.

In this interview they said it sold well enough.

Q: What about games like MadWorld? That was a very stylish, innovative cult title, praised by critics and core gamers - but at the end of the day, did it sell enough copies?

John Clark: I go back to what I said about the entrepreneurial spirit of SEGA. We're prepared to have a go and try to be innovative, and we want to crack core gaming. We've spent a lot of time thinking there must be a way to release mature, more adult content on the Wii format.

House of the Dead performed really well. Was that because it was mature or because it was an arcade title? You might lean towards the SEGA IP and the affiliation with Nintendo, but we matured that up by bringing out House of the Dead Overkill, and made it more of a core game.

At the same time we entered into an exciting partnership with Platinum Games, the first result of which was MadWorld - a fantastic, innovative, original game, no doubt about it.
Q: But did it sell well enough?

John Clark: It sold well enough to position SEGA as a company that's prepared to invest in high quality, new IP.

raviolico

It sold well enough to position SEGA as a company that's prepared to invest in high quality, new IP.

20pijm.jpg

srly, what do you expect him to say...?

shuyin_

Banned
LazerRanger said:
Would love it if this was the Mikami/Suda game or if they actually did get back the Viewtiful Joe license to play with :)
It can't be the Mikami/Suda game because that's not a Platinum Game.
It's The Sega/Platinum 4th game, the one directed by Mikami.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
a countdown to annouce that Vietiful Joe 3 is coming summer 2010 for Wii/360/ps3

failing that The Release of infinite space to western markets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom