• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Platinum Games Title - Vanquish (Mikami TPS, PS3/360, Winter 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TTP said:
23k4x9i.jpg

Oh shit:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol .

Anyways this looks AWESOME and I really can't wait to see more!

Nizz

I read the article and I didn't see it, but are Platinum Games working on the PS3 version themselves? Or will it be ported by Sega?

TreIII

Neiteio said:
I really like Mikami's decision to use robots for bullet fodder, for players who feel uncomfortable shooting humans. Don't underestimate the appeal of this -- all the thrill of destruction with no cringe-worhy clash of conscience. :)

Very much agreed.

I mean, I imagine this should only give him free license of possibly being as playful/brutal as he was in God Hand, without having to worry about stricter CERO/ESRB ratings as a result.

Just give me the word that the PS3 port is ALSO destined for greatness, and my hype levels will be back where they're supposed to be. Cry Engine would give me a lot more in the way of confidence.

nilam01

Banned
Is this the japanese version of halo?

hwwh9i.jpg

reachm103rdperson.jpg

The sad thing is it actually looks better than halo reach. God bungie you really need to improve your tech.

nilam01 said:

hwwh9i.jpg

reachm103rdperson.jpg

The sad thing is it actually looks better than halo reach. God bungie you really need to improve your tech.

The game model is just highly detailed.Also Vanquish may not be a open sand box game like reach. That depicts from less concentrated detail on the characters.

Neiteio

TreIII said:
Very much agreed.

I mean, I imagine this should only give him free license of possibly being as playful/brutal as he was in God Hand, without having to worry about stricter CERO/ESRB ratings as a result.

Just give me the word that the PS3 port is ALSO destined for greatness, and my hype levels will be back where they're supposed to be. Cry Engine would give me a lot more in the way of confidence.
Yeah, I'm not getting excited for this unless we receive some guarantee Sega won't make a shitty Bayonetta-style port. I skipped that game on PS3; maybe if I get a 360 someday, I'll finally get to play it.

AAK

Attention all journalists out there: Please harass SEGA until they confirm Platinum games is doing the PS3 port in house!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AAK said:
Attention all journalists out there: Please harass SEGA until they confirm Platinum games is doing the PS3 port in house!

That's not a guarantee of a good port either tho.

BigBoss

Revelations said:
The game model is just highly detailed.Also Vanquish may not be a open sand box game like reach. That depicts from less concentrated detail on the characters.

Reach isn't an open sandbox game either.

TreIII

icarus-daedelus said:
It's not really that bad; I have the PS3 version and I think it plays just fine even with the noted graphical problems. Sure, they definitely could have done BETTER, but considering it's Sega, well, at least they didn't cut any of the Alfheim missions for the US release or something.

It's still a thing that it's a largely unacceptable practice for today's era. Sega has a good share of the blame, but I'd think that such a thing does not reflect well on P* either.

Because in the end, the average joe is not going to care about the "asterisk" that denotes "Port Converted By Sega". And the hardcore gamer, the ones that P* should be courting the most, are definitely not pleased by such things.

So yeah, I'm really hoping that they turn the page on that blemish. Or this is going to be a nasty stigma that they'll carry around for a while longer, yet.

Grayman

Dashing around to use close range attacks sounds fun. When I say TPS I thought generic shooter and had not cared until that point. SPEED SPEED SPEED!

AAK

TTP said:
That's not a guarantee of a good port either tho.

It won`t be as bad as Bayonetta either. At least P+ will have responsibility for it since it has their name on it. If they do a shoddy port, it will reflect upon their brand name, and while I won`t expect a perfect port, we can at least confirm they will exert a little more effort towards it. With Bayo, they had a free alibi by placing all the blame on SEGA.

Aaron

ShockingAlberto said:
The visor is really low on that helmet
It's not a visor. There are screens built into the helmet. That's how the guy sees. He apparently wouldn't be able to operate the suit well with his naked vision.

TreIII said:
It's still a thing that it's a largely unacceptable practice for today's era. Sega has a good share of the blame, but I'd think that such a thing does not reflect well on P* either.

Because in the end, the average joe is not going to care about the "asterisk" that denotes "Port Converted By Sega". And the hardcore gamer, the ones that P* should be courting the most, are definitely not pleased by such things.

So yeah, I'm really hoping that they turn the page on that blemish. Or this is going to be a nasty stigma that they'll carry around for a while longer, yet.

There is no nasty stigma. Hideki Kamiya wanted the game to be exclusive simply because it allowed them to polish the game more. That's always how he's worked. Sega, however, decided to port it, which is perfectly within their legal rights. You have to realize that it was never P* intention that the game come out on PS3. Average Joe won't care about Bayonetta anyway, and hardcore gamers should realize that this is just a publisher trying to add more profit.

jett

D-Member
ConcealedBlaze said:
There is no nasty stigma. Hideki Kamiya wanted the game to be exclusive simply because it allowed them to polish the game more. That's always how he's worked. Sega, however, decided to port it, which is perfectly within their legal rights. You have to realize that it was never P* intention that the game come out on PS3. Average Joe won't care about Bayonetta anyway, and hardcore gamers should realize that this is just a publisher trying to add more profit.

Sega didn't "decide" to port it, the game has always been multiplatform. Sega had to port it themselves because PG are seemingly too fucking poor to afford a couple of PS3 devkits. And the port sucked shit because PG are also seemingly completely fucking clueless about the PS3 architecture, decided to not give a fuck about PS3 owners, and made a game that directly plays against the console's failings.

Frankly I blame both of the parties. What Sega should've done is send a couple of ps3 engineers to work alongside PG and at least fucking inform them that their decisions on the engine would cause serious problems on the eventual port.

was it platinum games that said in retrospect they should have done the PS3 port themselves? or am i confusing with a different company?

i think the screens look great, and im excited by the way they describe what the game is aimed to accomplish. fast action (without being twitch) and an emphasis on robot destruction and combat. im going to safely assume that this game will do the same thing that bayonetta did- trick me into thinking it's going to be so-so or average, and then wowing me when it actually comes out.

jett said:
Sega didn't "decide" to port it, the game has always been multiplatform. Sega had to port it themselves because PG are seemingly too fucking poor to afford a couple of PS3 devkits. And the port sucked shit because PG are also seemingly completely fucking clueless about the PS3 architecture, decided to not give a fuck about PS3 owners, and made a game that directly plays against the console's failings.

Frankly I blame both of the parties. What Sega should've done is send a couple of ps3 engineers to work alongside PG and at least fucking inform them that their decisions on the engine would cause serious problems on the eventual port.

Eh. Guess I heard the wrong thing. I still don't quite understand why it's such a big deal, though.

I guess I'm just used to this by now. I don't know why people make such a big deal out of such things this generation when last generation they happened just as much.

For example, look at Beyond Good & Evil. The GCN port has truncated music and shitty sound; the PC version is a mess; and the PS2 version features slowdown, much worse lighting, crappier effects, lacking water, and a framerate so variable that some areas feel like a completely different game.

And the idea that P* should have built their game differently just so it worked better on PS3 is ridiculous. They designed it with the 360 in mind and then decided to port the final game to the PS3. I'll agree the port was poorly handled, but that's just how it generally works in the industry. I mean, it even happened to Valve (the epitome of an excellent developer).

Kyzer

Banned
WOW WTF this game has caused memories of a dream to resurface that I didn't even remember I had. This is so fucking eerie. And I swear I usually don't have out-of-this-world dreams and this one was a doozie.

goldenpp72

jett said:

Wow shut the fuck up

fuck

fuck fuck fuck

FUCK

Platinum games, a small studio with under 100 employees decided to make games for single platforms and that's wrong? I own madworld and bayonetta, and if this game were ps3 first with 360 being an inferior version, i'd buy it for ps3, I understand platinum is small :/

TreIII

ConcealedBlaze said:
There is no nasty stigma.

Really, now?

I don't think you have to go beyond checking out the likes of GFAQs/Spot, Amazon, GTTV and etc., in order to find a good deal of people who have expressed their gross displeasure with how the PS3 port was handled. And that goes even more so in Japan, where Bayonetta actually sold more on the PS3. And of course, there's always the GAF "...lols", that just occurred a FEW PAGES AGO after PS3/360 status was confirmed.

So yeah, I think there's a good deal to support that BayoPS3 left a bad taste in people's mouths, and now, we have it so a lot of people are going to be a bit more wary of any P* game that involves multiplatform status.

That can't be good thing for a newly established studio to have on their record, who already has to work hard enough to make decent penetration in the market as it is.

You have to realize that it was never P* intention that the game come out on PS3.

Oh sure, I realize that. My question merely is: does that just give them a "free pass", all the same?

So it was out of their hands about whether or not a game may have been ported to another console beyond what they chose. Too bad, so sad. That's the kind price you may have to "pay", when you get into bed with a partner who's working on your behalf as a publisher.

In the end, though, it's still your name on that version of product all the same, and does a lot to represent you.

If the likes of Sega themselves or Capcom don't get cut "breaks" for things like this on a regular basis, why should "Inaba and dem" be exempt from such?

I love them and I ended up loving PS3-netta, too. All the same though, I'm not willing to look the other way, either. And so for their sake, I'm hoping for the best this time around.

jett

D-Member
goldenpp72 said:
Wow shut the fuck up

fuck

fuck fuck fuck

FUCK

Platinum games, a small studio with under 100 employees decided to make games for single platforms and that's wrong? I own madworld and bayonetta, and if this game were ps3 first with 360 being an inferior version, i'd buy it for ps3, I understand platinum is small :/

I understand that, but it could've been handled better by both parties. Again, Sega was funding the freaking thing, they could've sent help, and PG could've asked for it. But Sega didn't, and PG didn't care. *shrug* We'll see how Vanquish is handled this time, but I don't expect anything better.

It just annoys me when people paint PG as a victim in the matter Bayonetta's ps3 port. fuck that. Protip: Bayonetta was announced as a PS360 "multiplatform" game 18 months before its release.

Ehh..I'd have to see it in motion to get hyped for this honestly.
It looks like Mikamis take on Gears of War (returning the favor, as Gears was Cliffys take on RE4)..but with a surprisingly generic aesthetic.

nilam01 said:

I love how there was no point to you 'asking' if this was a japanese version of Halo, except to set up a troll attempt with the worst (coincidentally the only bad) Halo Reach screenshot released to date amongst a sea of good screens and more importantly, phenomenal footage.

jett said:
I understand that, but it could've been handled better by both parties. Again, Sega was funding the freaking thing, they could've sent help, and PG could've asked for it. But Sega didn't, and PG didn't care. *shrug* We'll see how Vanquish is handled this time, but I don't expect anything better.

It just annoys me when people paint PG as a victim in the matter Bayonetta's ps3 port. fuck that. Protip: Bayonetta was announced as a PS360 "multiplatform" game 18 months before its release.

It's actually not Sega's fault at all the Bayonetta port is as awful as it is, it's actually Platinum's fault for building a game that really pushed the 360's architectural strengths. A PS3 version was fucked from the get go.

goldenpp72

Arpharmd B said:
It's actually not Sega's fault at all the Bayonetta port is as awful as it is, it's actually Platinum's fault for building a game that really pushed the 360's architectural strengths. A PS3 version was fucked from the get go.

So basically, MGS4 and the likes should never have been designed to function best on a platform just in case?

We should be happy that a definitive, amazing version of bayonetta simply exist.

jett said:

It's actually P* and Kamiya's fault, not Sega's, that Bayonetta PS3 is so awful. Bayonetta was programmed almost like a 360 exclusive, and really pushed the unique strengths of the platform. This is why the port is as bad as it is, PS3 version was fucked from the get go.

Not that I blame P* of course.

I totally expect the non-lead platform to get fucked here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom