• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokémon game to be announced in May [Arcade Game Announced, Maybe Not The Same]

-Eddman-

Most likely: Pokémon Grey with some enhancements for 3DS but still compatible with DS (is this still possible? I'm not that informed about 3DS tech)

My fanboy dream: Pokémon Snap sequel for 3DS with lots of courses and every pokemon in 3D.

rpmurphy

My bet is on Mystery Dungeon. Unless Chunsoft was working on something other than Zombie Daisuki, a new PMD for the 3DS would make sense.

Neiteio

I'll throw my bet in with Pokemon Battle Revolution 2 (or the equivalent thereof). A Stadium-style sim with the 150+ new Pokemon from Black and White rendered in 3D would be a quick, surefire way to sell a lot of Wii games in the system's twilight years. They also need a little more breathing room for Black and White before Grey comes out.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why would you do that? said:
If it were coming out in September, wouldn't have it been announced already? I don't remember exactly when the other games were announced, but I'm pretty sure both HG/SS and Black/White were both announced in March on Pokemon Sunday.

They were announced in April. But you know, earthquake and all that.

Pokemon Gray 3DS. Fully 3D, shows off how the next gen will look, has AR battles. First gonna be revealed at Iwata's thing next week (I believe we first heard about Pokemon BW from this thing last year)

Could explain why they took out some features we knew about like out-fits changing with the seasons I guess (I also remember people posting gender-difference shots from Mag-scans. WTF happened to gender differences? IDK. Maybe they just wanted to pump Gray up with more "new content" by holding back some features)

EDIT- Oh yeah, and Iwata already confirmed that they were working on a 3DS Pokemon last year. So yeah, w/e it is is gonna be 3DS IMO.

Zertez

It seems a little early to announce "Gray". With the sales Black and White are still pulling in, it seems crazy to pull the plug this early and release a game that will hurt it sales. Well maybe if they are worried about the 3DS sales and they feel the need to have a Pokemon game on the 3DS.

TheOGB

Banned
If this is a mainline game, I'd expect DS-compatible, 3DS-enhanced Ruby/Sapphire remakes followed by 3DS-exclusive Gray. The remakes could even be 3DS exclusive, and be used to segue audiences over to 3DS before going balls-to-the-wall-all-out for
BW's sequel of sorts:
Gray. It'd be like a FRLG -> Emerald sort of deal.

But if they call it Plasma then it should have a huge thing on Team Plasma, with a solid, kickass conclusion. BECAUSE I SAY SO

Arooguy

I want to see 2 Pokemon games. A Pokemon MMO for Wii 2, becoming the best trainer, capturing Pokemon in a huge open world, battling and trading with other people that you encounter. I would also love to see a Pokemon 3DS with StreetPass. It seems so perfect passing by someone with a 3DS and battling their Pokemon later and getting items when you pass. Also, Pokemon 3DS should have an AR card packed in.

SmithnCo

Black-Wind said:
Pokemon Gray 3DS. Fully 3D, shows off how the next gen will look, has AR battles. First gonna be revealed at Iwata's thing next week (I believe we first heard about Pokemon BW from this thing last year)

AR battles would be awesome, the game could come with two AR cards, one for your side and one for the opponent's. Do it Nintendo.

larvi

Hoping for a Pokemon Box type program for the 5th gen or a Studium/Colosseum type game with box functionality built in. No way I have enough storage with the advent of the unique dream world pokemon abilities.

But I'm expecting some sort of crappy Dash like game to cash in on the 3DS.

Would look forward to Pokemon Grey, new Mystery dungeon, new pinball, new trading card game or new console RPG like XD.

Anth0ny

Judging from last gen, we'll probably get Grey now. Most likely a 3DS exclusive.

Then, a few months after Grey is released in North America, we'll get the Ruby/Sapphire remakes announcement =)

Foxix said:
I would LOVE a new pokemon TCG videogame. I was SUPER addicted to the original gameboy one back in the day.

I would buy it at a high price!. I clocked like 90 hours in that game, was fantastic. I <3 card games and the new yugioh ones have sucked.

Roto13

Every time the scent of a new Pokemon game is in the air, people start clamoring for an MMO. It gets old, really.

DarkWish

Iwata confirmed Pokemon games were in development for Wii and 3DS. Considering Wii's lifetime is slowly winding down, I'd have to guess this is a Wii game. I think it's Pokemon Battle Revolution 2 with Pokemon Black/White support.

And then I think in a few months time, they'll announce Pokemon Grey for the 3DS.

But I'm hoping we eventually get a Pokemon Snap, Pokemon TCG, and even a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon for the 3DS. All of those would be amazing.

Most likely Pokemon Stadium like game for the 5th generation. I kinda enjoy those kinda games, and here's hoping a new one will have a Colosseum/XD like story mode.
just with something besides shadow Pokemon this time.

PokéKong

Although I desperately want Grey as soon as possible, as I decided to skip B&W in favor of waiting for it, sadly I really don't think they could announce it this soon, it would absolutely kill any further sales of B&W.
Another Colosseum type game would be the safest bet. RPG elements or some other new addition to the Stadium series is essential, since they released Battle Revolution as an "as is" straight up Stadium battling game and was one of the worst selling titles in the whole series.

Balb

DarkWish said:
Iwata confirmed Pokemon games were in development for Wii and 3DS. Considering Wii's lifetime is slowly winding down, I'd have to guess this is a Wii game. I think it's Pokemon Battle Revolution 2 with Pokemon Black/White support.

And then I think in a few months time, they'll announce Pokemon Grey for the 3DS.

But I'm hoping we eventually get a Pokemon Snap, Pokemon TCG, and even a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon for the 3DS. All of those would be amazing.

I'd be on board for a new Pokemon Battle Revolution as long as it isn't as lackluster as the first one. The graphics were pretty good, but everything else was terribly underwhelming. The least they could do is match Pokemon Stadium 2 in features.

Hex

Banned
Pokemon Black/White has blatant framework for 3DS support all over it.
I still think it may be too early, but this is only an announcement so it could be the grey/chrome.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Hex said:
Pokemon Black/White has blatant framework for 3DS support all over it.
I still think it may be too early, but this is only an announcement so it could be the grey/chrome.

Yeah the C-Gear is clearly trying to lay the groundwork for Street/SpotPass. There will definitely be 3DS features to the 3rd 5th gen game.

Ushojax said:
Yeah the C-Gear is clearly trying to lay the groundwork for Street/SpotPass. There will definitely be 3DS features to the 3rd 5th gen game.
That means it would be a 3DS game.

Seems that you can't give DS games 3DS features.

Firestorm

DarkWish said:

When was this? Haven't been paying attention.

Taichu

What if the next Colosseum/Battle Revolution game is on the 3DS? You already sync your existing save file in B/W through Global Link... Colosseum 3DS could download that file and let you choose your Pokemon from your boxes. 3D Pokemon battles would be pretty sweet.

Fou-Lu

Taichu said:
What if the next Colosseum/Battle Revolution game is on the 3DS? You already sync your existing save file in B/W through Global Link... Colosseum 3DS could download that file and let you choose your Pokemon from your boxes. 3D Pokemon battles would be pretty sweet.

Why are you grouping Colosseum with Battle Revolution?

Colosseum was great and I'd gladly buy a 3DS game in that style.

Battle Revolution was a failure to its Pokemon Stadium roots.

Roto13 said:
Every time the scent of a new Pokemon game is in the air, people start clamoring for an MMO. It gets old, really.
Just like how every time people mention a Pokemon MMO someone comes out and says how old it's getting that people are mentioning a Pokemon MMO.

It's a vicious cycle.

Taichu

Ichor said:
Why are you grouping Colosseum with Battle Revolution?

Colosseum was great and I'd gladly buy a 3DS game in that style.

Battle Revolution was a failure to its Pokemon Stadium roots.
I just lump in Stadium/Colosseum/Battle Rev together as console-companion games.

Remember though, Colosseum was a failure before Battle Rev was a failure. Total downgrade from the Stadium games. No storage box (sold separately), no Doduo/Dodrio modes, no gym leader castle, no daily mystery gift, no minigames, etc. The RPG was okay, but nothing special.

DarkWish

Firestorm said:
When was this? Haven't been paying attention.
At the last investor briefing at the end of January, Iwata said, "We are also developing Pokémon related products on the Wii and 3DS." He didn't give any details though and said, "We will gradually over time inform you of them."

A real-time Pokemon game sounds okay for a spin-off.

But to me it's like asking for a true sequel to Chrono Trigger oh but this time could you make sure it plays like a combination of Enslaved and Devil May Cry 3?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Way too damn early for a Gray, at least in the US anyways. Cut us some slack Nintendo we just got the game a month or so ago.

Now if it was a Ruby/Saph remake for 3DS I can live with that considering I skipped them before.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
There is almost zero chance that this isn't Gray.

Although I wish it was a new Mystery Dungeon game. I wonder if they weren't financially successful?

btkadams

Showmeyamoves said:
Way too damn early for a Gray, at least in the US anyways. Cut us some slack Nintendo we just got the game a month or so ago.

Now if it was a Ruby/Saph remake for 3DS I can live with that considering I skipped them before.
even if it was grey, it wouldn't come out here for another year anyways.

Pre

Too soon for the inevitable Gen III remakes, I'm calling either Gray (possibly a 3DS version) or a console battle title.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ruby and Sapphire were remade for 3DS. For one, it would definitely be the one game that needed a remake in the first place (save for FR/LG, which needed a remake for reasons involving being dated rather than being bad). And for another, I could totally see online play fitting in well without having to force them to change its selection of Pokémon. Additionally, it might fit in well since B/W was also known for its unique selection of Pokémon.

Cocopjojo said:
There is almost zero chance that this isn't Gray.

Although I wish it was a new Mystery Dungeon game. I wonder if they weren't financially successful?

I can't see it happening. They JUST said that there would never be a third game for B/W, and no matter how wishy washy developers can be, it's far too soon for Nintendo to go back on what they say.

And the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon titles are definitely the most popular MD titles worldwide, and I think all versions of both games sold well.

Wichu

A Link to the Snitch said:
I can't see it happening. They JUST said that there would never be a third game for B/W, and no matter how wishy washy developers can be, it's far too soon for Nintendo to go back on what they say.
I believe Masuda specifically denied this in an interview. Grey is coming, just not yet (IMO). I know I've already said this, but I'm expecting a Colosseum-type shadow Pokémon game. The majority of Pokémon in B/W got alternate abilities; for the 1st to 4th gen Pokémon, these are available through the Dream World website. However, the 5th gen Pokémon don't have overworld sprites coded into B/W, meaning it would be impossible for the alternate ability versions to be released through the Dream World. Just as how Colosseum made the Johto Pokémon available, and XD introduced special moves for many Pokémon, a Wii game with a story mode could make the 5th gen alternate ability Pokémon, such as Mold Breaker Excadrill and Shadow Tag Chandelure, available as shadow Pokémon.

I wish they would make a Pokemon sidescroller, since after the sales failure of Drill Dozer I doubt they will get the chance to make another one if it's not Pokemon related.

That or Pokemon Snap 2.

Wichu said:
I believe Masuda specifically denied this in an interview. .
I believe he said something like "Ha ha, I don't remember ever saying that. :D" when asked about it (he is right, the women sitting next to him was the one who said it. Strange that the reporter didn't ask her)

But w/e.
As for the game it seems that this Mag is a DS/ 3DS mag. Either that or it's CC, IDK, forgot where the scan came from. :/

Top Bottom