• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS Vita LCD screen 'not inferior to OLED', insists Sony

They're not 'exactly' misdirecting potential buyers. Yes, the S-AMOLED in the OG Vita has an advantage in vibrance, motion accuracy and dynamic contrast, but the IPS/PLS/S-LCD/whatever in the new Vita has more accurate colors, no blue led death syndrome, no greenscreening a.k.a. 'mura' effect, no color degradation over time, less image wash-out in bright natural light etc. So, if we were to add each one's advantages and subtract its faults, the end result is very close to a balance.

Its to early to day the lcd doesn't have these shortcomings, look at the psp 3000 screen problems, I fully expect the new lcd to have some display issues, no display technology in a mass market consumer device is infallible.

fijim

Banned
Yeah people need to chill out about this. A quality IPS LCD is going to be just as good in terms of real world performance. You won't notice a difference unless you put them side by side in a dark room and compare black levels. OLED does have better response time/input lag as well, which is important in games. But there are plenty of LCDs with less than 1 frame of input lag when gaming. Unless you are competing at EVO or some Counter-Strike league finals you will be fine.

I hope we get more details on what panel they are using.

A good LCD screen is fine. Plus no burn in or that nasty MURA effect (black stains).

I'll give you the black stains, but I haven't seen a hint of burn in in my launch Vita and I use it A LOT everyday (it's almost my only gaming platform). I think burn in fears, much like in modern plasmas are greatly exaggerated.

Nikodemos

Its to early to day the lcd doesn't have these shortcomings, look at the psp 3000 screen problems, I fully expect the new lcd to have some display issues, no display technology in a mass market consumer device is infallible.
Indeed.

However, I was speaking generally about the differences between OLED and contemporary LCD tech, not specifically about the NuVita's panel (which - at least from what videos have surfaced as of yet - appears at least superficially to be near the higher end of the LCD quality spectrum).

fertygo

PSP and PS1 games will look like garbage on the new Vita's.

The OLED screen does an amazing job of smoothing the jaggies and overall image quality of older games, even though they're being blown up to fill the screen's higher resolution. The LCD will accentuate them.

PSX game looks fine on PSP

I don't mind the screen tech that much. It will help in brighter areas, and that's good.

My problem is that, right now, it looks like a cheap mock-up. Like a Tablet inserted into a cradle. Why the hell isn't the whole thing a single block like the original Vita?! WHY FFS?!

Xfv.jpg

It looks like this:

HIDEOUS!

Jack cw

The OLED screen does an amazing job of smoothing the jaggies and overall image quality of older games, even though they're being blown up to fill the screen's higher resolution. The LCD will accentuate them.
LOL that hyperbole. Its not just the OLED that makes the picture quality decent but the tech inside the Vita. Scaling is a thing that is more dependent on software and processing power than the mere screen. Its a combination of both and the LCD inside the new vita will be just fine with any resolution.

I'll give you the black stains, but I haven't seen a hint of burn in in my launch Vita and I use it A LOT everyday (it's almost my only gaming platform). I think burn in fears, much like in modern plasmas are greatly exaggerated.

unfortunately that's what everyone says til it happens to them

I think the greater factor here in the reduction of jaggies is the texture filtering, and not the OLED display.

jiggles

Banned
Has there been any word on the response time of the LCD panel in the new Vita? That's a bigger concern than contrast and brightness, given PSP's failings in the area. Those motion trails, man.

Trogdor1123

They should have stated that there was advantages to LCD like lower cost and what not and said they both have their own strengths... thats just me though.

Frillen

You've been saying a lot of good things since the PS4 reveal in February Sony, but this comment was a step back. Just flat out lying.

Nikodemos

Isn't saying LCD is basically as good as OLED bad for marketing your OLED TVs that are super expensive?
Well, they didn't actually flat-out say "basically as good as". They said "not inferior", which is marketing-speak for "its has its own merits and, on average, balances out".

I think the greater factor here in the reduction of jaggies is the texture filtering, and not the OLED display.
Correct. The OLED itself does nothing to 'smooth the jaggies'. If anything, because of the deep contrast and superior response in motion, the jaggies would be more apparent on an OLED. The smoothing is entirely down to the bilinear filtering, which will be just as effective on the LCD Vita.

That's such a terrible comparison.

That's an old S-PVA monitor from goddamn April 2008. We're talking about more than 5 years old - a millennium in technology years.

This is what a modern IPS monitor (Asus ProArt) has in terms of viewing angles:

Is LCD worse than OLED? Yes, it is worse in terms of black depth and motion performance. How much worse? Probably not enough for most people to care. If Sony has implemented wide gamut backlighting (aka that Tri-Luminous buzzword), it will have similar colour saturation as OLED.

Looking at the video some guy took at Bic Photo, its not the end of the world like some people are proclaiming it to be.

Edit:
You're being even more disingenuous since that's from a Samsung 2493HM. That's a TN monitor (so even worse than S-PVA) released in 2007.

Oh Snap. Whiteshirt, I'll ask for your opinion on my next television purchase.

Yasumi

Banned
We must go deeper:

j5CPZplqcbHcq.jpg

I know, not the same image. I'm not cool enough to have a JP PSN :c

Oh my god, that picture of a picture of a 2000 Vita looks horrendous. Canceled my preorder, destroyed my Vita shrine, vomited into a sock, called the cops. I hope you're happy. :mad:

ethomaz

Banned
To be fair there are some LCD screens better than OLED.

Both tech have pros and cons... it is not like one is far better than another.

In image quality terms no tech beats PLASMA yet.

nampad

LCDs can be good as some smartphones already show but the first comparison shots we got point to a lower quality screen than the OLED.
Considering everything else about the device is also looking cheaper, I believe House isn't telling the truth.

I happily eat crow if it is true when we get better comparisons.

nictron

So I am in the market for a Vita and my only exposure to OLED is the $2000 12" TV sony had out a couple years ago. The only person I actually know who has one is a technical idiot, so his "opinions" are difficult to make a purchase by.

New Vita or Old Vita?

I LOVE the idea of additional battery life but I would like to get one sooner than later. Will there be anything else that matters?

The LCD screen used is excellent. It might have a slight yellowish tint but that's only noticeable from some angles. Most people won't notice/care especially if they have no OG Vita to compare it to. The buttons feel nicer to touch but the D-pad and analogue sticks are about the same. Not sure about the shoulder buttons.

I'm more worried about the super gloss. The rear touchpad is definitely way more glossy than the the one on the OG Vita.

U3i2t2t.jpg

3L1W6ro.jpg

Toki767

So I am in the market for a Vita and my only exposure to OLED is the $2000 12" TV sony had out a couple years ago. The only person I actually know who has one is a technical idiot, so his "opinions" are difficult to make a purchase by.

New Vita or Old Vita?

I LOVE the idea of additional battery life but I would like to get one sooner than later. Will there be anything else that matters?

There is the 1GB onboard memory I guess. If you aren't planning to buy digitally.

Few days ago I bought a dsi xl and the lcd screens on that thing are memorising, so crisp no motion blurring like the ds lite, shame about the blacklight bleed but wow just wow, lcd screens can give amazing results.

Dlacy13g

I dont see how Sony can say there is no difference in quaility between the screens when seeing side by side shots of the same game clearly shows a difference in quality.

Gestault

It kills me that the 1 gb storage is immediately pointless with major releases, since even the cartridge version of Killzone has a day-1 patch larger than 1 gb. So a memory card is mandatory even with just that one game.

S¡mon

Banned
Xfv.jpg

Okay Sony.

So why is Sony claiming that OLED TVs are the future then?
OLED is far from perfect and LCD, really, has become better and better in recent years.

I mean, just look at a device like the HTC One - it's got a LCD display, yet it's miles ahead of - for example - the Samsung Galaxy S4.

Ey Sony, everybody in videogame industry have eyes, just saying.

The problem is that you're not basing your judgement on eyes, you're basing it on a digital image taken by mediocre quality cameras of two differing displays and units at different angles and distances in a poorly, or unevenly, lit room, it's hardly enough to take definitive conclusions.

The ones who have seen the new display with their own eyes have said very few bad things about them, but I wouldn't take their words as facts.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The LCD screen used is excellent. It might have a slight yellowish tint but that's only noticeable from some angles. Most people won't notice/care especially if they have no OG Vita to compare it to. The buttons feel nicer to touch but the D-pad and analogue sticks are about the same. Not sure about the shoulder buttons.

I'm more worried about the super gloss. The rear touchpad is definitely way more glossy than the the one on the OG Vita.

U3i2t2t.jpg

3L1W6ro.jpg
I'm dying here. :-( Why couldn't it be matte?

Sylver

Banned
The problem is that you're not basing your judgement on eyes, you're basing it on a digital image taken by mediocre quality cameras of two differing displays and units at different angles and distances in a poorly, or unevenly, lit room, it's hardly enough to take definitive conclusions.

The ones who have seen the new display with their own eyes have said very few bad things about them, but I wouldn't take their words as facts.

Well that's true but I have Vita oled and XEL-1 sony oled display and a LCD IPS lg monitor and I prefer the oled screens.

Zenaku

When I first got a Vita, I remember the huge disappointment I felt when I first saw the screen. Maybe I just happened to buy a good TV, but the screen didn't look much different - if at all - to my 5-6 year old LCD in terms of colour. Even when I tried out PC remote play and had my PC screen on both my TV and the Vita's screen I couldn't see any discernible difference.

Not saying the new Vita's LCD screen will match the OLED, but the difference isn't that big if you have a decent LCD.

solarus

Regret selling my og vita so much back when there were no games ;(, it has blossomed into an amazing system. Need to get an old one before they become more expensive than the new ones.

Well that's true but I have Vita oled and XEL-1 sony oled display and a LCD IPS lg monitor and I prefer the oled screens.

There's nothing with you having a preference, and I apologise if you meant that post as a joke, but you shouldn't take those "crappy" cellphone pictures as irrefutable evidence.

Top Bottom