• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS Vita LCD screen 'not inferior to OLED', insists Sony

Jac_Solar

...and how exactly are you viewing these photos? You cannot judge the quality of the screens from photos due to both the camera used to snap the photo and the screen being used to view the photos. The advantage of OLED cannot be made visible on an LCD monitor, for instance.

How so? It works for comparison, or at least gives an estimate, since it was taken with a single shot/camera, the camera is capable of capturing the different colors, and your screen is capable of rendering the different colors the camera captured - it doesn't somehow reset to a neutral level, your screen will show the difference in colors and quality.

The only thing is that the effect might be exaggerated or lessened due to the camera or screen.

rjBHiq2.jpg

The first picture is slightly zoomed in and slightly transformed for perspective to adjust the angle (Due to the original picture.), I think, but that wouldn't increase it's quality or anything -- if anything, it would decrease the quality.

Chumpion

That's ridiculous, the difference is not that pronounced. I don't doubt that OLED is great - when I check the time on my Nokia E7 in the dark, I can't make out the edges of the screen because OLED delivers such deep blacks. The viewing angle, on the other hand, is a non-issue or maybe even a win for LCD - other people will be less distracted by the glow of the screen.

sajj316

That's ridiculous, the difference is not that pronounced. I don't doubt that OLED is great - when I check the time on my Nokia E7 in the dark, I can't make out the edges of the screen because OLED delivers such deep blacks. The viewing angle, on the other hand, is a non-issue or maybe even a win for LCD - other people will be less distracted by the glow of the screen.

I also agree with you. The comparisons are less than ideal (no offense to whoever took the pics). I'm sure there will be tech breakdowns and screen quality will obviously be measured.

VARIA

The percentage of real world people that know the difference between OLED and LCD is really small.

The percentage of people that actually own a VITA is even smaller.

Do the math.

I like that the new Vita has an extra hour of battery life!

But I think I want the OLED screen (unless multiple reports come out saying it's just as good or better, right now the word seems to be "almost")...

But the new one is thinner and lighter! And it has improved Start and Select buttons!

But I don't like how they made the rear touchpad smaller, since that will affect compatibility...

But it includes an extra 1GB of storage, and Micro USB port!

But still proprietary memory, so no upgrade there...

It might be cheaper than even the discounted Vita!

But I might be able to still find a good bundle deal on an existing Vita, or the new price might apply to existing Vitas if I wait, and cheaper isn't guaranteed...

I wish this was a straightforward decision. I know the current Vita feels just a hair thick, so thinner might be nice, and the extra hour of battery life would be fantastic. But maybe it's worth the trade-off for the (reportedly) superior original display, nicer aesthetic, screen-sized rear touchpad, et cetera. Or maybe the smaller rear touchpad is an advantage, even if it's not screen-sized, since you're less likely to accidentally touch it...

weevles

It's not a major difference to me, but everyone's eyes perceive things differently...some are more sensitive to differences than others.

That said, I see no reason for me to switch my OLED OG Vita for the newer one.

So do all the OLED PS Vita's have cool greyscale like the one I always see in my local target? Or is that just a bad Vita? Someone mentioned the red hue of the new screen, and that makes me happy to hear if so.

VARIA

I like that the new Vita has an extra hour of battery life!

But I think I want the OLED screen (unless multiple reports come out saying it's just as good or better, right now the word seems to be "almost")...

But the new one is thinner and lighter! And it has improved Start and Select buttons!

But I don't like how they made the rear touchpad smaller, since that will affect compatibility...

But it includes an extra 1GB of storage, and Micro USB port!

But still proprietary memory, so no upgrade there...

It might be cheaper than even the discounted Vita!

But I might be able to still find a good bundle deal on an existing Vita, or the new price might apply to existing Vitas if I wait, and cheaper isn't guaranteed...

You reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_pqnsKWlpc#t=0m31s

Eh, I think OLED has much more potential than plasma. Plasmas can be great but they still have some inherent flaws which OLED addresses nicely.

OLED can produce richer blacks and even better motion than a plasma and do so with a cleaner overall image. OLED TVs have HUGE potential that far FAR outstrips anything you could achieve with LCD. At this point, LCDs have to rely on all sorts of trickery and processing to improve while OLED are natively fantastic.

The bottom line being OLED > LCD no matter how advance LCD gets.

A guy comparing HTC One's LCD3 with SAMOLED+ was lulz worthy

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Went to the local electronics store yesterday to check out the new Vita.
Yeah, the new screen looks inferior with more bland colors. Will wait for Vita 3000.

Gamerloid

Went to the local electronics store yesterday to check out the new Vita.
Yeah, the new screen looks inferior with more bland colors. Will wait for Vita 3000.

Thank you for more confirmation. OLED it is.

What happens if I get an OLED and it breaks (doubt it happen but let's say it does), can I get it fixed and keep my OLED?

Raistlin

Indeed, I realize that, but the end result still produces less trailing. Real world results of OLED performance outshine LCD in that regard.
Against a poor LCD yes. For low response time monitors/TV's though, trailing is relatively minimal.

Again though, that advantage is moot when the entire image is a blurry mess due to poor temporal resolution.

Also, those yellow trails you mention for Plasma are non-existent in modern 600Hz subfield and greater displays. It was due to non linear decay of the phosphor primaries versus each other in earlier tech. All the primaries decay at a close enough rate now that there isn't primary trailing.

Not that Plasma doesn't have some issues, but motion is certainly not one of them. At least not versus other current techs.

Top Bottom