• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS Vita LCD screen 'not inferior to OLED', insists Sony

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
3688A755-DE32-4C36-9641-D9B8BBFA571E-5979-000009263765A3E2_zpsc9256df5.jpg

EMT0

Banned
Looks like the new system is incredibly cheap to make. Can't imagine how much money they were losing with the original Vita.

The general consensus was actually that the Vita hardware was selling at a slight profit, and that Sony easily made all that money back via the selling of memory cards.

EVIL

The only thing I am noticing is that the white balance is more to the light yellow instead of the crisp white of the OLED screen.

I've been wanting mass market OLED handhelds and phones for years. I wanted the Game Boy Next to use it.

That said, OLED has improved drastically over the last decade; but it needs more market saturation. The Vita was the Trojan Horse for OLED.

Now it won't be. :-(

OLED is the superior technology; and we will be using it on practically everything eventually. But this will just slow that great future. Have more faith in the tech, Sony.

New Vita screen looks more than good. Only "glorious OLED master race" will notice any differences, general population wont.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QeHziydv4g&hd=1

Well, OLED didn't matter to me. I play on Vita and on 3DS and still doesn't bother me. I even got VLR on 3DS instead. Howecer, even if I find LCD good enough, I can still see the difference between the two screen when put side by sife. And the comment by Sony is even worse after all the talk about how OLED made a difference. If it was much cheaper than the current Vita, like the 2DS is to the 3DS pricewise, then it would be more understandable.

brandnew

Pretty sure you are incorrect. There are multiple videos showing the viewing angles, and none are that dark/look like that.

Yeah, it was my attempt at sarcasm. Those pictures that are posted seem like a terrible source for comparing the LCD to OLED.

The OLED they used in the Vita must be pretty cheap by now, probably no comparison to what the 1080p S4 OLED costs. But LCD is obviously still a lot cheaper.

I'm wondering how much better the new OLED screens are compared to the Vita screen (apart from pixel density, which they can't change).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
LOL. That new Youtube video shows quite clearly that the new Vita looks very good ... but now we've moved onto how cheap the plastic looks? It's actually getting a little silly now.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Errrr

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6452_7-57587774/screens-test-htc-one-vs-samsung-galaxy-s4/

OLED is better than LCD, LCDs ARE getting better but OLED tech is better. And like somebody said, nothing comes close to Plasma.
Eh, I think OLED has much more potential than plasma. Plasmas can be great but they still have some inherent flaws which OLED addresses nicely.

OLED can produce richer blacks and even better motion than a plasma and do so with a cleaner overall image. OLED TVs have HUGE potential that far FAR outstrips anything you could achieve with LCD. At this point, LCDs have to rely on all sorts of trickery and processing to improve while OLED are natively fantastic.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Why don't you guys, I don't know, wait till you see it in person before acting like you know it's a piece of shit.

Raistlin

Eh, I think OLED has much more potential than plasma. Plasmas can be great but they still have some inherent flaws which OLED addresses nicely.

OLED can produce richer blacks and even better motion than a plasma and do so with a cleaner overall image. OLED TVs have HUGE potential that far FAR outstrips anything you could achieve with LCD. At this point, LCDs have to rely on all sorts of trickery and processing to improve while OLED are natively fantastic.
Better motion? Not so far.

Same as LCD.

dark10x

Better motion? Not so far.

Same as LCD.
Bullshit. It's much faster than LCD. Not even remotely close.

It's very similar to plasma but without yellow trails. It could be better, no doubt, but it's still quite decent as it is. Not CRT quality yet, though. :(

Raistlin

Bullshit. It's much faster than LCD. Not even remotely close.

It's very similar to plasma but without yellow trails. It could be better, no doubt, but it's still quite decent as it is. Not CRT quality yet, though. :(
You're confusing response time, and what is actually the long pole for our perception of motion.

Current OLED uses sample & hold to display their image just like LCD's. And like LCD's, have shit temporal resolution.

http://hdguru.com/lg-55ea9800-oled-hdtv-reviewed/

We asked LG how the OLED makes a picture and are waiting for a response. Specifically, is it like LED LCD, using a method called sample and hold, or more plasma’s method, called pulse-width modulation. Based on the video we captured using our high speed camera (at 480 and 1000 frames per second) we believe it’s sample and hold at a 60 Hz frame rate. Another test that seemed to back up this hypothesis is our motion resolution test, which provided the same result as 60 Hz LED LCD (a disappointing 320 lines of resolution per picture height). LG does offer its Tru Motion mode, which brought resolution up to 630 lines (about the same as 120 Hz LCD), but introduces the soap opera effect of making film more like video.

Sorry

Rafterman

Banned
LOL. That new Youtube video shows quite clearly that the new Vita looks very good ... but now we've moved onto how cheap the plastic looks? It's actually getting a little silly now.

The best part is people keep posting that same stupid comparison photo from the first page that has pretty much been shot down in every thread about the new Vita. If people still think it's an accurate representation of what the new screen looks like they are morons.

Vashetti

Banned
Is the gloss on the Vita 2000 cheaper than matte?

Because I want matte, and if they want to make a cheaper model, I don't know why they didn't use matte.

Gloss looks cheap to me, just a fingerprint magnet.

All of you people calling it based on those camera shots are crazy.

Do you also send a friend to Best Buy to take pictures of all the TVs so you can decide which one you want based off that?

Deepo

Put Andrew House in a dark room overnight with both Vita models, an let's see if he doesn't change his mind.

EGM1966

Ah well this should solve the "GAF collective Sony bias" stuff from other threads quite nicely.

Thanks Sony!

And no, I'm not seeing the LCD matching the OLED myself - obviously if you buy and only experience the LCD then that's your barometer but I know I'll be sticking with my OLED model.

terrisus

So what they're saying is, OLED is nothing special and you're fine just going with LCD?
Great strategy for them considering their investment into OLED...

dark10x

You're confusing response time, and what is actually the long pole for our perception of motion.

Current OLED uses sample & hold to display their image just like LCD's. And like LCD's, have shit temporal resolution.
Indeed, I realize that, but the end result still produces less trailing. Real world results of OLED performance outshine LCD in that regard.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'm with dark10x here, my Nvidia Shiled got 5-inch 1280x720 retinal IPS screen (294 ppi) while it look very nice the lower res/lower ppi Vita oled screen just blow it completely when it come to games. Oled is just that good when it come to video games.

Cuyejo

Top Bottom