• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model with 1TB HDD incoming

2010-06-18mini-7.jpg

This is a 2010 Mac mini, with an optical drive and an HDD as well. And internal PSU. 4 USBs, ethernet, etc. More powerful CPU I'd expect, and only really lacking in the GPU department. Still, we're talking about something possible 5 years ago.

Speaking of the Mac Mini, that too lost 200 grams when it lost the optical drive. Sorry if I just pointed out the obvious!

knerl

It's the temp of the surroundings.

My guess that they weight loss is simply due to less internal components and a new cooling mechanism.

In regards to the temp that makes sense.
I can definitely see the PSU weighing about 300g. Here's to hoping!

Man

Fuck no man. That would fragment their portfolio of models and lead to customers complaining about "Why can't I use these games I bought along with the system"

Too many returns too much confusion. Only way I see it working is if they make it so small that you can immediately distinguish it as digital only platform
Both Xbox and PlayStation will offer Network-only models this generation. It's inevitable and lead-in to purely Network-only next-generation in 2020.

knerl

Speaking of the Mac Mini, that too lost 200 grams when it lost the optical drive. Sorry if I just pointed out the obvious!

Removing the BD would severely cripple the unit. No way in hell they'd remove that.
If anything I think they'd lose money on it by having to manufacture two different types of units where one of them is completely dependant on a fast internet connection.

big_z

Please have an external power brick .... like honestly my PS4 is like a jet engine which is why I only use the thing for exclusives. I'd buy this model if it fixes cooling issues and if its in the Uncharted 4 Special Edition PS4 i'd get that.

Before any of you say " oh it needs space for air flow" etc. Its on top of my entertainment stand with plenty of airflow.

the system is loud and ill be there day one to buy a replacement when a quiet redesign is released but I doubt this is it. most likely the internal metal plate backing has been reduced and the psu would be using fewer but more efficient parts contributing to the weight reduction.

Removing the BD would severely cripple the unit. No way in hell they'd remove that.
If anything I think they'd lose money on it by having to manufacture two different types of units where one of them is completely dependant on a fast internet connection.

It's not aimed at you, or me for that matter. Andrew House, during SCE's investor day last week, outlined their strategy for FY2015, and said they will push a lot of online services (Vue, Spotify, PS Plus, PS Now) in FY2015 to grow the customer base, I suspect this PS4 model plays into achieving that.

Game Guru

Both Xbox and PlayStation will offer Network-only models this generation. It's inevitable and lead-in to purely Network-only next-generation in 2020.

How would they sell network-only models if GameStop, who is half the North American console market in terms of retailers, refuses to sell it? People who want a digital-only console seem to forget the used game selling elephant in the middle of the room.

They are already at a 2:1 WW ratio.

No need to slash the price by $100.

What does the ps4 performance vs the xbox have to do with anything? They are already slowing down. A price cut puts it into a broader market. Much like with the ps3 and ps2 price cut after 2 years on market.

If Sony doesn't get it to $299 by the end of this year, they will really be hurting for sales throughout 2016. Same goes for Xbox. They both need to hit $299 this holiday to keep sales momentum.

Theonik

Should that be the case, which I personally doubt, would there be room for a 3.5 inch drive bay?
If it isn't smaller at the same time probably. Would be good for people wanting to go digital since 2.5" drives have stagnated for a while.

I would never sacrifice the drive on my system since digital on closed platforms is unappealing right now, but for those that are OK with that being able to stick a 6TB drive in there should be great.

2020 is only five years away. Microsoft and Sony (particularly Sony) sell a great deal of consoles in countries that are only just now getting basic broadband internet.

Even in the US, a lot of rural areas are lucky if they get 3mb/s. Network only will not happen in only 5 years. If it does, Xbox and Playstation will probably go under.

What does the ps4 performance vs the xbox have to do with anything? They are already slowing down. A price cut puts it into a broader market. Much like with the ps3 and ps2 price cut after 2 years on market.

If Sony doesn't get it to $299 by the end of this year, they will really be hurting for sales throughout 2016. Same goes for Xbox. They both need to hit $299 this holiday to keep sales momentum.

You know... it's main competitor and major marketing advantage of saying "We are literally outselling our competition on a 2:1 WW market."

You're acting like sales don't slow down during early spring after the holiday season and that the current rate is indicative of some massive depression if the price isn't slashed at E3.

MS needs the price cut far more than Sony needs a price cut. MS needs to retake the NA market, Sony can easily manage standing in slight second in NA while they dominate Europe and WW. My guess is a $350 package with free game and 500GB HD, $399 with free game and 1 TB.

Maybe even some free months of PS+.

gtj1092

$399 1tb model to keep margins high and a $299 500gb for the masses. May even include a game in the 399 model to entice people to still purchase that one over the $299 one thus having a price drop but still selling more of the 399 model.

You know... it's main competitor and major marketing advantage of saying "We are literally outselling our competition on a 2:1 WW market."

You're acting like sales don't slow down during early spring after the holiday season and that the current rate is indicative of some massive depression if the price isn't slashed at E3.

MS needs the price cut far more than Sony needs a price cut. MS needs to retake the NA market, Sony can easily manage standing in slight second in NA while they dominate Europe and WW. My guess is a $350 package with free game and 500GB HD, $399 with free game and 1 TB.

Maybe even some free months of PS+.

A price cut to $350 would be pointless, and would be just throwing away money in my opinion. It wouldn't bring in any extra adopters, as it still hasn't reached a new market segment.

Sony shouldn't be comparing themselves to Xbox's performance. Ps4 sales are down by a measurable margin YTD vs last year. Next year will be even worse if it's still $349 or $399 this time next year.

Just look what the $50 price cut did for Xbox, almost nothing. Sony would be better off leaving it at $399 rather than only lowering it by $50.

I wonder if this new SKU will allow users to add storage to the console. It would definitely make my PS4 purchase an even better value if they added the functionality both of its competitor consoles have had for the longest time.

You can already change the HDD on a PS4 without voiding warranty, unless you mean external?

2020 is only five years away. Microsoft and Sony (particularly Sony) sell a great deal of consoles in countries that are only just now getting basic broadband internet.

Even in the US, a lot of rural areas are lucky if they get 3mb/s. Network only will not happen in only 5 years. If it does, Xbox and Playstation will probably go under.
All IPTV service is coming now with Playstation Vue, Sling and others prematurely...the industry can only support a small portion of all Cable TV subscribers but starting in 2017 projections are that 40-100% of people with premium cable services will have Vidipath TVs and STBs (read game consoles) which are necessary for all IPTV client STBs. By 2020 Cable TV will be phasing out RF TV channels and ALL Cable TV will move to IPTV. In the worldwide roadmap to a three network convergence (IPTV, VOIP and IP) served by a cable modem, faster Internet with more bandwidth is coming.

The FCC has mandated that Cable TV DVRs and VOD boxes must support DLNA CVP2 = Vidipath streaming over the home network this month JUNE. The CE industry will start to advertise Vidipath = DLNA CVP2 before October and Game consoles as Vidipath STBs with attractive features (many Firmware updates coming in the latter part of 2015) will appeal to the Media consumer and casual gamer. The 4K blu-ray digital bridge is designed to stream to Vidipath STBs over the home network.

Sales of Game consoles will pick up late 2015 due to Vidipath and Sony will again start advertising the Playstation does everything (Media and Games). Sony lied and mislead as this has been planned and the PS4 was designed as a Media Hub first and game console second but they decided to stress Games at release as the Vidipath standards were not ready thus no DLNA 2.0 support by either the XB1 or PS4 (XB1 got DLNA and Codecs in October 2014).

sense

i am going to assume this and xb1 1tb harddrive models are going to have added 4k movie streaming capabilities?

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/3...aming-consoles-will-see-release-this-fall.htm

if that's the case i can see a cod 1tb bundle from sony for 399 which also has 4k movie streaming capabilities and sell a 299 AC bundle or something for the price conscious people. price drops won't be until PGW imo.

my prediction for holiday bundles announced at PGW is

299 AC bundle
349 1tb cod bundle
custom star wars bundle for 399

HowZatOZ

Banned
Come on man, this ain't happening lol.

Maybe next gen.

Its sad that this is the case. PC has had 7200RPM drives for ages, I remember the hype around Raptor drives bringing those speeds and now the prices for something of that speed is ridiculously low.

i am going to assume this and xb1 1tb harddrive models are going to have added 4k movie streaming capabilities?

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/3...aming-consoles-will-see-release-this-fall.htm

if that's the case i can see a cod 1tb bundle from sony for 399 which also has 4k movie streaming capabilities and sell a 299 AC bundle or something for the price conscious people. price drops won't be until PGW imo.

my prediction for holiday bundles announced at PGW is

299 AC bundle
349 1tb cod bundle
custom star wars bundle for 399
The current PS4 should be a 4K blu-ray player with a firmware update. Don't think there will be a price drop but lots of new features via firmware updates in the second half of 2015 that will make the PS4 and XB1 more attractive.

Tetranet

More likely:

AMD did some process optimizations over the year == the chip needs a lower voltage now == it requires less power.
Less power equals lower heat output equals smaller heatsink.
Smaller heatsink equals less weight.

Bluray Drive will still be in.

The question that remains for us in this scenario is: Do we have a net reduction in temperatures at the end, and thus a cooler system?

Are they really afraid of piracy to not allow external storage?
External storage should be allowed this generation as it's in the 4K blu-ray Digital bridge proposals, Cable TV Cable Modems have Samba (Linux & HTML5 File/Hard Disk access) and DLNA support built in. Playready encrypts movies so they can be stored on a network drive and Metadata/Keys make provisions for that network file/movie storage. The PS4 still hasn't implemented DRM for HTML5 <video> ME (HTML5test.com in the browser) and probably has no support for external file storage at this time either.

Probably 399 and the discontinue the 500gb model and chop its price to clear stock.

no point getting rid of 500gb since it still sells bucketloads, adding another sku allows more money in Sony's bank. They need to keep the PS brand pumping since its one of the major pillars in Sony's profits right now.

Tetranet

Yeah, I know. I saw your posts in the Amazon.uk deal thread ;)

It would make more sense to simply reduce the price of the 500GB version. And then, for the people who want a bigger HDD, just use the saved money (of the price reduction) for a notebook HDD and replace it.!
It's so easy a lobotomized monkey can do it. Also simpler than on PS3.

Forking over cash to buy extra hardware and then taking a brand new machine apart to upgrade it isn't my idea of a good purchase. Besides, the HDDs Sony puts in the PS4 are almost guaranteed to have been through better QA than the back-up case-cracked ones.

glaurung

A thread like this can invoke just one question: which hard drive replacement is the best fit for my launch PS4, considering my games collection has long since outgrown the 500 gigabytes?

Some Samsung external 2TB HDD?

B_Boss

Interesting. So this model will most likely be the same model, design wise yet will have 1tb and consumes less power? I'm already interested in the mobo lol.

Bastardo

The question that remains for us in this scenario is: Do we have a net reduction in temperatures at the end, and thus a cooler system?

I don't think they will aim for cooler. The chip has a specific operating temperature and Sony will make the heatsink as small as possible while still hitting the temp limit to reduce the price. There's no gain in having a cooler system.

If I could decide I would leave the heatsink as is and instead reduce the rotation frequency of the fan.

Theonik

A thread like this can invoke just one question: which hard drive replacement is the best fit for my launch PS4, considering my games collection has long since outgrown the 500 gigabytes?

Some Samsung external 2TB HDD?
Just grab some 2TB internal drive and swap it yourself.

Could someone clarify whether the weight reduction of 300 grams is indeed exclusive to the 1TB model?

I had a look through the FCC submissions, and in this one (PDF), see "2.2 Product Description", the weight of 2.5kg seems to only apply to the "tested model", which is the CUH-1215A, or the 500GB model.

So I'd assume that the 300 gram weight difference may be down to something else, if it's in the 500GB model, and it isn't the removal of the blu ray drive.

fvng

lol i'm not upgrading any fucking hard drive and risk losing P.T. even if the backup utility is supposedly safe. I foresee problems

Curufinwe

Next gen will start before that, and there will still be a disc drive. There will still be millions of potential customers in the world without reliable broadband and only a foolish company would shut them out completely.

fvng

why would you say that so confidently when that didn't happen with 360/PS3? they could have easily begain that process last gen

Does anyone remember this?

Smaller, cheaper, cooler Xbox One processor in development http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...aper-cooler-xbox-one-processor-in-development

If the same thing's happened with the PS4's APU I'd be very interested. Does anyone think this explains the power reduction? Would love to upgrade to a quieter and more power efficient version of the system next to my TV.

On a related note, I hope the opposite doesn't happen with the Xbox One. I could see Microsoft shipping a smaller version of the system which doesn't have the huge cooling assembly, especially so now that the system isn't designed to be left on running for 10 years straight. One of the nice things about the One is now refined it is in operation -- and it'd be a shame to lose that.

Top Bottom