• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model with 1TB HDD incoming

Why won't Sony let me use an external drive? Also, I'd rather they work on fixing the fan noise because the PS4 can get way too loud when playing a disc based game.

Boke1879

i am going to assume this and xb1 1tb harddrive models are going to have added 4k movie streaming capabilities?

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/3...aming-consoles-will-see-release-this-fall.htm

if that's the case i can see a cod 1tb bundle from sony for 399 which also has 4k movie streaming capabilities and sell a 299 AC bundle or something for the price conscious people. price drops won't be until PGW imo.

my prediction for holiday bundles announced at PGW is

299 AC bundle
349 1tb cod bundle
custom star wars bundle for 399

If those are the models this holiday it'll move a ton of units

It's not aimed at you, or me for that matter. Andrew House, during SCE's investor day last week, outlined their strategy for FY2015, and said they will push a lot of online services (Vue, Spotify, PS Plus, PS Now) in FY2015 to grow the customer base, I suspect this PS4 model plays into achieving that.
Your comments doesn't indicate why Sony would remove the blu Ray drive. None of those things benefit from the removal of blu-Ray.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Both Xbox and PlayStation will offer Network-only models this generation. It's inevitable and lead-in to purely Network-only next-generation in 2020.

This would be the WORST thing that either MS or Sony could EVER do! No way the market would accept a online only console in 2020.

driver116

Why won't Sony let me use an external drive? Also, I'd rather they work on fixing the fan noise because the PS4 can get way too loud when playing a disc based game.

They fear it could accelerate piracy on PS4
The PS4 was designed this way with this level of noise is mind, no update will change that

Donos

Please have 5GHz wifi

Seriously, my 2,4 Ghz frequencies are cramped like hell so i got me a high tier router and have now half of my stuff in 5Ghz region.

Even bought a 5Ghz radio antenna for my Notebook and replaced the 2,4 Ghz one.

schaft0620

Wouldn't be surprised if they went to the 1TB because of an Instant Games Collection model, bundled in like 24 indie games or something.

KORNdoggy

either mine or your system is faulty then. becasue mine is super quiet. and super cool running. PS3 got much louder, and the 360 may as well have been a jet engine.

Your comments doesn't indicate why Sony would remove the blu Ray drive. None of those things benefit from the removal of blu-Ray.

My point was more that Sony's strategies to grow the PS4 userbase revolve around online services, which have nothing to do with whether the system has a Blu-Ray drive or not.

PS Plus' instant game collection, PS Now, PS Music and PS Vue aren't dependent on physical media. And given the PS4 is the market leader this generation with the most mass market appeal, there is going to be a portion of players which play Plus games whilst buying the odd game every year like CoD or FIFA.

In the United Kingdom, nearly 50 percent of Destiny sales were digital for example, and that's the kind of game Sony wants more of this year in order to push and lock-in PS Plus subscriptions.

Huddy

Does anyone remember this?

Smaller, cheaper, cooler Xbox One processor in development http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...aper-cooler-xbox-one-processor-in-development

AMD decided to skip 20nm due to low yield and poor gains over 28nm. MS/Sony could still be looking at 20nm with AMD but its far more likely they'll be waiting on 14/16nm which will reach production 2h 2016.

E3 2016 is probably when we'll get to hear from either company regarding a slim model release.

AMD decided to skip 20nm due to low yield and poor gains over 28nm. MS/Sony could still be looking at 20nm with AMD but its far more likely they'll be waiting on 14/16nm which will reach production 2h 2016.

E3 2016 is probably when we'll get to hear from either company regarding a slim model release.

Cheers!

Tetranet

Does anyone remember this?

Smaller, cheaper, cooler Xbox One processor in development http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...aper-cooler-xbox-one-processor-in-development

If the same thing's happened with the PS4's APU I'd be very interested. Does anyone think this explains the power reduction? Would love to upgrade to a quieter and more power efficient version of the system next to my TV.

I'd like that too, but for that sort of hardware fine tuning one should head to custom built PCs. I doubt Sony (or Microsoft) revise their hardware with stuff like cooling optimization as a central point. For example, it's very likely the reduced power draw comes with a smaller heatsink as well. So while the chips generate less heat, the heatsink is smaller too. They're trying to drive costs down, not make a thermometer geek's holy grail.

driver116

Please have 5GHz wifi

Nope.gif

bnWwsPQ.png

I haven't ever used the Blu Ray drive on my PS4 so I would've jumped on this if it was available when I bought mine. I guess having the option for a drive is nice but I seriously doubt I'll ever use it.

Ok. But a much bigger deal would be enabling external storage. I can already easily (and cheaply) expand my PS4 internal HD to 1-2TB.

In contrast, MS needs to make the 1TB model the new standard & enable easy replacement of the internal HD. Not allowing for this already is mind-boggling. At least they got the external storage thing right.

Both companies got it wrong with HD sizes to start with...500Gb drives are a joke at this point. Lots of us were shouting this from the roof-tops for months prior to both system launches. I still recall a lot of people saying "500Gb is enough". SMH. Amazingly, both companies seem to be stubbornly avoiding or too slowly implementing storage features that most gamers want. Bit of a head-scratcher.

I'd like that too, but for that sort of hardware fine tuning one should head to custom built PCs. I doubt Sony (or Microsoft) revise their hardware with stuff like cooling optimization as a central point. For example, it's very likely the reduced power draw comes with a smaller heatsink as well. So while the chips generate less heat, the heatsink is smaller too. They're trying to drive costs down, not make a thermometer geek's holy grail.

You're right, it was wishful thinking on my behalf, it'd just be nice if the PS4 ended up as quiet as the Xbox One, we might eventually get there though -- it was the reverse situation last generation.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Ok. But a much bigger deal would be enabling external storage. I can already easily (and cheaply) expand my PS4 internal HD to 1-2TB.

In contrast, MS needs to make the 1TB model the new standard & enable easy replacement of the internal HD. Not allowing for this already is mind-boggling. At least they got the external storage thing right.

Both companies got it wrong with HD sizes to start with...500Gb drives are a joke at this point. Lots of us were shouting this from the roof-tops for months prior to both system launches. I still recall a lot of people saying "500Gb is enough". SMH. Amazingly, both companies seem to be stubbornly avoiding or too slowly implementing storage features that most gamers want. Bit of a head-scratcher.

Right but you have to remember HDD were expensive as fuck back in 2011-2012 when they most likely put out the billion dollar order for these drives.

Exactly. We likely won't be getting a slim revision of either console until 16nm ff is in full swing. 20nm isn't happening. Its been abandoned for good reason. And a smaller case design with 28nm would likely introduce reliability issues due to cooling problems. The fan systems would also likely be louder to create adequate airflow. Overall it wouldn't make sense. Holiday season 2016 is a good bet.

Maxrunner

Please have an external power brick .... like honestly my PS4 is like a jet engine which is why I only use the thing for exclusives. I'd buy this model if it fixes cooling issues and if its in the Uncharted 4 Special Edition PS4 i'd get that.

Before any of you say " oh it needs space for air flow" etc. Its on top of my entertainment stand with plenty of airflow.

Yeah having bought one last week, i find it really loud. Regarding the air flow its under the tv on a shelf, but i dont really have another place to put it.

Condom

Pretty sure HDD prices were higher than normal at time of release. Can't blame MS or Sony for that.

Tetranet

Hmm that info about AMD makes the pieces fit. That coupled with the fact that the original models of this generation's consoles are solid (in contract to the gargantuan PS3 and famed XBOX360 models), means it will be a while until a major redesign.

And by that point I'm not sure what this redesign will entail. The jump from 28nm to 14/16nm isn't as impactful as Cell's 90nm to 45nm in the end. Something tells me the eventual redesign will be a cost cutting model or sidegrade at best and not an improvement like the PS3 Slim was. The Super Slim itself could be considered a sidegrade at best.

EDIT: At least the current PS4 model and revision, while noisy, hasn't shown signs of mass failure. We're entering the second summer since its release, and it has held up.

I already upgraded to 1TB for my PS4, super easy to do and really cool when you download a lot of games, PS+ games take space !

There's rumors that a new Xbox One model with 1TB drive as standard will come soon too.

Loakum

Banned
lol i'm not upgrading any fucking hard drive and risk losing P.T. even if the backup utility is supposedly safe. I foresee problems

lol, relax. It really works. I upgraded my harddrive to a 2TB recently, and with an exterior hardrive and the backup restore feature, it's easy. Also what's better, if anything ever happened to my PS4 save files, I can always download it again, because I still have it store in my exterior harddrive.

Sjefen

I have over 40+ games on my HDD, 10 are AAA games. With the PS4 and its good sales, I went all digital without really thinking much over it, it just happend. It's convenient, fast and easy. I wouldnt mind a second PS4 without bluray drive...smaller and more portable...

Einbroch

Banned
They were not desperate with PS2 either and yet when it got its first price drop it was $100 from $299 to $199 despite that they were crushing competition and for example in US PS2 was selling way better than PS4 does currently. $100 price drop can be more profitable for them even in rather short term because of huge boost in hw sales, sw sales and PS subscriptions. I stil think they will skip the $349 price point like with PS3 and go straight to $299 this fall.

They will be desperate over the course of 2016 as they reach "core" market saturation. The Xbox One price drop to $350 only had a small effect, and only during the holidays.

$349 will not get new people on board, $299 will.

The Xbox One should also come down to $299 by this holiday. Time for these consoles to start selling to the late adopters and casual gamers. History has shown us that these consoles will not survive being more than $299 past a certain point.

Hey, I hope you're right. I just don't see it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Would be interesting if Sony brings out the first network only home console

It certainly would be. They could get extremely aggressive on the price of it too because it cuts off all second hand games and will make their money off every game sold on PSN so they can take a decent loss up front on it.

I don't think its happening but it would be interesting. Its not like they haven't tried before... and it couldn't possibly flop as bad as the PSP Go.

Syntsui

I have over 40+ games on my HDD, 10 are AAA games. With the PS4 and its good sales, I went all digital without really thinking much over it, it just happend. It's convenient, fast and easy. I wouldnt mind a second PS4 without bluray drive...smaller and more portable...

2TB drive?

Please, please fix the damn noise levels.
The current models can't handle full load or high load without breaking past 50-60dB which is insane for a gaming console. Temperatures are great, but the damn fan noise made me sell the system. Went through four of them trying to get one that wasn't so damn loud while playing for example TLOU or games with similar stress put to the system. Even opened one up and exchanged the thermal paste myself and managed to lower it by 5-10dB. Was still too loud. Impossible to keep it running during night time without getting a headache (or waking everyone in the vicinity up.) Might be effective cooling wise, but they cheaped out plenty on the solution. They should've kept the PSU external and put all that space to use for more fans.

woah, did you record yourself open it up? according to ifixit? is a pain in the ass to do it

OT: i wonder if this is the answer instead of price drop or they are readying for a Batman/BlOps3/SW special edition

OmegaDL50

Forking over cash to buy extra hardware and then taking a brand new machine apart to upgrade it isn't my idea of a good purchase. Besides, the HDDs Sony puts in the PS4 are almost guaranteed to have been through better QA than the back-up case-cracked ones.

Said back up HDDs are from the same manufacturer of the drives inside the PS4. Samsung.

Samsung does the QA on their own drives before shipping them out. I don't think Samsung is selective on the amount of QA they give to their drives be it in PS4's or their own off-the-shelf units. It's still the same company regardless.

Elios83

I don't think any of this will be announced at E3.
This is basically what's to come later this year, internally redesigned unit to cut manufacturing costs, 1TB option for premium bundles, price cut announced.
Production will be ramped up and units stocked during summer to meet demand during the holiday season.

500 to 1TB isn't going to increase the price by $100. A HDD space increase isn't THAT expensive, especially when comparing 500GB units to 1TB units.

Once again you cannot compare console prices of things to typical newegg.com prices on components.

While we see the price difference in a 500GB to 1TB drive is maybe $15 or so, usually, you have to factor in that they make contracts with the OEMs to get them, have specifications that they want met (more quality control) and that actually makes things cost more than usual.

I don't agree with HUGE price jumps for it (MS's HDD pricing scheme was always super screwy, to me) but $50 for double the storage, knowing all these factors and more are involved, isn't a problem.

Boke1879

This is basically what's to come later this year, internally redesigned unit to cut manufacturing costs, 1TB option for premium bundles, price cut announced.
Production will be ramped up and units stocked during summer to meet demand during the holiday season.

This is what I'm guessing as well

OmegaDL50

Once again you cannot compare console prices of things to typical newegg.com prices on components.

While we see the price difference in a 500GB to 1TB drive is maybe $15 or so, usually, you have to factor in that they make contracts with the OEMs to get them, have specifications that they want met (more quality control) and that actually makes things cost more than usual.

I don't agree with HUGE price jumps for it (MS's HDD pricing scheme was always super screwy, to me) but $50 for double the storage, knowing all these factors and more are involved, isn't a problem.

Actually it's the inverse. Sony doesn't pay MSRP pricing so it wouldn't be more expensive but rather the opposite, less expensive., instead of simply copying and pasting what I said previously I'll just link to my post - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166129860&postcount=135

Also Sony doesn't do QA on the drives, that is entirely up to the supplier in this case, that being Samsung in this instance, also the drive inside the PS4 isn't something specifically made just for the PS4, it's an existing model that anyone can buy that Samsung already sells as part of their Momentus line or the Hitachi HGST / Western Digital Drive, It's one of two OEM's I believe. Sony just orders them mass in bulk to fit their quota.

Elandyll

Banned

You don't announce these kind of things for the west at TGS, Sony won't have a presser at Gamescom, and PGS will be too late (mere days before November).

E3 seems the most logical actually.

-> Immediate price reduction to $299 for 500Gb PS4+TLOU.
-> Batman Bundle (500Gb) re-priced at $299 (possibly $349) launching June 23rd.

-> $299 1Tb model announced for November.
-> $349 1Tb bundles of Battlefront announced

starwars_battlefront_ps4.jpg

(probably a fake)

Disktrasa

Banned
Do you guys think Sony will add external storage so we can DL games etc?

I switched to 1tb sshd when the ps4 was released, but its full since waaay back, would kill for external support....

Top Bottom