• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model with 1TB HDD incoming

AndyD

aka andydumi
More space is one thing, but they need faster drives too. I put in an SSHD and it's significantly better in some games. Cheap too.

Elios83

You don't announce these kind of things for the west at TGS, Sony won't have a presser at Gamescom, and PGS will be too late (mere days before November).

E3 seems the most logical actually.

Not really, I don't think these announcements are bound to be announced at a particular event.
They can announce it whenever they think it fits with their plans.
It's not like MS announced their holiday promotion at a gaming event ;)
Imo their decision to skip GCfor the Paris event means they have big plans for October.
It also makes sense with the production logistics of the introduction of new SKUs, they need to start production, stockpile units to meet demand especially with a price drop.
I don't think they intend to do this at E3. We'll see in a couple of weeks though.

You don't announce these kind of things for the west at TGS, Sony won't have a presser at Gamescom, and PGS will be too late (mere days before November).

-> Immediate price reduction to $299 for 500Gb PS4+TLOU.
-> Batman Bundle (500Gb) re-priced at $299 (possibly $349) launching June 23rd.

-> $299 1Tb model announced for November.
-> $349 1Tb bundles of Battlefront announced

Do you really think Batman is going to be sold for 299 with a PS4?

TomShoe

Banned
Does anyone know if special edition PS4s come with different model numbers? Perhaps that could be a special 1 TB edition.

-> Immediate price reduction to $299 for 500Gb PS4+TLOU.
-> Batman Bundle (500Gb) re-priced at $299 (possibly $349) launching June 23rd.

-> $299 1Tb model announced for November.
-> $349 1Tb bundles of Battlefront announced

PGW is actually the most logical time to announce a price drop. Microsoft announced their $349 bundle just weeks before November hit. Sales are going to tank in between the announcement and the actual drop, so it makes sense to cut the price just before the time most people are going to be buying.

vin-buc

^ Megaton? More like meh.

If the 500GB went down to $299 with TLOU - that would be a megaton. And a 1TB w/ game bundle for $349 would be Megaton 2.

n0razi

i dropped a 1TB SSHD into mine day one.. think it was around $100

i can see 1TB lasting me the life of this console since i dont tend to hoard games

RedAssedApe

Banned
i dropped a 1TB SSHD into mine day one.. think it was around $100

i can see 1TB lasting me the life of this console since i dont tend to hoard games

same...except 500 GB already seems enough for me. once i'm done with a game i'll delete the game data off my disk. the only thing i keep are saves. for the digital stuff, as long as i don't have download caps, i don't have an issue redownloading something if i decide i want to play it again later

You do realise the scale that they manufacture these consoles on? Even a small increase in component costs has a massive knock on effect in their margins.

Well, this is not necessarily how it works. For example, using a 250GB HDD in the PS4 would be actually more expensive for Sony than using a 500GB HDD because 500GB is a more commonly produced size than 250GB. So the same will apply for 1TB HDDs, it's only a question of time. And Sony knows it, obviously.

NastyBook

They can always go smaller and still keep power supply and bluray player internal.

hqdefault.jpg
Fucking wizardry.

So, a few days ago I bought my PS4. TLoU bundle at 360$, nice deal. However, I am holding opening it (my Xbox One's Witcher III copy helps me with the wait) waiting for this type of leaks. If Sony announces a worthy new model I will return mine.

Problem is, I only have until the 14th of June to return it (yup, one day before the conference).

I need this to leak fast

So, a few days ago I bought my PS4. TLoU bundle at 360$, nice deal. However, I am holding opening it (my Xbox One's Witcher III copy helps me with the wait) waiting for this type of leaks. If Sony announces a worthy new model I will return mine.

Problem is, I only have until the 14th of June to return it (yup, one day before the conference).

I need this to leak fast

I'd open the PS4 now and just buy a 2TB hard drive to go in it. They're relatively inexpensive now, and will guarantee you more space.

vin-buc

I need this to leak fast

I'm with the camp that nothing will be announced at E3 but return it to be on the safe side. Just buy it again if the new model comes out.

This way you're covered.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Whether it a larger hdd, a slim model, or both, I've been holding out for some kind of hardware revision before jumping in so hopefully one gets unveiled at e3 :)

truth411

I'm guessing $299 for the 500GB sku and $399 for the 1TB sku. There will be two skus from now on onced released, a lower price of entry to boost sales, and a larger capacity sku for increased profitability.

ZOONAMI

Do you all realize how cheap and easy it is to put a 1tb 7200 rpm drive into a PS4?

Bonus is you can get a $12 drive enclosure and have a nice 500gb external. Plug it in to your xbox one or wii u, or whatever else you want.

ZOONAMI

If PS4 is $299 MS will have to do the same. Ninty will have to go to $199. They should have last Christmas.

Aces&Eights

Man, I thought I game a lot but those of you who need 2TB is just insane to me. Do you just keep every single game installed all the time? I typically have 4-6 AAA games (about 200GB) and a butt load of indies, 5GB of music and I still have 100GB left on my launch unit.

Perhaps, I am just blessed to have no data cap from my service provider. I can d/l anything I might have deleted in about 15 minutes if I feel the need to play again, but honestly, after I platinum a game and finish the DLC, I just see no reason to even keep it around.

Biker19

Banned
That would be a huge blunder on Sony's part. Majority of console software sale is physical, and that number increases with casual players. Not to mention a BD-drive costing only $20 max. It would cripple the PS4 severely for little profit gain.

Not to mention that it'll divide the owners/userbase.

I doubt Sony's that crazy.

Really hope it comes without a bluray drive. Would buy this day 1 and get rid of my launch ps4
I would've been all for this a year or two ago, but after learning about the problem UK PS4 owners have had with their accounts being hacked, Sony not refunding them, having accounts blocked and therefore losing all purchases...I'm a lot more positive towards physical ownership.

knerl

either mine or your system is faulty then. becasue mine is super quiet. and super cool running. PS3 got much louder, and the 360 may as well have been a jet engine.

Try playing TLOU, Killzone or infamous first light for at least 20 min. The amount of stress put to the unit varies greatly from title to title. I went through 4 brand new ones. 1x 10xx model and 3x 11xx model. All went beyond 50dB in these games. It's not about playing a disc based game. While the disc spins during installation it stops completely when it's done. This is purely related to fan noise.

DonMigs85

The noise of any console or PC will also be amplified depending on the acoustics of the room itself and how close you are to the device. It'll seem much quieter in a big, open living room, but loud inside a small enclosed den or bathroom.

Man, I thought I game a lot but those of you who need 2TB is just insane to me. Do you just keep every single game installed all the time? I typically have 4-6 AAA games (about 200GB) and a butt load of indies, 5GB of music and I still have 100GB left on my launch unit.

Perhaps, I am just blessed to have no data cap from my service provider. I can d/l anything I might have deleted in about 15 minutes if I feel the need to play again, but honestly, after I platinum a game and finish the DLC, I just see no reason to even keep it around.

You are blessed, I pay $110.95 + GST for 200 gb's a month only and we burn through that fast. $3/gb over my limit.

Part of the problem is the patches too. If I delete a game I own on disc, not only do I have to re-install it from the disc, but I have to re-download all the patches and on a slow net connection it's not as easy as popping the disc in.

Tetranet

Said back up HDDs are from the same manufacturer of the drives inside the PS4. Samsung.

Samsung does the QA on their own drives before shipping them out. I don't think Samsung is selective on the amount of QA they give to their drives be it in PS4's or their own off-the-shelf units. It's still the same company regardless.

The same companies have various product lines for a reason, different needs for different customers. Enterprise drives for example are on another level in reliability and price, compared to off-the shelf hardware.

Given the fact that HDDs are prone to many failures due to their mechanical parts (that's why it's common for knowledgeable people to run new disks through rigorous testing to decide if they can trust and keep them), I would be surprised if the drives supplied to Sony or Microsoft were the same stuff they put into cheap plastic cases. A quick search on the net will show myriads of faulty units and angry customers. How many PS4/XONE users have you seen claiming the HDD that came with their machine has been faulty and problematic? Same goes for OEMs like Lenovo, Dell or HP who include those HDDs in their laptops.

Besides, it's not Seagate or Samsun's brand at stake when the HDD proves faulty, but Sony's because it's them that put it into their machine. It doesn't have to be "made just for the PS4 specific model", or something the average user could discern on the sticker.

Like I said, take a look and compare the failure rates of backup HDDs and OEM HDDs and the answer is clear.

More space is one thing, but they need faster drives too. I put in an SSHD and it's significantly better in some games. Cheap too.

More space actually equals faster speeds because more is stored on the same space, thus the data density is higher. RPM isn't everything. http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1ou33c/ps4_hard_drive_tech_specs_upgrade_advice_and_more/

I also don't see the point of SSHDs in general. We're talking about a 8-16GB cache of flash, of which most will most likely be taken up by OS files, and who knows what will happen when that cache starts degrading. Speed increases are from the jump in data density and/or RPM. Seagate seems to have sold plenty of those anyway.

It's really not as bad as I expected.

I installed a 2tb drive in my system and have installed 32 retail discs, all of the PS+ games, and a boatload of additional digital only titles and still have 900gb free. I purposely installed every possible game in order to see how much space it would actually require and, well, there it is.
There's a basic fact — illustrated nicely by Dark's post here — which a lot of people are forgetting: We're all insane! lol

What was the tie ratio we got recently? Just over 4? That means that for every crazy person like Dark who owns 50 games, there are about 50 normal people who only have three. Towards the end of the generation, when tie ratios get up in to the 9-10 range, 500GB will still be enough storage for the average user to install their entire library, especially when you remember we're only getting close to 9 games per console because Dark will have 200 or more. For odd ducks like Dark and the rest of us here at GAF, they give you the option to upgrade the drive. That said, even a 2TB drive likely won't last the average Gaffer the entire generation, but again, there's nothing average about the average Gaffer. ;)

My guess is that the storage bump is driven primarily by the fact that we're probably getting to the point where it's actually easier for Sony to source 1TB drives than it is for them to get 500GB drives, as Brad pointed out. As a bonus, the extra storage will help them push the console as a home media server — assuming that's in the cards — as Jeff pointed out.

That said, I'm kinda surprised they're keeping the 500GB option around. Perhaps they'll announce a price cut "early" at E3, and drop the 500GB to $299, while having the 1TB available as a "premium" model at $349. The difference in the two drives certainly isn't $50 at Sony's end, so the extra profit on the larger model may help them get past any small losses they may normally incur on a $299 console at this point. Then later in the year, when costs are lower, they can phase out the 500GB model altogether, and drop the 1TB model to $299.

Chronos24

Try playing TLOU, Killzone or infamous first light for at least 20 min. The amount of stress put to the unit varies greatly from title to title. I went through 4 brand new ones. 1x 10xx model and 3x 11xx model. All went beyond 50dB in these games. It's not about playing a disc based game. While the disc spins during installation it stops completely when it's done. This is purely related to fan noise.

I'm with you my friend but I can confirm to you that being on my 5th, yes 5th PS4 (very long story and a lot of bad luck) that "quiet" ps4's do exist. There is a random post through tons of Google searching that 1 person may have stumbled upon finding out at least a contributing factor to fan noise especially the fan spinning up faster than it should. Thermal paste is on thing, but this person found that another possible manufacturing issue may be present. This guy noticed his ps4 fan, like many others was ramping up quick, and got the bright idea that the heat sink wasn't making full contact with the APU. Doing tests, he realized the fan was reacting immediately to whatever was going on on screen, or for example closing an application and the fan slowing immediately. He thought this couldn't be the case since the APU shouldn't and doesn't cool that quickly. He applied pressure to the area just above the fan on his ps4 and lo and behold, the fan went into super jet take off mode instantly, making him conclude that the system isn't quite catching the exact temp the APU is actually running at.

Now, my ps4's all did what he described with the fan reacting immediately and revving higher than it should, until the 5th one. This one, while playing TLOU for example, stays quiet for a long time and than fan will eventually go to stage 2 which is still not nearly as audible as before, and will stay at stage 2 until I close the application and after maybe 3 minutes or so will slowly go back to stage 1 which is totally silent. I believe the guy was really on to something there.

Tl:Dr- "quiet" ps4 does exist. Could be a manufacturing issue.

Chronos24

Was able to find what the guy said about his ps4. Here's the quote

A quick story to explain the reason behind my question.

Purchased a PS4 two weeks ago, and quickly found it to be obnoxiously loud. When playing any game the fan would very quickly run at a speed that just made an annoying amount of noise, even audible when using my headphones.

Out of curiosity I decided to press down in the middle of the top matte plastic section on top of the PS4 to see if maybe the heatsink inside wasn't making enough contact. Sure enough, as soon as I press down on it the fan starts going even faster. Let go and it goes back to normal, unless you keep it held down for a while. When you hold it for a while and then let go, the fan will actually go down to reasonably low levels only to go back up to annoying after 20 seconds or so. My guess here is that the heatsink makes contact when you press on it and the thermistor monitoring temperatures senses how hot the system is actually running and turns the fan up. Holding this for a while would bring temperatures down to reasonable levels and the fan would run at appropriate levels, then once pressure is removed, the system would heat back up and the fan would go along for the ride.

Anyway, I decided to purchase a second PS4 to see if it was any better, and just return the worse one. The new one's fan does not run as loud, though it is still louder than i'd like. This one has no fan speed change when I apply pressure.

The difference here is that the old one's fan would fluctuate wildly. For example, when playing Killzone SF you could instantly hear the fan speed go slightly lower the second you hit the options (start) button. It would also go almost silent the second you quit a game. The new one on the other hand takes about 5 minutes to go silent after quitting a title, and there is no fluctuation when pausing a game.

Biker19

Banned
I would've been all for this a year or two ago, but after learning about the problem UK PS4 owners have had with their accounts being hacked, Sony not refunding them, having accounts blocked and therefore losing all purchases...I'm a lot more positive towards physical ownership.

That's exactly another reason why I trust being digital only on PC more than on home gaming consoles.

LordOfChaos

Lower power consumption - are we expecting an APU shrink, or just the newer lower power GDDR5 chips? Or something else?

AmyS

I'm guessing the PS4 Slim will arrive next year that has fewer/denser, lower power GDDR5 chips and the APU shrunk to 16/14nm FinFET. I could be way off though.

Top Bottom