• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FCC Listing appears for the Nintendo Switch.

Tadaima

Of course tied to that but its also stuff they need done before they start having demo units etc. Have to get all that stuff FCC approved. 16 days before they start having hands on with the devices
Also, making FCC filings is a pain in the ass and can delay a product by several months if a product is rejected.

TLZ

Banned
[*]"AC Adapter input: AC 100 – 240 V, 50 / 60 Hz, 1 A" is a power brick with worldwide compatibility. This heavily points towards the console being region-free.

I plug my NTSCU Wii U into PAL socket directly so I don't think that matters.

rrs

yeah, I think it's just cheaper for nintendo to get one AC to DC converter that can handle everything than making local ones for every country

ggx2ac

Some interesting stuff in there. From a cursory reading:

• "AC Adapter output: DC 5 V – DC 15 V, 2.6 A" means the maximum total power draw of Switch is 39W, although obviously that would just be during charging (it's possible that it uses the 15V USB-C spec while charging and drops down to 5V when fully charged and running a game, but that's just my speculation). If so, it should charge pretty quickly (although this depends on the battery as well).

Haha I guessed right that total power output would be around 40W to account for all the USB ports in the dock.

This also means that the USB-C port isn't a Power Delivery port, so no 100W output. Just the standard 15W output.

ggx2ac

The fact that there is no removable battery was obvious from reveal.

There were no visible linings on the back of the device when we were looking for where the SD card would go.

Once it was confirmed that the SD Card goes into slot underneath the kickstand it became obvious that you couldn't open the Switch whatsoever, so no removable battery.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Haha I guessed right that total power output would be around 40W to account for all the USB ports in the dock.

This also means that the USB-C port isn't a Power Delivery port, so no 100W output. Just the standard 15W output.
D'oh, I forgot the USB 2.0 ports in the dock that will need to be powered and also the fan if there's one. That would be around 15~20W accounted just for those components when used.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Does that tell us how fast it will charge?

oti

Banned
No mobile internet option doesn't surprise me but it should pretty much kill the Switch as a viable platform for whale baiting F2P games. I'm not complaining, just throwing it out there since some people thought it was in the cards.

Also wondering if a YouTube App on the Switch could download videos onto the SD-Card for offline mode. If not then parents will still hand their phones to their kids in public or during car rides so the advantage of being a tablet is pretty much gone. Also wondering why to even bother with a web browser then but we've talked this through already.

There's always the option to use your phone and tether that internet connection to the Switch. Only an option for power users but still an option.

No mobile internet option doesn't surprise me but it should pretty much kill the Switch as a viable platform for whale baiting F2P games. I'm not complaining, just throwing it out there since some people thought it was in the cards.

Also wondering if a YouTube App on the Switch could download videos onto the SD-Card for offline mode. If not then parents will still hand their phones to their kids in public or during car rides so the advantage of being a tablet is pretty much gone. Also wondering why to even bother with a web browser then but we've talked this through already.

There's always the option to use your phone and tether that internet connection to the Switch. Only an option for power users but still an option.
Haven't seen someone with a tablet that has mobile internet in god knows how long (probably back in like 2011-2012?) so I don't know what argument your trying to make here.

Adding SIM Card support seems like a waste of time and resources tbh

oti

Banned
Haven't seen someone with a tablet that has mobile internet in god knows how long (probably back in like 2011-2012?) so I don't know what argument your trying to make here.

Adding SIM Card support seems like a waste of time and resources tbh

Of course it is (for me I might add, my phone will be better for browsing and Apps than the Switch anyway). But remember how people thought this thing would play Pokémon GO at some point?

I think there was/is a real chance of kids taking this thing with them outside since it is a tablet. But without mobile internet Apps won't work. And I've seen countless parents handing their phones to their kids in restaurants or out and about in general. They watch YouTube on them. It could be a real selling point to tell those parents that Switch can do the same thing as their phone.

AgeEighty

The big question is what does HAC stand for? Nintendo have usually used codenames abbreviations for model numbers.

"Handheld And Console"?

Was wondering that myself. All their past ones used the consoles' codenames; as far as I know this is the first one that doesn't.

Your idea is likelier than most.

MCN

Banned
Was wondering that myself. All their past ones used the consoles' codenames; as far as I know this is the first one that doesn't.

Your idea is likelier than most.

I'm sure I remember a rumour from months ago that said the Switch's model code would be HAC.

ggx2ac

Does that tell us how fast it will charge?

I'm not too certain, I think it's dependant on the battery it is using. We know it's a standard lithium ion battery for small devices but it didn't mention the Watt output and the current on the battery.

I expect it to have fast charging in the first place because USB-C can output at 3A when older USB types had 1A usually.

I don't think it will have Qualcomm's quick charge but, it already has a high Wattage output of 15W with USB-C and I'm not really expecting the Switch in portable mode to run higher than 7W otherwise Nintendo would need to put a large battery inside.

So basically, I would expect it to charge faster than the 3 hour times we are used to but I'll just guess that it shouldn't take longer than 2 hours.

Edit: I could be wrong about this because Qualcomm's Quick Charge uses an increase in voltage not current to charge things faster. https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge/faq
Although this is to make it easier to work across batteries with different current outputs.

TLZ

Banned
Not on my Wii U either, I had to buy new chargers when I moved from NA to PAL land.
Mine's NA and I'm currently in PAL land using it no issues straight into the socket. So this confirms it being universal. And it was confirmed years ago anyway and I thought this was common knowledge.

muteki

Fine by me. I trust the rechargeable battery included will last the lifespan of the console
It is highly likely to be the one of the first things to go, so it isn't that great.

That being said, by the time the battery has worn out you wouldn't be able to find an official replacement at a reasonable price/at all anyway.

I'm not too certain, I think it's dependant on the battery it is using. We know it's a standard lithium ion battery for small devices but it didn't mention the Watt output and the current on the battery.

I expect it to have fast charging in the first place because USB-C can output at 3A when older USB types had 1A usually.

I don't think it will have Qualcomm's quick charge but, it already has a high Wattage output of 15W with USB-C and I'm not really expecting the Switch in portable mode to run higher than 7W otherwise Nintendo would need to put a large battery inside.

So basically, I would expect it to charge faster than the 3 hour times we are used to but I'll just guess that it shouldn't take longer than 2 hours.

Edit: I could be wrong about this because Qualcomm's Quick Charge uses an increase in voltage not current to charge things faster. https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge/faq
Although this is to make it easier to work across batteries with different current outputs.

The Switch uses a Tegra chip. Those are made by Nvidia, not Qualcomm. Qualcomm Quick Charge is only compatible with their Snapdragon chips.

Power Delivery has 5 profiles, including an 18W (12V @ 1.5A) profile. I realize this isn't much better than 15W, but I don't see a reason to rule it out.

EDIT: Turns out that PD spec is outdated. Thraktor's post on the next page is up to date.

"HAC"? I kinda expected the model identifier to be NX or WLF (Wolf). So maybe neither are canonical codenames? That's usually how it goes (DOL, RVL, NTR, etc.)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Power Delivery has 5 profiles, including an 18W (12V @ 1.5A) profile. I realize this isn't much better than 15W, but I don't see a reason to rule it out.
In the bottom of that same slide:
"Additional capabilities possible as optional extensions to standard profiles"

Which explains the 2.6A distributed by the tested AC adapter which is not a standard source value.

"HAC"? I kinda expected the model identifier to be NX or WLF (Wolf). So maybe neither are canonical codenames? That's usually how it goes (DOL, RVL, NTR, etc.)
Wolf might be the codename used by Nvidia.

ggx2ac

The Switch uses a Tegra chip. Those are made by Nvidia, not Qualcomm. Qualcomm Quick Charge is only compatible with their Snapdragon chips.

Okay, I didn't know Qualcomm Quick Charge was restricted to their own tech as opposed to being something that can be licensed out to any device manufacture that isn't using a Qualcomm SoC.

The other part of my post was for comparing how Qualcomm Quick Charge works compared to USB-C.

USB-C (ignoring power delivery) either allows 1.5A or 3A to give 7.5W or 15W which will affect how fast the battery will charge which depends on how much current they let the battery draw in with charging as opposed to Qualcomm Quick Charge which just uses a voltage increase to work independently of any current output of any battery used in a Qualcomm device.

In the bottom of that same slide:
"Additional capabilities possible as optional extensions to standard profiles"

Which explains the 2.6A distributed by the tested AC adapter which is not a standard source value.
That AC adapter is almost assuredly for the dock, though, which needs some power itself. I'd be surprised if the Switch charges from it directly instead of off a regulator in the dock.

ggx2ac

You're probably right. The 13W to 39W output probably means it has a USB-C power delivery port. From the patents it's been mentioned Switch is using DisplayPort and DisplayPort over USB-C supports up to 100W over a single cable yet the dock has two cables, one for the TV output and the other for the AC Adapter.

While the Switch is docked you have the Switch, the USB 2.0/3.0 ports being powered and the power output for transmitting video and audio to the TV.

The reason why the output goes from 13W to 39W is most likely relevant to the leaks of the clock speeds. Developers aren't forced to have to upclock the RAM and GPU meaning they aren't required to have a Portable mode and a docked mode. The portable mode can be the same as a docked mode meaning the Switch won't draw in more power hence this could explain AC adapter ranging from 13W to 39W.

Considering the FCC filing is for a production prototype unit, it is likely then we don't have details on having an AC adapter strictly for charging the Switch with a cable without the dock.

Why 5GHZ wifi is great ?
This is my Internet on 2.4 ghz
pqH3LVA.jpg

Now on 5ghz

Top Bottom