• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Silent Hill 5 pics - They're better!

stuminus3

I am not in any way concerned about Silent Hill graphics, though I do wish the new game had the "wow" factor SH3 had.

I am concerned that I've played this game (and many variations of it) 5 times over now. Gonna have to do a lot better than "look, zombie nurses at weird camera angles!" for it to have any effect on me, Konami.

Manager

Manager said:
Seems like it was an upgrade, this one is from the last batch two weeks ago:

Someone changed his hair color, and the water is much better.

Here they are in the same resolution:

Three weeks ago batch:
16aa3ur.jpg

New:
5987620080515_174504_4_big.jpg

Caj814

So when are people going to stop calling this SH5?Didn't it get changed to Homecoming by Konami for a reason?:lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Caj814 said:
So when are people going to stop calling this SH5?Didn't it get changed to Homecoming by Konami for a reason?:lol
SH:HC sounds stupid.

Seiken said:
What's wrong with PS3 Siren? I tried out the demo and pretty much loved it. It's obviously not as good as Silent Hill 2/3 but it's certainly better than any other horror games this gen like Conshit 2 and (probably) SH5.
Oh nothing's wrong with it, I like it so I'd buy that before this new SH that's all (that's going from being a SH nut previously).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Danne-Danger said:
Oh nothing's wrong with it, I like it so I'd buy that before this new SH that's all (that's going from being a SH nut previously).
Though I found it pretty funny how Siren, which was announced just now, got better graphics than SH5 :/ What's taking them so long?

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
RiZ III said:
goatse monster, monster with vagina with teeth as a face.. I
don't
like where this game is going

Play Clive Barkers Undying and get to the final boss. I remember that made me go WTF?!?!

supercake

Manager said:
Here they are in the same resolution:

Three weeks ago batch:
16aa3ur.jpg

New:
5987620080515_174504_4_big.jpg

*shakes head* I'm confused right now. So the previous batch of screenshots were some kind of mistake, like from an earlier version?

How the hell can you make a blunder as obvious as that? I don't want to point out every mistake The Collective does like I'm a tattletell, but this feels unprofessional.

Great monsters from the OP! Good to see some variants on the buttholes and vaginas that plague horror games these days... One of them has teeth. And really what's worse than a vagina with teeth?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, at least the characters have been reverted to the pre "OMG WHAT THE HELL" pictures released before, the guys Hair isn't a single texture, his jacket is better (Actual polygons for the Flash-Light and Walkie Talkie yey!) and generally looks ok, still not exactly "next gen" looking though.

That said, if the game plays well I can live with clean if slightly uninspiring graphics, especially when I remember those pictures from before, still makes me wonder why the hell they were released to the press.

Mau ®

supercake said:
*shakes head* I'm confused right now. So the previous batch of screenshots were some kind of mistake, like from an earlier version?

How the hell can you make a blunder as obvious as that? I don't want to point out every mistake The Collective does like I'm a tattletell, but this feels unprofessional.

Last batch of screens were from a beta. I too wonder why would they let the marketing team release screens on such state.

Its not The Collectives fault, Id blame the marketing or PR team who is handling the account. For some reason they dont know when to realize when a screenshot its good looking or not and when its early. A very common problem in the industry if you ask me. There should be a 2 week training program to learn that shit. It should cosist of playing the best games of all time and reading GAF at least 4 hours a day. :lol

Yoshichan

inthezone said:
The graphics looks OK. I gotta give it to them though, the atmosphere is definetely there and the ambient music is OH SO FUCKING GOOD. Thank God for Yamaoka!
The ending in that cutscene scared the living shit out of me -_-...

Mau ®

Seiken said:
The ending in that cutscene scared the living shit out of me -_-...

I couldnt bring myself to watch it fully, not because I was scared but because I really wanna go fresh into the game.

Yoshichan

inthezone said:
I couldnt bring myself to watch it fully, not because I was scared but because I really wanna go fresh into the game.
No, trust me. The scary part I'm talking about won't be in the full game. It's exclusive to the trailer, trust me. Watch the ending.

supercake

Seiken said:
No, trust me. The scary part I'm talking about won't be in the full game. It's exclusive to the trailer, trust me. Watch the ending.

Are you talking about "The Plot Thickens" video? :D :lol

Despite the nagging, the game still looks like its shaping up to be good. So long as they fix Alex's weird mouth problems, his mouth stays open during the scene, haha. All minor things so far.

Yoshichan

supercake said:
Are you talking about "The Plot Thickens" video? :D :lol
Yeah, the last 5 seconds :p

Vaxadrin

Banned
Well I just read IGN's hands-on and this game actually sounds like fun.

I now retract my prior pessimism and anxious await its release.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It doesn't look too bad in videos. There is something about the lighting that seems really impressive for some reason. Still, the level of detail isn't where it should be. Did anyone catch the end of the video with the "Missing" posters? After the scene, the woman Alex was talking to literally floats back onto the chair. Of course, it's still an early build, but that was just awful.

JDSN

Banned
The thing that I hate the most (besides the bad graphics, lead character, new studio, Konami's decision to effectively fuck up the series and people that want this :D ) is the way the monsters are so blatantly symbolic that they forgot to make them scary, and ironically that makes them feel like what they are supposed to mean is not important because the player is not disturbed by them. Its almost as if they picked a bunch of psychological issues from wikipedia and made monsters out of it.

Mau ®

Seiken said:

lol I just watched it.

Maybe its a hint that she's a floaty ghost =P

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
dark10x said:
It doesn't look too bad in videos. There is something about the lighting that seems really impressive for some reason. Still, the level of detail isn't where it should be. Did anyone catch the end of the video with the "Missing" posters? After the scene, the woman Alex was talking to literally floats back onto the chair. Of course, it's still an early build, but that was just awful.

It scaried me more than the rest of the trailers. I definitely wasnt expecting that.

Someone should make a game based on technical glitches...

WordAssassin said:
I'm glad the OP posted the whole slew of pictures because I'd totally forgotten I made this a while back:

SilentHillWires.jpg

No stretch of imagination is needed to see that would make a much more interesting game.

http://www.gamevideos.com/

The gameplay on display here looks like shit biscuits.

Camera is constantly getting in the way, big ugly red damage icons appearing out of nowhere. And you're just randomly slugging until the dog dies. The gameplay looks worse and slower then the older games.

Danielsan

Game is looking a lot better judging from those videos. Textures still seem prety damn low res though. Also is it just me or does Alex sport the same hair as Nathan Drake?

Things I didn't like: clunky combat, crappy dialogue (what's that guy doing...), enemy design :(

The music and atmosphere in that cutscene are great though.

Top Bottom