• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Silent Hill 5 pics - They're better!

WordAssassin said:
Why are you so against it?

Guy's got issues if he goes to Silent Hill just to cop a feel.
Then again seeing as how he may never escape he'd probably want to make the best of it, guess I can't hate on that can I?

I wonder what would happen if you tried to make a move on one of the nurses?

Say, like, you were trapped in Silent Hill, and you were like, "Ok, fuck this, I'm never getting out. Might as well make the most of it." (as you said)

So you see a lone Nurse in a room, and you get into a tussle. She's hell bent on killing you because she's evil but you knock the knife out of her hand and place your hand over her breast. Or maybe you're really crazy and you plant your palm between her legs. What would she DO? She's likely been wandering around alone for years and years, killing everything that makes any noise around her, and then this hulking ex-marine comes along, pins her to the ground, gets her blood all pumping and then starts in with some heavy petting? Would she go all limp and let it happen or would she get REALLY feisty and try to wrangle her way on top?

Ok this is something I need to stop thinking about. WTF am I writing?

Edit: Ergh what if she got all horny and tried to kiss you? I wouldn't want to be like "Baby... your face... not so much." and hurt her feelings but at the same time, that bod--ok I need to stop.

WordAssassin said:
I wonder what would happen if you tried to make a move on one of the nurses?

Say, like, you were trapped in Silent Hill, and you were like, "Ok, fuck this, I'm never getting out. Might as well make the most of it." (as you said)

So you see a lone Nurse in a room, and you get into a tussle. She's hell bent on killing you because she's evil but you knock the knife out of her hand and place your hand over her breast. Or maybe you're really crazy and you plant your palm between her legs. What would she DO? She's likely been wandering around alone for years and years, killing everything that makes any noise around her, and then this hulking ex-marine comes along, pins her to the ground, gets her blood all pumping and then starts in with some heavy petting? Would she go all limp and let it happen or would she get REALLY feisty and try to wrangle her way on top?

Ok this is something I need to stop thinking about. WTF am I writing?

Edit: Ergh what if she got all horny and tried to kiss you? I wouldn't want to be like "Baby... your face... not so much." and hurt her feelings but at the same time, that bod--ok I need to stop.

I'd rend her beef curtains asunder. With fury.

With a body like that, I'd regret nothing.

By the way, the game is looking really, really nice now. They revamped the protagonist's design again, thank god. The animations (especially with the nurses movements) seem more fluid, and the grain filter's in effect. Definitely getting excited for this one again.

nib95

Banned
WordAssassin said:
Oh, no doubt. The nurses are fine as hell, in the games and the movies. Just throw a bag over the face, and damn. Pert breasts, tight tummies, nice hips and thick thighs, yum yum.

True. I need to get my other half a nurse outfit lol. :D

disappeared said:
I'd rend her beef curtains asunder. With fury.

With a body like that, I'd regret nothing.

By the way, the game is looking really, really nice now. They revamped the protagonist's design again, thank god. The animations (especially with the nurses movements) seem more fluid, and the grain filter's in effect. Definitely getting excited for this one again.

I'm pretty sure the nurses would be pretty messed up down there.

Ever seen the movie Teeth?

diablopanqueque said:
I'm pretty sure the nurses would be pretty messed up down there.

Ever seen the movie Teeth?
So grab a broken chair leg and clean it out first. Shit, do I need to hold your hand through this?

*vomits*

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, those new stills are looking a full generation better than that bad batch a month or so ago.

sgu49e.jpg

16ib0c4.jpg

eve241

I knew the graphics would improve a lot (and to a good standard). That's why it pisses me off when people start whining about unfinished/in-development technicalities in games.

Endow said:
I knew the graphics would improve a lot (and to a good standard). That's why it pisses me off when people start whining about unfinished/in-development technicalities in games.

I think a lot of people were concerned because SH5 did the opposite of what we're used to. Normally a game will look iffy from the start, and then improve over time. But SH5 initially looked quite good (way back last year with the EGM cover story). Then, for some odd reason, it dipped down to near last-gen standards with last month's screens. Now we're back up to snuff. Will we find out why those awful shots were even released? Who knows.

Hopefully the character models have got some complex shading going on that makes them look much better in motion than in screens.

screenshot5.jpg

It would have been awesome to have this level of detail in SH5. Damn you MS and Sony for not waiting three years and fitting your consoles with SLI 9800GX2s! :p

When characters look that detailed in games I don't think I'll even want to kill them. It's going to get to the point where it's like killing a real person.

Hesemonni

Banned
disappeared said:
When characters look that detailed in games I don't think I'll even want to kill them. It's going to get to the point where it's like killing a real person.
When characters look that detailed in games the uncanny valley is going to hit you so hard that either you'll be too freaked out to even play it or the only thing you want to do is kill them.

disappeared said:

Then i'll say "Finally" and hopefully it will be the time when the videogame industry will start to provide the public with something different and better then some damn giant shouting mechanical spiders ...

I hope Konami's planning to release either a special edition of the game or include an OST like they did with SH3. Yamaoka never seems to disappoint with his stuff.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Games Radar is applying disgusting amounts of JPG compression on those shots. Hell, you can even see the blocks in his coat. I'd say its hard to judge the game on these, wait for lossless or at least ones that have a better quality setting.

With the game only about four months off I'm kind of tempted to go blackout on screens and media from now on. Way back in 2001 I almost OD'd on SH2 pre-release material, and then again with SH3 and SH4. I kind of just want to chill until September and be more surprised.

EtherSnake, are you with me? Blackout time? Any other SH fans?

disappeared said:
With the game only about four months off I'm kind of tempted to go blackout on screens and media from now on. Way back in 2001 I almost OD'd on SH2 pre-release material, and then again with SH3 and SH4. I kind of just want to chill until September and be more surprised.

EtherSnake, are you with me? Blackout time? Any other SH fans?

sadly no. I need to keep looking at media to convince myself to buy this fucking mess.

TheJollyCorner said:
sadly no. I need to keep looking at media to convince myself to buy this fucking mess.

To me the game is actually starting to look really good. They've finally got the grain filter in place (at least it was there in the GT video), the animations are looking good, Alex's character model has been suped up, and the nurses are looking smokin'.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
but, why is everything so.... gray?

It's not dark enough, there are barely any blacks. Everything looks muted, grey, offwhite tints etc... its kind of strange, not being any real darkness.

It's like... fog without fog. Odd.

shv_sept_14.jpg

Seriously, those nurses are hot! I love Silent Hill games, but I don't want to be attracted to the enemies...I can't stop looking at her breasts!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
John Harker said:
but, why is everything so.... gray?

It's not dark enough, there are barely any blacks. Everything looks muted, grey, offwhite tints etc... its kind of strange, not being any real darkness.

It's like... fog without fog. Odd.
The reasoning for the lack of darkness is quite simple. Flat panel displays have obviously become popular and their inability to properly display black has a very negative impact on darker material. If you go back and try Silent Hill 2 on an LCD, for intance, you're eyes will be assaulted by the washed out backlight of the LCD. During the CRT days, one could simply use completely darkened areas and it would look great. Doom 3, for instance, literally removes all shadow detail from its darker areas. This looks pretty good on a CRT but goes to hell on most flat panels (unless you turn on the lights).

Basically, they can't continue to design horror games in this way. Siren PS3 worked around this by using lots of crazy screen filters to fill in the darker areas. Each developer basically has to come up with some way to solve this issue. The older Silent Hill method doesn't work well with anything other than CRT televisions.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
disappeared said:
I think a lot of people were concerned because SH5 did the opposite of what we're used to. Normally a game will look iffy from the start, and then improve over time. But SH5 initially looked quite good (way back last year with the EGM cover story). Then, for some odd reason, it dipped down to near last-gen standards with last month's screens. Now we're back up to snuff. Will we find out why those awful shots were even released? Who knows.

Wii version confirmed!:p

tha_con

Banned
dark10x said:
The reasoning for the lack of darkness is quite simple. Flat panel displays have obviously become popular and their inability to properly display black has a very negative impact on darker material. If you go back and try Silent Hill 2 on an LCD, for intance, you're eyes will be assaulted by the washed out backlight of the LCD. During the CRT days, one could simply use completely darkened areas and it would look great. Doom 3, for instance, literally removes all shadow detail from its darker areas. This looks pretty good on a CRT but goes to hell on most flat panels (unless you turn on the lights).

Basically, they can't continue to design horror games in this way. Siren PS3 worked around this by using lots of crazy screen filters to fill in the darker areas. Each developer basically has to come up with some way to solve this issue. The older Silent Hill method doesn't work well with anything other than CRT televisions.

It's sad too. Plasma's aren't so bad...but man, LCD's and some DLP's are just terrible.

Makes me sad playing SH2 on this little LCD I have with me...soooo hard.

Top Bottom