• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Silent Hill 5 pics - They're better!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Danielsan said:
Game is looking a lot better judging from those videos. Textures still seem prety damn low res though. Also is it just me or does Alex sport the same hair as Nathan Drake?
I think Alex looks a lot like Alan Wake, to be honest.

RagnarokX

I don't like the apparent focus on combat being placed. Also, durring the kill animation it appears as if he is floating half an inch above the ground and the ground is moving under him as the camera moves.

supercake

RagnarokX said:
I don't like the apparent focus on combat being placed. Also, durring the kill animation it appears as if he is floating half an inch above the ground and the ground is moving under him as the camera moves.

I noticed the dog's corpse shift towards him in the first video.

Danielsan said:
crappy dialogue (what's that guy doing...)

Agree, but it's still nowhere near as bad as "What the Hell?"

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
inthezone said:
lol I just watched it.

Maybe its a hint that she's a floaty ghost =P
:lol :lol

Guess i'll also post em here.

New Silent Hill screens.

shh_logo.jpg

PS3:

SHH_PS3_1.jpg

SHH_PS3_2.jpg

SHH_PS3_3.jpg

SHH_PS3_4.jpg

SHH_PS3_5.jpg

SHH_PS3_6.jpg

SHH_PS3_7.jpg

XBOX360:

X3601.jpg

X3602.jpg

X3603.jpg

X3604.jpg

X3605.jpg

X3606.jpg

X3607.jpg

LMAO @ PS3 screens.

and LOL @ at the enemy designs.

Watched the videos..., still don't like, looks OK, just OK graphically, but still dosn't feel a SH game, with those atrocius enemy designs. Even the improved combat dons't look too improved with those half assed animations.

supercake

ezekial45 said:

Eh, I don't like the slash effect the knife leaves on the nurses. It looks cheap, not violent. Like going into MS Paint and smearing a red line.

I'm actually tired of being negative about the game, since these new screenshots have really redeemed the game for me. I'm not 100% convinced it's going to be incredible, but at least Alex has hair now.

shagg_187 said:
Guess i'll also post em here.

New Silent Hill screens.

PS3:

XBOX360:

is this real? the difference between ps3 and 360 I mean. I don't think it's acceptable to have that big of differences this far into ps3 life cycle

Zenith

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Just saying, there's always been weird shit like this in SH5.

yeah, but they had original intangibly creepy designs. these ones are just derivative and uninspired, where they've just randomly stuck various limbs and genitalia on people and hoped it would create a silent hill vibe.

The video clips actually look pretty darn good. Few kinks to solve out and this will be an quality game. On the vids PS3 version seems to be on par with X360 version too.

One super freaky thing though, check "The Plot Thickens" and wait for the cutscene to end

Zenith said:
yeah, but they had original intangibly creepy designs. these ones are just derivative and uninspired, where they've just randomly stuck various limbs and genitalia on people and hoped it would create a silent hill vibe.

Opinion noted, I dunno, I'm just waiting to see how the enemies and the story plays out. Trying to judge things in a Silent Hill game just based on screenshots just... something about that doesn't work. I mean I thought the SH3 monsters looked retarded in the screens, I mean an early screen depicted Heather shooting the HUGE ass creature with a submachine gun. I didn't think that was very Silent Hill-like. But the game ended up being incredible, at least IMO.

but I will say that I truly hope those PS3/360 screenshots aren't an indicator of what to expect between the two different versions. I don't have a 360 or plan on getting one and there's no excuse for the PS3 version to not look as good.

Danielsan

The game just doesn't capture the feel of Silent Hill. The monster designs are way too clean and look just plain wrong. Take a look at the dog in the video for instance.

Now compare that to a dog you'd find in Silent Hill 3
sniffer_1.jpg

Furthermore the game's lighting simply fails, the contrast between the darkness and the pocket flashlight (SH trademark) is virtually non-existent. The game lacks darkness. Also not present at the moment are the grain filter and the raw textures. As someone mentioned earlier, the game looks way too sterile.

This is what a Silent Hill game should look like:

SilentHill2-1.jpg

SilentHill3.jpg

Kuran

Banned
Why does the game have to prompt us to press X to "climb down" "squeeze through" "jump over" ?

Why can't the guy just automatically squeeze through when you push forward? Isn't that the best solution?

explorer

Fuck it. I'm back on the Silent Hill bus after those videos.

I like the atmosphere.

I like how the main character talks. He's direct, not like typical english dubs on Japanese games where the main character makes every statement sound like a question, i.e.: "but aren't you Maria....???" His voice is rough and direct and does not sound like a pre-pubescent boy (I'm looking at you DMC4). He speaks like a soldier would speak. "I'm here for my brother...no time for grab ass." I like it...

I like the facial expressions, although Alex's teeth need a little work. Ah hell, he probably saw an army dentist so that explains it ;)

Lighting is pretty good and always present. Definitely an improvement over those abortions we saw a couple of weeks back.

I'm officially back on board. Sue me.

P.S. WTF with the floating girl tho :lol

explorer

Kuran said:
Why does the game have to prompt us to press X to "climb down" "squeeze through" "jump over" ?

Why can't the guy just automatically squeeze through when you push forward? Isn't that the best solution?

...Not when you're in the middle of a fight.... I dunno, just using experience from other games.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Callibretto said:
is this real? the difference between ps3 and 360 I mean. I don't think it's acceptable to have that big of differences this far into ps3 life cycle
What are you seeing? Because I can't tell a difference, especially at that resolution. It doesnt help that the screens are from totally different areas either. If you are pointing to the fact that the 360 shots have AA, its no wonder why since they are not even 720p, they've been resized. I'd guess that the same thing was done with the "ps3" shots, but it looks like they used nearest-neighbor which would not smooth edges.

Edit: I just checked the press site. The PS3 shots are 720p (looks like quinix AA?) and the 360 ones are resized to 640x360 using bilinear filtering. But still, I fail to see how comparing totally different environments/lighting somehow shows the differences between the versions. Maybe you can tell me what you are seeing that I'm missing.

Garcia

:lol :lol :lol The girl floating back was insane!!!

Also...the fuck is wrong with their teeth? Did they eat a flashlight or something? Also, faces tend to look really stiff 50% of the time.

Nevertheless I'm a fan of the series, I'll be playing this :D

Jesus Christ , the enemies' animations are amazing!!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The animations are awesome!

Woot, game is back on track, hopefully. :D

tha_con

Banned
rofl, in the "The Plot Thickens" trailer, there are scenes where he's talking, but there is zero lip sync.

Awesome.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Of course people here can't change their opinions right? If they bitched when it looked good, then bitched when it looked bad, they won't stop bitching at this point.

Oh well, at least for the OTHER SH fans we'll have a new SH to enjoy.

Kittonwy

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Of course people here can't change their opinions right? If they bitched when it looked good, then bitched when it looked bad, they won't stop bitching at this point.

Oh well, at least for the OTHER SH fans we'll have a new SH to enjoy.

Whatif it's not enjoyable?
Indifferent2.gif

Dot50Cal

Banned
tha_con said:
rofl, in the "The Plot Thickens" trailer, there are scenes where he's talking, but there is zero lip sync.

Awesome.
The game is friggin early dude. I don't even know why they showed this footage since its just going to let ignorant people like you spout off about how awful it is that xx doesn't sync, or that the sound cuts out. Do you really lack the knowledge of how a game is built?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kittonwy said:
Whatif it's not enjoyable?
Indifferent2.gif

Oh yeah because you would know this already and it would warrant complaining about a SH game that looks identical to any SH game (moreso than 4 did too!).

"Oh cool! A new Silent Hill game! Oh wait what it's not made in Japan?! Hmmf this does not look good! Ho ho ho! The game looks like crap! Oh wait now it doesn't anymore? Visible damage on the enemies based on where you hit them? Far improved animations? Less repetitive combat moves? More emphasis on melee combat than in SH 3? Real-time world transformation? Same good old SH music? Same atmosphere? Good voice acting? Well err.... pfffff! It's not scary! They got it all wrong! I'm canceling my pre-order!"

Kittonwy

Banned
tha_con said:

Awesome.

You alone out here?
Indifferent2.gif

I can't move my lips.
Indifferent2.gif

What teh hell is going on?
Indifferent2.gif

Everyday more people can't move their lips.
Indifferent2.gif

Look around you, nobody can move their lips.
Indifferent2.gif

tha_con

Banned
Kittonwy said:
You alone out here?
Indifferent2.gif

I can't move my lips.
Indifferent2.gif

What teh hell is going on?
Indifferent2.gif

Everyday more people can't move their lips.
Indifferent2.gif

Look around you, nobody can move their lips.
Indifferent2.gif

lmfao.

Funniest damn post in NeoGAF history...I'm dying. :lol :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kittonwy said:
What did you say? Your lips aren't moving.
Indifferent2.gif

YOU ARE SO FUCKING FUNNY!

HAHAHAHA

HA
HA

And because I didn't get it the first time:

HA!

Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif

Please post more.

Ok, the new screens are a little better. It still looks slightly bland and washed out, but it is improving. The videos looked pretty good and the music and sound effects sort of give it that proverbial Silent Hill feel. Some of the animation is off, but the combat engine looks noticeably improved. I am looking forward to it.

ssoass

Relaxed Muscle said:
LMAO @ PS3 screens.

and LOL @ at the enemy designs.

Watched the videos..., still don't like, looks OK, just OK graphically, but still dosn't feel a SH game, with those atrocius enemy designs. Even the improved combat dons't look too improved with those half assed animations.

Err... the PS3 version looks better than the 360 version.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ssoass said:
Err... the PS3 version looks better than the 360 version.

Looks more aliased.

Anyway those screens are tiny.

This is probably the best screenshot of the game so far (and that includes old screens)

X3606.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the actual enemy design but the texturing on them is really cool.

Mau ®

All these glowing impressions are nice but I cant help but feel Konami had a hand on that. Gorgeous Graphics? Incredible amount of detail? Yeah I aint seeing that just yet :(

Although I like what I see in the videos.

Top Bottom