• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Silent Hill 5 pics - They're better!

it looks a lot better. however i thought that going from foggy sh to the otherworld in this one was seemless (i.e. no loading). from that trailer it looked like the shift & the nurse coming out of the stall was a cutscene to mask loading.

also, why is there a visible health bar?!

phil_fish

seriously.
fuck this game.

no matter how close to the original games the collectives manages to get to, the fact remain that those guys, even if they really get SH, are basically imitating the originals.
even if they manage to infuse the game with some personal vision, they are still following a formula established by others. in my eyes, the best case scenario for the collective remains total failure.

the silent hill series (especially SH2) were always to me some of the very few games id consider "auteur games" (which is something i am for and want more of). these games were the direct product of a very clear vision born from a handfull of brilliant minds. they always felt intimate to me. like there was very few resistance between the original vision and the final game. the games were pure. you just cant emulate that kind of genius. you're doomed to failure. if you stick to close to the formula it becomes derivative, and if you take too many liberties, then it simply isnt a silent hill game anymore.

konami simply dosent give a shit about SH anymore.
first the room (which started as its own IP and was eventually forced to "become" a silent hill game, and it showed), then a bastard PSP version and then a shitty lightgun arcade game? and finally this.

RIP silent hill.
you had an impact like few other series.
you made your mark.
ill always have fond memories of you.

fuck SH5 and fuck the collective.

suzu

Looks better than the old screenshots, but still looks bad. Only change in the main character's model is they made him a brunette, lol.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
phil_fish said:
pfffttt, so NOT good enough, I'd do better, Konami are sellouts boo hoo

Really. Your whole post is meaningless, it's empty, you provide no arguments, nothing, it's just annoying.

WickedLaharl said:
it looks a lot better. however i thought that going from foggy sh to the otherworld in this one was seemless (i.e. no loading). from that trailer it looked like the shift & the nurse coming out of the stall was a cutscene to mask loading.

also, why is there a visible health bar?!

I think this is the first time the world transforms, so it's a "cinematic" (still real-time tho, not a fade out). But I wouldn't be surprised if later in the game it did so right in front of you as you move around. Either way, at least you see the change and that's cool:D

Erebus

phil_fish said:
seriously.
fuck this game.

no matter how close to the original games the collectives manages to get to, the fact remain that those guys, even if they really get SH, are basically imitating the originals.
even if they manage to infuse the game with some personal vision, they are still following a formula established by others. in my eyes, the best case scenario for the collective remains total failure.

the silent hill series (especially SH2) were always to me some of the very few games id consider "auteur games" (which is something i am for and want more of). these games were the direct product of a very clear vision born from a handfull of brilliant minds. they always felt intimate to me. like there was very few resistance between the original vision and the final game. the games were pure. you just cant emulate that kind of genius. you're doomed to failure. if you stick to close to the formula it becomes derivative, and if you take too many liberties, then it simply isnt a silent hill game anymore.

konami simply dosent give a shit about SH anymore.
first the room (which started as its own IP and was eventually forced to "become" a silent hill game, and it showed), then a bastard PSP version and then a shitty lightgun arcade game? and finally this.

RIP silent hill.
you had an impact like few other series.
you made your mark.
ill always have fond memories of you.

This sums it up for me! :D

By the way, IGN has uploaded a preview of the game.

phil_fish said:

Jesus, I'm sure they're not out to deliberately destroy the series out of spite or something. Blame Konami, not them.

The Collective is probably in over their heads, of course, and really this was a no-win situation for them no matter how good or bad the game turns out, or how different or how similar it is to the earlier games. But ultimately fuck Konami for mishandling their properties, not The Collective.

I still think the game will could be pretty solid. Just nowhere near the masterpieces that the first three games were.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
And bigger screens!

silent-hill-homecoming-20080515093041653.jpg

silent-hill-homecoming-20080515092545956.jpg

Okay, after watching the videos, I must say that things are looking better. However there are still soooo many things they need to fix for this game to not be shitty.

Lets get rid of the glowing mouths, for one thing.

Just scrap the 3D blood spray, and use 2D textures. Right now Alex's blood looks like Venom from Spiderman 3 appearing and disappearing around his body.

The monsters need that pool of blood to leak out from under them when they die.

I like the wound marks on the enemies when you hit them. Make those look less like someones drawing on them with a big magic marker.

Loose the HUD. All of it.

Cut back on the "press X to climb, open door, push through, duck down, put right foot in front of you, and now put left foot in front of you. Either make these automated, or loose the annoying HUD prompts. When people play Silent Hill they will be pressing the "action" button 90% of the time they run into something. We don't need the constant visual prompts.

Make it so that when characters talk to each other, they actually look at each other. Alex looks like a zombie in these cutscenes.

Make everything darker.

Use the "Silent Hill" filter for god's sake. Everything looks way too clean.

That's some of the improvements for starters. Get on it Collective.

Seiken said:
Though I found it pretty funny how Siren, which was announced just now, got better graphics than SH5 :/ What's taking them so long?
That's the thing though, I don't think Siren have any major advantage over SH5 in terms of graphical effects and whatnot, it's just the different ways in how they use them. You can't really see the quality of the textures in Siren because they use darkness and lighting the way they do, you don't notice the graphical... "issues" and they manage to add a ton of atmosphere in the process. With SH5 they just don't seem to know how to use the tools they have to make an atmospheric game, it all looks so flat (from what I've seen so far).

I'm really worried about how this game will turn out.

Kittonwy

Banned
Big Icarus said:
Okay, after watching the videos, I must say that things are looking better. However there are still soooo many things they need to fix for this game to not be shitty.

Just scrap the 3D blood spray, and use 2D textures. Right now Alex's blood looks like Venom from Spiderman 3 appearing and disappearing around his body.

I like the wound marks on the enemies when you hit them. Make those look less like someones drawing on them with a big magic marker.

Cut back on the "press X to climb, open door, push through, duck down, put right foot in front of you, and now put left foot in front of you. Either make these automated, or loose the annoying HUD prompts. When people play Silent Hill they will be pressing the "action" button 90% of the time they run into something. We don't need the constant visual prompts.

Make it so that when characters talk to each other, they actually look at each other. Alex looks like a zombie in these cutscenes.

Make everything darker.

I don't like button prompts I don't know why they need a button prompt for climbing over a window and things like that. And I seriously don't get the knife combat, it used to be that when I play SH games weapons benefit me when it comes to their reach, here Alex is basically trading damage with the nurse unless you mash the button and spam the nurse with knife strikes, I don't mind if you can use a kick to keep your distance, for me it's about managing the enemies in terms of reach, I'm not a big fan of the knife.

Kittonwy

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
That's the thing though, I don't think Siren have any major advantage over SH5 in terms of graphical effects and whatnot, it's just the different ways in how they use them. You can't really see the quality of the textures in Siren because they use darkness and lighting the way they do, you don't notice the graphical... "issues" and they manage to add a ton of atmosphere in the process. With SH5 they just don't seem to know how to use the tools they have to make an atmospheric game, it all looks so flat (from what I've seen so far).

I'm really worried about how this game will turn out.

That's just because Toyama directed Silent Hill and knows how to make a horror game, and the horror games might not be what the folks at the Collective are necessarily good at making.

M3d10n

Why, Capcom, why?

(Just kidding)

They seriously need to get their graphic programmers updated with the latest tricks. It still looks within the bounds of the original Xbox in most pics :/

Woah, I just saw the videos at GT and it looks VERY cool. Not very good, but very cool. It looks a lot like SH1, which is great. I just thing the character´s teeth look a little too bright :lol

panda21

i wonder if the slightly underwhelming graphics are anything to do with their transitioning between the different worlds thing? i remember seeing a developer vid where they i think they claimed it was going to be realtime

the 'take your medicine' video one looks more like a scripted cut scene than a dynamic thing though.

i think if they did use it dynamically in the game (which would be pretty neat) it would probably go some way to explaining why it looks slightly dodgy, because that would take a fair bit of processing power.

Big Icarus said:

Make everything darker.

Doesn't seem to me that what this game needs is to refine graphics to be improved.
To me, it needs to be trashed and reworked by a group of deep minds, not deep fans of the series and Ben Affleck movies.
They had the Twilight Zone of the videogames in their hands, and here i am watching at a cheesy bug screaming and biting his arm...god.

M3d10n

panda21 said:
i wonder if the slightly underwhelming graphics are anything to do with their transitioning between the different worlds thing? i remember seeing a developer vid where they i think they claimed it was going to be realtime

the 'take your medicine' video one looks more like a scripted cut scene than a dynamic thing though.

i think if they did use it dynamically in the game (which would be pretty neat) it would probably go some way to explaining why it looks slightly dodgy, because that would take a fair bit of processing power.

This is Silent Hill. You're mostly walking on corridors and interior areas, and even the streets aren't that expansive. In such restricted environment it's possible to take the most out of a system and push detail levels to the maximum: just look at the last gen SH games, or other games with similar environments. SH:HC is on a system with 20 times the amount of texture memory than a PS2 and that can easily push 50 times more polygons, not to mention the additional graphics features. These subpar graphics are inexcusable, specially given the franchise's track record.

Also, the development process feels like a fan-made project at times. If they're still at such early of a phase were we get to see screens with/without proper water reflections then it'd be better to just stop releasing media until things have matured some, instead of releasing screens so SH forum-dwellers can do the QA for them.

Kittonwy said:
You alone out here?
Indifferent2.gif

I can't move my lips.
Indifferent2.gif

What teh hell is going on?
Indifferent2.gif

Everyday more people can't move their lips.
Indifferent2.gif

Look around you, nobody can move their lips.
Indifferent2.gif
I don't know what vids you are watching but in my "Plot Thickens"-video there is at least some kind of lipsync
Indifferent2.gif

iamblades

WordAssassin said:
I'm glad the OP posted the whole slew of pictures because I'd totally forgotten I made this a while back:

SilentHillWires.jpg

The blue dude having his arms behind his head and the green dude peeking from the cell make the pic.

:lol

Also the tit grab is a nice touch, obvious (what with those giant melons and all) but still nice.

:lol

SPEA said:

All else aside, am I the only one who thinks the voice acting is actually better than it has been in past games? That's something positive at least.

EDIT: Wow, I hope they fix some of the obvious bugs in this game. I know better than to judge a game before its final version, but damn... there is a lot of work that needs to be done here.

Mau ®

NaughtyCalibur said:
All else aside, am I the only one who thinks the voice acting is actually better than it has been in past games? That's something positive at least.

Yeah I thought that too. Most characters from SH talk like if they've been on Prozac for years.

Except Heather. <3

pgtl_10

I never played a SH game but I noticed they are using over-the shoulder perspective like RE4. That's great but why were their only two enemies in the entire video? If a game is going to have a RE camera angle it really needs more bad guys in less wide open spaces.

mittelos

Vish said:
I wonder what diseases I would get if I put my stuff in one of those nurses.

Good question. The nurses are what, undead? If so, I think that makes them immune from disease. My advice- hit it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I am not with many gaffers on this, the game looks great in motion and it has the potential to be a great game (notice the qualifier).

The hate train may be justified with the first screens, but seeing actual gameplay makes me think that this could not be the horrible pile of crap we all think it may be.

Ether_Snake said:
And bigger screens!

silent-hill-homecoming-20080515093041653.jpg

silent-hill-homecoming-20080515092545956.jpg

Shit, those look nice!

Visually, it looks like they got the formula right. Can't freakin' wait! Plus, I love the redesign of the main character. Looks more mature.

Also, I left the screens for the quote since they're awesome.

Phatapata

Neo Member
Hmm... Seems to be improving - but at somewhat of a snail's pace.

I REALLY have my fingers crossed for this game, but I'm cautiously optimistic based on the media I've seen so far. Ether_Snakes pics give me at least a small ray of hope that it's heading in the right direction.

Finally... -__-

Ganondorfo

They have 3 things right about silent hill

-the weird conversation between the main character and that girl (aka B acting)
-the sound effects, music by akira yamaoke
-town of silent hill

SolidSnakex said:
According to them Pyramid Head is in the game.
Right, possibly another bastardised version of the Pyramid head :/

I wish they'd stop living off SH2's glory and create something as unique and inspired. Those screens look damn fine, though, especially the Alex close up.

Ceb

SolidSnakex said:

Ugh.

Btw, the game looks pretty good in stills again. The recent GT vids are h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e though.

I'm beginning to accept that the SH I knew is dead. Bring on Heavy Rain as the new champ in the smart "adult" thriller genre (see, Ether Snake, I'm anticipating that even though it's not made by a Japanese developer!).

Morue

Those screens look quite good. I'm starting to regain a little hope for this game... But I absolutely HATE the way the nurses move (it was actually one of the things I hated the most about the movie...).

PH again? Pffff... Didn't understand why he was in the movie... It's probably gonna be the same here...

Kabuki Waq said:
well gameplay seems to be better. but it seems secondary to you guys.
SH is probably the only franchise where I consider gameplay to be less important than nearly everything else.

Ceb said:
I'm beginning to accept that the SH I knew is dead.
Having a hard time accepting that myself. But the evidence is certainly there :(

Magicpaint said:
SH is probably the only franchise where I consider gameplay to be less important than nearly everything else.

it just seems like you guys want Sh2 remake?

all the complaints seems to be "omg why is this different from SH2?"

Kabuki Waq said:
it just seems like you guys want Sh2 remake?

all the complaints seems to be "omg why is this different from SH2?"
If you read my recent post, you'd see me hinting at the opposite. I think the game has no identity of its own exactly because it's trying to rip off nearly everything about Silent Hill 2. I had the same problem with origins, but probably not to the same extent.

dmshaposv

What I don't get is how they spent more polys on Alex's hair than on the environment.

But yeah, whatever. Don't downgrade it collective. At least you've got something right.

Alex

I think it looks pretty great, and the PSP game was good too, but I really wish they would be allowed to work off of their own virtues and talent than being chained to Silent Hill's corpse.

There's really no point trying to revive it. It's such a specific, difficult to hit style, and even though they have their heads in the right place with trying to improve all of SH's busted mechanics, it winds up working against them.

I'll still pick it up though, I do think it'll be good, I just wish they had stopped the SH train after 3.

SolidSnakex said:

What? Why? Is there a valid reason for him being there, or are they just tossing him in for fan service like the movie did? If it's the latter, then I already dislike this game quite a bit.

Ceb

Kabuki Waq said:
well gameplay seems to be better. but it seems secondary to you guys.

Maybe the person playing the game in the vids just sucks. Every encounter with the dogs is like a near-death experience. It looks clumpsy, and the QTEs... urgh.

No, gameplay doesn't really seem to be better at all. Having to manually adjust the lazy camera all the time seems like a bother too.

nib95 said:
I'm strangely attracted to the women in this game.
Oh, no doubt. The nurses are fine as hell, in the games and the movies. Just throw a bag over the face, and damn. Pert breasts, tight tummies, nice hips and thick thighs, yum yum.

Top Bottom