• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Strider game? (XBLA/Steam Leak)

You're complaining about the story as if the whole game had more than 30 minutes worth of cutscenes. Who gives a fuck?

Dude, I can talk about pick-ups and collectibles being fucked up, the moronically designed radiation walls, the bad voice acting, horrible dialog, obnoxious in-game advertising, poor character design, etc.

I will give it credit for having the best title screen/main menu ever though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dude, I can talk about pick-ups and collectibles being fucked up, the moronically designed radiation walls, the bad voice acting, horrible dialog, obnoxious in-game advertising, poor character design, etc.

This is the #1 reason why I don't want to go back to the game and finish it, the dissonance produced from the pseudo-open real world. It really is a downer when you want to use some area as a platform or swinging point and you just realize that you've broken "the rules."

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Dunno what to think about Double Helix making the game. Looks like they already have a relationship with Capcom after the fairly good port of DMC1-3.

But everything else on their resume is suuuuuuuuper meh. I'm still excited, just not hopeful.

Tain

Not crazy about the art in the OP.

Given those pictures and the info, no reason to get excited just yet.

Just yet.

charsace

You sure know nothing about Strider. It's owned by like 3 other companies, its amazing Capcom were able to get Hiryu into MvC3. It's a legal nightmare to green-light anything Strider.

I owned the shittacular sequel on the genesis. I might not know everything, but I know that other companies mishandled the franchise (US Gold the fucking cocksmokers).

Something can be stupid and negatively affect something (often significantly) without being prominent itself.

I thought the twist was shitty myself. Thing is, it was a 12 hour game that 95% of the time focuses on presenting new and exciting gameplay scenarios for the player. I couldn't give any less of a fuck if the story is dumb. Although there's a great deal of world building if you bother to read the detailed dossiers/files.

Compare it to something like Assassins Creed 2 which objectively has awful combat and copy-paste mission design throughout a 25+ hour campaign that has a HUGE emphasis on a story that's both mysterious and engaging. Only to get bitch slapped in the lost 5 minutes of the game with a "lol alienz" ending. Then you have the right to be pissed about going through all that shit, only to be greeted with the most heinous videogame ending of all time.

So cut the smartass remarks, the five people that actually finished the game weren't playing it for the story.

The collectibles situation is shitty, not arguing that. But they're literally there only for trophy purposes, there are far worse examples of horrendous and glitchy trophies this gen, they have no impact on finishing the game.

The radiation in some parts of the game is questionable. But it's obvious by tell of the purple smoke for 90% of the time. It's an overblown complaint.

Other than advertising, the rest of your complaints are pretty subjective. I personally enjoyed what little dialog and story the game had to offer. Sure the twist was awful, but I was engaged throughout. From your post, you must've thought that Bayonetta was a steaming turd then.

Wonko_C

Why does BC 2009's radiation walls get flak when countless other games do the exact same thing with their "Return to the battle-designated area!"

I thought the twist was shitty myself. Thing is, it was a 12 hour game that 95% of the time focuses on presenting new and exciting gameplay scenarios for the player. I couldn't give any less of a fuck if the story is dumb. Although there's a great deal of world building if you bother to read the detailed dossiers/files.

Compare it to something like Assassins Creed 2 which objectively has awful combat and copy-paste mission design throughout a 25+ hour campaign that has a HUGE emphasis on a story that's both mysterious and engaging. Only to get bitch slapped in the lost 5 minutes of the game with a "lol alienz" ending. Then you have the right to be pissed about going through all that shit, only to be greeted with the most heinous videogame ending of all time.

So cut the smartass remarks, the five people that actually finished the game weren't playing it for the story.

The collectibles situation is shitty, not arguing that. But they're literally there only for trophy purposes, there are far worse examples of horrendous and glitchy trophies this gen, they have no impact on finishing the game.

The radiation in some parts of the game is questionable. But it's obvious by tell of the purple smoke for 90% of the time. It's an overblown complaint.

Other than advertising, the rest of your complaints are pretty subjective. I personally enjoyed what little dialog and story the game had to offer. Sure the twist was awful, but I was engaged throughout. From your post, you must've thought that Bayonetta was a steaming turd then.

My man.

Defunkled

So if I plan on going to Cliffy B's keynote, which ends at 11:30, will I even have a chance of getting into Capcom's panel at 12:00? If they really are announcing something Strider-related I would like to be there.

Mechazawa

The radiation in Where The Hell Is My Wife Commando got weird and obtuse sometimes, but from a gameplay standpoint, that game was fucking awesome. Tons of great platforming segments and the combat was phenom, especially against the Hadouken mechs.

One of the best multiplayer games of this gen, too.

The radiation in Where The Hell Is My Wife Commando got weird and obtuse sometimes, but from a gameplay standpoint, that game was fucking awesome. Tons of great platforming segments and the combat was phenom, especially against the Hadouken mechs.

One of the best multiplayer games of this gen, too.

Man, I think I only got to play like 3 matches and I still fucking loved it. The only online game where I actually scored decently because I got so good at swinging from the single player. Game didn't sell nearly enough for the mp to be even remotely active sadly.

You're complaining about the story as if the whole game had more than 30 minutes worth of cutscenes. Who gives a fuck?
Because it was THAT BAD of a plot point and also retroactively makes even Rearmed worse because they stuck the stupid missing wife plotline in that too and now you can't play it without thinking ARMILY.

I can think of few games whose narratives have as much contempt for their players as BC3D.

Music was really good though.

Why does BC 2009's radiation walls get flak when countless other games do the exact same thing with their "Return to the battle-designated area!"

Because Bionic Commando's walls could kill you within seconds?

Anyway, I hated the game for the reasons given, others did not. The stink it gave off in regards to unwanted gritty reboots is one of those defining things of this gen I will look back on and frown. A memory I wish I could strike from my mind.

Anyway, let's talk about something we can be excited about! Er, potentially! Strider!

kazuo

This game is going to be garbage just like every other reboot/reimagining that comes out on XBLA/PSN.

Isuke the only guy that can do a Strider game properly.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Those games don't get flak? Halo 4 got flak for it (partially because it was never there in it's predecessors), I'm sure other games did too for breaking the immersion and/or gameplay. It's actually counterintuitive to gameplay. When you want to reach some collectible on the edge of radioactivity it can get frustrating, especially when the game is simultaneously trying to market a 'swing everywhere' illusion.

Assassins' Creed is a good example of it done right.

Hmm, it's kind of hard to tell, but the little portrait looks kinda Senri Kita-ish

jbf1LsxRyoc9nhp7bD5yxC6ko1_500.jpg

dock

Am I alone in disliking Strider 2 on PS1/arcade?

Obviously US Gold's Amiga/Spectrum Strider 2 was worse, but I always worry when people try to reboot Strider.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

FlyFaster

Oh man, I would LOVE a new Strider.

Played the first one growing up and played the shit out of Strider 2 on PSone.

I really wish they'd re release Strider 2 on PSN because used copies are hard to find/expensive.

Here's hoping for a Strider 1&2 pack before the new Strider game!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I dont want VJ3 by Capcom without Platinum

That's the surprise!

I'm really thinking Strider may not be one of the announcements though. I mean D&D we know for sure from the achievements and it was flat out announced. But that Strider logo is from ages ago.

No reason to think it's coming right now, especially in light of what Sven said.

but then again it's Sven so

Top Bottom