• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Suikoden announced for PSP

Labadal

duckroll said:
I dunno, I was kinda young in '85. Probably crushing ants and killing insects, but not dreams and hopes! :p

Tell that to the ants and insects you killed. You may have killed a future queen. :(

Edgeward

Labadal said:
Question about Tierkreis. I know it is a disappointment for Suikoden fans, but if you rated it on its own, is it any good? I have been thinking of buying it, but would need some clarification if it is an ok game.

Even without the Suikoden name tying it down, it's just decent. Story starts off promising but really doesn't pay off, characters lack any depth and suffer from horrible VA. And there is a pretty high encounter rate and you can randomly run into some mid boss level-like enemies more frequently than you would expect. And the battles are piss easy until you get to the last boss, then it is such a shift in difficulty.

Labadal

Edgeward said:
Even without the Suikoden name tying it down, it's just decent. Story starts off promising but really doesn't pay off, characters lack any depth and suffer from horrible VA. And there is a pretty high encounter rate and you can randomly run into some mid boss level-like enemies more frequently than you would expect. And the battles are piss easy until you get to the last boss, then it is such a shift in difficulty.

That sounds like Suikoden 4 to me. :p And I though that game was an ok game. Maybe I'll give it a go, since it isn't very expensive. I just wanted to know that isn't a total train wreck.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Labadal said:
Question about Tierkreis. I know it is a disappointment for Suikoden fans, but if you rated it on its own, is it any good? I have been thinking of buying it, but would need some clarification if it is an ok game.
Personally, for some reason (ha, we all know the reason), Tierkreis was hard for me to get into, so I had to restart it a few times to get it done.

+ Musical score is excellent. Excellent.
+ Background art is really nice to look at. Character art can be too.
+ Plays like a good ol' fashioned turn-based RPG.
+ Narrative is ok.

- has almost nothing to do with the Genso Suikoden lore, setting or tension outside of the 108 Stars of Destiny; lacks the Suikoden flavour
- some of the voicework is lol
- characters lack some depth

Overall, it's a good RPG. It is not a good Suikoden game, however.

That sounds like Suikoden 4 to me. :p And I though that game was an ok game.
I liked Suikoden IV (it isn't the most... "remarkable" game, but I liked it). And Tactics (which fleshes out IV's world/worldbuilding/universe and narrative quite a bit).

Additionally, Suikoden IV's music kicked ass.

suzu

Tierkreis was all right. At least this isn't pachinko..

I give up on hoping for another main-line game. D:

N9ojZ.jpg

told you we get a new suikoden soon :D

they could tie the worlds together if they wanted to. maybe it was the plan all along? nobody wants tierkreis to continue, it doesn't make sense.

leroidys

Labadal said:

Yeah it was great, honestly. Certainly the best paced RPG I've played on DS.

I would 10000x prefer a new mainline game to this though. Anyday. I would prefer a PSN release of Suikoden II to this in fact.

Augemitbutter said:
did you even check previous posts in here?

Sure, I knew those numbers and to be a portable game with a very low-budget (compared to PS2 for example) it did well; in Japan, 40k to sell as the last mainline game.

Shouta

I enjoyed Tierkreis quite a bit despite some of it's shortcomings so I look forward to this. I'm not as invested in the main suikoden storyline like others are though so. I thought the ending in Tierkreis was pretty cool too, especially most Suikoden games kinda flounder there.

electroplankton said:
Sure, I knew those numbers and to be a portable game with a very low-budget (compared to PS2 for example) it did well; in Japan, 40k to sell as the last mainline game.

low budget? suikoden had exceptional production values for a DS RPG. they didn't handle it like a second rate title, so i don't get why you try to spin its reception around.

Augemitbutter said:
low budget? suikoden had exceptional production values for a DS RPG. they didn't handle it like a second rate title, so i don't get why you try to spin its reception around.

Lower budget than a home console game, for sure. It did cost less than Suikoden V, and in Japan it went to sell slighly less.

gogogow

I don't understand why Konami doesn't make a mainline Suikoden for the PS3. Other devs have proven to be successful, like Gust, From Software, Namco Bandai and Nippon Ichi.

I enjoyed Tierkreis a lot personally, only downside to it was the amount of dialogue. It sticks out more than the game itself for me.

Kyoufu

gogogow said:
I don't understand why Konami doesn't make a mainline Suikoden for the PS3. Other devs have proven to be successful, like Gust, From Software, Namco Bandai and Nippon Ichi.

Because Konami thinks it'll survive with just Metal Gear and Winning Eleven.

Definitely my least favourite Japanese publisher.

Durante

I have very mixed feelings about this. Well, for better or worse I'll probably never find out if it's actually good, since it's on PSP and won't be localized.

gogogow

Kyoufu said:
Because Konami thinks it'll survive with just Metal Gear and Winning Eleven.

Definitely my least favourite Japanese publisher.
They haven't released a successful MG outside Japan for more than 3 years. I can't believe a gaiden, MGS Rising is taking them so many years. I would've thought 2 years max for a sidestory game. And Fifa is beating the living hell out of PES with more than 15 million copies sold. Konami is seriously running out of franchises if they treat them like shit.

Coxy

So like Tierkries, possibly developed by Tri-Ace and on a system that basicly ensures no western release. I don't think this could possibly be a more depressing announcement :(

duckroll

Coxy said:
So like Tierkries, possibly developed by Tri-Ace and on a system that basicly ensures no western release. I don't think this could possibly be a more depressing announcement :(

I don't think tri-Ace is involved, or they would have mentioned it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kuran said:
I wish we'd get a new Vandal Hearts, worthy of the first games art, music and characters.

0000001658-L-ef33b72.jpg

How about this? Came out on PSN/XBLA a year ago.

What are the odds of this seeing the light of day in the US?

Glad they are bringing Suikoden back, but I was pulling for a Vita/3DS game.

duckroll

mikeybwright said:
What are the odds of this seeing the light of day in the US?

Glad they are bringing Suikoden back, but I was pulling for a Vita/3DS game.

About the same odds as seeing Frontier Gate and Stratus released in the US.

Acosta

duckroll said:
About the same odds as seeing Frontier Gate and Stratus released in the US.

Stratus will come!

:(

Meh, if PSP wasn't a rotten corpse in west it could. I'm sure it´s a easier sell than Infinite Space.

duckroll

Acosta said:
Stratus will come!

:(

Meh, if PSP wasn't a rotten corpse in west it could. I'm sure it´s a easier sell than Infinite Space.

I'm not so sure. It's much more Japanese than Infinite Space, especially in the tone and setting. Infinite Space had appeal to niche hardcore PC gamers, while the only appeal for Stratus seems to be towards mecha anime fans. Mecha anime doesn't really sell well in the US, and I cannot think of a single truly successful mecha anime style videogame in the US.

The theme is popular online, but I have a feeling a lot of those interested either won't buy the games, or they just pirate stuff. Who knows. Look at ZoE for example...

woah i'm disapointed ..

Part of my brain wants a new suikoden game , but another part was wishing for a Nice suikoden HD in the same vain as suiko 1-5 ( more like 5 or 2 but in HD ) .. Seeing as it is on PSP is disapointing to the least ..but I'm trying to not judge it untill i can see screens & hint at the battle system ...Teikreis was NOT my cup of tea ... and while i'm tipying this i'm still fighting my overall disapointment to stay SANE..

Acosta

duckroll said:
I'm not so sure. It's much more Japanese than Infinite Space, especially in the tone and setting. Infinite Space had appeal to niche hardcore PC gamers, while the only appeal for Stratus seems to be towards mecha anime fans. Mecha anime doesn't really sell well in the US, and I cannot think of a single truly successful mecha anime style videogame in the US.

The theme is popular online, but I have a feeling a lot of those interested either won't buy the games, or they just pirate stuff. Who knows. Look at ZoE for example...

Yes, it´s true that the heavy customization of ships and crew and the whole Space Opera thing attracted people that wouldn't normally play a Japanese game. I remember people interested on it in a few PC centric forums. I wonder how it did, I guess it had a very limited run (I bought it fast just in case).

Stratus looks so interesting... I like games that mix different mechanics. I guess I'll wait some months for a miracle and import it if jgaf impressions are good enough. Using walkthrough it´s more bearable with handhelds.

duckroll

Acosta said:
Yes, it´s true that the heavy customization of ships and crew and the whole Space Opera thing attracted people that wouldn't normally play a Japanese game. I remember people interested on it in a few PC centric forums. I wonder how it did, I guess it had a very limited run (I bought it fast just in case).

Stratus looks so interesting... I like games that mix different mechanics. I guess I'll wait some months for a miracle and import it if jgaf impressions are good enough. Using walkthrough it´s more bearable with handhelds.

I just hope Nudemaker gets to keep making games! :D

Arcblade said:
Suikoden 3 was the last one, chronologically, right?

With the 3 heroes?

Right.

Off the top of my head, the order of the games is

IV-V-I-II-III.

V through III take place reasonably around the same time frame (within a dozen years or so) but IV is like a couple centuries before.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's nice, Konami. But it isn't Suikoden 2 on PSN. >:|

Top Bottom